You are here

My husband doesn't support me

Gemax's picture

Im new to this forum but have joined as I have no one to talk to about my marriage. I am a step mother to 2 stepdaughters, 15 & 18yrs old and I have a 3yr old daughter with my husband. The troubles in our marriage are not due to my step daughters, rather my husbands complete lack of support and understanding. I have searched many forums looking for advice on this particular topic but can't find any that relate to the father of the step children and their lack of support. I'll start by giving you background. We have been together for 5yrs, married for 3. When I met him, he shared the custody of the children with his ex wife, they came over to his every time he was off work. I got on with the children and to be honest, that has never been an issue. I still do get on with them very well and think myself lucky I do have a good relationship. After 6 months into our relationship, we moved in together. About 2 weeks later his ex wife basically threw her children out and they came to live with us full time. The reason for this was nothing to do with the children or their behaviour. From then on, I was basically a full time working mother. I took his children to and from school which was a 20 mile round trip each way, I cooked, cleaned and financially contributed to everything. The problem was that my husband never made it easy for me, he never considered that I would need his support. He wouldn't ask the kids to do any chores or help out. He wouldn't tell them off for bad behaviour. I understand he was trying to make up for his ex wife's behaviour but it was causing us problems as when I asked him to change or to do certain things to make life easy for me, he'd just respond by saying things like " you knew I had kids" or "just leave if not happy". This just wasn't giving me any support and made me feel totally alone. I could list about a million examples of when I have been made to feel unsupported. Once we went camping and I was about 4months pregnant. I was putting the tent up whilst his 14yr old daughter sat in the car watching. I asked him to get her to help but he refused and it caused a row. Another time I told off his then 11yr old for being on her phone at midnight before school the next day..she went mad and shouted all the usual things at me like I hate you, your not my mother etc etc and ripped up photos of me. She then rang her mother who swiftly came and took her away. I was really upset about the matter but more angry at my husband texting his daughter the next morning asking her to come home and that he misses her. This made me feel like he was just condoling her behaviour and again, didn't support me. These issues are still happening today, even though we now have a child of our own. it's almost like I just have to accept everything and if I don't agree or like something I'm told "if you don't like it leave". I have done so much for my husband and have been so supportive of him but I feel completely alone and without any support back from him. I have tried numerous times to tell him this but he just responds that he does support me. I would appreciate any advice as I'm starting to feel like I just want to leave the marriage

Gemax's picture

Thanks for the advice. I'm just frightened that if I take a step back from all of this the relationship will completely fall apart as I'm the only one who tries to make us a family, not him. I'm totally disengaged now and just want to be on my own when the kids come round. has anyone else had this problem and if so how did it end?