You are here

SD (14) jealous of new baby

WwCorgi7's picture

I am (for the most part) a disengaged step parent to a 14 year old girl. I have been in her life since she was 3. It has been very rough over the years, a lot of ups and downs. 

We had a great relationship until she turned 7. My SD started taking out her frustrations about her parents being separated on me (they split before she turned 1).  Despite therapy and everyone acknowledging her feelings while still trying to explain to her, she still hated me for this. She would do just about anything to make it known she did not like me (call me names, make fun of my appearance, spit out any food I made all over the kitchen). My husband finally put his foot down to her disrespectful behavior and things improved for about a year. Slowly things went back to how they were. When SD turned 12 my husband and her mom hit a rough patch in their co parenting because her mom was violating the visitation orders. SD's mom told SD that as soon as she turns 13 she can do what she wants and never has to see us again because we are not really her family. She told SD if my husband loved her then he would be living with her everyday. SD was suddenly very against our whole entire family including our kids. My husband has always been a very involved dad at every game, practice, or school event. Now SD asks him to not come because he's not really her dad.

My husband and I have had 3 kid together throughout the years (all boys). SD also has siblings (2 girls, 2 boys) from her mom and step dad.  My husband and I found out we were expecting again late last year. We announced to all our kids and family at 20 weeks. The kids were ecstatic! SD, who if I am being honestly usually hates us, was thrilled and she actually started calling and texting me. She was so excited about a new baby joining the family. We really thought this was a turning point in the whole family dynamic as it has been quite strained in recent years. Things seemed better than ever until SD found out the baby is a girl.

SD hung up on us and when my husband called back she got angry and said she was with her real family and didn't have time to talk to him. She completely cut off contact until she had to come visit. My husband talked to her and tried to give her some space let her process it. Well things seemed okay not great but pretty much back to normal. Then his ex calls about a few weeks later to tell us that she had to take her to the doctor and now SD is in intensive therapy because I am having a girl. My husband has since talked to SD that she isn't being replaced and has been taking her out several times a week for one on one time. Things are still not improving.

SD is furious with me because this baby is a girl. She thinks I did this to ruin her life and said she's suppose to be the only girl. Prior to this pregnancy SD has tried to use this against me. She told me I wasn't a real mom or a real woman because I couldn't have girls only boys. She would sit and laugh and tell me how miserable my life will be without a daughter of my own. I told her well I do have you, you're a daughter to me and she was told me "if that is what helps you sleep at night". I could always brush off her comments but when going out shopping she would sneak baby girl clothes into my cart and pull them out saying "well you'll never be needing these must suck for you" and just run off laughing. It was very ugly behavior. 

My husband is stuck in the middle of this. He wants me to basically hide the rest of this pregnancy. No updates, no one can talk about it, no setting up the nursery, and to hide all the baby stuff when SD visits. This really upsets me. We have talked to her, she's in therapy, my husband has been spending a ton more time with her and it's not improving. The baby is due in a few weeks and I feel like I'm sneaking around preparing for it. I told him the baby is coming whether she likes it or not. We can't keep this up until she decides to suddenly be okay with it. I'm just beyond frustrated with this whole situation.

hereiam's picture

My husband is stuck in the middle of this. He wants me to basically hide the rest of this pregnancy. No updates, no one can talk about it, no setting up the nursery, and to hide all the baby stuff when SD visits.

Your husband is an idiot. Will you be expected to hide the baby, too?

Tiptoeing around SD in not going to cut it.

