You are here

My girlfriends daughter is making our relationship unbearable

Wm6348's picture

Hi everyone. I'm new on here and I'm glad I found those forum as this situation is really getting me frustrated and upset. 
Ive been seeing my girlfriend for over a year now and I know she would like us to live together. We both have children. She has 2 who live with her and I also have 2 who live with my ex wife. My issue is with her daughter. She is 10 years old. Her biological father has never seen her of made contact with her since she was 10 months old. My girlfriend has worked hard to raise her and provide for her and her brother and has done an incredible job. Her daughter however is terribly rude to her. She is demanding and very arrogant towards her mother. She says horrible things like calling her a bitch if she doesn't get what she wants. My girlfriend does try to correct her daughters behaviour but I feel it is not very effective. The girl will throw a massive tantrum if she doesn't get her own way. Another thing I've noticed is, when other people are around, she will talk over them as if to draw the attention back onto her. I've also noticed that she can be very bossy and rude to other children when they've been at her house. 
I feel I can't say anything for sake of damaging our relationship but then I wouldn't tolerate this kind of behaviour from my own children. It's making me very uncomfortable when I'm there and when she comes into the room it's putting me at unease. I've on one occasion made an excuse and left. I felt awful for doing that but I couldn't sit there and accept her behaviour. 
My girlfriend has suggested we go on holiday together with her kids and mine but I don't want my children to be exposed to her daughters explosive and rude behaviour. Nor do I want to be spending an entire week witnessing her mother being treated like this. 
I may have answered my own question there but I'd be happy to hear any words of advice from anyone. Thanks in advance. 

Winterglow's picture

The problem isn't the daughter, y'know. The problem is your gf and she didn't do an incredible job of raising her kids if she allows one of them to rule the roost at age 10. Have you ever tried to discuss your discomfort around her daughter with her? Why does she let a child walk all over her? Particularly when the other bio-parent isn't in the picture.

Kes's picture

I'm afraid Winterglow is right - your girlfriend has seriously fallen down on part of her job of parenting if she has allowed her daughter to grow into a vile little overbearing dictator, whom others don't want to be near.   In your position I would suggest that your girlfriend attends some parenting classes, or maybe some Zoom lessons in parenting, or at least reads some books or watches some episodes of Supernanny or similar.   For yourself, I would strongly urge you not to move in with her unless this changes, as I can't imagine you will be able to put up with this for very long.  Keep your own place, but don't keep silent about the changes you would need to see in the status quo, and don't accept any rudeness towards yourself from the 10 yr old.  You are absolutely right in not wanting to expose your own children to this monster your girlfriend has singlehandedly created. 

Wm6348's picture

Thanks for your views. I have on a couple of occasions mentioned that I'm unhappy about her behaviour but my girlfriend plays it down and makes excuses for her daughters behaviour "she's tired" or "she's had a hard day".  I know it's not really my problem but feel if she continues to behave like this into her adult life she'll end up with serious issues. As for my girlfriend, I do see that she needs to be firmer with her. Is it reasonable for me to suggest so?

Kes's picture

Yes, absolutely it is reasonable.  Excuses such as the ones you mention are no excuse for the kinds of behaviours you describe. As you say, she will turn into an objectionable, unemployable adult if nothing is done.  

tog redux's picture

I'm with the others - it sounds like your GF did the opposite of an incredible job raising her kids. OK, maybe she did it alone, but lots of single moms do a much better job than this. Her poor parenting is the reason this girl behaves this way. You already know that, because you've said you wouldn't allow your kids to behave that way.

Yes, you need to be honest with her and see if she's willing to make changes.

lieutenant_dad's picture

Being honest with your GF has three possible conclusions: she changes her parenting for the better, which helps your relationship; she does nothing, which continues to damage your relationship; or one of you ends the relationship based on the outcome of that honesty. But, you have a 1/3rd shot of her making a change.

If you aren't honest, while it's possible that she'll spontaneously see things going poorly and change her parenting, that is unlikely to happen. The predictable outcomes are things stay the same and you stay, or things stay the same and you leave. Either way, not talking honestly about the situation offers almost zero hope that things get better and likely only prolongs the inevitable, which is the end of the relationship (since it doesn't appear that you're interested in moving beyond where you're at in this relationship).

When you have the ability to be honest, be honest. You don't have to be brutal. Even if the relationship ends, be honest as to why. It may not click with you, but hopefully it will click at some point that she needs to parent her daughter better if she wants an adult relationship.

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

The two biggest mistakes I made in my relationship where going in vacation with SOs unruly children, I still have PTSD from the experience, an letting them move in. Right now we are one argument away from me kicking them out. If you really like this girl keep yours and hers separate and do not try to blend your families.

SKIDSarekillingme2's picture

I'm currently married to a person who is permissive and allows his kids to treat him badly (and occasionally me).  I'm not going to sugar coat this it's awful and I'm so tired of living with it I'm considering an exit stategy.  Here is what I would look for in the conversation.  Does you GF understand and recognize the bad behavior or does she downplay it and say it's not bad?  I think it's a very important distinction becasue if she doesn't see this as bad behavior it can never change.  So run for the hills and don't subject your children to hers.  If she does recognize it and additionally tells you she's parenting out of guilt (probably becasue her childs father was not involved) I think you have hope.  However; I would really look for change and additionally I would ask if you are expected to deal with the bad behavior or if you are empowered to correct it if it is directed at you or your children.  Those are important aspects of this problem.  This is definatley a red flag and I would want to see change before I agreed to a vacation or any other contact with your kids.  Good luck to you I hope it works out!

simifan's picture

One of the hardest jobs as a parent is to shape their kid into someone likeable. Without this skill, the child will have a very difficult life, especially in adulthood. 

Chelseybychelsey's picture

Time to cut the girlfriend loose.

It won't get better and you said yourself that you  don't want to expose your kids to that.

relationshipguru's picture

Your GF didn't do a great job of raising her daughter. If she did she wouldn't act this way.

Merry's picture

My sister's kids thought they were so funny by making fun of their mother, calling her stupid, talking back, throwing fits if they didn't get their way.  It flabbergasted me that my sister allowed it. My own daughter, after visiting with her cousins, came home and started down that same path with me. Once. I was a single mom by then, and my sister was married, and her husband (the kids' father) never intervened. I don't get it. Children of DIvorce do not get a pass on basic civility and respect, and children from intact families can be jerkwads too.

Two of my sisters kids turned into lovely people, but only after they were out on their own. They must have learned basic manners from others. One remained a total entitled jerk.

Now project this situation with your GF's daughter into the future. What will this child be as a teenager? Young adult? If you can't stand the mouthiness of a child, wait until she's a mouthy teenager with an even more colorful vocabulary. You've got to address it with your GF, and the best and most loving thing you can do is be honest with her. She needs to improve her parenting skills, and I hope she appreciates that you support her in that journey.

And if she won't face it and won't correct it, then you have to do what is healthy for you and your kids.

Wm6348's picture

Thanks everyone again for taking the time to read and reply to my post. It's very much appreciated. I would like to add that her son who is a few years older is a really quite the opposite of his young sister which confuses me more. His father still has regular contact with him so perhaps that's the difference. I've always encouraged my kids to be polite and respectful and to be mannerly. Which they are thankfully. There's been several times when my girlfriends daughter has demanded things like "get me a drink!"  or "get me my iPad" and I've said to her to say please. She does say please but in a very sarcastic way. Perhaps a loosing battle.   

Kes's picture

She has no business saying "get me" anything - at 10, she is old enough to get her own drink and her own iPAD.