You are here

Blowout With Boyfriend's Daughter

Bee Bee's picture

Last week I had a situation that came up that made me feel like I really need to connect with people that might be in similar situations as I am in. I don't personally know anyone that can relate. Anyway, background is my boyfriend and I have been dating 2 1/2 years and have decided to move in together. I have never been married and have no children of my own. He is quite a bit older than me and has been married once and has three children with her. They are 28, 18 and 11 years old. His ex had cheated on him/had an affair or two. It was devastating to him. After trying to reconcile their marriage (on his part), he finally filed for divorce. This was before we met. Well, the ex is very troubled and has constantly proved things he has said about her. She is very childish and mentally incapable of being a real parent. She has recently remarried but is living in a commune situation with her oldest daughter and multiple other people. So, there's a lot of history there. Well, I have had my ups and downs with the 11 year old, but feel our relationship is getting to a good place. My boyfriend constantly says his kids need a mother and encourages me to take a more proactive role in parenting them. A couple of months ago, the 18 year old daughter broke up with her boyfriend she was living with and moved back into my boyfriend's house. My boyfriend travels a lot with his job and is gone for most of the week. So, his daughter and I are there together alone. We have gotten along well, at least that's what I thought.

My boyfriend had asked the daughter multiple times to dispose of her female hygiene products in the kitchen trash can so the dog doesn't get to it. The dog has gotten to them a couple of times and left a bloody mess on the floor. When I woke up one morning last week, there was a huge bloody mess on the bathroom floor. I had gone out to jog/walk and when I came back the door was opened and light was on, so I knew she had been up and had to have noticed the mess. I decided I needed to wake her (if she was actually asleep) to take care of it to make a point that she cannot let that happen. Also, she had left her wet towel on the floor and her boxes of female products all over the floor. I went downstairs to her room and woke her up and had her come upstairs so I could show her and let her know she needs to clean it up. She acted surprised. But, I didn't react. I just told her she needs to properly dispose of the products like we have discussed and to not leave her towel on the floor. She angrily started picking up the bloody mess, but just putting it in the bathroom trash. Then she looked at me and said I was being rude and went to go back downstairs to her room. I reached out to shut the door that went downstairs and she acted like I had struck her and started yelling at me. I told her all I asked her to do was take care of her mess. She told me that I am not her mother. I said in this house I am her mother. She then said that I should get the f#$% out. I told her no, that I am not going anywhere. I told her if she doesn't take care of things she will loose her privileges. I told her she can leave if she doesn't like it and she told me that it's her house, not mine. She told me her dad told her repeatedly that he doesn't want me living there and nobody wants me there and she doesn't know why I'm there. I told her I love her dad very much and he asked me to live there. She told me her dad will choose her over me. She said the truth is she never liked me. She said that we always argue (news to me) and that I am always butting in and giving my two cents. Well, she ended up calling her mother. Her mother later that day sent me a long Facebook message threatening me.

My boyfriend had talked to both of them. He said that the mother is extremely jealous of me and has definitely tried to poison her kids against me and that she fueling the fire. While my boyfriend and I both agree that I probably shouldn't have woke her up like that, he says he believes that his daughter has some deep issues that I just exposed and that it mostly isn't even about me. He also thinks his daughter might be Borderline. The mother definitely has some mental issues, possibly Borderline. Later that day, I sent her a long text apologizing for my part and letting her know that it hurt me that she said she never liked me. I told her I probably can't change that, but I hope we can learn to at least co-exist. She never responded. I saw her later that day and said hi to her and she just glared and kept walking. The next day my boyfriend told me that she told him that I sent her a fake apology. He was back home that day and while she was there he asked her if she said hi to me and she said she doesn't want to. Also, she had showed him how I "slammed" "her" door and ended up putting her hand through the door. He got very upset with her and made her go out and get materials to fix it. He said obviously she was exaggerating, because I didn't break the door. Ugh! The next day I attempted to see if she would talk to me and she told me she didn't want to. The next day, I saw her and asked if we could please talk, that I am sorry and that I would like to get past this. She then blew up at me and got extremely defensive and basically repeated what she said before. Her dad was standing by me and tried to get her to settle down and not try to fight me. She even acted like I was trying to attack her and threatened to attack me. She said that she doesn't listen to her stepdad and she won't listen to me. She said she is an adult and can do things on her own and that I am not her parent and am not a parent and she will not listen to me. My boyfriend said fine, while he is gone out of town this week that the two of us will not talk to one another. He said if we have an issue to go to him. We both agreed. 

