Autism

cristale54's picture

My oldest stepson is autistic. We live with my parents who are older and have had cats forever. My mother is the type of person who could never live without a pet.... She is the cat lady and Snow White rolled into one. We cannot afford to move out at this time and my parents wouldn't get rid of the cats because of my stepson in a million years, nor would I expect them to or want them to, but I too am an animal fanatic and call my cat my fur child. They really can't be kept away the whole weekend when my stepsons are here because the cats cry for hours on end. It would be cruel to the cats too. Anyone know how we may help my step son work on his fear of pets. If not only here for his safety in the future. I scared if someone was walking there dog on the side of a road my stepson is so scared he would run into the street and could get hit by a car cause he would not even look first cause he is that scared. I worry for his safety on this too. Could a therapist help?

The-StepDevil's picture

My nephew has severe Autism.

The thing with Autism is every emotion is amplified. Their hypersensitivity get so serious that even a simple haircut can actually cause psychical pain. The majority Autistic Children cannot stand to be restrained. "Leashing" him could cause severe damage to his psyche and/or make him wary of you around him.

I would recommend introducing the animals in his version of a safe environment. Read him children's books with cats and other animals in them. Try and make it as fun as possible with him. Bring in stuffed animal cats and let him play with them.

In a soft reassuring and happy/excited voice say "Kitty!" every time he sees a cat in a book or stuff animal. If that goes well, when he sees the actual cat, just keep him at a distance, point to the cat and say "Look (his name) Kitty!!"

It might take some time but this is how I got my nephew to accept my large breed dogs.

SweetMom's picture

Buy the cartoon movie aristocats and play it over and over. Animal cartoons may help. Like all dogs go to heaven. My son lived through cartoons. He would repeat and try to live the life of the movie and people was shocked how he repeated a sentence. I was too. Also, buy him the cartoon character action figures. He has to get familiar with the toys before he can move to real life things. It's a very slow process.

Red_panda7's picture

My youngest step son CB has Autisum and is 9 and my one bio son OB 4 just addores him worships the grounds upon which he walks wants to spend time with him which is cool until its not because the 9 year old is done playing and doesn't know how to get the 4 year old to quit and then lashes out both usually end up in tears 9 year olds bio mom has chosen to view me as ... I dont know the villain and I'm about at my wits end with my 13 year old step daughter AsB who hates my she plays nice in front of her dad but when he leaves she picks on her brother and my son and her older brother AcB who is 15 and who like my bio son lives with us all the time I can't parent them and wouldn't try to parent CB but I'm sort of wondering just what could I do to make the time he spends here easier for OB, CB and well me. We already separate OB and CB when CB has had enough the house has 2 floors and one has the main floor one plays in the basement and this is OK but it's a solution we keep revisiting