You are here

Step son acting out sexually against step brother and half sister

green_gummy_bear's picture

Ok, so let me start with a little background. My step son was four when my husband and I got together, and my son was 15 months old. It was a rough start but everything seemed to work for us. It was almost a year after being together that we bought a house and moved in together. My step son started pre school about six months later, and about the same time we started taking him 50% of the time. Everything seemed perfect for about three weeks. Then we started noticing that my step son was wetting his pants. He then started to act out by peeing in my sons toy box, on his bed, wadding up blankets and wetting on them. He became physically violent with his step brother who was two years old at the time. So we went back to the old schedule thinking that he was having a hard time with all of the changes. The behaviors continued, so we decided to take him to counseling.

During counseling we discovered that he was showing signs of a child that was being sexually abused. The counselor showed us pictures that he had drawn. At five years old he was drawing very detailed pictures of male and female gentiles. The male genitals were erect with pubic hair and the female gentiles had pubic hair. After talking with some of her colleges the counselor felt that she needed to report it to DHS.
When my husband told his parents about what was going on in counseling and that DHS was reported, my in laws became very unsupportive and told my husband that nothing was happening. My husband was very upset by their reaction and felt that he had no support from his family.

DHS decided that there was not enough evidence and decided not to do an investigation. Then after about three weeks my step son shut down in counseling. I was costing us almost $200 a month and the counselor felt that there was nothing else she could do at that time, so we stopped taking him. Everything seemed to be somewhat normal for almost a year. Then one day while my son who was three at the time and my step son who was six were playing, I heard my step son tell my son to pull down his pants. I walked into the room and told them that games like that were not ok to play and talked to them about keeping their private areas private. I told my husband what happened and we decided it would be better to go to the park where we could keep an eye on what they were doing. About 15 min into playing we heard my step son tell my son who was in the tunnel slide to pull down his pants and not to tell anyone. We went straight home and my step son was not allowed to play for the rest of the night.

My husband called his ex to tell her what happened, and she blew him off. She told him that it was normal kid stuff and hung up on him. My husband decided that with what the counselor told him and what had just happened, that it would be a good idea to call DHS. We thought that maybe now they would feel like they could do something. We were told that because my step son was not saying that he had been abused by anyone else, and that he was not old enough to get in trouble for touching other kids, that they couldn’t do anything.

We had a daughter together when my step son was almost six years old. During all of the stuff that was going on we didn’t have to worry about her because she wasn’t crawling or anything, so she was never out of our sight. After the park incident we decided that the boys would have to play in whatever room we were in so we could keep an eye on them. Everything seemed to be going fine until one day my step son who was now seven and my son who was now four in the face. My son started crying and would not tell us what had happened. After my step son left my son told me that my step son whispered that he wanted my son to take off the costume he was wearing so that he could touch his genitals. When my son told him that he was going to tell, my step son hit him. My husband confronted my step son about the incident but everything was denied.

About a week after that my husband was out in the front yard with all three kids. He turned around to grab the hose and when he turned back around he found my step son with his hands on my one and a half year olds crotch. My husband took my step son inside and confronted him. He confessed to touching my daughters genitals one other time when I was in the shower and my husband was supposed to be watching the kids. He also confessed to touching the half siblings at his mothers house who were two and one. My husband took my step son back to his moms and told her what was said and what happened. She said that she had asked her two year old if her brother has ever touched her and the little girl said no. She supposedly asked the little girl long before this happened at our house. She still denies that anything ever happened and that my step son was confused when he confessed to my husband.

My husband no longer brings my step son to our house and only spends time with him at the park or movies. This whole situation has put a huge strain on our marriage. I don’t know if I can ever forgive him for letting that happen to our daughter. We are now getting a lot of back lash from his family about how we are treating my step son. I’m sorry that this post seems to be all over the place. I’m trying to type with a toddler in my lap.

