You are here

Does your relationship with DH get better when the skids grow up and move out?

Jelly2's picture

Or has the damage been done in the marriage, chiefly due to skid issues(and DH failing to parent),so bad that even after the skids move out, you still resent your Dh?

weekendwidow's picture

The ONLY arguments DH and I ever have, deal with his kids SS17 and SD22. EOWEs were unbearable for me and my BS14 and BD17. The whole house was in an upheaval, the tension was palpable as my kids and I retreated to our own rooms for the duration of the weekend. NO ONE likes SS17. Then, DH set some boundaries like no driving while stoned or drunk and you have to pay for half of your car insurance. SS17 didn't like it and broke the rules. DH took the vehicle away (after a lot of arguing with me about it) and SS17 hasn't stepped foot in my house since. This was at the end of May.

I haven't seen or spoken to that snot in 6 months and it's been HEAVEN. DH and I have been acting like newly weds and my kids are peaceful again in their own home.

Once in a blue moon, a disagreement or an upset will arise. It's always about one of the skids. It's NEVER about anything else. EVER. Good riddance skids.

They aren't welcome in my home. DH honors this boundary. He will meet them at a restaurant w/o me to spend time with them. SS22 is married with her own home and has NEVER invited DH over there, btw.

My life is as skid free as it's going to get, I think...there's always hope...and my marriage is so much better w/o them.

Rags's picture

Ours has just gone from good to better now that we are into the empty nester phase of our blended family marriage. The Skid has been on his own for 4.5+ years. We miss him but are loving being able to do what we want and focus on our relationship and doing the things we want to do now that he is launched.