You are here

Vacation when they ALL live with you!

ItAlmostWorked's picture

My SK no longer live with is, one has her own apartment and is doing wonderfully, the other has decided she is not coming home from college anymore because she is so "uncomfortable" here. We all lived together for 7 years and I was "uncomfortable" for most of those 7. Too bad I never had anywhere to escape to. Looking back, I never should have tolerated how things were but that is beside the point of this post.

The couple times we managed to go on family vacations, DH barely helped at all with the planning. It was all left up to me and keep in mind, YSD disapproves of everything about me. So I was in the enviable position of planning a vacation,and spending thousands of dollars just to listen to YSD show her disapproval with the accommodations. Sadly she would often get my BD on her bandwagon. It was like I was their paid entertainment director who should have been fired, without the pay and without being able to leave because I was fired. DH just happily sat in the middle, appeasing and cajoling YSD while she made the rest if us "uncomfortable".

I will never go on another vacation with her. If DH feels bad about that, he can stay home. The me of 7 years ago would never have said all these things. 7 years of YSD being allowed to look down her nose in disdain finally resulted in me standing up for myself and refusing to have a miserable life. I am so glad she decided it is too awful here to come back, now that I am over my feelings being hurt because I tried so hard for so long. It is liberating not to care what she thinks. When I first found step talk, I was still mourning the family that almost was. Now I will never risk my own emotional, physical and mental health again to someone who'd just as soon squash me like a bug. How did I not see this for so long???

There should be a mandatory stepmom course before remarrying to help teach us how to care for ourselves in a hostile environment. I have ended up with a stress induced medical problem that I only hope will improve with new self care measures in place.

So book your own vacations, fellow stepmoms! Book them when skids are otherwise occupied so you don't end up like me in 7 years. I've wasted a lot of time, stress and tears over a situation that never would have worked out because YSD had her own agenda all along.

witsend71's picture

Great advice about the vk ! If DH won't go...find a friend to go with. You need to rejuvenate or you'll end up stressed and in a p*** poor mood all the time. I may not enjoy fishing and hunting... But twice yearly shopping and Sunning sounds good to me. Who's in?

Orange County Ca's picture

There should be no such thing as a step parent. You can't remarry until your kids are out of the home. Date - trysts - drunken orgies when the kids are away no problem. But no sharing/living in the same home with someone elses kids.

That's how it would be if I were dictator.