Momma788's picture

Considering the fact that you have 3 other children and she is 14 he shouldn't be coddling her like this. Now you have another on the way. Lucky for me this actually one problem I don't have. SD and my kids have a good relationship she's not jealous of them. But trust me every other problem you can think of we have. I've come to the conclusion that these families don't work. I read your post and because of her mother and her behavior I think you will be miserable for a long time. I wouldn't even waste my energy and just focus on your kids. I had to do this but it did slap me in the face because my H constantly accused me of being heartless for disengaging but even with that I told him I'm sorry I can't do it anymore. My biggest regret in life was not having a family of my own. Is there any way you can get away for a bit, go see a friend for dinner. Between his job and all the work he's putting in to earn back his daughter is he even around to give you a break?? Having 3 kids of your own and being pregnant can really take toll on you. I only have 2 but one of my kids is special needs. I'm so tired I don't have the energy for anything else and it's hard when you have a BM constantly needing needing needing or causing issues in your household. You have no privacy no life of your own. I look forward to when the quarantine is over and things go back to normal. I don't things are going to change anytime soon and you have a lot of kids to care for. Any way you can see a therapist or talk to someone. I'm sad to say you might not be able to talk to your husband because he's too busy feeling guilty. I have often felt that I'm alone here. My H provides us with a roof and food but I can tell you most definitely my SD is his first priority. 
The fact that your husband wants you the hide the pregnancy really speaks loud to me. You see where his priorities are. Please stay healthy and focus on your kids it's not healthy for them either.

WwCorgi7's picture

Thank you! Finally someone who sees how it really is and this life sucks. My husband is a wonderful guy but he does parent out of guilt. It has gotten alot better but her melt down put him back to square one. My husband also thinks I'm  heartless for pulling back but truly I just don't have it in me anymore. I completely understand how you feel. Everyone keeps telling me try this, do that, and never give up. I've given my all for years and it's sucked everything out of me. She didn't act this way when he mom had her little sisters but how dare we have one.

Momma788's picture

I love my kids more than anything in the world but they are a handful I can't imagine having 3 and one on the way. My SD is not a bad kid but because of her parents I can't do it anymore. BM is fake and needy and my H is a guilty father to the max. Me, I'm supposed to be perfect and walk on eggshells when she comes over and I can't. My SDs parents yell at her all the time but if I do much as look at her funny she cries for an hour and my husband is calling me a horrible person and packing his bags to leave. When you have kids and are invested in a marriage it's really hard and to see how easily you can be thrown under the bus. I can understand why 2nd wives that get divorced are way more bitter. You sacrifice so much only to end up a single mom. Sorry I'm rambling lol. But truly it sucks. 

WwCorgi7's picture

That's exactly how it is. They expect us to walk on eggshells and handle their kids with white gloves. My SD put her muddy soccer cleats on the kitchen counter right next to me while I was preparing raw chicken, I bumped them off onto the floor with my elbow. Oh my god you would have thought I took her puppy out back and shot it by the way my husband acted. He wants me to treat her the same way I treat our boys but then when I do I'm mean or not gentle enough because she is a girl. Listen, I don't care what gender you are or who you belong to, you put your disgusting shoes next to my food and I will bump them off onto the floor where they belong.

Momma788's picture

My H is the king of all guilty fathers and he would say something to his daughter if she did something like that. And my husband is bad. He would not get mad at me for something like that. Hun I feel bad for you in this situation because you are on your 4th kid. Mine got snipped when I was 8 months pregnant with my daughter. No way would I want so much as an accident. Considering that he got mad at you because your SD put her dirty shoes on the counter where you were cooking speaks loud to me. I don't think he's going to change I'm sorry. You will be slave to that child if you want to make him happy and I pray for you if she does move in with you guys. I will be honest if mine moved in I think things would get real bad and he'd be the one to file for divorce because like you I can't be human and every day life calls for that. We wouldn't make it. 

WwCorgi7's picture

Outside of SD my husband is a great guy ,amazing dad. My husband seemed to have a moment last year during their court mediation where BM lied and said SD hasn't seen her dad in months and only stays with me. That is not true because I no longer deal with her myself anymore. My husband asked SD why she said that and SD looked blankly at him and said "what are you talking about this is the first time I've seen you in months". When we all went on vacation 2 weeks prior!!! My husband was so disgusted and he broke down and said he was done trying to push a relationship, SD was brainwashed and he can't  change it. He seemed to let go at that point and he quit stressing. It has been really good until BM called about SD and now DH feels like a bad dad and is now over compensating.

hereiam's picture

And he's not heartless for not allowing you to enjoy and celebrate your pregnancy?

Never give up? At some point, one gets tired of being treated like dirt, especially from someone elses kid. HE shouldn't give up trying to teach her understanding and compassion, HE shouldn't give up being her father and parenting her, but that does NOT mean giving in to her whims.

