You are here

How can i get my husband to stop babying his 16 yrs daughter

stepmom1106's picture

I have 2 children age 7 and 21. Both are very beautiful, smart, and independent human. i have been marry to my spouse for just over a year and his 16 yrs. old comes over everyweekend and i swear that man treats her like she is 6...he get her food and drink and has to tell her to take a shower. she looks and smell pretty bad and stay in her room all weekend on the computer god knows doing what. She has no rules at our house and he is afraid she will not like him so he let her get away w/alot. Im at my wit end coz my girls would not have gotten away w/all that and know not to act like that. He also practically begs her for time and affection and that makes me lose respect for him as he appears pretty pathetic. please help me to see clearly what i have to do Sad

Jsmom's picture

Step back and leave it alone. It is his kid. He is doing what he can to have a relationship with her. Teenage girls are miserable. They make everyone miserable. If there is no fighting, I would consider myself lucky.

Soon-to-be-Step-Mommy's picture

Oh god...mine babies his almost 8 year old and I can't even stand THAT...yikes!

Kes's picture

You could try pointing out to him that he is not giving her the skills she needs to live her life independently, which is going to happen in quite a short time!
She needs to take responsibility for her own personal hygiene - if not she is not going to have many friends!
There are more important things than how much she likes him - like is he providing a good role model for her? Ask him that. Once in a while she should be encouraged to cook a meal for the rest of the family - with help, if necessary. She need to develop life skills - and quick! Ask him if he really wants an adult daughter with the life skills of a 5 year old - because that is what is in store if things stay as they are.

alwaysanxious's picture

I feel your pain. My SO is worried about the same, so he doesn't really come down on his kids much. Although his daughter spends too much time showering and in the bathroom. I agree with the posters who say you can't do anything and just have to step back. I have been spending the last year putting in my opinions and its only causing problems between me and SO. Just try not to be around and watch it. I'm trying that now. It makes me so frustrated and physically ill to watch their interactions sometimes.

Noturbabysmama's picture

I haven't been here for a long time but feel the need tonight. I have grown daughters and twin 16 year old SD who live here half the time. I've been here almost 5 years. Yes, I'm in the house they had with their BM and Dad. Don't even start telling me what a mistake that was. They are very smart, attractive and well adjusted. BUT...they have been raised not to have a single responsibility in the household. My favorite saying is "This is not the Hilton and your name isn't Paris"! It has taken 4 years for them to close the shower curtain and hang their towels up. They refuse to wash dishes, pick up their room, take their muddy shoes off when entering the house, or do one single chore. The only thing they do NOW is put their dishes in the dishwasher (no rinsing). I am SICK OF ALL OF THIS coddling. They leave for college in one year and they don't know the first thing about earning money or taking care of their own messes. Their Dad says he picks his battles and they don't do drugs or flunk out of school, so he allows the rest. My counselor says I have no disciplinary authority. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO to get through the next year? I get absolutely sick the day before they're coming back here and my blood pressure shoots through the roof when they walk in the door kicking their shoes off into the air. HELP!

alwaysanxious's picture

deleted

Jsmom's picture

My topper would be the shoes in the house. One of my biggest pet peeves. They have to take their shoes off in the laundry room. It was a huge fight when I moved in. But, everytime they tried to walk through the house, I sent them back to the laundry room. I treated these tweens like toddlers and walked them back to the laundry room. It worked. Now it is automatic. Actually that didn't take that long.

As for Bioson and his mess in his room, I go in every once in awhile and clean. Drives him insane, because he is not sure what happened to his stuff. I have a box in the garage and give it back to him after he flips out. That has helped him pick up when I yell about it.