You are here

Hygiene Issues

DaniAM73's picture

Do I suggest to DH he should consider having a talk with SS15 about hygiene or leave it alone?

The past few months when Skids are at the house SS15 stinks up the house. He either smells like fried arse mixed with fruit or chopped onions.

Saturday it was bad. He smelled like chopped onions. I asked DH did they have onions in their food. He said no. When DH took them home I Febreeze'd and opened the windows the smell was gone.

I have heard SS12 tell SS15 he stinks. So it's not me being overly sensitive.

Cooooookies's picture

Teenagers smell, especially teen boys. I don't know why it's necessary for their hormone-ing bodies to emit putrid stenches but they do.

SS15 does and DH or I tell him to go take a shower, put on deodorant, change your clothes, etc. He showers every night. Sometimes he comes home from school and I tell him to put on more deodorant as his pits wreak of sour death. We've explained to him that it's what your body does when growing but you have to take care of it.

Your DH should be having a conversation with his son and making him wash. I'm the sort that if my DH wouldn't say or do anything, I would. It's not fair to have to smell the gross smells and kids should be told to do something that needs to be done.

secret's picture

Food/spice smells can still come out 24-48 hours later.

Save any "-nuria" issues, there's probably a surplus of a certain bacteria that reacts with the normal sweat a little differently than the usual bacteria that causes the normal BO smell... think of it like a yeast infection of the armpit. Get an anti-biotic cream to apply for a week, and avoid washing armpits (with soap) for 1 week...

Myss.Tique D'Off's picture

What is it with kids and hygiene issues? Gross. I hate the smell of stinky people and their is a HUGE difference between a fresh sweaty smell and days old sweat funk!

Please talk to your SS - it one thing to stink, but there is no need that he has to be that stinky kid in school that most people avoid or make fun of.

Simple rule: if it stinks, it stays out side. I would DEMAND that every kid has a bath or shower at least once a day - with the use of a body wash/soap, as well as do a hair wash twice a week (unless they have been at sports/ sports practice / swimming which means a hair wash in my house.) Kid would need to use deoderant, wear clean clothes every day. (Also make sure bathroom towels are changed out regularly, otherwise you have clean body and stinky towels.) \
This normally cleans up ANY STINK. If it doesnt, thereafter you can see if there is a hormonal problem, but what you describe is just lack of good personal hygiene.

I am happy my son showers every day and washes his hair every second day. He has discovered cologne this year Sad and sometimes my 12 year old REEKS of the stuff!! I have had to tell him not to bath in the damn stuff! At least he doesnt stink but I do sometimes wonder how he breathes in those fumes...! I still have to ask: Have you brushed your teeth because for some reason this is NOT automatic, but it is happening because the visits to the oral hygienist tell me so. Someone needs to stay on top of their hygiene sometimes - and it may need to be you.

In the end, stink clothes thrown out, dental bills, illness due to bad hygiene end up costing you way more than it is worth.

witch.hazel's picture

I used to have an SS who smelled the entire house up as well, and it would linger for months after he left (he lived with us). It was just a smell I cannot even describe.

I feel you. I used to take those air freshener rocks- the ones that look like colored crystal things...put them in a decorative dish right by his bed and wherever he spends time. They are strong.

The fruit smell can be a symptom of diabetes, so maybe he ought to be checked for that.

Thumper's picture

OH we do not do stinky kids at our house. No no no no nooooooooooooo

Of course you dh should have THAT talk with his own son. Its gross that he has not already.

Its daily showers here, sometimes 2.

You 'could' run to the drug store and pick up guy body spray and stick it on his dresser for those in-between times. Make sure he has deodorant too on hand. Dad should pull him aside asap.

Gross.

in the mean time maybe sage his room???? Wink Blum 3 and buy a few glade oil plug in's

Rags's picture

Nothing holding him accountable for bathing won't fix. Protect your assets from his putrid odiferous emanations by not allowing him in the house or your cars until he is bathed and in clean clothes.

Lather, rinse, repeat. It is not only a health issue for him but extremely disrespectful to anyone and everyone he is in the presence of to not bathe adequately.

If his dad wont enforce it then you will have to. Hand him a bottle of Dawn dish soap (gentle enough to degrease baby animals so it wont hurt the Skid) and point him to the garden hose and tell him that after he scrubs himself and his clothes that he can come in, stand inside the front door, and not move until he air dries.

Stick to that mantra until he starts proactively taking care of the problem..... or daddy forces him to fix it.

Good luck.

stepmomohio's picture

:jawdrop: My step daughter stinks. She seems to think it is okay to not do laundry but every two weeks. We cannot allow her to use our toilet anymore. She doesn't flush. Leaves pads laying on the floor when she showers. I have until August of 2019 (college!!) to put up with her.