You are here

I would like to be told I'm wrong...how to change feelings about stepson

Swim_Mom's picture
Forums: 

Hi All - This is my first post but have been reading this site for a few weeks now. This has been long enough to know I should appreciate my situation, but I cannot seem to stop stepson from getting under my skin. TIA in advance for reading and hopefully providing advice...

Background: I've been divorced 5 years and remarried 2.5. I have 3 wonderful, amazing kids - DD19 (college sophomore - bioengineering/premed), DS17 (HS senior), DD14.(8th grade). DH has 4 kids - girls ages 25, 22, 19 and a boy age 13. DH moved into our house when we were married in 2016; last year we moved to a larger home to accomodate another bedroom for his son (standard EOWE and he takes the boy out to dinner Wednesday nights). DH is a loving father, stepfather and husband. His ex is batshit crazy though I've met her just once and definitely do not have the drama many people here do (other than my disgust at the amount of maintenance she gets...thankfully only 14 more payments). My ex has been on a downward trajectory since our divorce; I feel badly as he is my kids' father, but I am more than financially independent; he is making himself less and less relevant. DH has really stepped in with my kids and has a good relationship with all of them. Due to their ages when they met him, my youngest DD is closest to him, but oldest and DS know they can count on him for anything. They are all respectful to him and consider him to be another Dad; seemingly without conflicting feelings of disloyalty. I on the other hand do not feel like a stepmom. As I had wanted more kids, this is disappointing. I know a lot is situational as DH's girls were more or less grown when we met, and obviously they do not live with us. They are "ok"...I respect them as all are accomplished and independent (aerospace engineer, computer scientist and chemical engineering student) though I feel they are somewhat lacking in manners and consideration.

However, SS is another story. BM is one of those people who is always a victim. Nothing is her fault, and she makes excuses for him (he has ADHD, he has anxiety, he has hypothyroidism...etc.) Therefore he is accountable for nothing. He does not get good grades, he is in no sports or other activities, and he lacks in basic manners (please, thank you, etc). He has gained about 80 pounds in the last couple of years. All he does is stuff his fat face and play video games. In other words he pushes every button of disgust with me he possibly could. I have never had conversations about the following with my kids, ever: 1) work hard in school, give it 110% and because they are all capable, I expect straight A's/AP classes and this is what they have 2) be involved in a sport for physical fitness, discipline, and engagement in school (all have done swimming and cross country - they all know how to set an alarm for a 5am swim practice no reminders needed). 3) Be respectful and appreciative and 4) Make your bed every day and keep your room clean! I am pretty sure my kids do not feel these expectations are an undue burden; this is just what we do. SS is a fat, lazy victim who really does not appreciate the wonderful father he has and has most recently been caught charging x-box games (my kids do not waste time with that shit) on DH's credit card. 

I only see him for a couple of hours every other week; I have started making dinner plans or going to friends' houses when he is here (DH understands this). I do nothing for him - no meals etc - his father handles all. The boy is just utterly repulsive to me. For the record, I did try for the first couple of years as did my kids (my son took him to Six Flags, we did things 'as a family' on SS's weekends - but the kid is weird and standoffish). So here is my question: I know I should be able to suck it up with this kid and be kind to him, with all DH does for my kids. The difference is my kids are generally appreciative and respectful (they will buy him Father's Day gifts of their own accord, they say thank you etc) whereas his kid is a fat lazy victim. So my question is - how can a talk myself into a better attitude towards this kid, just for DH's sake? Thanks for reading if you've gotten this far.

Chmmy's picture

Same boat as you. My DH does anything for my adult kids...looks for opportunities to help them or bond with them. They both live out of state so they are independent and don't require much.

His kids are entitled monsters. I feel bad that I cant stand them.

My kids are successful adults. His kids are liars manipulative, victims and mostly headed for loserville. My kids are more likable. Not just saying that as their mommy. I mean my step kids were abandoned by their mom because her boyfriend wouldnt put up with them so they live with us now. They're disgusting.

Im the definition of wicked step mom.

I feel bad for the kids but still cant stomach them.

justmakingthebest's picture

Sadly, unless BM and your DH can come to an agreement on screen time allowances, physical activites, ect- he won't change. I am really surprised that the doctor isn't recommending more physical activity (he/she probably is and BM makes excuses for him, I am sure). 

Maybe you guys could spring for a YMCA or rec center membership. Maybe wed nights can revolve around a excecise class as a family- kick boxing, Jungle Gym, Swim (my sisters Y has an aquatic track and her and her husband love), etc. Then a Saturday class too when he is with you guys. Get healthy together and bond over it? I don't know... Just a suggestion. I have one Skid who is autistic and bi polar and my BS13 has severe anxiety- exercise is good for them and actually helps meds work better. 