She can deal with this baby sister, just like she has apparently dealt with the others.

When my SD started treating me differently and believing her mother's lies, I pulled WAY back.

Momma788's picture

Lol don't you all get it. He's a divorced father that doesn't see his kid everyday it gives him a viable excuse for being a POS. Apparently being divorced gives you free pass to being a bad person and neglecting your wife and new family. BM is the victim, everyone has to feel bad for DH because he doesn't see his kid everyday and as far as Stepmom you'll never win you'll always be wicked and horrible. 

WwCorgi7's picture

Exactly this is my very last baby and pregnancy. Coronavirus already put a huge damper on it now I'm dealing with all this drama from SD. I agree, pulling back is healthier than just taking the abuse even if it comes from a kid.

tog redux's picture

Your SD is being alienated by her mother - every thing you've described as "her" feelings are coming straight from her mother. It's her mother who is jealous that you are having a girl, not SD.

This is unlikely to get better until SD is old enough to start thinking for herself, which is a long time from now. Does your husband plan to dress the baby as a boy so that SD doesn't get mad?

Walking on eggshells around SD isn't the answer to the problem. Your DH has to keep being the best parent he can be to her under the circumstances, but I would expect she will cut off contact with him soon.

WwCorgi7's picture

I believe that as well. My husband keeps hearing that girls turn against their mother's as teens and want their father but this is not the case here. He's under this impression that she is going to come live with us and everything will be great. We have rules at our home that SD doesn't like  and we treat her like a daughter not a friend. She barely speaks to him now why would it suddenly change? As for her mom, she spent all these years trashing my husband, driving a wedge in their relationship and now suddenly she is so concerned about his and SD's bond? She controls SD's and his communication for years she makes SD put all their phone calls on speaker and you can hear her on the other end and a copy of every text they send gets sent to her and her husband's phone. It's just a mess!

Cover1W's picture

yes, this has shades of my OSD, who is alienated.  She didn't take it out on me (at least not to my face) but certainly was vile towards DH.  I withdrew from anything once she started turning just downright mean and no real corrections were given (until it was too late).

Kes's picture

What a bizarre situation!  Everyone except you seems to be colluding with SD14's behaviour, and implying that it is OK.  It is emphatically not.  SD14 sounds frankly, disturbed, and probably does indeed need therapy, but not because you are "ruining her life" but because she is suffering from delusions about the situation, which her father is reinforcing. 

WwCorgi7's picture

It is. I know she has hidden issues. I have found some disturbing stuff and everyone thinks I should either let it be or tell her to quit being weird. She seems to hide things very well and then when the true side comes out people want to coddle her. While I feel my husband should offer some reassurance that she isn't being replaced I think this is getting out of hand. SD now seems to be using this as a way to get him to buy her whatever she wants and take her out whenever she pleases. My husband is parenting out of guilt because SD tells him how awful her life is because she doesn't have both her parents together.

hereiam's picture

You've been in her life since she was 3, so she doesn't even remember having her parents together. I know that's every child's dream, but it hasn't ever been her life.

Your husband parenting out of guilt is doing her NO favors. It simply eggs on her victim role, which she will carry through life, if he continues. She will use it as an excuse for EVERYTHING. She will become a useless, non-productive, miserable adult.

Momma788's picture

I hate to be the one to say this but they always will coddle. I feel bad for all these stepmoms it's a hell of our making but the reality is they don't stop. 

The_Upgrade's picture

My SD was 18 and not a part of my family when she found out I was expecting a girl. All 7 of her cousins are boys. I was about 5 months along when she found out because it took that long between me falling pregnant and DH managing to meet up with her (she only came around for christmas/birthdays to collect presents). After wanting nothing to do with the dad that she tossed aside for years, she burst into tears in the middle of dinner and fled the restaurant. BM exploded at DH saying how he doesn't care about his daughter and now he's traumatised her for life. 
My DD has never met her half sibling and with the current dynamic I have no plans to introduce them. I'm ok with that. I don't splatter my social media with photos of DD but I do put stuff up only for friends to see. Otherwise what's our other option? How long are you supposed to hide away a human being? Do we pretend that we don't have a toddler to appease an adult child that hates our guts? That'd leave our DHs with two messed up daughters instead of just one!

