You are here

SD16 's empty room a conundrum

catpaw's picture

My SO and I have been debating what to do with SD16's room. She hasn't been over to our house in over a year, except for twice, but it wasn't an over night stay and only for a few hours.

SO and SD16 have a pretty distant relationship as she opted to spend her time at her BM house. It is a little weird as my SO's SS12 stays over every other week. So, it isn't as if we don't have someone over on a regular basis. We would like to maintain a space that is hers if she does come over, but it also feels like wasted space we would definitely use if it was available to us.

What to do is a conundrum.

We plan on having a conversation with her soon about it, but wanted some outside input before we did. Has anyone gone through this at this age?

Ultimately I know that the conversation we will be having with her will be the ultimate in what we do with the room, but how do we broach the subject without making her feel alienated or that we are pushing her away?

Thanks!

Jsmom's picture

Yes - we just cleaned out all her stuff and it is a really nice guest room. We waited about a year to do it. She has two boxes in the attic. Everything else we gave away. She has a place if she ever grows up, but I still have a nice room. DH moved his weight bench in there as well. I think that made it easier on him.

Indigo's picture

Home renovation? Painting? Remodeling? Stuff like that always calls for a shuffle, a reallocation of the resources. A guest room, a futon/couch, a media/exercise room, a kid's room ... as long as SD knows that she is welcome, she could have an inflatable queen mattress and be fine. (They are more comfortable than a futon!)

Be honest. You're paying for the footprint of a youngster who is never there. Square feet that you are paying for with mortgage, heat/cooling. Be honest, be clear-cut and don't sweat it.

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

I would LOVE to do away with HHB's room here! More than a month so far, and she has made no effort to come over, and I have no problem with that. The less I see her in life, the better! I just know DH would never go for doing anything with the room, so for now, it stays as is. I would love nothing more than to putt on some rubber gloves up to my elbows, load all that crap in a bunch of boxes, and drop it off in BM's driveway!

momagainfor4's picture

I've been going through this same exact thing.
In May, it will have been one year since sd15 has been to our house. She says this is not her home and that she doesn't feel comfortable here any longer.

We've used the room off and on for guests because frankly we live in a very small 3 bedroom home so there's really not much choice. We spent money last year when she did come 2 times at the beginning of 2014, buying her some stuff to hang on the walls and a new bedspread and such.
Since then she's not returned.

My dilemma is that I want the room for myself for craft/sewing/guest room!! My dh is currently using the other room as an office and it really doesn't do to have me in his space in the evenings. he's needs his own space.
At one time he had mentioned that I could move in a small desk in HER room. Then when I later said I'd need to borrow his truck for the evening to pick up the desk, he jumped my ass about taking care of other stuff around the house before I bring in more furniture! We argued horribly about this and I ended up packing all my craft/sewing things and packing them in the attic. I then put little snowflake's room back the way it was from last year.

I'm really upset bc like the poster above said... we are paying for this space. heating, cooling, mortgage etc.. for someone that is not in this house and has no intentions of coming to this house.

I think I will know more this weekend. Its the first time he'll see the princess since she extorted money and gifts from us, oh geeze, I'm sorry.. I mean since Christmas!!! LOL

He's "supposed" to have some time with her this weekend. I want him to see his daughter but part of me is very annoyed that she can't be bothered to give him the time of day.
After this weekend, I think that if she doesn't come here, he will be on board with letting me move a desk and dresser in the room for my use.

I'm not suggesting that he talk to her or anything. She will only use it against him in the future saying we kicked her out of her room. So short answer is DON'T give the bratty kids anymore ammo than they think they have already.

Good luck!! I'm crossing my fingers for both of us!!!

catpaw's picture

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I have a new office guestroom in the future.

StepLady's picture

Your home, your funds, your choices. She should be old enough to understand that people are not frozen in time when she is not around. There is guest room or whatever for her if she is wanting to crash at your home and you allow it. Air mattresses are great. I love mine and sometimes pull it out to nap on in living room.

Rags's picture

Office/guest room. Definately.

When we had a 3br house the third room was an office/guest room. We had a trundle/day bed in there that could sleep 2 people. Since SD-16 is not a regular or participatory member of your household then she occupies whatever space is convenient for the full time residents.

IMHO of course.