Orange County Ca's picture

So this kid has seen naked adults somewhere. Your husbands parents, his mothers parents, his mother and husband/boyfriend or you two which seems unlikely or you wouldn't be here.

Since all the authorities have refused to help I don't see any other options except to warn the school authorities so they can keep an eye on him while he's at school. It's obvious this isn't going to go away and to leave them ignorant and allow others to be harmed is almost criminal in and of itself.

The reality is you can't let this kid out of sight and further reality is that it is impossible as he uses even a few seconds inattention to his advantate. It seems that although he may be doing other things sex is always in the back of his mind.

Personally I think the kid is being continually abused somewhere even now. He is the one that should be in counseling. I would badger the authorities for help both in finding out how he's being misused and for community funded help.

xtina's picture

What a nightmare. This is the most heartbreaking thing I have ever heard. You are right not letting that kid come over anymore- you have to protect your children. This little boy is getting this from somewhere; he is obviously being abused. Have you tried actually calling the police? Since it's not happening at your house, they need to investigate his BMs house and any other possibilities. This is sickening and I am so sorry for you!
Also, don't blame your husband for what happened. You both need each other right now. The blame should be on partially the little boy (who at 7 know's what he is doing) and whomever is abusing him.
This is horrible! Please please keep us updated!

Thank you for your comments. I really needed to hear from other people that we are doing the right thing. My husbands family thinks that we should not ban step son from our house. Of course we won't be letting him around our other children. It's very hard though because we live in a small town and my husbands family is very large. I can't go anywhere without running into them, and they treat me like the plague. They have pretty much stopped talking to my husband and I, and don't want anything to do with my bio son and daughter. They only want my step son and have all the access they want to him. I agree that there is probably something going on when he is at his mothers house. When we had that thing happen at the park we called the counselor to make another appointment, but she informed up that my husbands ex had called a week before that and told her that she could no longer see my step son. Very weird because we had not taken him to her in almost a year, and the park thing happened after that. We live in a very small town and the police will not get involved.

xtina's picture

Wow it sounds like you're trapped! BM seems very shady... maybe it's a boyfriend of hers and she is protecting him?
Someone needs to get involved here sweetheart. Something very bad will happen if nothing comes of it. Call the police and get an opinion. Call Child Protective Services. Hound them until something is done. Take the kid to another counselor. Eventually the kid will talk and admit to who is doing this to him.

We do feel trapped. We talked about taking him to another counselor, and even had it court ordered. The one that we were taking him to was the best in our area, and we were driving to another town to see her. My step son now says that he does not want to see a counselor. His mom home schools him, so she has a lot of influence over him. We have called DHS again with no results. The police around here don't even go to domestic abuse calls anymore, and wont get involved because he is only seven. His mother has been with the same guy for four years now, and we don't really know him that well.

stepmonster_2011's picture

The child is only 7. He does NOT get a say in whether or not he sees a counselor. Period. As the ADULTS - you and your DH have to keep taking him. If he won't talk to this one? find another. Keep searching for one that has sex abuse experience. Keep searching for one that will get the child to open up about it.

And I call bullshit on the "police won't get involved because he's only 7" THAT is the very reason the police DO get involved. A child of 7 cannot (and should not be expected) to protect themselves from abuse. Plain and simple.

Call DHS AGAIN. Call every single day. Until you get someone that will listen. BE the PEST.

That child needs help! if he's been abused or just exposed to adult sexuality - he's acting inappropriately. He may even have other mental issues that is causing him to fixate on the sexual acts.

BE ADULTS. Who cares what your DH's family think. GET the child help.

Also - ask the school to help with reporting. At 7 he should be in school, and has probably shown some of his behaviors there as well.

stepmonster_2011's picture

Sorry - just re-read that Mom is home schooling him.

I am worried for this boy. Something is just not right here.

