You are here

Has anyone successfully or unsuccessfuly tried less conventional/ socially acceptable methods of step parenting/ co parenting?

Solidshadow7's picture
Forums: 

Long time lurker first time poster...

This forum is all about complaints. Complaints about the stepkids, complaints about your SO's behavior, and complaints about the BM. Probably because happy people don't go looking for forums to post on in the first place. I have a unique situation, and based on what I've read here, plus a few other forums and stepparenting books, its likely to be a complete disaster. I am attempting to preemptively come up with a battle plan on how to manage this without it ruining my life, and nothing I have read seems to indicate any good ways for me to handle this. I am willing to try anything.

I know that most people go into these relationships with preexisting children wanting to do what's good for the children, and wanting to have a good relationship with BM, and wanting to make everyone happy. They don't go in planning to be the "evil stepmother." It seems that most SM's I've read about or heard post here initially bend over backwards to not step on the BM's toes, try their hardest to raise kids that aren't theirs as if they were their own, and bleed themselves dry to make everyone happy and just be perfect all the time.

Some backstory- I myself had a stepmother, and with hindsight being 20/20 I think she tried too hard to make everybody happy too. Now that I read these things, all of a sudden her ridiculous behavior that I grew up around is starting to make sense. I have vivid recollections of her staggering around the house drunk occasionally breaking things muttering about how she gives and she gives and she does and she does and nothing is ever good enough, and something about how a bond between a father and his daughter is nothing she can ever hope to compete with and how she exists solely to be disrespected and mistreated. I remember entire sections of the house (most of it) being cordoned off as off-limits to me so that she could have her space and her sanity. I remember her moving out several times because of me and I remember being fully and completely blamed by both of them for their divorce some 10 years later. SM's try to do what's best for the children, and as that child that everyone tried to do right for, her trying to do what was best for me made her crazy made my father crazy and retrospectively really MESSED me up. Honestly, if my dad and her entered into their relationship with a "we couldn't care less about the child" attitude, I believe I may have been much better off than the eventual outcome. I spent years walking on eggshells, and years feeling guilty like if I'd somehow caused the whole thing and wishing I would just disappear so they could be happy. I also grew up watching my mother throw out man after man because she didn't like how he treated her kids-- the whole time complaining about how difficult it was to do everything alone with 4 children and making me feel guilty as the cause of that too. My parents tried to not talk badly about each other at first, but this left me feeling very confused as to why they weren't together anymore, why they couldn't be in the same room, and why my mother wasn't even allowed into my house to use the bathroom. I felt like I could never hope for a happy relationship because my only example of a happy relationship had randomly exploded with no warning or explanation. At some point they both started talking. My father told me all about how my mother cheated on him and got pregnant and was now raping him for child support and alimony because she wanted him to homeless. My mother told me all about how he picked up prostitutes and did jail time for it, how she spent her entire marriage being treated like a second class citizen and about how he was a lousy father to me and why. Supposedly these things are very bad to do. But they made me feel better. All of a sudden I understood why both my parents acted like lunatics around each other, and I understood that this had nothing to do with me. I understood that I control my own life, and I have control over my future relationships. My parents badmouthing each other was good for me.

I am not willing to become my stepmother. Under no circumstances. I also put my SO first, which means I expect the exact same. The child will grow up to have their own life, but this is the only life he and I get. If that mean's going into this as the most wicked stepmother ever, than so be it. I care about what's best for me first, and my lover second. The child is third. This is a unique situation. My fiancé and I have a history and a relationship that long predates the child, and we are on the same page in that we are going to make this work no matter what we have to do. He didn't want to be a father (not with her) but it happened, and now we are looking to do the absolute best we can do with what we've got. This is complicated by the fact that BM has already proven herself to be an absolute nut. I fully expect this journey to include the full gamut of parental alienation, withholding visitation, possibly false domestic violence charges or child abuse allegations. I expect multiple court visits and I fully expect her to train their son to hate me and his father to the best of her ability. Now if these things don't happen, I will be pleasantly surprised, but I will plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I need to know if anyone has tried any nonconventional step parenting methods. For example, when it comes to methods of parenting, you hear stories from all kinds of nut cases. You have parents who don't care if their 5 year old is wandering the streets at night, and you have parents who won't let their 20 year old go to the bathroom by themselves. There was some guy who kept the kid locked in his basement and only taught him to speak Klingon. I mean, clearly that's child abuse, but people do all kinds of crazy things when it comes to their own kids.