Momma788's picture

But I often told my husband that he should have stayed by himself. I think these men would have been better off staying single and not dragging other people into this toxic situation. Hiding their children I mean come on that's just sick. 

WwCorgi7's picture

Wow this community is so much nicer than reddit! I tried reddit for a bit and the crazy/out there suggestions were too much! A ton of people kept telling to take her on a baby moon once a month until the baby arrived or have something planned every week just for her if we can't go on a trip. Seriously I have a life and 3 other kids I can't dump them all the time to coddle a 14 year old.

Momma788's picture

That's exactly what's expected of you unfortunately. You are expected to dump your other children just to coddle the stepchild. If you don't you're a bad person. When my son was 2 he was diagnosed with autism I had a 3 month old baby. My SD came over on the weekends I had to watch her because H worked. I also suffers from postpartum depression. I would literally sit down on my kitchen table and cry for an hour while I was taking care of my other children. My son was getting therapy, my daughter cried all night I was tired.  I would hand my stepdaughter the remote control and say watch whatever you want on TV, I fed her and I made sure that she had what she needed but that wasn't enough she went home and told her mother that I was mean, I did nothing with her and she no longer wanted to be alone with me, my husband came home told me I didn't care and that I was a heartless horrible person. That was when I disengaged. Funny thing was she used to complain about her grandpa my father in law. Said she didn't want to be with him either because when he was with her he would run errands. She wanted excitement and toys and my husband would actually get mad at his own father for not taking her to entertaining places. BM needs a lot of help and if we're helping what does it matter what we do as long as she's getting what she needs.

WwCorgi7's picture

I don't know what your husband expected you to do that certainly is overwhelming. Especially when you had PPD! This is why some step kids have so many issues. Everyone treats them like a victim and goes out of their way to make everything a party. Then they develop this expectation every visit that it has to be fun, with new toys, and all the attention on them. Anything else is us being "mean" and not caring. BM drops her off here and there and barely sees her or spends any real time with her, but when I'm making dinner and can't stop for arts and crafts I'm the devil.

Momma788's picture

Some women here have decent husbands that can balance and don't do things like this but for those of us that do we only have two options and they both start with a D. The only way out is if you divorce or one of you dies. I'm just being real. Since we have kids and won't leave this is our lives. I don't leave for many reasons but I can say I don't feel the same for my husband. We fight all the time and sex is a chore. It's sad but 7 years and many discussions and he'll never change. I would say you have 5% chance of him changing. Since you have 3 kids and one on the way divorce is not an option for you. This is your life. Look forward to a lifetime of this because even when she's an adult they will still coddle her. Maybe when your kids get older (because this is what I'm looking forward to) you'll have more freedom to disengage. It's hard with little kids and your stuck there because you need to be there for them. I don't push for therapy anymore because he won't change it's like beating a dead horse. Get a therapist, vent on this website, talk to your friends and ignore your husband when he acts stupid. And if anything ever happens just know that he has a financial responsibility to those kids he made with you as well. Child support and alimony is a whole lot for 4 kids. I'm not saying you will leave him if he ever decides to leave you for not coddling his daughter you get all you can from him to care for your children.

Rumplestiltskin's picture

I don't have any experience as a new mother with stepkids, but i have been on Reddit's SP site. I'm convinced a lot of posters on there are trolls or bitter BMs or SKs with an agenda. 

notarelative's picture

Then his ex calls about a few weeks later to tell us that she had to take her to the doctor and now SD is in intensive therapy because I am having a girl.

Has anyone (SD, therapist, BM) asked DH to participate in a therapy session?  If no, does DH even know the name of the therapist? If he does, he should reach out to the therapist and state that he is willing to meet with the therapist so that she has a complete picture as SD undergoes treatment. 

Since the problem, according to BM, all stems from DH, it would seem.odd to me that the therapist has not spoken to dad.

