You are here

There are No Options for Defiant Troubled Teens

frustrated-mom's picture

I’ve spent the last two days talking to admissions counselors for programs for troubled teens and it’s insane that there really are no options for dealing with a girl like SD15. It’s so frustrating that the legislation meant to “protect” kids has taken away all the options for parents.

There’s no sending her to some sort of boot camp that will straighten her out. It seems like all the camps/schools/programs for troubled teens focus on things like building self-esteeming. They’ve all been pussified by all the lawsuits and are all therapy based programs that are severely limited by laws and honestly seem more scared of what a kid could do to destroy their business than actually helping these kids learn to follow rules and discipline.

I’m at a loss as to what to do with her if she does have to come live with us (she is currently living with her aunt & uncle in another state, but she wants to move back to her home state and says she’s going to do it whether DH approves or not. If she does run away, then DH says he has no choice but for him to drag her butt back here). SD told him she absolutely refuses to live here and threatened to make our lives a living hell if he forces her to move back here.

While part of me would love to see my DH step up and tell her that she’s living here whether she likes it or not, I do not want to deal with what she will do to retaliate, especially the impact that will have on my DS and what she might do to him.

So, I’m back to wanting to send her to some sort of program for troubled teens (I had been looking for one last summer), but I cannot find any that would work and the lack of options is very frustrating.

I would love to send her to a boot camp style program, but there aren’t any except for kids who have been arrested for serious crimes or gang activity. After all the lawsuits and news stories about kids dying at boot camp style programs, most were closed and most are now outside of the US.

SD15 has not escalated to the point where she is in trouble with the law or is doing drugs (that we know of). Her issues are simply being utterly and totally defiant towards her father and me.

When she was living with us last year, she intentionally failed 9th grade and would do things like throw away her homework that her dad made her do rather than turn it in just to piss him off. If she chooses to do well in school, she can. This school year living with her aunt & uncle she is an honor roll student and scored high enough on the PSAT that she’ll probably be a National Merit Semifinalist. But as soon as we make her move back here, she will go back to failing as a way to retaliate. She doesn’t give a crap about her future, only getting her way.

She refuses to comply with anything her father says. She insists she’s an adult and wants her dad to f**k off and leave her alone and to live with her half-siblings back in her home state.

I spoke to an admissions counselor from one of the more academic therapeutic boarding school who said SD15 would first need to complete another treatment program or wilderness camp before being admitted so she would be less defiant, realize she needs to change and be willing to participate in their program. (If she was willing to be there and realized she needed to change then why would I need to send her?)

I called all of the wilderness programs they recommended and none of them will accept SD15 since she has a history of running away, is currently threatening to run away, has a place to run, people to help her run and outdoors experience. It’s too big of a threat to them and they can face lawsuits and negative media attention when one of their students gets lost. (I laugh at how these programs want only want to take “good kids” who have trouble with things like ADHD, low self-esteem, depression and are “underachieving”, not kids with real problems that they have to deal with).

But honestly, these wilderness programs are nothing more than summer camp for brats. They make a point on their websites to say they are not boot camps but group therapy in a “nurturing” outdoor environment where they build up kids’ self-esteem rather than breaking them down and help them understand how to make positive life choices. :sick: It really is hoping singing around a camp fire will help change these brats.

I don’t give a darn about this girl getting therapy. What she needs is someone to force her to understand that she has to do as she is told whether she likes it or not.

One of the therapeutic boarding school’s admission reps said they that would take her, but even he admitted that the teen will get out as much as they put in and he didn't see SD as a good fit. In SD‘s cause, that is like throwing away $60k we don’t have since she won’t even try and will do everything possible to get kicked out and they can’t even stop kids from running away. There are only alarms on the doors.

There is very little these programs can do with non-compliant kids. They can take away privileges like TV, phone or makeup, but they can’t do much else. They physically can’t make kids do anything. Some of them even promote themselves as being “non-punitive”. So, you can pay $60k for your kid to do nothing and no one to do anything about it. What a great scam they have going.

