You are here

Step Son Stealing

Cincotti's picture

I'm a newbie to this site please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

My step son is 22 years old and has been arrested for two separate thefts. He did not go to jail for either, but got probation and knows that the justice system lets him do whatever and not get into serious trouble. After he was arrested the first time, my husband told me about it and I told him that he can no longer live in my house and my husband agreed. In the meantime I notice that all my gold jewelry was gone along with my daughter's gold jewelry. Also about $2,000 was stolen for my son's college tuition. My stepson admitted to taking my things over the course of a year and he paid me back so my husband begged me not to file charges, which I did not. Since then he has been arrested again and my husband runs to help him with court costs, court dates, etc. They are co-dependent on each other and I'm getting fed up with this nonsense.

We have huge fights over the fact that his son continues to call my husband's cell phone on "my time" and my husband doesn't understand how betrayed I feel. He says that he should be able to talk to his kids, and my suggestion was that he talk to his son during the day while I'm at work and no calls to or from him during the evening and weekends. Am I overreacting?

Burt's picture

Tough tough tough. My ss used to steal our linen and small appliances. Money for drugs. His got himself a real good girlfriend, who keeps him honest but I still do not trust him when he comes to visit. Also you cannot stop the kid from calling to speak to his dad. Hang in there, its tough

Rags's picture

ZERO tolerence on the stealing. I would have him in jail if he took so much as a stick of chewing gum without asking.

As for the calls from the StepCriminal to your DH on your time. You may or may not be overreacting. However, I would certainly have a discussion with your DH to give him clarity that a ringing phone does not have to be answered and is only a request for attention. If it is important the person initiating the call will call back or leave a message and your DH can return the call at a more appropriate time.

I call my parents during AM and PM drive time and periodically during other times throughout the week. If they are busy they won't answer. My feelings are not hurt when they don't answer. I am happy that they have things to do in retirement more important than waiting for me to call.

Best regards,

Success is rarely final. Failure is rarely fatal. It is character, courage and consistency of effort that count. Vince Lombardi (with some minor Rags modifications) To each according to their performance, screw Karl Marx. (Rags)