When it comes to step parenting, it seems the choices are- try to be the kid's mother, try to only be an aunt or a friend, disengage completely and have little or nothing to do with the kid, be only a housekeeper, or act only as support for your spouse and not worry about what relationship if any you have with the child. The whole role confusion thing. A stepparent has no clear cut role.

Since a stepparent has no clear cut role, I figure I can handle this however I want. Anything short of obvious abuse or neglect is pretty much open for consideration. I am wondering if anyone has tried some completely ridiculous off the wall method to handle this? Has anyone tried to ---Convince the kid that you are actually its mother? Completely ignore the kid 100% of the time as if they don't exist at all? Treat the child just like Cinderella, even buy it some glass slippers? Convince the kid that it is actually your mother and is therefore required to take care of you? Any other completely insane method of step child rearing?
How about ways to handle an insane BM that has set out to poison the child against you and its father? A BM so insane you fear for your life? Any creative ways to handle a complete nut? I know you are never supposed to undermine her or speak badly about her, but what if you've exhausted all reasonable options? If she tells the child that its betraying her by being nice to you, or she tells the child that his father doesn't love him, has anyone tried fighting fire with fire? Do something ridiculous-- Refuse to allow the child to refer to her as mom? Only ever refer to her as the incubator in the child's presence? (There is a guy on this forum who refers to his wife's BD as the sperm idiot and his sperm clan. I wonder if he ever does that in front of the kids?) Has anyone tried being completely and totally 100% brutally honest with the child about her behavior instead of being an adult and protecting the child from the truth?
Any creative ways to ruin her life for the purpose of keeping her so busy doing damage control she has no time to worry about the fact that you are around her child? Write her phone number on all the bathroom walls? Sign her up for every piece of junk mail in existence? Send her pizza three times a day?

I swear I have the best intentions. I ideally plan to love that child and plan to treat it like my own, even if it does have another mother. But I have seen things go wrong even with the best of intentions, the road to hell is paved with them. My fathers life was ruined because he couldn't successfully integrate a new wife. My mothers life was ruined because she couldn't successfully do the same. My life was ruined because I was caught in the middle and if my parents are miserable then so am I. Ironically my parents turned my entire childhood into a living hell by putting me first and doing what was supposedly best for me. I plan to do what is best for that child, and I plan on dealing with his mother as civilly as possible, even making peace if there is ever an option. However if it becomes clear that pursuing this relationship while being reasonable is going to ruin my life, I will not hesitate to defend myself and my fiancé by any and all means necessary. We are on the same page that we are putting the relationship first. We are also going in with a plan, and a few backups. The conventional stepmother/co parenting advice doesn't seem like something we can count on to ensure our happiness, so we are looking for alternatives. Any lunatics out there? Any true to life wicked stepmothers/stepfathers? What have you tried? Any stories of being absolutely evil to the BM or trying less accepted ways of handling the child? What was the outcome? Tell me your stories.

Major Blunder's picture

Mental note ; never go on a stealth mission with Superjew, one liner just got me busted at work when I audibly laughed.

Solidshadow7's picture

I don't know. Were Cinderella's father and the evil stepmother happy? Did their method work? The story doesn't address this part.
Clearly things worked out okay for Cinderella in the end so maybe she isn't the one we should be worrying about.

Solidshadow7's picture

I'm in therapy. I'm also the child of a therapist, the niece of a therapist, and have a degree in psych myself. My therapist says that having a stepchild is no big deal, and if the mother badmouths us or acts crazy it will have no effect on the child or our relationship whatsoever. This flies in the face of absolutely everything that I've read. Since the therapist, the books written by therapists, the books written by stepparents, and the thousands of people on the forums cant agree on what works and only agree that nothing seems to work well, I think its wise to develop my own step parenting plan.

Call me crazy if you want, but I am intent on doing this right for us and the child. I will do nothing until I have considered all my options and determined the best course of action, even if that's not found in any books. I am not DOING anything right now. I am asking for information, and will decide how to proceed once I know what my options are and have had the opportunity to weigh out all likely consequences. I just keep reading about how horrible step parenting is for everyone involved, and I lived the horrors myself as the child. I need to figure out what actually works, because I'm at a loss and the parenting books aren't really giving me anything that sounds useful, just advice on how to not be bothered by how awful it is.

Major Blunder's picture

Seriously no answers here, I tried parenting as my folks did, which was pretty good, I'm not screwed up just a little twisted. If you find a new fool proof plan for step parenting or parenting in general the world will celebrate you.

WalkOnBy's picture

You also lost your own child because one of your "consequences" for your skid didn't go the way you planned.

