You are here

UPDATE: My stepsis is acting weird...

stepkid123's picture

Hi, my name is Kevin. In my original post, I wrote this:

"Okay, I didn't know if this was the right place to post this so if it isn't I'm sorry.

First off, I'm not a parent, but I am a stepchild. Two years ago, when I was 16, my dad married another woman. She had a daughter who was 15 at the time and we all moved in together. We all got along pretty well. I go to a local college now but still live at home(stepmom's orders--inside joke). Anyways, over the last six months or so, though, my stepsister has been acting weird.

Whenever we're around my dad and stepmom, she kind of acts like a bitch to me. Not a really really mean bitch but just kind of mean and blows me off a lot, like she's better than me or something. Any time we're alone, though, like if we're both in the kitchen getting something to eat or we cross each other in a hallway, she tends to be physically aggressive, like she'll hit me in the shoulder, like joking, or tap the back of my head with her hand. Also, when my parents aren't around she doesn't talk mean to me. She's friendlier to me and asks me lots of questions about myself, like about my girlfriend(I don't have one) and even makes crude jokes that are kind of sexually suggestive. She NEVER does this when our parents are around so I don't know what it means.

It's just worried me because of certain situations that have made me uncomfortable. Like, one night a couple of weeks ago, maybe a month, we were all in the basement(we converted our basement into a family room with a home theater) and were watching a movie. After the movie was over our parents went upstairs to get a snack and go to bed. I changed the channel to cartoons or something and my stepsister got up from the chair she was sitting in and sat neck to me on the sofa. It's a big sofa, though, and she sat on the far end. After a view minutes she laid back and stuck her feet in my lap.

Aside from her punching me in the shoulder or hitting me lightly in the head, this was the first time she ever made intentional physical contact with me. I didn't know where to punch my arms so I sort of just laid them on top of her shins. Then, she started making light-hearted conversation and even went so far as to put her bare feet on my face, but laughed as she did. It didn't seem like she was trying to be mean, it was more like playing. I played along and laughed but was really confused.

Ever since that day, the contact has become more frequent. Two weeks ago I was putting some dirty laundry in a basket in my room and my stepsister happened to walk by. She ran in and hit me with an open hand on my butt, then ran away and laughed. From then on, anytime I walk past her when my parents aren't around she'll hit me on the butt and laugh. I have to basically walk sideways past her to avoid getting hit.

Now, she also emails me webcam pics of herself usually sticking her tongue out or making a funny face.

The physical contact, emails of webcam pictures and the conversations have gotten more and more frequent. She still talks and acts the same around our parents, but different when we're alone. Not that it matters, but even though I think my stepsister is cute, I've never told her or given her a reason to be flirty with me. Am I doing something wrong? I don't know what to do next."

After talking at length to a lot of the kind people in this thread about what I should do, I finally decided to just sit down with my stepsister and talk to her candidly and honestly.

Whew... what a conversation. We spoke for a few hours last night and a LOT of stuff came out.

Late Friday night, our parents went over to their friends' house down the street and my stepsis and I had some time for privacy. I was strong and just laid down the law, sat her down, looked her in the eyes and asked some hard questions.

I brought up all of the things she'd done over the past few months that confused me. The physical contact and the sexual innuendo in the jokes and comments she'd make when we were alone, the change in behavior and stuff when we're alone.

After about 20 minutes of me bringing all of this stuff up, she looked caught. She couldn't look me in the eyes and kind of lost that talkative confidence she usually has around me.

Then she did something I never expected she'd do. She started crying. Not bawling, just quietly crying. Tears coming down but not crazy screaming crying.

I asked her why she was crying and she asked how I couldn't tell. I gave her a hug to try and console her because I didn't mean to make her cry. She asked if I even thought she was pretty and I said I did. She asked if I had feelings for her and I told her that I thought she was awesome, that she was my sister now and I loved her and, even though she was my stepsister, I felt like she was my best friend, too, since we spend so much time together.

THEN, she admitted that she felt the same and that she loved me. Not stepbrother/brother love, but that she was IN LOVE with me.

Then, a waterfall of confessions came out of her. She admitted that she'd had a crush on me since we first met when our parents started dating and that she'd been confused about her feelings for a long time and that, a few months ago, she decided not to be confused and to act on how she felt.

I started to sweat and get nervous. I didn't know what to say. Then, she kissed me. Out of nowhere, she kisses me. I know it was wrong, but I kissed her back. I felt like I was losing control of the situation.

I told her that we should dial things back and slow down and think about what it would mean to the family if we kept going in that direction.

I told her that now that we've made these confessions to each other, we should talk more openly to figure things out to see what we want to do and what would be best. She agreed.

And, in another bone-headed move, we kissed some more.

Anyways, that's where it ended last night. I'm thinking of moving out to give myself some space from my stepsis to see if maybe that will cool things down. THEN I can talk to my dad privately about some of the things that have happened to ask for his advice. I think he's suspicious, anyways. I know my dad and it seems like he knows more than he's been letting on.

Whew! Well, that was a mouthful. I know some of you will be disappointed in what happened, but I wanted to be honest and share what happened. It's still a work-in-progress and I look forward to hearing whatever comments you have since you guys have been so cool to me so far.

oneoffour's picture

Hmm, cute non-blood related girl living with you. Teenage boy. That is toruble right there. I know of cases where exchange students have had to move out because they got involved with the host family's son/daughter.

I would move out for a while. She has been burning this candle for a long time and I suspect she has been holding other guys (more socially acceptable) at arms length while you are close by and potentiually 'available'.

Make it very clear to her that if your parents found out they would separate you both anyway so moving out is good for both of you. Make some joke like "And if we still feel the same at 60 and our parents are both dead then we can try again!" Don't make it seem like you are getting away from her because that will hurt her dreadfully. And you seem like a nice guy who doesn't want that to happen.

You may want to speak to your S/Sister and suggest you both talk to your parents together... We find we are attracted in a more than platonic way. This could get very embarrassing for everyone so I will be moving out for a while so everyone can get a clear head.

Good luck. And suggest she dates one of your friends...JK!