You are here

I feel bad but I don't like my soon to be step-son.. is it just to much?

boymomof3stepof1's picture
Forums: 

I'm 27 years old with 3 children. I had my first 2 kids by the age of 18 with a boy from HS that grew up to be a in and out of jail loser. I met my ex hubby when my 2nd was 6 months old and we stayed together for 6 years and had a 3rd boy together (my tubes are now tied). We split up due to growing up into different people wanting different things and different lifestyles. We get along great and he still plays a major role as the Father and Daddy to all 3 of my boys. Fast forward a few and now I'm living with my new BF and his 5 yr old son. (The mother is MIA since about a year old). My first hubby had a previous child who I loved and adored and would give my life for, no issues with the baby mamma either. However my new Bf's son crawls under my skin! i try to be nice and do nice stuff with him and he is always telling me how much he wishes we never moved into the new house together and he wishes i would go away and leave him and his dad alone. Now this past weekend he went to his grandparents and told them that im mean and yell and made him sleep outside??? I was like WTF??? As a early childhood educator and a mother of 3 myself i would never make a kid sleep outside. My bf knows that his son is making stuff up and knows that i'm not some evil monster but its causing us to fight all the time now. He got mad at me for trying to calmly tell him that by going over and starting to tell other family members that im just some awful person makes me not want to be nice to his kid and do extra stuff for him anymore i.e. ice cream dates, movies, bowling, eating lunch with him at school, taking him to the store afterschool for specail snakcs when he's had a good day... i didn't say that i was going to be mean or that i wouldn't be nice, just that it makes me feel awful inside and not want to be, and he flipped out on me. Saying i need to be the adult and it doesn't matter what his kids says that i need to still be nice and hug and love on him. I'm sorry but this has been going on and getting worse for 3 months now, i dont want to hug and love on a kid that just tried to convince his grandparents i'm the wicked stepmom. I gave up my full time job in order for my BF to take a better job with a better company and now my fiances are in a mess. He pays for all my stuff so i'm not behind or poor but if i leave him i will have 0 in the bank and have to start all over as we moved into together and sold the extra furniture and things we did;t need. Right now my balance is tipping and its going from wanting to be here 100% to wondering if i was better off as a single mom.. i miss my old life so much, and giving up so much to stay home for baciaslly my BF and now his son is turning into a brat is causing me alot of hatred in my heart that i don't want.. do i call it off now before it just gets worse and leave when our lease is up in Nov, or push through it and hope he outgrows this??? i could go on but im sure y'all get the jist.. i feel so stuck Sad P.S. I'm Sorry grammer is bad, im trying to cook spaghetti and type.. .

No Name's picture

It seems hard to believe that a 5 year old could cause so much stress in someone's life but I can tell you that children can learn to be masters at manipulation.
He wants Daddy to himself and the rest of you gone.
I don't have any answers but therapy may help.
A good therapist will help him learn coping skills and will pull you in as a family from time to time.
Also I found it helpful with my own children to read self help books. Even if you just walk away with one thing learned it is worth it.

DaizyDuke's picture

Well first of all a lot of this is your BF fault. Your BF should have had a chat with the 5 year old about saying things such as "I wish you never moved in here", "I don't want you here" etc. But it sounds like this never happened. So of course 5 year old is going to run with it! And again, did your BF bother to talk to the 5 year old when he told lies to the grandparents? I'm guessing he did not.

Things are NOT going to "get better" I can pretty much promise you this, because your BF suffers from guilty daddy syndrome and is happier to pitch the blame on you (hey you need to be the adult!) rather than where it belongs with HIM and his son. Doubtful this will change especially since he thinks his son is doing nothing wrong, that again, it's YOU.