Solidshadow7's picture

Cherry girl- I can see plenty of reasons why throwing out things she leaves out or using them as a lesson makes it work for you. I can also appreciate putting yourself first, DH second and DD third. I do find it confusing that you prioritize the dog above SD, but im not judging, only asking what works. However, you also say that SD will not be allowed anywhere near your baby and your DH will have to choose. This doesn't sound like it makes for a very peaceful existence or a happy household.
How do you feel this level of disengagement is working for you? It sounds stressful to me, and it sounds like if you would probably be much happier if SD simply disappeared. Spending my life feeling that way would not make me happy, and if I am unhappy so is my husband to be. What parts of your strategy do you feel might support our end goals?

Solidshadow7's picture

Cherry girl- I can see plenty of reasons why throwing out things she leaves out or using them as a lesson makes it work for you. I can also appreciate putting yourself first, DH second and DD third. I do find it confusing that you prioritize the dog above SD, but im not judging, only asking what works. However, you also say that SD will not be allowed anywhere near your baby and your DH will have to choose. This doesn't sound like it makes for a very peaceful existence or a happy household.
How do you feel this level of disengagement is working for you? It sounds stressful to me, and it sounds like if you would probably be much happier if SD simply disappeared. Spending my life feeling that way would not make me happy, and if I am unhappy so is my husband to be. What parts of your strategy do you feel might support our end goals?

TwoOfUs's picture

Hmmm.

I could imagine having a little fun with this post...as I think it's clear that you actually do have good intentions and you did see the negative result of "putting children first" in your own life. My parents never divorced, but they also made it very clear that, while I was loved and adored by them, I was a visitor in their life together...not their main focus or the main event. I would say all of my siblings felt this way. Well cared for, loved...welcome guests and observers of my parents' life together, where they were very much in charge. This approach encourages launching, general wellbeing and happiness, and independent play (my mom always laughed at how amazed both sets of grandparents were at our interest in independent play...compared to their other grandchildren who needed attention every 15 minutes.)

I'm not sure how to do this same style of parenting with stepkids, though, as they may naturally doubt their place in the new household and act out to establish some kind of dominance or control over their dad. I'm also not great at being evil...I actually think a little more evil might do my soul some good. Worst / Best things I ever did: 1.) Set a text limit on SD's phone one month, knowing she'd hit the limit quickly and be unable to text her dad every five minutes. I really needed a break and so did he.I told her she was texting an unhealthy amount (not just to her dad, but in general) and needed to learn to cut back, which she has now; 2.) Hidden BM's child support check that we paid for two months after SS turned 18. I was annoyed that DH agreed to this without really consulting me, especially as he wasn't working at the time and it was my money...so I had a petty moment. DH has since paid me back for the extra support...but it still greatly irritated me that "we" agreed to it.

My main "evil" stepmom move isn't really that evil. I plan things on kid weekends with my own family whenever possible, and I highly encourage DH to spend "quality time" (aka just him) with his kids throughout the week. We work from home and see each other A LOT. Plus, we own a business together, socialize and travel together...etc. It's actually nice to get some time alone while getting DH out of the house to be with his kids. He always texts me on these outings saying how much he wishes I were there, how nothing's as fun without me, etc. So, kids get some personal time with dad, I get to take a bath interruption-free, and DH is reminded why I'm so awesome. Win, win, win.

Solidshadow7's picture

It does encourage launching. My father worked all the time and my stepmother didn't really care if I died, as a result I was left to my own devices most of the time. To an extent I was neglected because they didn't always reliably provide food, winter clothes, or medical care. When I needed something parents typically provide like a car or money for college my stepmother would do her absolute best to argue that my father shouldn't provide it because he'd be making me weak. At the same time I had nothing but strict expectations placed on me for my behavior and educational achievements which prevented me from becoming a juvenile delinquent. The end result of this is I put myself through college, have a good job and own a home with no mortgage, and I did this after being thrown out at 18 with $100 to my name. I didn't have a choice, it made me very good at taking care of myself.
On the other hand, my mother had custody of my siblings and gave them whatever they wanted. They are all pushing 30 with no degree and live at home. My brother has never even had a job. The people who worry about their step kids futures on this forum are absolutely correct.

Having your own life is not considered evil step parenting. Its called viewing a marriage as a partnership in which you share you life with someone instead of giving it to them thus losing yourself in the process. Its a good strategy to ensure everyone's happiness. I will add it to my list.

moeilijk's picture

Sometimes I think people say, "You should see a therapist!" because they are busy trying to make everything 'normal' and some people or experiences just won't fit.

Therapists can and do help, but they aren't a magic solution. Reading relevant articles and books, talking about and gaining insight into different perspectives, even just reading here can help a great deal.

