You are here

My first post

DontCallMeStepmom16's picture

Joined this site yesterday. To say it is refreshing to see people are going through the same thing as I am, is an understatement.

I have SD15, SS12, SS9, and my own son 10 years (my son is with us 7 days a week. Does not know his father at all.) that live with me and my fiance. The mother of my "stepkids" has them about 11 days a month based on HER rotating work schedule. She left her family in 2010. I began a relationship with this beautiful man in 2011. Me and my son have been living here a few years now, and its nothing like I thought it would be.

It started out fine. But for the last 6 months, I have been in the worst mental state I have ever been in. I have been through and seen a lot in my 38 years of life. Never have I had to try and grasp ahold of my sanity like I am now.

I've heard of passive aggressive behavior before. But never had to live with it. The mother of the skids is very mean to them and are yelling at them 90% of the time. None of the kids ever want to go with her. I have never seen such lying/sneaky behavior that these kids exude. Their father is oblivious to their behavior because, let's face it, he's their father. I know that my son gets on my fiances nerves more than a little. I don't pick up on that behavior because, let's face it, I'm his mother. I NEVER though trying to be a blended family would be so hard.

I don't want to start complaining in this post about just why I utterly detest my step kids and the thing they do Every. Single. Day. that make it so hard to live with (but trust me I will in future posts). I know I am the only one responsible for my own feelings and if I'm unhappy about it, I need to either change what's going on or accept that that's just the way it is and deal with it. But being the HBIC in this household where I have 3 little people who are not playing on my team has and is slowly destroying the spirit if who I once was. Half of my "issues" that I am going through is the tremendous guilt I feel for feeling the way I do. I'm not a mean person. But my kindness had been mistaken for weakness in this household much too long and I have come to accept what I now must do which is Disengage.

I hope to hear all of your stories as well and hope we can help each other out in this thing called "Trying To Be A Blended Family."

Evil stepmonster's picture

Oh sweety, welcome. I was and am where you are. I hope this site helps you as much as it has me. I look forward to hearing about your adventures and weighing in. Wink

Grace Galloway's picture

The transitions are pure hell for everyone involved. It really takes a lot of effort and patience for the family to blend and mesh. Everyone has to participate in order for you all to evolve together and cohesively. Even time and effort may not help your situation but I do know one thing, feeling guilt over your emotions is pointless. I can relate. I have felt like I'm a horrible person because I disliked my skids very much. You have to let that go because you are normal, its normal to feel that way and you are not alone. Its simply not true either, your feelings do not define you as a human being. Hang in there, practice patience and communication with your fiancé and the children. Hopefully you and your fiancé can get on the same page.

ChiefGrownup's picture

Go ahead, post the stories. It'll do you good. You'll be surprised to find many have similar stories. Or you'll be awarded a tiara for Worst Skid. Either way, you'll get a laugh and relief and isn't that exactly what you need? So let it out!

blendedfamilynotforme's picture

:sick: I'm new here too. Thought yahoo chat still offered chat rooms. Looked there recently to see if I could find a chat room on blended family issues to vent in. However, they no longer do public chat rooms. Then, I found this form here that says you can vent about anything in the stepfamily/blended family category.
All I think about, everyday, is why in the heck did I ever break my cardinal rule about dating a divorced guy with kids? One date was all it took and I fell in love and engaged 3 months later and married one year later. That was then... now, all I think about, more like fantasize about, is imagining my husband has his own spaceship. I have my own too and he needs my help, in space. We are not married in space but our divorced, being captains of our own spaceships. Anyway, I feel great satisfaction, in my little fantasy that he needs my help. I then order my crew to blow his ship up and feel very peaceful that he has been blown up. I feel very free then and relieved of him and the chaos, unhappiness and frustration that has come with marrying him. It was not worth walking down the aisle for this. My advice to anyone single out there... DO NOT HOOK UP WITH SOMEONE ELSE WHO HAS OTHER KIDS. It is much better to marry someone else, no kids, and you both just have your own family of kids together. Blended families, half siblings, adopted kids will all be more of a source of unhappiness and stress. Real happiness is not taking care of other people's kids unless those other kids real parents are dead.
My husband and I had a child together, one year after we met. I focus on my own child as much as possible. My husband had another son from first marriage who is 10 and also adopted his stepdaughter from that first marriage. Before anyone thinks how great this makes him, know that this adoption would've only worked had husband never married again. Presently, she wants to live with her bio mom, wants a relationship with her real dad and husband just wants her to turn age 18 as soon as possible. He admits it was a mistake to adopt her now and it has been atleast 7 years that she has been adopted. The only person she is related to is her half brother, in our home, and it's awkward.
Stepson has stolen from me more than once, doesn't like my cooking, has acted ridiculous when my bio son would cry nonstop. I don't want my son close to the stepson at all and never leave my son alone with stepson, ever or his half sister. I have always supported both kids relationship with their mom, never speak a bad word about her in our home. I had both of her kids in my wedding, which was a huge mistake. That is a regret that I will have for the rest of my life. My husband used to have them buy me gifts for my bday and Christmas but it just felt awkward. I now tell him no more gifts from them on holidays and everyone feels better now. This Christmas, husband will have his gift exchange time with other kids, without me and my son. When they are done, me and my son will do our gift exchange without them. Everyday in this blended family has more components of unhappiness, concealing deceit in some fashion, making sure my computer is locked and passwords to things are hidden. Both kids are secretive and volunteer nothing of their time at their mother's. It's not a happy home and everyday, I wonder why was my husband the only man I had such strong feelings for to marry and have a child with? I suppose only God knows... these days, I hope for the rapture to happen as soon as possible and that my son and I are taken away. If that can't happen, I fantasize my little spaceship fantasy for comfort. We'll see if venting here helps. I hope. I'm really not sugarcoating anything and don't care to be criticized for what I have said here. In fact, I'm not sure anyone can say anything to help me feel better. All I want is my own family with the man I married and I will never have that. Sad