You are here

IN DOUBT AGAIN

angel77's picture

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I last visited and suddenly felt the need to vent.
In short my situation- Been with partner for 6years, not married but living together. Two years ago his son came to "suddenly " live with us(teenage son nearly 16yrs old now). It's been a rocky road and it's up and down. The adjustment has been hard for me and I still feel resentment toward this boy.
I love my partner deeply and we have been talking about getting engaged. I've never been married and have no children of my own. But in the past couple of weeks , I've had a couple of confronations with SS. Everytime I ask him to do something, be it homework,household chores etc, he has begun saying "you're not my mum, so what your problem". This has happend twice now and on both occasions he's said it in front of my partner. The fist time it happened my partner didn't interefere and let us try and fight our battles. But, this kid said it again to me the other night and I was so angry ,and this time I let my partner deal with his sons rude behaviour. Even though my partner did talk to his son, and I still didn't feel supported and defended by my parter. Unfortunately , my partner is a parent who is driven by guilt from his previous divorce and put his son on a throne trying to make up for all that this kid has gone without. My partner is more like his son's "buddy" than his parent. And this places a huge strain on our relationship. Sadly, my partners ex is a usless mother and rarley makes time to see her son , so i guess this kid has a chip on his shoulder and is starting to become bitter now that he is growing up. He is starting to disrespect me and I feel that I constantly have to watch what I say or do. He is an extremely clingy kid and is demanding of his father. And that annoys the crap out of me alot the time.
Lately,when we have been talking about marriage , I'm just filled with doubts. The doubts of it not working out, that I will always come second ,worried that his sons bad behaviour is only going to get worse and imagine if I'm pregnant, with this asshole kid making my life miserable. I feel as though that my partner is so focussed on making his son happy that he loses sight of our relationship.
I only want to be married once, but at times I feel that my partner has alot of emotional baggage, especially when we argue, he just gives up and wants to be on his own. Sonmetimes I feel as though his enotional scars come out in our relationship, and he doesn't see it. I'm already 33yrs old and he's 40. I don't want to waste the most vital years of my life in limbo land. So unsure and confused.

Any advice would be great!

on the fence's picture

You do not need to be his mum. It's your house and he is living in it. You don't need to be a parent to demand respect in your home. The daddy guilt throne he's on is oh-so-familiar! On the bright side, he's almost 16. At least you have only a couple of years to go.

Sleepy's picture

My response to "you're not my 'F' mom and you can't tell me what the 'F' to do" was...
"You're right. I'm not your mom. I'm also not your bank, your maid, your chauffeur, your laundromat, or your accountant and until you show me some respect, I won't do the work of any of those other things either."

I have not washed a dish, stitch of clothes, given a ride or a dime to/for SS in over a month. When his attitude changes, mine will too.

My initial reaction to his "You're not my".... was to say, "Thank God for that!" but I bit my tongue and said the above instead.

Quyjye's picture

It sounds like if you stick around it will only get worse. You can almost say after 6 years it's a good thing you didn't get married. Even after SS turns 18 they will never go away. Just don't get pregnant because then you really can't leave. I think Is1988 is right.