WwCorgi7's picture

So BM has had a long history of hiding stuff from my husband. Anytime SD sees a doctor or goes to the ER she hides it and we don't find out until the insurance overview comes out, sometimes several months after the events occur. My husband has called the insurance company and tried to somehow get notified of services sooner but he can't get the info. He has had a lot of trouble going to doctors after the fact to get info as to what happened. BM puts that she or her husband can be contacted and inquire about it but DH cannot. He has to take his court order of their custody agreement and all this information and sometimes he has to wait a days or weeks for the doctors to release any info. If she finds out he knows what doctor or dentist SD sees she switches her and won't tell him. She keeps telling him that if he wants to be involved he needs to call her everyday to ask if something happens. So finding info on said therapist is going to be work and he is trying to get the insurance company to release info.

Cover1W's picture

BM manages, in our case, the entire situation and BM/OSD control the situation 100%.  DH and BM agreed to a theraphy session with a family counselor who specialized in contentious divorce situations and alienation issues.  DH and BM had a 2 hour session together the first time.  Next up was for the counselor to meet alone with OSD.  OSD refused to have anything to do with it, BM didn't make her go.  Counselor couldn't get BM to see the problem or get OSD to even talk with her on the phone or via videoconference.  Nothing.  BM offered up YSD instead - DH said no, it's OSD or nothing. 

Counselor has since offered to meet with just me and DH and I've agreed to that, but nothing's come of it.  It's up to DH to schedule it.  And YSD needs counseling too, but maybe not this person at this point.  But again, that's not up to me either.

BethAnne's picture

Has your husband talked to her therapist? Or is it all going through BM? I doubt a therapist would suggest hiding a pregnancy and baby or rewarding rude behavior with multiple solo trips a week with Dad when he has 3/4 other kids and she needs to start accepting she is not an only child/daughter. 

This girl needs her Dad to step up and start parenting rather than coddling. Is there any chance that he would take a parenting class?

WwCorgi7's picture

No he is going through what BM tells him, which could be anything. She hides all medical info and it's been a nightmare trying to access. My husband is very naive and sees BM reaching out to him( she normally treats him terribly and hides things/lies to him) as her finally letting him be involved with his daughter more. A therapist hasn't suggested this, this was my husband's take to lessen the blow to SD. She's been fine when we had the other children never jealous but the fact that this one is a girl has just sent her over the edge. He is an absolutely amazing parent to our other 3 children he is very strict with them but fair and caring. Our kids absolutely adore him and they are so well behaved. Other than telling them to use their inside voices occasionally they are truly great respectful kids. When it comes to SD, he treats her completely different and acts like a doormat. When she has a melt down he rewards her to get back in her good graces. He doesn't see that guilt parenting and giving in constantly to her is bad parenting so I doubt he would take a class. 

shamds's picture

All baby things hidden for when princess precious comes over. 

The bigger question of hypocrisy here is why could bio mum have more kids with no princess precious chucking a massive tantrum. Why give her the power to control your marriage narrative??

my husband despite all the skid and crazy exwife issues is very firm on that my and hubby’s sexual/intimate relationship is between the 2 of us. The fact we are sexually active, the fact we choose to have more kids is not any of skids business. If i am pregnant, skids are told  when i am several months along when it’s starting to show i am pregnant. 

They do not get to tell hubby he shouldn’t have more kids or they fee sad and rejected and believe me my skids have played that game which is total bs. Because everytime hubby tries to catch up with them or contact them its always “i’m busy!!” Then something major happens like me and hubby travelling with our 2 young kids overseas or buying a house and its a sudden sob story hubby abandoned them blah blah blah. They demand one on one holidays away expecting hubby to leave me at home with 2 toddlers for a week.

my husband is firm that me and our 2 kids are his family too and hubby wants us on all holidays so a holiday for just skids and him just will never happen

if things are this bad for op, what happens when you are in labor and need to go to hospital, is princess precious gonna chuck a tantrum and demand daddy have 1 on 1 time pronto and stepmum can eff off to hospital on her own?? Of course not!! Its time op husband grows a pair of balls and sets things straight. Its horrible that sd is already trying to erase a sibling from existing before she is even born.

instead of being a big sister to set a good example to her little sister she is instead setting an example for how not to be a good pleasant person...

