You are here

Help. Need advice w stepson

Nikki87's picture

So my boyfriend and I have been together almost 5 years. I have a bio son (9yo) and we have always been great together. In April right at the beginning of COVID my BFs ex wife was put in prison and my BFs son (5yo) came to live w us. I'm struggling so bad. Please dont attack me, but tbh I just cant stand small children. I had one child and got a tubal because I just dont have patience for children. Since his son came to live w us I drink alcohol almost every night to deal w the stress. We were all fine and happy before but now our relationship has gone down hill so badly. His son is a bad kid. Very disrespectful, always gets in trouble at school, doesn't listen, and still poops his pants on purpose because he "doesn't want to stop playing". I stay at home w the kids because we really dont have ANYONE that will watch his son long term. My BF doesn't understand I need a break from time to time, and causes a big fuss when I ask can we send his son to his grandma's so I can have a breather. He says its "my job" and to get over it. But its driving me insane. I literally sometimes lay in bed just so i dont have to get up and see his kid. 

tog redux's picture

We won't attack you.  Are you able to get a job? Might want to start planning your exit. This guy refuses to parent his kid and then dumps him on you to watch all day? I know you might be stuck there until your own son can get back into school after the pandemic, but I'd start planning a way out.

(And find a therapist, you sound like you are very depressed).

ndc's picture

I think it's pretty risky to stay at home and depend on a boyfriend for support, especially when you're staying home to watch HIS kid.  I hope he's paying you so you can sock some money of your own away.  Unless you have another source of income or can transition easily into a job that will support you and your son, you're playing a dangerous game and limiting your options.

The fact that your boyfriend doesn't parent his kid and can't understand why you need a break is a huge red flag.

Nikki87's picture

I cant really leave because I dont have a car and if I left and didn't watch his kid he wouldn't let me come back home. I've put in apps but I need to make at least $16-$17 an hour to get a place in our area and a car.  I have experience but i left one job in a bad spot and cant seemed to get hired now. I wish I could go back to 2018 when I sold my car. But I didnt know his son was going to come stay w us. His mom was good for a long time then she flipped. Everything has changed so much 

SteppedOut's picture

Can your parents help you? Siblings? Friends?

You have to dig yourself out of this sooner rather than later. It will become more difficult to find a position the longer you are unemployed. 

Have you tried finding a work from home position? Do you have basic computer skills? Work from home positions are more readily available now. It may not be the $16-17/hour you want, but it would allow you to start saving. Even Walmart/Target/Kohls/whatever retail. They hire for holidays...even with covid. Even weekends. Under the guise of "extra holiday cash"... 

Perhaps try reaching out to women's shelters or organizations in your area that help low income families. They may be able to point you in the direction of organizations that could help you get back on your feet. 

Once you dig out, please please never put yourself in a position that you are not able to care for yourself and your child. 

Guiltriddenameteur's picture

I feel for you. The thought of having my SOs youngest 2 with us full time would fill me with dread. I have a young toddler and they are very boistrous and i dont trust them with her at all. They used to be awful but with putting discipline and routine in place they now respect me and OUR home. We have his eldest here permanently as he wants nothing to do with his mum but he's 14 and a typical teenager but respects me and we now get on really well (after a bumpy start). 

While it's not your responsibility to have to deal with it and your child and mental health should definitely come first, if you don't have a way out, perhaps you could try to find a way to bond with his kid and try and find out the reason behind his behaviour. I'm no expert but from experience, kids often follow example and if their mum is in prison he obvs hasn't had a great example set. His head is probably all over the place and While you don't like kids, try to think of him as a young person going through an extremely confusing hard time. He doesn't know what to do or where to put himself. His whole life has been turned upside down. 

Counselling is a great idea if only to be able to vent and perhaps find someone to help you find a way to "get on" with his child. 

I keep telling myself through all the shiz I put up with that I will reap the rewards later when they understand all that you have done for them. It's so hard and I do not envy you one bit. 

Ps I don't particularly like kids that age either! 

Rags's picture

That depends on the facts.  A child most certainly can be bad.  Fully determined by their behavioral choices.