ESMOD's picture

It's tough when your SO has a child that you don't particularly click with.  I know I definitely had a less than warm and fuzzy feeling towards my SD's older daughter... she was just.. odd.. I guess.  It's not that she really did much that was out of the ordinary bad.. but she just reminded me of "Tuesday" from the adams family.. the girl just seemed to have very little inner joy.  She was just morose.  She also grew up to be extremely materialistic.. and focused on her appearance and having the 'right" clothes.  We literally spent a week trying to find the right shoes in the right color in her oversized foot size..lol.  She just wasn't very interested in interacting with me..

I guess the best way to deal with this is see him as a human being as opposed to the sum of his "disgusting" parts. To an extent, he can't help but be who he is.. and how he was raised by BOTH parents (your DH is half him).  And.. while he may have some negative traits.. perhaps there are some things about him you could find to admire?  Maybe he is good at art (my older SD was).. or good at math.. or maybe he is good at strategy (on his games).  Focus on the good.. and the fact that all  kids are different and perhaps his parent's split was harder on him.. maybe changing homes is harder on him.. maybe he gets bullied at school and eats for comfort?  Look for ways to empathize for his situation. I'm not saying you will "love" him.. but maybe you could at least see him as a human being and imperfect as we all are in some way.  I mean.. some people might say that you are overly hung up on physical appearance without taking into account that not all people are heavy because they are "lazy".. in fact there are usually very complicated reasons why people overeat and gain weight.  My OSD used to say snide things about other people we would see out if they were heavy.. wearing a bathing suit.. or wearing clothes that looked too small.  "She shouldn't be wearing that". etc... I (in the nicest way I could) would ask her if she knew whether that person could afford to buy bigger clothes.. does she know if that person has a health problem..or is dealing with abuse.. or is working a desk job to support her family and has no time to eat right or exercise.. or maybe she is depressed.. so are you telling me that all fat people should just hide in a dark room and wear full coverage parkas in 99 degree heat so you don't have to see them?'  After a while, she learned to either be less judgemental.. or maybe just learned to keep her mouth shut around me..lol. 

There is also nothing that says you can't encourage your DH to help his son work on some issues.  you approach it with your concern.  "I'm worried he will develop diabetes if he continues to gain weight.. I'm worried about his ability to make friends if he is bullied.  etc.. "  That's how I worked on my DH's parenting with him. from a place of caring and concern for his daughter's well being.

Then there is this final tool... "fake it till you make it".. pretend.. use positive affirmations about him.. tell yourself your attitude is positive.. and just polly anna away at it.. until maybe you actually believe it?

GoingWicked's picture

I struggle with this as well.

First I’d say, stop comparing him with your kids.  Ive done that too, it doesn’t help, and that really only makes us feel better about ourselves.  It’s very not fair either, he’s got different DNA, a different background, and a different personality with different interests Of course he’s not going to be similar to your kids.

Feel sorry for him.  He doesn’t get good grades because his parents have low expectations. He’s overweight because his parents don’t force him to get up and out or eat well.  He lacks manners because his parents haven’t instilled them.  Really you should be mad at DH and BM, they’ve done their child a huge disservice, and now he’s really going to struggle in the world.

Maybe see his video game habit as something not that bad, he’s not hurting anyone, and some people argue that video games can teach kids skills.  Or that lots of not good at school people (like Thomas Edison or Einstein) became great contributors to our society.  Or that some 80% of our population is overweight, it’s not that big of a deal.  

As for the manners, I had it out with DH about SDs manners, over and over again.  To me, kindness towards others should be the #1 trait anyone should have, if you don’t have that, nothing else matters.  It’s to the point where she has no friends.  It has gotten better with his coaching, she’s more social, even at home now, which is nice.

I’d also find opportunities where you can be kind to your SS, maybe buy him a small gift, or praise him at something, but make it genuine, he’ll pribably be able to tell if it’s not,  and remove yourself from situations where you just can’t feel kind towards him.

Harry's picture

I think you should try to support your DH for a few hours with his DS.  You should plan outings, fun things with some physical movement as paintball, type of thing. It may be good for all three of you.  But I did say a few hours EOW. 

Swim_Mom's picture

I appreciate the advice. Though no one has given me the ass kicking I probably deserve LOL :-)  I have tried reframing my point of view, but I just can't respect people who go through life with a 'poor me I'm a victim' mentality. Nor laziness. SS is both; his obesity is just a visual manifestation of these sorry traits.

I can't help comparing SS with my kids. They too experienced divorce and having a single mom. Not to mention their dad  chose to move across the country 5 months after our divorce and has moved about 5 times since. My ex was never a fully engaged, emotionally available father. DH is a MUCH better Dad, both to his own kids and to mine. Therein lies my rage at this rotten waste of space kid. My kids would never be this disrespectful towards their own father, and he is far less deserving than DH is! Fatboy will blow him off, never acknowledge all his father does for him, and now this incident with the credit card abuse. My kids have had my credit card memorized for years in case of emergencies, and I 1000% trust them. What kid dares to lie and steal from his own father??!

