You are here

2 disbled step kids and no help

Mama1915's picture

Ok so ive never done this but im feelig hopeless and frustrated. My husband has full custody of his kids, both of whom are mentally disabled. 1 with autism and the other hasnt been diagnosed yet but shes definitely adhd and i believe has neurological issues. Their mother was on drugs when pregnant and continued to use with them in the house, she is clean now but still has no part in their lives. My husband doesnt seem to want to deal with their with issues either and just leaves it to me. Same goes for my in laws and so on. I have not had a break from these kids in 2 years, i stay home so im with them everyday all day. Both have sleep and behavioral issues. I myself have other kids feom my previous relationship along with a baby and my children are begining to be affected by the behavior of my step children and not getting my attention as im always held up with my step children. I guess the most frustrating part is the people really responsible for these kids do not want to deal with the children and i feel like way to much is being placed in me. I do my best to remain patient and remember it is not their fault but their mothers for doing this to them and then abandoning them on top of it but even my in laws refuse to take the kids for a few hours to give me a break. They will offer to take my children but not the 2 with the issues...I a ready to pull my hair out. I have expressed my frustration andbits either ignored or im told im playing favorites. Which is not the case, i love my step children but sometimes i feel i just want to walk away and be done because i can not handle them. The things they do are off the wall, i have been around alot of children but never any with behavioral issues like this at such a younge age. It makes me wonder how teen years will be, i have gone above and beyond to get them the help they need but theres only so much the doctors can do ya know. I feel horribe for feeling and thinking the way that i do, days like today i just want to pack up and leave and get my old life back but i cant because i know i am the only hope of these kids having a decent life and getting the helo that they need

CANYOUHELP's picture

You are to be applauded for trying to keep all of this up, but as you see kind lady, it is mission impossible. It would be difficult with normally developed children, much less two children with disabilities. And, you are not their only hope, you are just the only one doing all the work right now-- it sounds like.

The father was given full custody, not you. He needs to step up and you step down and go to the spa for a full day break--- at least one day a week.

I will tell you honestly, as they age the behavior with kids who have serious disabilities does not improve; it usually becomes more serious as they require a lot more one on one attention and you simply cannot provide it. You have too much on your plate now. Sounds like an in home assistant for you would be helpful, would your husband ever help you out with that?

Otherwise, given the tone of frustration you write, I believe you will eventually check out just to regain sanity. I would too; all of us would. Sit down talk with your husband, tell him what you will and will not do and make him arrange to give you the relief break(s) you need. You cannot do this alone and realize it. Make HIM accountable to his children.

The kids are fortunate to have you in their lives, but you need to take care of YOU, first. If nobody in the family realizes your needs, stop engaging until they do!

Mama1915's picture

I was independent before moving in with him, i worked full time had my own place and gave it up when i moved out of state with him when he got a new job. Before we married he helped with the kids, cooked cleaned gave bathes and was very attentive to them. After we married was when it changed and he stopped careing for them all together except finacially. My mom just talked to me a few days ago about the situation and told me i need to go back to work because i am not myself and its to much on me. I do want to i just feel obligated i guess is the best way to put it. Im afraid if i get a job i still wont be able to go because he wont stay home to care for them

Mama1915's picture

I have brought up a para which my oldest step daughter would definitely qualify for but my husband wants no part in " a stranger " careing for his kids. I have brought up me going back to work just for own sanity and time away from the kids but again he doesnt want people he doesnt know careing for them. My oldest step daughter is blind on top of behavior problems so she requires ALOT. Before i stepped into the picture my mother in law was helping my husband care for the kids but since we have been married it seems everyone feels they have a mom now so they are no longer obligated. I have packed up and left a few times but always come back. I cant leave them with my husband, ive done everything for so long i dnt even think he would know where their clothes are let alone get em up n off to school get em their meds n so on. Hell i dont even think he knows what time the bus comes. He gets upset because my parents will take my kids to give me a break but not his and doesnt understand that my parents can not handle his kids. They are old and have no experience with disabled kids and are not comfortable taking them. My mom will come watch them for 10 to 20 minutes here and there if i need to run to the store quick but thats it. She simply does not have the patience needed for the kids. My oldest step daughter is well behaved for the most part but with her being blind she needs alot of help with pretty much everything, and is autistic on top of it so she can not verbalize what she needs most times. My youngest step daughter is just insane. Shes hyper and naughty and also has a hard time comprehending just about everything. Perfect example is today she was going to the bathroom and i reminded her to wipe her butt and she goes " oh ok " and starts wiping the toilet seat?? I asked her what she was doing n she looked at me with a confused look n said " well u told me to wipe my butt " ya ur butt not the toilet seat. And shes very clumsy. Ive had eyes and ears checked because shes always falling and no problem there so im sure its neurological. The doctors wont screen her until she is 5 tho which is even more fustrating

CANYOUHELP's picture

I would get a job immediately and if I had to leave to do it, I would.... No more husband trap!