This has torn me up. I feel like out of all of my boyfriend's kids, she is actually the most like me. Which, may be the problem. However, we are baffled by her complete resistance to try to make peace or reconcile. My boyfriend has been great about this, more than I would have guessed. He has been very supportive and caring toward me. He has tried talking to her one on one about it and gets nowhere. He believes it really doesn't have anything to do with me. He believes she has some unrealistic fantasy about her parents getting back together, even though she repeatedly says she is very glad they divorced. She might also just want them both to be single. He says he will not choose her over me or the other way around. He says that he does want me there and she is just going to have to accept it. He doesn't know what to do, either. He said he will try talking to her again today before he leaves. 

I have started looking into Borderline Personality Disorder and traits of a sociopath. I think both can apply to her. It's comforting to know that there's a lot there that mostly doesn't have anything to do with me. But, it's also hard because I don't know what's going to happen. I think she at the very least does need counseling. She can technically move out in a couple of months. I hope that is what will happen, but she has no real ambitions in her life. So, I fear she might try to stay there as long as she possibly can. My boyfriend believes she is afraid that I am taking him away from her. He says their mother never wanted her or her little brother. He was really their sole parent. I think that is a contributing factor to this. 

Thank you for listening and any support would be appreciated.

justmakingthebest's picture

I am curious of your age to start.

2nd- I am going to be honest, I pretty much stopped reading when you told his daughter that you were her mother in this house. That was big time over stepping. You are not her mother, period. You aren't even her father's wife. You are just the girlfriend. 

I know that hurts to read, but that is the reality. Of course she wants her parents back together, all kids do. 

As for him not choosing you over her or her over you- that is a problem in a spouse, as a boyfriend, eh, you can still easily walk away (so can he). 

JRI's picture

The good news is that your SO is standing with you. What is the SD's status? Student? Working? Going forward, sounds like she needs a launch plan, or a definite plan why and how long she will be there.  Then you can decide how you feel about whatever decision is made about that.

I'm tempted to suggest that you disengage except it seems like you want to be engaged.  But for the immediate next few days, sounds like your SO wants you to step back.  That will give the situation time to cool down.

In the meantime, i would watch my back.  I don't know if this girl has mental issues but at the very least, she resents you and doesn't mind showing it.

Good luck.

Bee Bee's picture

Thank you for your response. She does work, not quite full time. She refuses to even think about going to school.

Bee Bee's picture

Thank you for your response. She does work, not quite full time. She refuses to even think about going to school.

ESMOD's picture

I would be careful about armchair diagnosing her.  Though, it may help you to feel that the way she is behaving isn't as personal as it may be symptomatic.

Clearly you are in a difficult position.  His daughter is an adult.. yet still is looking to her family/father to support her.  He doesn't seem to have an issue with allowing her to live at home.  But.. you are technically the woman of the house and should be able to, as the adult, in the home, expect a level of cleanliness.

I think that you probably did strike a nerve when you told her that you were her mother.. it was probably not the best choice of words because it probably did escalate the emotionally charged situation.

I think that he does need to have a "final" talk with his daughter.  that you are his significant other and partner in running the household... he expects that if she wants to continue to live there that she treat you with respect and follow house rules.  If she doesn't like that.. she is and adult and free to find another arrangement for herself.

Do you guys need to hang out and do each other's nails? no.  But if you ask her to pick up her wet towel.. she should be able to do it without having a meltdown.  and.. whenever possible.. her father should be the one making her do these things.. only in his absence would you need to step in.

JRI's picture

I wanted to add that i understand uour SO's desire for a replacement mother figure for his kids, since the mother sounds flaky.  But that is unrealistic, as we hear people say over and over on this site, we are not their mothers.  So perhaps that would be an initial step once he gets back, to make him understand thst this is unrealistic, especially with the 18 yo.  If you and she can have a polite and civil relationship, that's probably the best he can hope for.