There are so many laws and rules, these programs’ hands are tied. They are all for-profit so they cannot risk losing their licenses. No matter if these teens are defiant brats who won’t do what their parents say and make their lives a living hell. Their rights have to be protected. So that means coddling a bunch of brats and making them feel better about themselves instead of forcing them to comply with rules and authority.

I cannot deal with this girl back in my home again and there seems like no help out there.

LilyBelle's picture

In what state do you live?

Some states have laws to help parents deal with these type situations.

In one state where I have lived.... parents can ask for a referral to the family court system, and a sort of parole officer is assigned, and the kid has to do mandatory meetings with officer as well as family therapy sometimes.

If the kid refuses to go to school, runs away, or is truant, the officer can be called to get them, and they'll be assigned community service, and if they keep on being disrespectful, the state sends them to a boot camp program.

Does your state have a program like this in family court?

frustrated-mom's picture

We're in the southwest (edited for privacy). I'm not sure if DH wants to go a legal route, since he could then go after her half-siblings for kidnapping, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, etc. It really depends on how much he wants to escalate. If he had her arrested for running away, then things would be much worse for her. I'm not against it, but I'm not sure he wants his daughter to have a juvenile record or her half-siblings to be arrested. It's only going to make them all hate him more.

LilyBelle's picture

The program I know of is on the east coast. Would not work.

DH is gonna have to make some tough decisions.

Can he make a boot camp environment in the home? I've known some parents to do that successfully.

frustrated-mom's picture

DH was in the Army for 8 years so yes, he could do it. The problem is how SD would react and the fact that she enjoys making things difficult. He's tried to get tough last time and her reaction is to be more defiant. By the time he sent her off to her aunt & uncles, she had lost every possible privilege and wasn't speaking to him and was doing nothing he said.

Her goal is to prove that DH is as horrible as she thinks he is so she enjoys making him have to be the bad guy. Then she gets sympathy from her maternal relatives and they all get to tell her how horrible her dad is and how he hates her and is terrible to her. DH having to be the drill instructor would play right into that.

frustrated-mom's picture

Her half-brother is only 19. There's no way he's responsible enough and we don't even know where he'll be living. Her half-sister is responsible enough but does not have time (she's in college and working part time). All last year all SD wanted was to go live with her half-sister and we did look into it.

SD's BM lived in WA. DH was there when he was serving in the military. When BM had her kids taken away about 10 year ago, DH gave guardianship of SD to her maternal grandmother, who passed away about 2 years ago.

And this is what irks me about the grades - because she gets good grades, everything is fine? I hate that she manipulate us with failing in school. She'd probably do fine if she was living with her half-sister, but why should a 15 year old dictate where they live and learn that it's fine to manipulate people like that?

LilyBelle's picture

why should a 15 year old dictate where they live and learn that it's fine to manipulate people like that?

She shouldn't! You are right!

But, unfortunately for this child, you are not her parent.

Her father has to figure this out....

My advice to you is this:

You have thought about it and gotten some ideas to help you think out of the box.

Tomorrow, you can share these with your husband if you desire.

Now, take a deep breath, say "f*** it" and relax. Ultimately, this is not your decision to make. Your husband will make a decision and then you will decide how you will behave in the face of his decision as it affects you.... and when that time comes, you will have lots of support.

But for now, this is one of those situations you didn't create, and you can't change, and using your mental and emotional energy to spin these wheels is simply draining to you.... everyone on here can give you more and more ideas until it overwhelms you, but ultimately this is a burden that your husband must bear, and a decision he must make. (And RUSH comes to mind- If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.)

Just say "f*** it" and pray for peace, pray for your home, and then relax. Take care of you in whatever way nutures your spirit.