Unfortunately there is no co-parenting with BM - DH's hands are tied because she refuses to communicate with him other than the odd text here and there complaining the $6000 per month she gets isn't enough. (when the maintenance ends in February 2020, she will be a bag lady - I can't wait for that day). BM is the one who tells SS he is a victim, makes excuses for him, and creates the situation where he is accountable for nothing more than getting his fat ass on the school bus once in awhile. DH has been successful in instilling a 'rewards' program - i.e. EOW allowance which can be withheld. I do have a lot of sympathy for the non-custodial parent situation - there really is very little influence parents can have one night a week for 2 hours and every other weekend.

However - there are people with shitty parents who manage to grow up to be respectable human beings. SS does still have the example of what it means to be a man, and a good person, in his father who is very much there for him. I get he's "only" 13 but I feel that the fact he has the manners of a barnyard animal and no moral compass is 50% BM and 50% himself, very soon to be 100% on him. After all when he is 25, will people tiptoe around him as BM does and say with sympathy "oh but his parents got divorced...he was diagnosed with ADHD...etc.". I think not!! A 13 year old is not a toddler - he should know better than to steal from his own father, whom he should appreciate a lot more than he does.

Harry's picture

You are not going to change BM or SS.  The craziness is only going to get worst the closer she gets to losing the CS money.  You just have to deal, with SS for a few hours a month.  Go out, do something when SS is there. 

Rags's picture

My kid (former SKid-26 adopted at 22 by his request) has been dragging his mom and I all over the place all day shopping for gifts for his grandparents.  

These are my parents.  The most dedicated and loving GPs in his life.  If he were toxic, they wouldn’t be the most dedicated GPs.  

Behavior counts.  Dedication is rare if it isn't earned.

StepMomT's picture

I totally relate! Ugggh my ss is 12 and a lazy sloth.  Everything is boring, so he just flops on the couch to sleep as his way to say Fck you to us! We have him every other wknd, and zero wifi for him, so his way is to sabotage things.  I literally hide out, (as I am doing right now!) His BM is totally the issue. She is supposed to use the support $$$ she gets for activities, but she hasn't enrolled him in anything for 2 yrs. So he lives on video games at her place. I am so frustrated and feel your pain!!! 

Oh, and she just bought him a phone for his bday.  So now he has another screen to keep him occupied. Although he has zero friends, but lives on YouTube.  Not.my.kid.

morrginme's picture

I'm a firm believer that occupation does't mean squat. My SD16 does sports year round, active in her youth group, keeps her room clean, and gets perfect grades. She's also incredibly shallow, conceited, and enjoys being a bully to even her friends. She lies, steals, and cheats. Says she gets good grades so she can get a good job and get away from us. She likes to put down her older brothers who both didnt graduate from high school. 

I would take a child that cares about others and has compassion for others over a narcissistic college graduate any day. It would be nice if I could have both but it doesnt always work out that way. I try to parent the kid I have and not the kid I wish I had. 

You might just be too different for your SS. Have you ever thought about talking to him about his video games or try playing a game with him  eventually you could work in some other more positive activities.  Yet he isnt your kid so if you dont want to thats fine too. 

I got poor grades. I'm ADHD. Sports was what I was good at but if we had all those video games back then I would of probably been hooked on them especially if I was overweight. Kids don't like to be overweight or get bad grades. Video games is an escape. Stepping out of that comfort zone for a kid is terrifying and near impossible if they havent learned other skills to do things differently. 

Hope I didnt sound harsh. If I did it wasnt my intention. I don't know if there is an easy answer for your situation or even anything you can do about it. Without DH on the same page it sounds like a losing battle. Maybe make your expectations smaller at first. Find an app that he can gamify his chores like Habitica. He can get points for things like making his bed that help him move up in levels and buy things for his avatar. He can do battles, challenges, and even socialize.

Swim_Mom's picture

Thanks for your responses! My SS does not give a shit about anyone but himself, so it isn't an either-or.  He should care more about his wonderful Dad, but I doubt that he does. I might add my kids are academic powerhouses and athletic achievers, and they are kind and thoughtful as well. All three of them. (And that is what I'm most proud of about my kids - they are good people). SS's older sisters are also academic achievers - not athletic but they were in activities and/or had jobs. He is definitely the black sheep/loser. BM better make sure when she loses her house once maintenance ends in 10 months, that she has a basement for her waste of space son to live in once he graduates HS.

The great news is, the schedule has evolved so that DH pretty much just takes SS out to lunch and to a movie or bowling on "his weekend", and that is it. He also takes him to dinner Wednesday nights. (SS's entire life revolves around food and video games). So I don't have to see his fat a$$, ever! It's wonderful.