You are here

I shouldn't find such pleasure in it...but I did...MIL is annoying DH and I just sit and giggle.

hangingbyathread6's picture

So as some of you may recall my SS14 had his phone taken away indefinitely back in the end of May. It's still not been returned to him (don't know if it ever will....but that's another story) so the only way to contact SS14 is through DH or myself.

Now I have long felt and believed with much opposition and defending by DH towards MIL that she is MUCH too involved in our lives, and with SS14. I understand kids are close to grandparents (I was and my bios are to my parents), and that MIL was the one who helped DH out for years with SSs at night while he worked. MIL does NOT appreciate that DH has a wife who takes care of him and the boys and her control over their lives is gone, which has caused issues with her feelings towards me. Well, MIL will call that boy (just SS14...not SS12...he doesn't count for some reason), numerous times a day. I mean NUMEROUS...like sometimes even before school, always within 10-20 mins of school being let out, at least once if not twice in the evening including right around 9:00 pm when she knows is bedtime. If SS14 doesn't answer, she will continue to call and call and call until he does. And if he still doesn't she will call DH and ask why SS isn't answering his phone (IDK lady...because he is 14 and doing things 14 yr old boys do...homework, hanging with friends, watching TV, practicing sports...maybe??) Now that it's summer vaca I have counted as many as 12-15 calls back and forth between MIL and SS12's phone (she's calling SS12 now in order to contact SS14, although I have put a stop to that...if SS14 is wanting to get calls, they need to go to his father's phone...SS14 lost his phone privileges, that doesn't mean he can now use his brother's phone as his own) which, I'm sorry...is excessive. She calls to see how SS14 is doing...what he's doing...is he in trouble?...is DH or evil SM being mean to you?...why haven't they let you do ______ or have _______ yet?...etc etc. And she confides her adult struggles to SS14...he is her GRANDCHILD....NOT HER FRIEND...and certainly not her son.

So since SS14 got back to our home on Sunday...MIL has called about 12 times (as of last night- Tues) to speak to SS. She called DH three times in a row yesterday afternoon during his golf league match...he ignored the first two and then decided on the third he should answer in case there was an emergency since she kept continuing to call. No emergency...she wanted to know what SS14 would like to eat when he came to visit her on SATURDAY...DH was irritated. DH comes home after golf...we are having dinner, phone goes off AGAIN. AGAIN it is MIL, she wants to talk to SS to ask about Saturday. DH tells her he is outside playing, I hear him say, "okay! I will go get him! Yes, he's outside, I'm on my way out to get him!". DH comes in and says to me, "My mother is driving me crazy (he used some colorful words in there though) with this calling!!". I had a hard time keeping the smile from creeping across my face, and simply said, "well maybe it's time you discuss with her the volume of phone calls to your 14 yr old son and that it isn't necessary and needs to decrease." and then I turned to finish loading the dishwasher, where I could grin and he wouldn't see me.

It may take a little more time yet, but I have a feeling he may just finally get the idea that there is something wrong with Grandma calling 12 times a day. If not, I'll continue to enjoy the fact that it irritates and inconveniences him because he won't stand up to his "mama". Smile

step off already's picture

My MIL drives me crazy as well. She has actually agreed to babysit our baby and backed out LAST MINUTE on more than one occasion due to her DRAMA - once I had actually spent an extra $100 on PinK Tickets for DH to come with me and the older kids and the other times we had rervations with friends out in the city.

I've called her on her BS a few times and now... for some reason, she only comes over when I'm not home.

Easylikesundaymornin's picture

Oh hanging I love how you wait patiently n then get to smile deviously !!! Pure satisfaction !!

I guess he is starting to get the picture. How are things going with your kids ???

hangingbyathread6's picture

She won't call my phone...WON'T. She will not call to speak to me period. If she speaks to me it is because she wants something from me, but she calls DH and he says "ask hanging..." and hands me the phone. It is absolutely absurd and ridiculous, her infiltration of my life and on my SS (which may also be a part of why he is such a screwed up kid...getting pulled in three directions...gma, BM and our house).

I have brought it up many times...MIL is one of the three main things DH and I argue about (skid, MIL, BM) and he gets VERY defensive. MIL is a master manipulator also, and been doing so to my DH since he was 17 and his father died unexpectedly. I could tell you stories about that woman! It would make you shake your head and think, WOW she is bat shit crazy!!! Seriously....sometimes it amazes even ME and I live with it!

I no longer say anything about MIL to DH unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary...like a MAJOR boundary crossing...and since I have somewhat disengaged and SS14 hasn't had his phone so his access to her is limited and DH has to experience the wackiness of the situation I haven't said much at all...because he is finally having to deal with her ridiculous behavior. ha ha ha.

Easy...thanks for asking about the kids...they are doing well. My daughters both got apologies from SS and in the last few days have actually engaged in conversation with him (which surprised me as I told them they could completely ignore him for as long as they wanted...forever if that is how they felt) and giggling and such...kinda nice...makes me feel badly as I still haven't gotten over it...nor forgiven him, but then again, I haven't gotten an apology either....but he has come up and hugged me occasionally the last few days...I just don't engage him unless he engages me first.

DH and I had to cancel counseling the last two weeks due to funeral arrangements and medical appts for BS7 but we will be going this week...we'll see how that goes Smile

Easylikesundaymornin's picture

Been thinking about your daughters and how things are in your house.

The MIL needs to go kick rocks ~ get a life lady.

Sorry about your loss ~ death sucks.

I wonder how your DH is taking everything in. I am guess he is understanding of the outside obstacles of his mommy dearest. She was around when he needed her ~ now all he needs is you.

I hope your upcoming therapy session goes better ~ maybe there is a light at the end of your tunnel.

Wishing you the best ~ Hanging Smile