You are here

Selfish - is it too late to fix?

sctrdthts's picture

She is his daughter. The mother has forced him out of the picture in such a way that we had to get the law involved. They were never married, so no divorce agreement to go by. She'll be 8 in March. We've just gone through a year long court process just to get some visitation with her. We get her on every other Sunday from 11-7 and Tuesday from after school until 7. In Feb we will have her from Saturday night at 5 until 7 the next night. So with the time we currently have with her, how can we teach her to not be so selfish?

She doesn't say thank you, she complains all the time, she has little to no gratitude for anything we do for her. I made her an ornament with her name and she said I told you I didn't want this, I don't like these letters. We had her for Thanksgiving. We spent 4+ hours at one relatives house where she played Polly Pocket and Wii and had fun and games allll morning. That night though we had to spend 2 hours at another relatives house where unfortunately there weren't other kids there and instead of just going with it, she hissed when introduced for the FIRST TIME to her aunt and cousins, then complained the whole time to the point that she spent the evening in the other room by herself watching a movie(Mind you the relatives had to turn off music, figure out how to use the TV the never use for movies and adjust it to HER needs). We just found out after talking to her mother last night she wrote in her journal at school "I hated Thanksgiving day it was the worst day ever. I never want to do that again." And also on Thanksgiving on way home, she even had the nerve to say I wish I never met those people.

I can go on for hours about what her mother has taught her, but it wouldn't solve the problem. How can I teach this ungrateful, selfish child during the limited time we have with her? Last night her father and I were talking and he was so frustrated at how rude his daughter was and how hurt he was that she would say and act the way she did around his family. She is just soooo rude. Please help me. Please gve me something to help break this child of her disgusting behavior. It's truly worse than the picture I have painted and I am desperate.

startingover2010's picture

well, she needs a firm lesson taught each time she acts inappropriatly. by your dh, not you.

set some ground rules for her, and add punishments for NOT following those rules. and stick to it. she may act like a monster on crack with her mom but at least maybe with you guys she will act differently.

sctrdthts's picture

I bought a dictionary and every time she displays negative behavior she will sit down, find the word and write the definition 10 times or more depending on what she did. We will make her write her action and what she should be doing... ungrateful - gratitude, rude - sincere... etc etc....She will learn what "gratitude" means and "thank you" and "respect"... not to mention she will be writing Thank You cards to EVERYONE who bought her anything for Christmas. I can only imagine what hell she will raise for this.