Harry's picture

You run your home, if SD shows up, she must respect you. If she doesn't show up, it's her lost.  But you must STOP playing her game. Love you one day, hate you the next day 

Survivingstephell's picture

You problem is you have a HCBM. She is bitter about DH moving on and being happy. If she can't have him, no one should.  Her underlying motives are his misery.  SD is just a pawn.    Having gone thru a high conflict alienating BM and having an ours baby, it's not fair that you have to put up with all this drama when you least need it.  I would recommend DH seeing his daughter away from home for now. Stop coddling her. Protecting her from reality will not help her grow up.  DH also should make it clear to BM that he divorced HER and not SD, that he has enough room in his heart for all his kids.  Even so, he still might end up losing SD to BM.   Chasing after her will only empty his wallet and steal time away from people who truly care about him.  My DH lost 3 of 4 skid to BM and her dysfunctional practices.   You most certainly don't want your daughter growing up watching her father chase after SD and ignoring her. 
Your home is your sanctuary, as such only friends of the marriage and family should be welcomed in with behavior that supports it, not tears is apart. 
Sometimes dropping the rope and giving BM what she wants is the only way to get out of the fight.  It's a last resort move but one that many around here eventually choose.  It's a part of reclaiming the role of adult and director of your own life. Men seem to have a problem doing that.  Stepmoms here get there faster, wore out from the drama. 

Momma788's picture

This is good advice but I don't see her husband doing this. If he's telling his wife to hide her pregnancy because his 14 year old daughter can't handle it there's no way he's going to keep his daughter or if the house. She'll be coming over no matter what. So I don't think he's going to see her out of the house. She can't escape because there's 3 kids. So unfortunately she's going to have to deal with it. There's no way he's going to not have her come there. Maybe when she gets older 18 she'll just stop wanting to see him period so she won't be there as much but you better believe her husband will grovel until he gets forgiven by his daughter and she'll be right back at the house they live in. 

WwCorgi7's picture

SD has tells him to his face when she comes over that if he doesn't have something better to offer (activities, new stuff, trips) she'll leave and get it somewhere else. Last year she told him she doesn't want to see him anymore because her bedroom isn't comfortable enough (wants a beach themed room). My husband ran out and redecorated her whole entire room. Then the weekend she came to see it all she said was "well you didn't get the shelves I wanted I'm not staying here". It's truly pathetic I understand he wants a better relationship but this isn't  the way to go about it and to be honest its a lost cause.

shamds's picture

Have daddy dearest jump through hoops to prove he loves her and she is #1 priority. Then reject him so he goes through even higher hoops.

she enjoys having her dad drop everything for her and torturing him like this. She does not love, respect or appreciate him because if she did, she wouldn’t act like such an arsehole!!

WwCorgi7's picture

This is the part I don't understand it has been years since they have been together. Everyone has moved on years ago so why is there bitterness? They were teen parents in highschool never married, their relationship lasted a year and a half max. They split a week before SD turned a year old. I didn't meet him until SD was 3. BM married right before SD turned 5. We had SD's first sibling and SD didn't react this way. Everyone got married and everyone had kids things have moved on in life. Throughout the years BM will be okay things will be quiet then all of the sudden she freaks out and starts causing trouble again. She will host a joint birthday and then the next week she loses it and tries to hide SD so my husband can't pick her up. I truly just don't understand what is fueling this. She's married and has 4 other kids why would she need to be hung up on this 13 years later?

Ispofacto's picture

These women are literally black holes of emotional need.  No amount of worship will fill the emptiness inside them.  They feel bad all the time so it must be someone's fault. 

Look up BPD.

Survivingstephell's picture

If you understood it, you'd be as crazy as BM is. 

Find shrink4mencom.   You'll learn a lot and find out you aren't alone or crazy.  

shamds's picture

she had been having an affair to her ex highschool sweetheart before hubby separated. She has been married for 11.5 yrs but sure as hell instilled the guilt game on sd’s that daddy abandoned them to marry me despite kidnapping them a year before i even met hubby.

then she has called my sil claiming i love her kids like my own, basically trying to force that expectation on me but hubby knows damn well why should i love his kids when they are horribly disrespectful, rude, have bad attitudes and their own bio mum doesn’t want them.

its just so much drama and its like a yoyo going all over the place. You just remove yourself from the drama and let their shitstorm happen away from you. I am all for supporting my husband in a supportive way as his spouse if he is struggling emotionally etc but exwife issues and drama i stay out of. Hubby can tell me how upset and frustrated he is about skids but I’m a realist who doesn’t sugarcoat things. 

