You are here

My Step kids and Their Feelings

StepDadInTraining's picture

Alright.
and
Hi everyone, I was here under another name a few months back but off to a fresh start here. So heres the issue.

My Fiancee has 3 daughters, 1 that lives a state over with paternal grandmother and 2 more that she has sole custody over. Well me and my fiancee live together and have been living together for quite some time now, things are getting to be quite rocky. She has an 11 year old and a 9 year old that live with us and I love them unconditionally but there are issues within the home. Our 11 year old has had a lot of issues and has finally gotten over all of them and leads a peaceful life with my fiancee and I, as she now acts as a young adult as opposed to what she used to do that her sister does now. It seems that everyone talks about the terrible 2s well damnit be, the nonsensical nines are right around the corner!! Im telling you the second our youngest turned 9 it was ALL over and finally here we are closer to 10 then her 9th birthday and we are up for one hell of a fight!! She wants respect but wont be respectful she wants to be heard but wont listen, its her way or the highway, well under my roof thats quite the contrary actually. So now tonight was a breaking point, parenting classes have been attended and books have been obtained and studied, game plans have been set and words and feelings have been exchanged.....

I said to her, "What do you expect to come from this behavior??" her response was nothing short of "I want respect too!" I understand 100% where shes coming from, a 9 year old girl coming into adolescence gripping as much control and independence she possibly can, fine.... but come on. I said to her, "What do you mean?" she then disclosed that "All of mommys other men have treated her nicely and respectfully..." I responded by asking her if she treated them like she treats me the answer was no, I asked well, whats different? her response was I treated them nicer.

Whoa!

So I asked her after if thats fair to me, if she were to walk into a store and give 5 dollars and get the same stuff everyday and then walked into my store one day with 3 dollars for the same stuff then she wouldnt get it. So why expect it. Then she told me that she liked one of her mommys exes and wished he was still around.

Heres the issue, my fiancee was either beaten, used or messed with or all in every relationship she was in... I dont want to talk about those people that did that to her so I ask that there be no discussion of my fiancees exes because I dont like them being a topic of conversation because they are in my opinion unfit to be spoken of in my presence for what they did.

My fiancee says that I need to respect my step daughters feelings and let her express them to me as to not repress the feelings.... I dont want to talk about those people that used her mother, hurt her mother, cheated her mother and all of that.... its that so bad????

What do I do, how do I do this?

I dont want those memories around me because I know the truth, as a child they DONT know the truth.

If this all keeps up I will be single and another man will be in these girls lives.... one of the last things they need and I dont wanna leave this family Ive been part of for such a long time now.

StepFatherInTraining

Tx mommy of 3's picture

"listen, sd, your mom isn't with exbf anymore. It didn't work out between them because of grown-up stuff. I'M with your mom now and have been with you all for x-amt of time. Exbf is out of the picture and won't ever be back in your mom's life. But I am here. And I want usto work as a family, but I can't do that without your help. I need you to give me a chance/be respectful of me (or whatever it is you wantto say). I plan to be around for a long time so hopefully you can get used to me being around so that we can learn to get along better." or something like that.

We were doin fine but all of a sudden its like WTF is going on here?!

Thanks for your input mommy of 3

Definitely gonna try and word something similar to sd

Tx mommy of 3's picture

My kids are younger so I have no experience with that age. But I'm guessing it's a pre-teen phase? Also, idk your wife's past. Maybe no guy has stuck around this long? If so he could be afraid you're going to leave anyway. Or just fears the unknown of actually getting close to another stepdad. There is no telling. But chances are since she talked once that if you actually talk to her then she might open up more. Good luck!

DelilahS's picture

Hi there Smile

My stepson used to make similar comments at eight-ish; "Daddy's old girlfriend was much more fun than you." etc.
You're right about the struggle to garner respect as she gets older. Thats exactly what its about - a power struggle. (Think "i hate you mummy" or "i love daddy more than you" etc as the bio parent equivalent.) Her instincts tell her it will make you feel bad, but that she doesn't mean she has the maturity to understand why, or understand the extent to which she is hurting your feelings (does that make sense?). The best thing to do is ignore it or act like it doesn't effect you. Don't give her the reward.

If it becomes something she goes on and on about, then you will need to talk again with your wife. If she just happens to mention them in conversation, fine, let her. If she is always comparing them to you, then she is being rude and trying to antagonise. Explain the difference to your wife. You are both right, if it was a one off I'd say leave it. (Even though he may have treated you wife badly, he may have been someone special to this little girl. Remember the context the child speaks of him in). If it becomes a weapon she uses towards you, don't bother explaining the whys and wherefores, simply remain calm and say "you are being very disrespectful. If you continue to be disrespectful you will go to your room" etc. If she is doing it to get at you, she will know exactly what you're talking about.

Kudos on all the work with Miss11! Girls can be horrible (apparently when I was seven I told my dad, "I wish you would die so mum could marry the postman") but hang in there!!

Delilah
www.howtolivewithaliens.blogspot.com

Zoie's picture

Good morning,

I feel for you SD..but it seems like you are doing a great job. I do agree with some comments made so far. You are now in their lives and the ex's are just that ex's..end of story. My SD9 who I am having some real issues with right not (but that's beside the point) tried to do the same thing yours is doing to you and I told her very nicely.."I'm here and she (the exgirlfriend) is not. I love you and will not discuss her". I had to do this several times but finally it sunk in and now she will only mention her is she's trying to be mean to me.....

Delilah thank you, right before I read this I told myself that if I dont show it bothers me then it will not be something shes talking about. Like Dont Push the red button... U WANT TO PUSH IT so to say dont talk about these people is very much the same.... Thank you for your words they lighted me up a bit and yes Oh boy have we come far with 11 yr old sd

Zoie, not trying to pry BUT I would like to know what exactly you are going throuh as well... I am very curious as to see if its same here lol... More of an age thing than anything..

Zoie's picture

HI StepDadInTraining...take a look at my last post and you will see what's been going on in my life. Maybe you could provide some insight..I would really appreciate that....

It's very tough being a step parent, some days I think wow just hang on it will be fine..and it usually is...
Z