You are here

House Key

SunnySkies's picture

SO moved in just over a year ago, although been together for 10 years. It is MY house, and SS18 and SD15 stay EOW and one night in the week. I hate the situation as it is anyway. When SO moved in he asked about keys for the kids. I wasn't entirely happy about letting them have one, but agreed that they could have one key each, not to be used when it wasn't their weekend here and if they lost it they wouldn't get another one. Well a few weeks ago SS was going out and SO said let yourself in as you are going to be back late. SS stood in front of us and said I haven't got a key as you said SunnySkies didn't want us to have one. WTF? So I said to SO I thought you had given them one each, he said I did. So today, SO has gone to see his mum with SD, SS has gone out with his GF and said he would be back a bit later. I said well I might be in and out but if I'm not in I won't be long. SO then said, it's OK he has a key. I said I didn't think he had one, SO said I got another one cut. I said the rule was one key only, and at that point they all left. I am fuming. He has completely gone over my head with my rule. I asked him about a key recently as I was concerned he might let himself into my house with his girlfriend when we're not there, and as we found out he didn't have one I felt more relieved, now I know he's got one it's back in my head. I'm at breaking point with our situation as it is and this is just another nail. I was so much happier when we didn't live together.

jam's picture

I would like to share what happened to my brother who allowed his daughter and her lazy boyfriend to move in. The daughter and the boyfriend deliberately picked a fight with my brother. The boyfriend started punching my brother and then his daughter jumped in. My brothers 2 year old grand baby was there and they called the police and told the police that my brother hit the baby and so he was arrested. The police advised my brother that if the daughter and her boyfriend got a protective order on him that he would be locked out of his own home. My brother complained to the police that his dd's bf kicked in the door and the police had the attitude that they lived there and could do what they wanted.

My brother loves his grandson and would never hurt him. I had warned my brother before they moved in that this could happen but they showed up at his door with no place to go. They bounce from place to place and family member to family member and do not work other than they are good at working the system. Anyway, I share this to tell you to be careful and not find yourself locked out of your own home.

edited to say: the baby had gotten smacked in the face during the scuffle. Instead of his sorry dd getting the baby out of harms way she jumped into the middle of the fight.

bearcub25's picture

OUr work keys say Do Not Duplicate. Yeah, we have all found that one place that doesn't care if you pay them cash to cut a key.

Somuchdrama's picture

I don't trust the skids and BM enough for them to have a key. I also don't want skids in the house when we are gone because I am sure they would go through our stuff to gather information for BM. If we aren't home, neither are they so no need for a key.

MissElphaba's picture

Anyone else think it's a shame the lengths we have to go through to make sure crazy people don't invite themselves into our homes?

SunnySkies's picture

I completely get where you're coming from Cat. In isolation this one thing sounds a bit pathetic but as we all know it's never just about one thing. I was happy with the arrangement we had which was living separately - I didn't normally see him EOW and did my own thing and enjoyed time on my own. I can understand that after 9 years he wanted us to live together but my choice was to wait until the skids were independent and not around all the time. So I suppose I gave in because I didn't want to lose him, but now I will probably lose him anyway as I can't live like this and I don't think he will want to go back to our previous arrangement. I don't have kids BY CHOICE, and am not a kid person, I just thought I could deal with it and that maybe the skids wouldn't be around as much as they are. I talked to him when he got home and he said sorry and that he would get the key back but that wasn't really the point. Well the evening went from back to worse and we are barely talking to each other this morning.

Rags's picture

Rekey the locks and get a monitored security system. No one in unless someone is home to let them in.

End of problem.