One important thing that I'm still learning is that history is not doomed to repeat itself. I am afraid that my kid is going to be hurt by me - by something I say or do, by something I fail to say or do. I know that this is disordered thinking. On the one hand, of course I'm not going to be a perfect parent... and that's ok. And on the other hand, you have to go a loooooong way away from perfect before you actually start damaging a child. That's not a risk for me.

In your shoes, it sounds to me like you assumed a lot of responsibility, most likely there was a lack of appropriate boundaries, and you felt responsible for the feelings and actions of adults around you. But you weren't. Because you were a kid and they were adults.

You felt better when they started confiding in you because trash talking an absent third party can make the two trash talkers feel close to each other. It was their version of bonding.

A drunk SM breaking things? Not a great memory, no matter how justified her mutterings.

What I do think would serve you well in becoming a stepmom, would be to work very hard with your fiance to make sure that you are a united team, and can give each other great support and communication. There are books out there, or parenting or marriage classes... lots of resources.

Solidshadow7's picture

I remember screaming exactly that at my parents.(Dad and stepmother) "I am a child!! How can I possibly be responsible for your inability to manage your own marriage?!?! You're honestly blaming a 12 year old because the two of you can't get along?" I believe she called me something involving spawn of satan in response. I don't think I was a bad stepkid. I never told her she wasn't my mother, I never told her I didn't have to listen to her, and I honestly never really said anything bad to her. (Although I did tell people at their wedding that I was worried about her alcoholism, my mother told me she was an alcoholic after smelling it on her breath when she came to pick me up one time. She really didn't like that, neither did my dad) I just wasn't very affectionate, not to her and not to my actual parents and this drove her crazy, she took it personally when it was just kind of the way I was, hugs always made me uncomfortable and I never told anyone I loved them unless I was forced to.

We have already figured out the united team thing. I just wish I had more tools at my disposal when the fireworks eventually start (if they are going to.)

Solidshadow7's picture

There's probably some merit to the daycare kids approach. I worked for a preschool and had absolutely no problem spending 8 hours a day with 20 children that weren't my own.

Solidshadow7's picture

Based on what other's have to say about cherrygirl, I am glad you're wrong. Although seriously though, aren't these message boards supposed to be a place to vent? She offered her advice which I asked for. I think everyone is being a little bit too overzealous in attacking her especially since she was just trying to help me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even when it is wrong.

Solidshadow7's picture

Superjew--

In regards to what you refer to as me trying to actively damage the child's BM--
I need to explain some history, this situation is more complicated than most.
My SO and I were best friends for a number of years, and then together for a number of years. We were young and found ourselves in a very difficult situation due to circumstances beyond our control. The relationship did not survive but we both loved each other and were still hoping we could find a way to work it out. We both made grievous errors in our handling of the relationship and we both saw other people. He was seeing BM making it clear he wanted nothing serious, and still trying to hopefully work it out with me. BM had zero respect for the fact that him and I weren't exactly done with each other yet. She also had my ex/SO in a bad place which gave her the ability to control him which she used. BM introduced and perpetuated some misinformation that eventually led to him breaking off all contact with me. (Which was her goal, she neutralized the threat, me.) After she essentially stole my boyfriend she then proceeded to send me threatening/vindictively gleeful text messages (that I never responded to) FOR YEARS. This woman had a very special type of crazy. She badmouthed me to every mutual friend my then ex and I had, which I mostly found amusing seeing as how we had never actually met or even spoken to each other. I found it more amusing that she continued to badmouth me (which I heard about third hand) even though I had been completely out of the picture for years. I am incapable of that type of hatred or ridiculousness and can't really understand it.
The child in question arose through what very likely appears to have been some type of intentional birth control sabotage to prevent my SO from leaving her or some other insane purpose. And it worked for a few years, his son is now 4. At least until she decided she preferred the guy she was cheating on him with and threw him out. Which eventually led to him and I talking and realizing just how much she had done to keep us apart when it wasn't really what either of us wanted. It also led to a lot of anger on both of our parts about how she really had no business mixing herself in between the two of us in the first place.
When he stupidly provided her his current address (my address) as he is legally required to, she discovered I owned the property and sent him a barrage of threatening text messages peppered with random insults about me that had no basis in reality. She sent similar messages to all mutual friends. She then proceeded to let him know she'd be filing a restraining order if he set foot on her property again and that he was never going to see or speak to his child again.
Needless to say, the two of them are now fighting it out in court, and people I don't know are driving by my house at random hours taking photographs.

