You are here

Just barely getting through this

may927's picture

This is the second time I’ve posted on this forum.  Thank you to everyone who posts on here- this has been my therapy since I discovered it a year or so ago.  Anyway...

A little background on my situation.  I’m 39 and I’ve been with my husband for 6 years, married for a little over 3.  He has 3 kids from a previous marriage- a 19 year old daughter who has moved out, 17 year old son who is hardly around, and a 14 year old daughter.  The custody arrangement is that they live with us every other week.  At this point, it’s mostly just his 14 year old that is with us.  

We’ve all been living together for 4 years.  The kids have been accepting and respectful of me from the start. I’ve been pretty hands off with them- respectful and kind, though not particularly involved in their lives.  They are all friendly, easy going, and pretty well adjusted kids.  They mostly do things when you ask them without complaining.   My husband is an amazing person and a great father- caring and involved but not too involved, appropriate boundaries- anyone d has always made me feel as important to him as they are, if not more so.  

I know compared to a lot of others, my situation does not sound bad.  However, I still feel such a struggle.  The only way I got through the first few years of having his 3 kids every other week in my home was because I was managing a bar and restaurant and worked at night.  When I was done work early, I would stay and have drinks with my co workers on the weeks we had his kids.  I had a flexible enough schedule that I could work more and later when we had them, and then take more time off on the weeks that I had my husband to myself.  

I just had my first (and most likely only) child 3 weeks ago.  I left my job a month ago and had slowly been decreasing my work hours and obviously was not drinking for the past nine months.  I’ve come to realize how much of a coping mechanism my job was for me.  It allowed me to avoid a lot of time when my stepkids were home.  I honestly can’t imagine how much harder it would’ve been when all 3 of them were around if I didn’t have a legitimate way to not be there.  I’m certain my marriage would have suffered a lot more.  

I kept saying to myself “when the oldest moves out things will be easier” or “when we live in a bigger house things will be easier” or “when I have a baby, it will be a deeper connection to his kids and things will be easier”.   The truth is, it’s not really easier except for the fact that 2 of them aren’t around much anymore.  At the end of the day, I don’t want to share my husband or my resources with his kids.    Although it’s mostly just his youngest who stays with us regularly, and we live in a bigger house and I have my baby that I’ve wanted for so long, I still don’t want her here.  I still don’t want to hear him speak lovingly to them, even though if he didn’t, I would think something was wrong with him.  I hate hearing her go through my fridge or take a shower in our bathroom, or when she just hangs out in the living room instead of her room.  I hate that she has to say i love you to my husband several times before she actually goes to bed or hangs up the phone with him.  

My husband knows I struggle with them but he does not know to what extent.  Often times I start to feel down on the Wednesday before they come (we switch off on Sundays).   I live in a cycle of dreading her coming 4 days before she gets here, and then counting the days down when she is here.  It’s been an exhausting cycle over the past four years.  It has left me with little energy for much else besides my job, and I feel that I’ve lost myself in ways.  I know I’ve allowed it to happen- I don’t blame anyone but myself.  

I’m so busy and taken with my newborn that I don’t have the energy to fret over her coming for the week this week, but I’m certainly not looking forward to it.  It’s hard to not feel like a shitty person; I have just been unsuccessful in embracing or bonding with his kids.  I mostly just resent them and wish they weren’t around.  I wish I could be like how some other people on this forum are who say they love their stepkids- i cannot imagine that.  They just feel like roommates that I don’t want.  

I feel that I’ve just been fortunate that these kids are as old as they are, and I was able to avoid time with them because of my job.  We have four more years left with his youngest, which I feel like I can get through since she gets more independent as she gets older and because of this new and profound love I am experiencing with my own baby.  

I’m not even sure why I’m choosing now to write all of this.  I think I’m just overwhelmed with emotion these days in general, and I’m just looking for someone who can relate.  Thanks everyone. 

Frustrated future SM's picture

I completely understand how you feel. I have an 8 month old and I pretty much only want to bond and spend time with her right now. She's amazing! She's my pride and joy. She smiles at me, loves being held and cuddled by me, we do so many activities together and it's so enjoyable watching her grow. She truly is the love of my life. I no longer have an interest in being around my BF's kids because they are disrespectful and just make me wish they weren't around. I do not enjoy them and am always happy when they're gone. Since we don't live together I can choose when, how often and how long I want to deal with his kids. Stinks though because I always want to be with BF but will disappear when they come around.

I do want to live with him in the future, but me not being okay with the kids using up resources is another reason why I have made the decision to stay living separately. I also don't want to have to clean up after them constantly and play Mary Poppins Everytime they visit. I'm hoping as my daughter gets older and bonds more with her siblings that it'll help me bond more with them, and once I start working full-time it'll ease my money concerns so I won't have to be upset about his kids coming over and eating up our food and running up other bills.

may927's picture

I can relate- the one hope that I still cling to is that once my baby is older and I can see he’s excited to see his siblings, it’ll make me feel less annoyed by them.  

I don’t regret anything, but I do think maybe I moved in a little too quickly.  I think I did myself a bit of a disservice by moving in with them so quickly.  I always think (my husband makes jokes about it too) that it would be amazing to have my own apartment that I had the option of staying at when the kids are around.  

Kes's picture

I felt the same as you when my stepdaughters were around regularly, I just did not want them there and resented the time that they took my husband away from me, and just their sheer presence in my house all the time.   You have a new baby, and regardless of whatever else is going on, this is a difficult time to come to terms with new routines, demands and a new role in life. 

I suggest you cut yourself some slack and don't be so hard on yourself for the way you feel.  We can't help our feelings, and it sounds as if you and your step kids have basically established a good enough way of relating to each other, which is great.  Everything's a bit tough when you have a new baby - I know that when I had mine I just wanted to be alone with my husband and my baby and didn't want anyone else around at all.  

Monkeysee's picture

I totally relate to this OP, you're absolutely not alone.  I'm due very shortly with my first and have really struggled with how I'm feeling towards my skids since being about 3-4 months pregnant.

I don't enjoy their company nearly as much as I used to, I find a lot of their quirks irritating, they aren't cute to me anymore, and I'm generally counting down the minutes until they go back to their mothers place when we have them.

Being a stepparent is really hard.  So many people place unrealistic & unreasonable expectations of how we should feel about our skids, or what's appropriate in managing our relationships with them.  Add in hormones on top of that & it can be a genuine recipe for disaster!

The way you're feeling is really normal, so be kind to yourself.  Hopefully you'll find a new coping mechanism to get through the daily life with your SD, and enjoy your time with your new baby as best you can!  There are plenty of us here who've been in your shoes, so you're in good company.

juststressedbeyondbelief's picture

I've seen this story so many times now. This is nature. This is the norm. It's not you being wrong for feeling this way. It's society attempting to tell you what's right and wrong. When it comes to step-parenting, they have no right to criticize you for feeling this way. Your feelings are extremely valid, and held by most step parents at some point, no matter how loud they scream, it's probably true in 99% of cases. 

Many people want to project perfection and balance to the world. Humans being are neither perfect nor balanced. 

Just remember, you are not wrong. Most of us feel this way, even though some might not admit it. Parent the way you see fit, barring broken laws. You only get one shot at raising your daughter, and she's only going to be a baby for so long.