You are here

I just need to talk to someone about this kid! Sorry long

Fiddle's picture

Hi I'm a new member here. I met my husband back in 1997 and we married in 1999. His ex-wife just up and left him in 1996 took the daughter and dog and split. Then we met and got married. The daughter who was 9 at the time we met she's the only child and basically could come and visit when ever she wanted. Her Mother commited herself to a recovery complex for drug and alchol abuse where she stayed for the next 2 years shortly after husband and I met. During those first 2 years it was hell. I never had children and all the sudden I've got one. During this time if SD didn't like something I said or did she would say she wanted to go to her Aunts or Grandma and Grandpa's (her Moms) house. So over the years I always felt this kid doesn't like me. Hubby and her Mom never had stricked visitations SD would just say I want to go here or there. So that was the beginning of it all. Over the next few years Hubby and I moved out of their matrimonial home. I'II speed it up a few years. SD is now 18 and in college...............

The last time hubby and I seen SD was in August. We were to take SD to college on Sept. 4 to move in. Her Mom was to take her on the 3rd. and we were suppose to bring up what we had of hers on the 4th. Her Mom had met a new guy. Moving along here....We get an email from SD asking if she can come and pick up the stuff that we were to take for her on the 4th.........Hubby decides we were going to just pack up the truck and take it all to her Moms "everything". We get there and ask her is your Mom going to use Grandpa's truck to move everything? SD says no my Mom's boyfriend is taking his van trailer and Mom is driving her car and they are going to move me up there. So hubby and I suddenly feel like a ton of bricks come tumbling down on us! Moving along.......Since SD is going to college SD gets the support that was given to her Mom every month ok. So Hubby says what's your Mom going to do, stay here or move somewhere? SD just says I don't know. Turns out the very next day her mom is moving into her new boyfriends house, which is an hour away from here!.............

So that was the last time we seen SD, the only time we hear from her is when she wants something. She comes down to the area every weekend to see her boyfriend who I believe just can't live without her because he's in univercity in the city which is 1 1/2 hrs away from here and she goes to school 3 1/2 hours from here. He drives to pick her up on a Friday and takes her back on the Sunday. Maybe it's love who knows with them 2. They have been going together for 3 or 4 years and we have only seen him maybe 5 times if that. ...........................

So the only time we hear from SD is when she wants something. This week Hubby has gone hunting for the week. I all the sudden get emails on a almost daily basis from SD. What do you guys want for Xmas. I'm off for Xmas holidays from Dec 8 to Jan. 8. can I come for a week or so? Oh by the way, I picked up my tuition bill it's due on Nov. 24th total is $4700.00 I want it put into my account so I can pay it. So now all the sudden we have this kid suddenly wants to come here and stay, huh wonder why?? Could it be because her Mom lives an hour away with her new boyfriend, and SD knows no one there but them. Or could it be because SD wants to use our house as a bus stop because all her friends are down here and she needs a place to stay?..........

So I pick up the phone and I call her, small talk first, then I asked her what's the real reason why you want to come and stay here? She said to visit, I asked her again she said to visit. I then said, I think it's because your mom lives with her boyfriend in the city (and Oh by the way we know she moved there even though you said you did't know what she was doing. Even though your mom would have given notice to her landlord the month you left to go to college)..and you don't know anybody there. So you want to stay here for Xmas for your week or so, so you can party. I don't think your thinkiing about us and how we may feel to know that you want to come and visit like you say then turn around and use our house as a bus stop. Then I said that I think I better give you a heads up and let you know your Dad wants you putting out resumes during your holidays. She all the sudden says Oh yes I'm doing that too. In one email I asked her whats your plans while on vacation? She said oh stay with you guys, visit with friends that I havn't seen since before college and catch up on some sleep. Nothing about looking for a job.

This is a kid who couldn't be bothered to sit down and write a cover letter for a $500.00 schallership award coming from where her dad works! He asked her why she didn't apply for it and her reply was Oh theres lots of awards I could apply for, so maybe someone else could use it! This was $500.00 she may have gotten and just threw out the door! Her dad told her last spring if you want to go to college your helping. You got to go and get a job, so one of her friends gets her a job as a "smoothie girl". Because it's in a area where they rely on good weather she hardly worked all summber long. That's ok, but when she sits and bitches about no money and you say to her go and find another job she won't. This is a kid who and never found a job on her own she's relyed on everybody else for find one for her. I'II be surprised if she lands a job with what shes taken a college.

I could go and and on but I've got to run along I've got an appt. soon. What do you think about what I said above? Maybe I was a bitch but I've just about had it with her. She lost my respect the day she just said "I don't know" when her dad asked about her Mom. She basically lied right there, so if she did it to her dad then what has she lied about in the past.

