You are here

1st time here -- Feel like giving up :(

AllieN's picture

I have been married for 8 years, my husband is from south america. We have two boys, 7 & 1. He has a 13 year old daughter who moved in with us recently. I always knew he had a child but he always said she'd never live with us because her place was next to her mom. Years ago he realized her mom was not a good example at all and that she was spending child support on herself and not his daughter and the journey to bring her over started. She doesn't like her mom and I don't blame her. She wasn't raised, she just grew up doing whatever she wanted which conflicts greatly with our rule oriented home. I feel she's a bad example for my 7 year old who has recently been misbehaving and whose grades have dropped. We have gone to counseling but my husband doesn't do any of the things we're told to do. I'm at the point that I'm willing to leave my husband just so I don't have to deal with her, I can't stand her influencing my children. Would love to have some advise as to how to deal with it from people who have experienced similar situations since my counseling hasn't helped.

Glassslipper's picture

^^^^^I agree, is she in counseling?
That's alot of prior neglect on top of alot of change for a child who is in the middle of the change into an adult.
She is going to need counseling probably well into adulthood.

AllieN's picture

My husband thinks she'll feel isolated if we take her to counseling. There are no sports that she likes going on until March :/

AllieN's picture

Thanks
I will try to convince my husband. I feel so desperate right now, I have been crying during work and dread going back home. Things can't continue like this much longer.