I am not spiteful and it is very hard to make me angry. I try very hard to see the best in people and still try to defend her to him as best as I can because anger will do him (and me) no good. But like I said, this woman is a special kind of crazy, and I believe she will do absolutely everything in her power to make this as difficult for us as humanly possible. With that said, I need a plan for damage control because the damage is going to come. Past experience would indicate that her co-parenting peacefully once there is a court order in place is extremely unlikely.

This situation is unique in that its more similar to cases of marital infidelity when one party unluckily conceives then it is to simply dating a man who happens to have a child. I wasn't able to find much on this because this type of event typically destroys the marriage even if the affair does not. In the few cases I was able to find references to partnerships that survived this, it was handled in one of two ways: If the spouse is very badly hurt, the party with the child is forbidden from having any contact and complies because they want to save the marriage. Or method 2, used when the spouse is not that hurt, they do everything they can to push the child's BM out and raise it as their own. I find both methods to be heartless but am willing to consider anything I need to ensure my happiness because I have done nothing wrong in this situation and do not deserve to suffer for it.

You said it yourself, each situation is unique and not everything will work for everyone. If BM wishes to grow up and behave, I will bear her no ill will and will do the best I can to make this workable for her and my SO. However should she do anything to make this more difficult than it has to be,(and she is already on the warpath) I am not sure how much guilt I would feel if I had to completely undermine her as the mother or actively sabotage her life, or find some other off the wall method for co parenting to prevent her from causing us any more misery.

Solidshadow7's picture

There was no infidelity on either his part or mine at any point. He and I were not together when he started seeing her, in fact I was seeing someone else (not serious). We just occasionally talked and wished things were different. Once he was officially with her he never came near me nor I him.
And him and I started talking again nearly a year after the two of them broke up.

I may have not explained it clearly if you are raising commitment issues. I left him the first time. She also left him. Her baby daddy has never cheated on anyone on his life. Neither have I for that matter. She on the other hand cheated on him repeatedly, he recently found out and now wonders if maybe he's not even the kid's father.

I only said that I am willing to fight fire with fire if I have to, not that I plan to ruin her life. I just don't think this woman is going to live and let live so I'd like to have a plan in case she doesn't. This is self defense.

Thumper's picture

I am going to ask you this question, OK?

Why do you think YOUR life will be any different than your dads, since you saw first hand the effects?

The best answer to your question IS this:

DONT get involved with a man/women who has kids period. Certainly there must be unmarried people in your community without kids.

Please start a new legacy in your family and avoid this at all costs, otherwise

You are trying to put a round log into a tiny square hole.

Solidshadow7's picture

For the same reason nobody else on this forum is doing just that Goodluck.

We can't necessarily help who we love.

You're also insinuating that everyone with a child who finds themselves single should be alone and miserable for the good of those of us who don't have kids. I watched my mom do that and its totally ridiculous and completely tragic. People just need to find saner ways of doing things, I think social attitudes need to change. It shouldn't matter who the bio parents are, it takes a village.

We're all in this life together, and we all have an obligation to do the best we can with the cards we are dealt. People don't stop being human just because they had a kid and the other parent left. And it is just a child. We as adults are not supposed to be thrown into a fit of rage every time it doesn't do exactly what we want it to, we were all children once too, and some of us stepchildren. Why are we as a adults allowing these children to make our lives completely miserable? They shouldn't have that power, they are only children.
Clearly there is a problem here. I suspect it lies in our point of view, or the points of view of their bio parents.

Solidshadow7's picture

You're not a very happy person, are you? Why are you so negative? Is life that bad?

ESMOD's picture

All you can do is try to see what works for you. Every family is different. My OSD was the non affectionate type. My YSD was much easier in many ways. Of course, it's weird because now that they are both out of the house it's the YSD that drives me nuts more..lol. Really just because I am more involved in her life and want to help her and as a young adult, she wants to be independent... which means making mistakes that we wish we could save her from.

Your So should be the main parent in the home. You support him. It sounds like your dad maybe leaned on your SM a bit much? Maybe she was financially helping to support you too and THAT stuck in her craw? As a SM, it is often a thankless job. You extend yourself for children that aren't yours. Kids are notoriously self centered which means they have NO IDEA how their actions impact others. Your SM was probably really mad at your father for not being your parent.

Trying to understand that kids aren't mature mental beings and cutting them slack helps.

However, if the EX is as toxic as you say, I would probably bail. Yeah, you can't help who you fall for, but there are other fish in the sea without gill slime.

ESMOD's picture

i do believe I am wittier when I am drinking...haha. Normally I post during non-drinking hours.