You are here

stepdaughter says she was molested but her family still lets them hang out and they are still friends....this is not normal.

bmgreenman's picture

:? My stepdaughter says that when she was about 12 her 14 year old female cousin was molesting her. At the time she was living with her mother, aunt, and cousin. Apparently the mother walked into the girls room and saw them touching each other sexually and went hysterical, at which point we got a phone call from her mostly ranting about faith and homosexuality, but even after the incident she did not kick out the offending cousin or report it to the authorities. Don't get me wrong molestation is a serious crime and should be punished but as more information comes to light it makes me question this claim and many other behaviors by my step daughter. I'm not a psychologist and don't have any children of my own so I wanted some outside perspective. For example she is still friends with this cousin even after she accused her of molesting her they are constantly chatting online and when I asked her why she would be friends with somebody who abused her her response is always because it's family, which seems to be sufficient for her biological mother side of the family but jjust seems crazy to me. Another pecular thing is before the accusations came about she brought her cousin to visit us and they wanted to shower together, when my husband told her that he wasn't comfortable with that and they were too old to be bathing together my my stepdaughter argued to be able to do so. In the end we didn't allow it but that also seemed strange to me. Now her biological mother is suspected of having mental illness, and I'm not just saying that as the current wife, she is also borderline fanatical when it comes to religion. I'm wondering if her immediate reaction of hysterically shouting things about Jesus and just generally crazy homophobic statements may have caused her to falsely accuse her cousin of molestation when it was something they were participating/experimenting together. Any thoughts? And now any time she exhibits bad behavior she blames it on being molested and her father wasn't there but on the other hand your still best friends with the person who molested you. I don't want to be the evil stepmother but I think she is being dishonest and manipulative. I think that early on she learned that if she plays a victim there will be no consequences. Two more examples are we had an incident where her father asked her to clean up her dishes, she flew off the handle saying he was calling her lazy and she punched him in the face three times and he had to restrain her, and after all that how she described the situation was he called her lazy and choked her out. I was a witness to the entire situation and it didn't happen like that and it makes me far for our freedom that she can make accusations so Willy nilly. The other example, although way less severe, is she is falling her math class and instead of studying, or going to tutoring she says the teacher disrespect s her and singles her out and this I know is a down right lie. Any advice is appreciated and again I take crimes against children seriously but these stories just don't add up. I don't want to do anything to damage this child further but I'm sick of the manipulation and her constantly acting like a victim.

Glassslipper's picture

I am a sexual assault nurse examiner for 3 counties in my state. What you describe is not abuse or assault in my state, it is two young girls experimenting. Should the case happen to walk into my ER, it would be followed by a "keep your hands to yourself speech" and a get out of my ER...

BUT it does sound like she found her trigger blaming her behavior on being molested (which she wasn't) This is actually more common than you think.
There is many cases out there where BM accuses Dad, and Many where Dad accuses BM's boyfriend. All using the kids as pawns and putting them through an exam...so VERY sad for the poor children who are subject to the situation...

ChiefGrownup's picture

Yes, sounds like 2 kids experimenting. And your sd sounds like a nightmare. Protect yourself: never, ever be alone with her.