You are a wonderful woman, a phenomenal wife, a caring soul. Walk in peace and nurture your spirit so that you can continue to bless the ones you love.

LilyBelle's picture

He shouldn't let how his daughter or anyone else react determine what he's going to do. HE has to be the man, and do the hard stuff, and face the rejection, the bad attitudes, the possibility of losing her.

I'm not suggesting taking away privileges. I'm suggesting a true boot camp.

If he decides that the best thing for her is to live in his home, and that she needs a boot camp situation as a dose of reality, he gives her that. He is the father. She is the child. He owes her his instruction, protection, and structure even if she is too immature to want it.

Boot camp is a temporary situation. 12 weeks. Drill instructors work 18 hours a day in general. It's not easy for anyone.

She starts out with NO privileges. Meaning a bed, 3 pairs of jeans, and 3 shirts in her room, with necessary socks and shoes, and minimal hygienic items. Nothing else. No makeup. No curling iron. She doesn't get the privilege to choose her clothes. She is supervised by an adult at all times except when she is sleeping, showering, or toileting. Most of the time, the adult should be her dad. She will not have a phone.

The boot camp should be planned, perhaps with consultation with a therapist, with activities geared toward certain goals being accomplished and lessons being learned. The boot camp will address all aspects of the child: physical, mental, emotional, spiritual. The goals will be clearly stated. As she demonstrates more responsibility, she will be given privileges.

At the end of the boot camp, there is a very special ceremony.

This is not something that faint-hearted parents are able to tackle, and the ones courageous enough to do it should not attempt it without a lot of support.

frustrated-mom's picture

I'm not sure how DH would have the time to do that. The other problem is there's no motivation for SD to do anything other than be a brat, unless the reward was to get to go live elsewhere and not even that worked.

The last straw when she was here was her intentionally failing all of her exams after DH told her she couldn't go see her sister unless she passed. When told if you don't do this, this will happen, her reaction is to not comply.

I don't see her actually doing anything DH tells her to do. That's the reason I would prefer to put someone else in charge of doing that. SD hates DH so much that I wouldn't know what she would be capable of doing. SD has major trust issues with men due to the idiots her BM had around her kids. Her first reaction in any environment like that would be to run to her half-siblings - which is the issue.

I'm not sure there's any motivation for DH either. He's still whining about all the time he didn't spend with her and what happened to cause her BM to lose custody of her kids. He's only spent 1-2 weeks a year with her on summer visits. That's all he ever saw her. He's not like he's actually her father, he's just a sperm donor that has legal custody. He has these delusions about wanting to step up and be the perfect superdad.

LilyBelle's picture

I'm sorry. This is just a shitty situation. There is no magic bullet. Sounds like you'll have to wait it out until DH decides what to do....

Take good care of you in the meantime!

Anon2009's picture

I think you should really evaluate whether or not you want to stay in this marriage. Have you and DH tried marriage counseling? It sounds like you two have different wants, and expectations regarding each others kids. You feel resentment towards him and SD. I can guarantee you he will start resenting you and feeling like you are pushing his kids out of his life and replacing them with BS, even if you aren't trying to do that. And I can guarantee you the resentment those boys feel towards you and BS will only intensify as time goes on. If you've tried all you can, maybe the best thing would be for you and DH to go your separate ways.

Anon2009's picture

I agree.

Frustrated,

You talk about how you want your DH to do more with your bs. I think you need to take all of the energy you channel towards SKs and instead use it to do stuff with your bs. Play a video game with him once in awhile. Find video game clubs/others who like to play video games he can bond with. Help him with his schoolwork. Don't wait for your DH to do these things for bs because that might never happen. You can't force a relationship to happen. BOTH parties have to want it. Take bs to see a new movie he wants to see. Talk with him about his life.

frustrated-mom's picture

I don't want to go completely off-topic here, but my DS and DH used to be very close. They had a great relationship and did things together - movies, going to the skatepark, DS was always tagging along with DH whenever he went to run errands or go to Home Depot. They were great together. But that's changed since DH has absolutely no time. He gets up at 6am, goes to work and we don't see him some days until 9pm.