Skids treating parents like crap is something i would never allow my kids to do, not in my home...

Winterglow's picture

I'm afraid I'd probably decide to rub the dear child's nose in it by taking absolute high-visibility JOY in my pregnancy and making it known! Better still, take her with you occasionally to buy baby things and tell your DuH that you're helping her bond with her new sibling, making her feel more of a part of your family (evil grin).

DPW's picture

Okay DH, good plan there chachi. Seriously, nothing like coddling the poor little SD because her feelings are hurt. Does she not understand how kids are made; that you have no control over the sex of the child? Oy. 

I would not be catering to SD over this, not at all. 

Rags's picture

Is SD dense?  Does she not comprehend that her mother has already replaced her twice with two younger sisters?

Your DH is catering to, facilitating and enabling this crap.  Time for this little hag to learn about a life of abject misery until she extricates her head from her butt and knocks if her pathetic toxic manipulative toddler tantrum crap.  Rather than hide your pregnancy and baby girl I would be celebrating it, broadcasting it and rubbing her toxic nose in it.

That your DH is coding this crap from this kid is pathetic.

Start mailing her weekly pink girly event cards touting her upcoming status of being a big sis to another baby girl.

Her manipulative torturous behavioral crap is pathetic.

smh

Swim_Mom's picture

You deliberately conceived a daughter? Wow! *ROFL* How did you manage that?

SD is behaving this way because all of the adults in her life are permitting her to do so. 

Celebrate your baby girl - congratulations!!

WwCorgi7's picture

I agree. Everyone is saying I am not being sensitive to her feelings but really get over it. The fact that she went this far off the deep end and is now in therapy? That seems so dramatic especially when she already has sisters. Everyone is enabling her and now she is getting all this attention for her behavior. She is being taken out just about every night for a special solo dinners, ice cream dates, shopping sprees, all because she can't handle me having a girl. I'm not hiding this pregnancy like everyone wants just to spare her.

SteppedOut's picture

My formerSO's kid13 was jealous of our baby. He tried to hurt him. Multiple times. Of course daddeee stayed blind or made excuse for the behavior. I left to keep baby safe.

Keep a watchful eye out. 

BethAnne's picture

Your husband needs an intervention. Who are the people that he respects and listens to? 

WwCorgi7's picture

He does it's  quite pathetic that he lets all this manipulation get to him. He does not parent our children like this it's two complete different parenting styles. I've told him the kids notice that you treat her differently and they have asked questions. My husband says it's only because he never gets to see her so he tries to go above and beyond. It's really messed him up he somewhat accepted it last year and let his ideals of this relationship he was supposed to have go. He was finally able to function normally with me and the kids. Since he got the call from his ex about SD's mental breakdown he is a wreck. When it comes to his daughter he doesn't listen to anyone.

Lizzylemon's picture

I have the issue of my sd9 reporting everything that happens in my house back to mil and bm every week. Dh and I have adjusted our lives so that we do not talk about our life or any business in front of sd9 nor do we share any news with her. I just put one of my cats down last week and I waited for her to ask where the cat was before telling her. Since she is a spy and has chosen to work for the opposing team she is not privy to anything about our lives.

Dh and I talk weather, politics and sports amoungst ourselves when she is here and talk business and personal things when she is not here. I also do not take her anywhere and neither does dh bacause we will not give her a gossip supply to talk about to the other household. She does the same routine when she is here every time. 

This has helped immensely with the gossip. It's her own fault. Perhaps taking this route would work for you too. Good luck!

WwCorgi7's picture

We do keep things quiet about personal stuff or future plans. I even had to get a locking filing cabinet because she was trying to get password information for our accounts and take important mail or paperwork home with her. We didn't announce until I was 20 weeks because of course I couldn't hide my bump much longer and she never had an issue with any of my pregnancies before. I did not forsee any of this mess happening.