The 11 yo is younger so perhaps she is more receptive but right now, the 18 yo is the problem.

tog redux's picture

Well - you aren't her mother in the house, but you are an adult in the house, so you have the right to ask her to clean up her mess.

Your BF needs to stop "talking to her" and start making rules for her. Seriously, tampons in the kitchen garbage? Ewww.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Part of the problem is your SO expecting you to "mother" his children - two of whom are adults. "My boyfriend constantly says his kids need a mother and encourages me to take a more proactive role in parenting them." They have a mother and are not going to welcome you in any sort of a "mother" role - expecially when you are probably closer in age to them than you are to their father. Your SD has made it clear she does not want you in that role.

You are the woman of the house - and SD needs to treat you with respect. If she can't do that, she needs to move out. Ignore anything coming from BM.

Not to excuse her behavior, but I wouldn't like putting feminine products in the kitchen trash. Try getting a small trashcan with a lid on it for the bathroom - or put the can under the sink.

JRI's picture

What is the problem with disposing of feminine products by some of these girls?  Before my SD started her periods, i went over the disposal drill, stocked up on products, etc.  So she started her periods and I'd walk into bathroom and see the used products draped everywhere.  We had a discussion.  This is a quiz, what happened next?

A.  SD immediately began using the correct disposal method.

B.  The sewer backed up and the plumber dredged out many used pads.

Extra credit if you  know that DH didn't have a problem paying the exhorbitant plumber bill.  "'SD was just so proud she'd finally started."

notsurehowtodeal's picture

I would have rather died a thousand deaths then have my Dad know anything about my period when I was a teenager. I don't understand these girls who almost seem to flaunt it.

Harry's picture

But you are the adult, who house it is. You know where you stand now.  Always remember this.  There some very costly thing coming in her life.  College, cars, marriage, wedding ect.  Do not pay for any of this, that what mothers do, remember that is not you.

Your DH trying to recreate his "Happy Family" what he did not have with BM  is unrealistic, totally unrealistic for many reason.  He must get that out of his mind 

Survivingstephell's picture

Even if she's not ever formally diagnosed, learning on how to interact with those two types of personality disorders is a beneficial. I'd also recommend the book Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend. That way  you will know what is yours to own and what is hers.  Don't grovel too much to get her to like you right now. She needs to respect you first and the house rules her father puts in place for her to remain living there.   

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Stop apologizing, and start looking for your own place again. This situation was screwed up before you ever met this man. As long as there's a toxic high conflict BM in the mix AND the added challenge of having female skids, you will get the losing end of the stick. Also, the big age difference only causes more resentment and has put you in a territory dispute with the eighteen y.o., who has been given far too much power.

Men are very good at minimizing issues or just ignoring them altogether, and your bf did not do the work to prepare his daughters before moving you in. He also isn't putting his daughter firmly in her place, which is supposed to be below the woman at his side. His "solution" that you live in an uncomfortable environment with someone who loathes you is no solution at all. He's just riding the fence, and is fine with you being unhappy as long as he doesn't have to play the heavy.

What exactly appeals to you about this set up? Do you plan to marry this man, and then be his caretaker when he's older? This man is in for drama and conflict for many years to come, and it's likely the eleven yo will also be alienated and turned against you. Just when the eighteen y.o. settles down, the eleven y.o. will start acting out, back and forth, forever. And don't get me started on the topic of weaponized grandskids, whose parents will teach them that you're evil.

This man still has years of parenting ahead of him, and it's going to be VERY bumpy. Why not watch it all from the comfort of your own peaceful home, where he can visit sans drama?

Aunt Agatha's picture

And invest in a metal can with a tight fitting lid and put that in the bathroom, plus have her shut the door.  I have a monster of a dog that loves nasty things, so all trash cans here lock down.

StepUltimate's picture

If she's HOW old and refuses to clean up her own mess? Hell no, she can take that show elsewhere. 

Her tantrums & b.s. full-blown b*tch response just seal the deal. Bye Felicia.