You are here

SD blatant disrespect for SM. She uses "mean girl" tactics in our relationship.

Ellie.Gerber's picture

My 13 yo SD of 2 years has some "mean girl" tendencies. She's now bringing that kind of behavior into our "bonus relationship."

In an attempt to shut down any kind of negative/manipulative environment, I want to tell her that A) I realize she doesn't like me Dirol that it's normal to feel that way and I'm okay with it C) regardless of how big/hurtful her actions/words are, they won't break her dad and me apart and D) it's alright not to like me, but she needs to treat me respectfully. 

Is that a good idea or could any response from me fuel her fire and encourage her unhealthy ways of coping with unpleasant feelings?

tog redux's picture

Her father should be the one to tell her all of that. Then it's clear that he will not tolerate the behavior, that he's backing you up, and that she will have consequences for treating you this way.

Rags's picture

Have a pointed talk with her. Don't over intellectualize it.

Be direct, be clear, be succint and .... lather, rinse, repeat as you apply escalating misery inducing consequences for her manipulative crap. Make sure to get her father to give the same message.

I think that giving her clarity and sticking to that message consistently any time she acts out is a good plan.

Good luck.

Dogmom1321's picture

What are some of the things she is doing? Does DH see it too? I agree with the above. He should be the one to have the talk with SD and let her know she needs to respect his wife. 

susanm's picture

Does your DH recognize the mean girl issues?  Many men don't.  They just go straight over their head.

Chelseybychelsey's picture

Yes, tell her that not your dh you.

Now dh can call her out on her shit when she disrespects you if he doesn't then that is a problem.