Thanks so much,

happy's picture

first of all I do not want to come off as harsh.. But its her mom and dads fault for letting her run the show as a child. No child should tell the parents well I want to go here or there. That opens the doors to the whole she didn't like what you were saying so lets go somewhere else where I do not have to hear the truth.
There is nothing wrong with her coming to stay with you for the holidays. But I would strongly suggest that there are rules.. 1. curfew, if she cannot follow it then go to mom's 2. she has to do her resume so she can get a job 3. do not give her money to go blow why she is there.. Let her call mom.. You and your husband have every right to tell her how its going to be at your house.. If she wants to be there here is what has to happen.. There is nothing wrong with giving a child who "thinks" they are adults a curfew when they are in your home..
I think his daughter definately has some major growing up to do and it will happen but not yet.. 18 is still very young. And all they think about is themselves.. So you are not alone.. My 21 ss thinks only of himself at all cost..
You have every right to vent.. I know a girl just like her.. When she was 9 her mom and her got into an arguement and she called her dad he came running and now she is 18, her was at the time SM called her bitch from the very time they had her to her face.. so she did a lot of damamge to this girl. She broke her mom's heart.. Her dad let her quit school and she just now got a job.. She has had numerous run ins with the law because of under age drinking.. She is also the only child and instead of her parents working together on things they fought each other.. Your SD actually sounds like she is on the right track.. Just set it up to rules.. That way if she does not want to adhere to the rules she can stay somewhere else and disrupt there house and not yours.. I am sorry for what you are going thru..
Also her dad needs to be very up front with her, she needs to be respectful to you in your home.. Plain and simple..
I hope I have helped you..
Happy

Fiddle's picture

Yes, I fully agree with you happy, this girl has ran the show since I came into the picture, mind you I have no idea what the situation was before I came along. Maybe it's always been like this and I'm assuming it's all my fault I married her Dad so didn't want to be around me, but then again she's always been a runner, she's just like her Dad now that I think about it, she'd rather run away and not talk about problems, were I'm just the opposite I WANT to talk things out.

Her Mom and Dad just don't say a word to her. Dad he acts like he's afraid to say boo to her, thinking he's going to lose his little girl if he blows his stack at her. Her Mom lets her do whatever the hell she wants. I have to try and sit and shut my mouth which is extremely hard by the way I might add! LOL I just lost it with her last night on the phone, I'd just had enough of her. Yes she started to cry but that's her, you say one thing and she balls her eyes out. She can be so manipulative with her Dad it's not funny. It's too bad her Dad doesn't wake up and see what's going on. To be honest I think all 4 of us need to talk to someone. But like that's going to happen.

I remember not long ago actually it was when we had to pack up all of SD stuff for college. I found a story hidden in her closet that she had done back in public school. I assumed that this story project was done sometime after we got married because she states stepmom in it..........Anyhow, she wrote this story about Halloween and being home alone with her nieice. To make a story short she was in the laundryroom with her Dad and her Dad looked up behind her and her stepmom (me) was standing behind her with a knife and ice pick! How do you think I felt when I came across this, I sat there and thought so awful to think this little girl thinks I'm going to kill her. Also she handed it in to her teacher who wrote on the front it was a good story till you brought up about your stepmother! I can only wonder what people must have thought of me.

All I did was marry her father and tried my best to have her like me. The first time I met her I had a gift for her, I got her a friendship candle and when the candle burned little gifts come falling out of it. I remember I said I'm not here to take your Moms place I'm here to be your friend. Yeah, look where I'm at now.

Fiddle's picture

Yes maybe so, but her Mom has lived with other guys in the past and one who SD has admitted she helped push out the door because she didn't like him. I remember the night she called us and said her and her Mom where moving in with this guy, and I asked her how do you feel about that and her reply was as long as it makes my mom happy it's ok. That lasted approximatley for a year and SD actually told us she pushed him out the door because she didn't like him. So, whether it's a case that maybe she's too embarreste to say Oh yeah mom's moving in with another one, or she doesn't want to get in the middle. Or it's great my mom is moving in with this guy an hour away from all my friends so now I have to live with Dad and my Stepmom and I don't want to have to do that. Who knows? Only she knows why she didn't say something.

You said. For Gods sake a job isn't going to land on her lap! Wrong! this girl thinks they do.

I find when SD comes here the air is different. It's almost like I shouldn't even be here when she comes. The only thing she is ask to do is help out with supper, like maybe set the table, peel some potatoes, it's not like I'm on her ass. Hell she can sleep in all day if she wants I don't care. Just don't treat me like your doormat.

I don't know,

Anonymous's picture

give the girl a break. just like you want to live your life in peace, she wants to live hers in peace, too. Let her sleep let her see her friends, she's a kid. Get over it. You are supposed to be the mother figure, you signed up for it when you married mr. hunter. she's probably stubborn because she doesn't like your role with her dad. it's common for kids to not like stepparents and i thought your phone call to her was rude. NEVER go behind a hubby's back to say he thinks bla bla bla ( how you said he wants her to get a job) ITS NOT YOUR PLACE. your not her mom. and if you want to have that role eventually, being a bitch is not the way to do it. if you want respect, respect her, okay. SO WHAT? she's lazy i bet you were too. okay? just be nice and let it go. your being way too critical. she's obviously got issues with her mom doing drugs. imagine how you would feel if that were you? ever thought of that?