Right?! He did two years of kindergarten because he was struggling. We talked to his teacher about his behavior when we had that incident at the park. We asked that he is not left unattended around the other children. His teacher had not noticed anything other than him struggling with his work. I'm not sure how well his class was supervised though. He was still not doing well after the second year of kindergarten and the teacher told us that she would have him evaluated for learning disabilities. We filled out the paperwork for it and everything but then never heard back. This last years test scores for that school were very low and a note was sent home, so his bio mom decided to homeschool him.

Queeny's picture

Your child is old enough to provide a statement to a child advocacy center as to any abuse he has received. You just need to make a police report and ask to have a forensic interview of your child. Don't coach your son but tell him he will be talking about what your ss has said and done to him. This MIGHT mean that your ss will be labeled an offender of sexual abuse AND it will get him the proper help he needs to not offend on other children. Going to a child advocacy center will allow you to have access to resources through the state...especially if your son provides a statement. Good luck!

We have talked about just taking him to counseling regardless of how he feels. There is no one other than the lady that we had before who specializes in kids. We would have to travel more than an hour and a half away, which we will do. We just need to call around and find someone who takes our insurance. I'm really hoping that he won't just shut down in therapy again. He really liked the lady that he was seeing before too. I'm feeling like this is something that will only get worse over time and I'm feeling a little depressed that this is our life now. I don't ever see a day where I can have him around our other children. When my husband asked him why he was touching my daughter he just said it was because he wanted to. I just can't understand how all of this happened. We do want to get to the bottom of this and find out what is really going on. All we need is for him to say something. Sorry, I'm kind of rambling. Writing all of this out has kind of re-opened the wounds.

stepmomto3bioto1's picture

Boy do I feel for you & your DH. Sadly I've kinda been there too. My ex husbands niece was molested by her grandfather who is now in prison for it. That poor little girl found the courage to come forth & told her mom what was going on. Usually the perp will tell the kids that he will hurt or kill them or their parents- then these poor little kids suffer alone with it-- for fear of their loved ones being hurt. It's so sick & twisted. The girls parents told all of us in the family that she was going to weekly counseling & that she was making big strides. We all went on with life & we all were there for them & her every step of the way.

The following year, we had the whole family over for Christmas. Everything went well. The house was chaotic & i was busy playing hostess. We exchanged gifts & everyone had a good time. The little girl got one of those gift sets, like Build A Bear that year, from her Grandma. Well, after everyone left, my then little 3 yr old girl, went in the restroom & then yelled for me to come in. I could tell something was way wrong. The little girl, who had been molested- had stuffing up in my daughters privates ( build a bear kit). I was floored & shocked. They were with everyone the whole time- but my little girl told the dr that her cousin told her they were playing a game--- my point is--- it only took just a minute or two for something to happen. It's a harsh reality.

Do I blame the little girl? No. No I don't. She was a little girl who endured already a year of horrific molestation. I blame the parents however. As it came to light that they were too bothered by the $20 copayment for the little girls therapy!!!!!! It put a HUGE wedge in the family. The dr we called that night told us to meet her at her office. My little girl could've got an infection It was awful & of course the dr had to report it. It at least FORCED them to get that little girl the help she needed!!! Luckily my daughter has no memory of that time frame- but- we did take her to therapy for awhile. We wanted to do all we could do for her. We probably are more vigilant then most parents are about talking to her about her privates are just that- her privates & that if anyone touched her- we want her to tell us immediately about it!!!

My point is this OP--- please ensure the safety of your kids in your home!!! It only takes ONE time!! I fear that his boy has been molested or is still being molested at BMs home or on her watch!!! Call around. Talk to children's services. Ask if they have art therapy or puppet therapy. Usually they can do a sliding scale to help with the costs. That poor kid is only acting out what he saw or what he's been thru!!!!

& lastly- SCREW his family!!! Sadly these ppl will probably only believe it when another innocent child gets molested. Stand your ground & keep the kids separated!!!