DS feels competitive with SS7 and SS9 and even when DH is working late he thinks DH is off doing something with them. When SD15 was living here, she was always getting little digs in at DS and making fun of him and making him feel insecure about what he liked (especially his Pokemon obsession) and that he's very clumsy. He's stopped skateboarding since he's convinced he's not very good at it. He's at that age where he is clumsy and awkward and his body is changing and growing. It's the kind of thing he needs a male role model to help him with.

My issue with DH's relationship with my DS is that he's dropped him for his new shiny toy - SS9 the great athlete and trying to fix SD15 when 2 years ago he never gave much thought about her.

frustrated-mom's picture

It's the truth that SD should have been given up for adoption. DH is honest about that. He was not able to raise her or provide a home for her at age 19. That's why he knows she can't go stay with her half-brother. Her BM is mentally ill, has a prescription drug problem and let her schizophrenic boyfriend abuse her kids and then did nothing required to get them back. Who in the world would want their child raised in the environment.

We need more people who realize they have no business raising or even having children to prevent kids like SD from being raised in these types of environments. Nothing DH or I do is ever going to repair the damage that BM did especially all the drugs she did while pregnant.

Maybe if SD had been given up for adoption, then she would have had a stable two parent household and she would have learned how to have gotten along in a family environment and be respectful to her parents.

DH admits he's made mistakes in the past and he wants to be a good father now to his boys and stepson. But his past mistakes keep coming back to prevent that from happening - if SD had been given up for adoption, that wouldn't be happening and SD would have a much better future ahead of her.

Orange County Ca's picture

At a certain age which varies from kid to kid the parent has to accept that s/he has done all they can and its up to the kid now.

Most kids go to the jungle and after one glimpse of the gorilla willingly return home. Others plunge in and all a parent can do is hope they've prepared them sufficiently as at that point their job is done unless the kid comes back.

Accept reality and tell Dad the same.

Dad should offer to pay her bus fare to wherever she wants to go - once you two stop trying to end her rebellion she may very well wake up to reality.

frustrated-mom's picture

I agree but the problem is legally DH is her only parent and he can't exactly just let her go where she wants.

To be enrolled in school she has to have a legal guardian living in the school district, which means DH has to appoint her half-brother guardian if she's going to stay with him. SD wants to only do online school (which she had been doing to retake some of the classes she failed last year) and avoid having to go to a physical high school since no one would have to know where she was living. That's unacceptable to DH.

If I thought she would go, fail miserably and admit she was wrong and beg to come live with us, I'd be fine with that. But this girl never admits she is ever wrong and would never admit to DH that she needs help.

Jemaie's picture

At some point being a parent can be very frustrating especially if you believe that you have done the best way you can but isn’t still that effective to them. I know that you’re a good parent and you have done your part as a parent. Why not try other options that you can do at home. I found parenting methods and information that is helpful. Hope this helps. cheers!

jennifer37's picture

I can sympathize with what you are going through. I have a troubled teen stepdaughter and I wanted to share with you the resource I found that helped - Troubled Teen Solutions. This site has really valuable information to help parents who are struggling with troubled teens.

StepKidto3Momto3's picture

Why can't she stay with her aunt and uncle?

Another option, call Catholic Charities in her old area, sometimes they will do private foster care.

frustrated-mom's picture

She refuses to do anything she was told and continues to believe that she has 100% control over where she lives. After her half-brother moved to Seattle, she wanted to follow him there or move in with her half-sister. She threatened to run away if her dad insisted that she stay with her aunt and uncle.

She’s currently living with her half-sister, which is what she wanted from the beginning. If her dad had just let her do that instead of forcing her to live with us when she was 13, my marriage wouldn’t be over.