Mama1915's picture

Im going to, i really just wanted to make sure im not wrong in how i feel. I ask myself if they were my kids if id still feel the same but at the same time i would never do drugs let alone while pregnant and allow it around my children nor stay with someone for so long who was doing so, it wasnt as hard at 1st but as the kids get der it seems to be harder or maybe im just worn out idk

ChiefGrownup's picture

The state should have some resources at least for the autistic kid in which you can qualify for respite care. The state has an interest in keeping these kids at home and families together that's why this resource is available. Make use of it immediately.

Stop buying into the "playing favorites" guilt trip various people are laying on you. Those two kids ARE NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

I can see how you'd want to step up but the reality is, as you're finding out, it is more than you can handle by yourself.

You do need to start looking at the whole thing as a different paradigm. Instead of feeling all the time that you have to do all the heavy lifting for those kids cuz you're the sahm, remind yourself they are not actually your children. So start by changing your language. Start saying "what are you going to do about it" when childcare issues come up. Currently he is assuming you will solve all his child care issues because you are assuming it, too. Step out of that paradigm and build a new one.

BTW, my ss is autistic. At 15 he is much easier than he was at 10. Just some light at the end of the tunnel for you.

Rags's picture

Time to get these kids into a program where they can get some help and that gets them out of your hair so you can have a life. Get a job that gets you out of the house and forces DH to deal with his children and their problems. As long as you deal with it for all of them, they won't deal with it for themselves.

You are being taken advantage of by your DH, the BM and your ILs.

Quit letting that happen. Never forget that the road to hell is paved with good intentions and your life is a living hell because of your good intententions.

Your plan to go back to work needs to progess immediately past the planning stage and into the doing stage. Arrange for day care for your own kids and inform DH and your ILs that they are going to have to figure out care for the elder two special needs kids. When everyone is at home together then of course you participate but you do not take 100% of the kid and home care. DH needs to step up too.

Take care of you.

Good luck.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

For me, the deal breaker is the effect this unhealthy situation is having on the other children in the home. If you don't put them first, who will?

There is no point in trying to to discuss, reason, or reach a compromise with your H or in-laws; they all have their own agendas that include you being the drudge and making their lives easier by doing all the heavy lifting with his kids. The last thing they want is a change in the status quo.

In a healthy second marriage, each partner brings their own baggage and handles it. But you got handed the ole bait and switch by a man who went hunting for a woman to care for his severely challenged children. And cynic that I am, I have to wonder if having an ours baby was just another way to further tie you down.

Please, please, do right by your bios and get them and yourself out of that mess. Those poor skids will never get the help they need, and your bios will never get the peaceful balanced life they deserve, until you remove yourself from the equation.

Mama1915's picture

Thank you so much for your advice and support everyone, i attempted a talk with my husband tonight but he quickly showed me how right you all are, here i am still wide awake at 1am with his daughter who refuses to seep ( or be quiet ) my son whos cough is so bad he cant sleep, my baby who doesnt sleep more than 2 hours at a time and my husband is passed out snoring threw it all. I tried putting his daughter in bed with him hoping he wouldbtry to get her to sleep but he just rolled over and went backbto bed. Tomorrow morning i am going out and getting my life back!!!

Mama1915's picture

Thats exactly what im doing! I am so beyond ticked off. His daughter is STILL wide awake. She hasnt slept at all and its 6am. I did go sleep on the couch ive gotten about 2 hours of sleep, i woke up to his daughter jumping around in the room, she also woke up the baby and when i asked him to get up because i havent slept well he got pissed woke up the whole house n now im on the couch again with my baby who definitely isnt going back to bed. Im wakong mine up at 7 im packing and im leaving.

Mama1915's picture

I did get out of the house, i keft right sway after getting my kids on the bus, i wwnt and picked an application for daycare assistance and am currently at moms. Shes going to watch my 2 so i can nap. I left his 2 with him. I have had enough, last night and this morning did it for me

ChiefGrownup's picture

Brava! Well done, girl!

Please keep us update!

Mama1915's picture

Im home but hes kissing major butt. I know its just a front though, the house was clean when i walked through the door and he cooking dinner, did dishes and laundry. He has not done more than take out a bag of trash or get after kids maybe sweep the floor if i decide im not going to do it. I out him on blast on facebook and im pretty sure he is veey embarrassed and i know he recieved a few phone calls about it. Doesnt change anything though, i have not tended to his kids since ive been home, i have been busy filling out county papers and job apps. Hes in for a very big reality check.

Mama1915's picture

Without me helping to tend to his kids they are even more hyper and obnoxious than normal, im getting a good kick out of it. They have not been listening to him at all and he keeps looking at me to step in but i wont. Not unless its affecting my kids

Mommy long legs's picture

not sure if your ablw to respond a couple years later from this post. but, im curious as to how you are dong now and how things are? im in a similar situation as you. although, my husband is attentive and aware of their disablities. its hard to take on these responsibilities and obligations. i hope all is going well.