You are here

boyfriend still supports ex's & her child:

msrae2966's picture

I am thinking of marrying someone that still financially support his ex wife and her child (of which is not biologically my ex's child). My ex was only married to this woman for 2yrs. and they dated for 1yr. before marrying. My ex has been in the child's life for 3-4yrs max, yet he pays child support to her mother just as if the kid was his. He pays half of all of the child's expenses HOWEVER, he can't claim any of this money on his taxes because he never adopted the child, never changed her name to his. He also has both the ex wife and child on his health insurance and says that he's willing to take the ex-wife off, but not the child. He lives in a different city as the child but still picks the child up for weekend visits, buys her things, clothes, electronic gifts, etc.

Despite his ex-wife having a new boyfriend, my boyfriend is STILL paying the car note on the ex-wife's car and claims that she sends him checks that cover those payments and he says he is not willing to change this agreement because her credit is too bad to get the car refinanced in her name. My question to him is, why can't she just send the checks directly to the bank?
He also pays the car insurance for this car and claims that the ex is sending checks to him to pay him back for these payments as well. Again, why not have her get her own insurance policy and pay the bill herself?

To add, he still has a very close relationship with his in laws and said he'll forever call them mom and dad regardless of who he wed's in the future. He confides in the ex-father in law about his personal affairs and I feel this would cause a problem for our household if I were to marry him, because they would keep their daughter updated on what is going on in our home.

He called IRS and was told that he has no legal write to claim her on his taxes unless the mother agrees to it, and that while his actions are noble...he doesn't get any kind of tax credit either. He pays close to $6,000/yr in taxes and needs every credit that he can get, so this is why I have a problem with the ex-wife not allowing him to either alternate years claiming the child or her giving him a portion of her return (which he claims she can't afford to do).

I have not and don't plan on encouraging him to totally abandon this child. I feel that it would be fair to 1. end the overnight stays at his new home, but allow her to visit otherwise as long as "WE" both agree on when she comes; 2. come to a definitive dollar amount that he will contribute to her mother (his ex-wife) and stick to that amount. I suggested that he agree to help buy her school clothes once a year and give gifts on special occasions, but not a monthly amount. The child's biological father is incarcerated.

There are other issues that we don't agree upon, but they don't have to do with step children or the like.

I am here to either confirm what I am planning to do, which is to break things off with this guy because he is too involved with his past (his ex-wife). I also don't like the idea of financially paying for a child that he's only known for a few years himself. I know what I want out of life and I realize the a relationship may not come in the way that I'd like, but it just seems that he's not being wise not to have any legal binds to this child and it overwhelms me that he still pays her expenses (even if it is just the car note and the insurance).

Am I being a total (curse word) not to want to continue our relationship and being unreasonable?

qtpie013178's picture

You are not being unreasonable. Either has a "hero syndrome" born out of his insecurities; or he is still too emotionally attached to his ex. Believe me, if he's doing all of that, and the child is not his, he really loved that woman. I would even question that he is totally over her. She on the other hand, is obviously irresponsible, a user, and inconsiderate of his life. Do yourself a favor, and simply move on. I sm sorry that you have already become so invested emotionally with this man, but it doesn't seem like he gives you any options to win in this scenario.

msrae2966's picture

"hero syndrome" is definitely a part of his personality and I sense that he needs acceptance from his ex's parents AND I also believe that he is emotionally attached to her.

As an adult I know the danger of establishing a relationship with someone that is still emotionally attached to another person and as his friend, I believe that he needs more time alone to digest the fact that they are not together...he barks really loud about how he doesn't want to be with her, but that has a lot to with my skepticism.

As far as the kid, well, I just don't want to be involved in paying for this kid and therefore making the ex's parental responsibility lighter. I agree that she is a user.

I've decided to move on and keep searching for someone with the kind of "baggage" that I can live with (and visa versa).

Thanks for your input

simifan's picture

Honey - he has a wife & it's not you regardless of legal status. Have him call you when he's ready to be in a relationship.

msrae2966's picture

A wife?....you must have misread my post...I started that this is his EX wife I'm talking about.

lenalove's picture

What she means is that even if they are divorced he still sees her as his wife. His actions show that he still wants to be with her and not with you. It sounds like she dumped him and he still wants to be as close to her as a he can. He is using you, for your love and emotional support, but he really wants to be with her, even if he says he doesn't. If he really wanted to move on he would be more concerned about your happiness, instead of her and her kid happiness. He has no children with her and he no obligation to her or her kid. It is nice if he helps out sometimes with gifts, as long as you are fine with it, since he is planning a future with you, but he has made it known that he cares more about his ex wife than he does you. Move on to someone that will not just use you as a crutch. You are wasting time with him.