You are here

No bio kids, first time travelling with teenage stepson

SarahH's picture

Hoping for some advice please!

I’ve been in a relationship for awhile. I don’t have kids, my boyfriend has kids from a previous marriage. He’d had little to do with them (long story), then almost overnight we ended up with custody of his son who’s 15.

I’ve been struggling to get used to the fact that almost overnight my life course completely changed, but trying to be pragmatic and do my best to figure things out. 

Fast forward to now and we’ve been trying to plan a short holiday oversees. The frustration I’m having is that I’ve never travelled with kids before (his son will bring a friend with him) so don’t know what to expect in terms of understanding - is this gonna be a holiday (both my boyfriend and I really need downtime from work) or is it going to be highly stressful, running around after teens, having no space to ourselves etc etc.

I’ve struggled to talk to him about it cos I know his response will be that I’m overcomplicating it. But I feel like it’s perfectly reasonable for someone who hasn’t been in this situation before to want to figure out what this break away will look like? Today we tried to talk about it and it ended up in a massive argument - essentially because I feel like my anxieties aren’t being heard and at least considered. Equally he hasn’t asked what I would like to do on a break. Basically the locations been decided and he’s said what he wants to do. I made a suggestion about one thing I’d like to do while away and basically got told no, that’s not what he wants to do so that leaves me doing what everyone else wants to do while away.

Am I being unreasonable? I know this will be hard for him too, and I know he will be worried about making sure it’s ok for his son, but is it not ok for me to ask what this break will look like for us as a couple as well as individuals? Am I being unfair trying to set some boundaries around what would also make the trip ok for me?

This is all completely new to me so any advice welcome.

ndc's picture

Who is paying for the trip? I would not be all that willing to pay even my portion of a trip where my preferences were not considered and I was having a lot of anxiety because I couldn't figure out the expectations for the trip. Your desire to get an understanding of what this trip will be is completely reasonable. Do you think your boyfriend's failure to tell you what to expect is because he doesn't know himself?

I haven't gone on a vacation with teens, but I can tell you with certainty that any trip we took with my DH's kids (including those before we were married) was not relaxing in any way and was all about the kids. 

AlmostGone834's picture

Yes this has been my experience as well. I'd rather stay home than be cooped up in a hotel room or car with my SD.

SarahH's picture

I thought I'd replied but for some reason I can't see it so sorry if you get this twice! He's mentioned in passing a couple of times paying for the trip but I'd be more comfortable covering my share rather than feeling like I have no input because I didn't pay!

Rumplestiltskin's picture

It may be tolerable if you and your husband have a separate bedroom and bathroom from the teens and if your husband stops being an a-hole. It's good the son is bringing a friend. That takes a lot of pressure off  the adults. As long as your husband and stepson aren't major jerks (and i have my doubts based on how he's already not listening to you) it could be fun.

ETA depends a lot on the trip, though. Some places allow for teens to go off and do their own thing. The separate sleeping and bathing areas are also a must. 

ndc's picture

Wow,  I never even considered that there might not be separate bedrooms/bathrooms. Wild horses couldn't drag me on a trip where I'd be expected to share a room with two unrelated teen boys.  That is beyond unreasonable. 

CajunMom's picture

Your BF is being selfish not giving you a say or doing things you want to do. With that said, I've done a few trips with DHs kids. Add in I have my own kids so I'm aware of how it is to travel with kids at all stages. Every trip we took with DHs kids came with massive drama. After about 3 times, I was done and I've never traveled with them again. From the Passive Aggressive BS to out right blow up arguments do taint and / or ruin vacations. 

You don't say the dynamics between you and the kid, or if your DH has turned into a Disneyland dad but based on his treatment of you so far on this trip....I'd have to re-consider. And especially if you are contributing to this trip, no way would someone tell me I can't do something I want. 

SarahH's picture

Thank you, definitely helpful hearing from someone who's done the vacay thing before!

My relationship with the son is ok. I made the call pretty early on to disengage because despite not being a parent, I could see the signs early on that our approach to parenting wouldn't be the same and I also didn't want to make his son uncomfortable by trying to be a 'mum'. His son coming into our custody was also very sudden and a shock given I'd made the decision a long time ago to not have kids - I really struggled to process the change so tried to do what I thought would keep my own mental health ok. So I'd say my relationship with his son is much more of a flatmate situation - limited interaction but of course if he comes to me, or texts or calls needing something, I'll always make sure he's ok.

There's probably elements of Disney dad there and I can kind of understand why it's ended up that way. I try to just let it slide, with the exception that equally my own boundaries and needs need to also be respected and considered, which is way easier said than done. The thing is that everyone is trying to figure this out which to me means being able to have honest convos about thoughts and feelings (on all sides), but anytime  I'm honest about how something is making me feel it turns into a fight and like I'm in the wrong for not just being ok with everything.

JRI's picture

My 3 SKs moved in here unexpectedly, too, so I completely understand what you are going thru.  I think you have a good outlook about your situation.  And, you're realistic to be disengaged from your SS.

As far as vacations go, there should be another word for it when SKs go.  But you're wise to take a friend, that makes it easier.  Good luck!

Cover1W's picture

Been there with TWO SDs. Will reply tomorrow. You should be able to scroll through my blogs to read about my experience. Most depends on the skid relationship with the bio parent and you in daily life ...

notsurehowtodeal's picture

So you suggest one thing you want to do and SO won't do it? It sounds like your real problem is going on vacation with your SO, not going with his son. What kind of a vacation is this going to be for you if you have to do everything your SO and two teenage boys want to do? Doesn't sound like much of a vacation. Does he always demand things go only his way?

Winterglow's picture

Was his reaction to your questions typical of his behaviour? Does he often disregard your opinion? 

If it is, I would decline to participate in the trip. Tell him what a great opportunity it will be for him to get to know his son better and to bond with him.

If you do decide to go,stick to your guns about only paying for your share AND insist on the one thing you wanted to do be accommodated AND on being told all the details of the trip. Sharing a room with his son and friend would, of course, be a deal-breaker.

Elea's picture

Trips with teens end up being all about the teens or at least highly impacted by them. Unless you are dropping the teens off at a camp or something then maybe you'll get some time as a couple? 
I traveled out of country with La Diabla when she was around your SS age. She monopolized every moment she could with Daddeeeee even throwing a fit that daddeee wouldn't sleep in bed with her. Fortunately we dropped her off at camp for half the trip so I got a break from the little bratzilla. 
It is a rare 15 y/o that is tolerable. That is a hard age even if the kid is your bio.

One time DH took SD's overseas, I opted out and stayed home. Was it annoying that he took brats for such an expensive trip? Yes. But it is better than having to spend my vacation with brats. I went to visit family and had a great time by myself while they were away. Now that they are young adults the free trips have finally ended. Thank god. 

I wouldn't go if I were you. Let them have some "alone" time. 

Rumplestiltskin's picture

It does depend on the kid, though. When SO and I went on vacation last summer with our kids, my daughter brought a friend (both age 15) and SO had his kids, ages 25, 18, and 11. My daughter and her friend did their own thing and we hardly saw them. His 2 sons were not too bad. His daughter, the 25-year-old, was intolerable. She had wanted to bring her boyfriend, who she lives with, and SO wouldn't let her.

I think it may have been an intentional "punishment" from her, but the number of people required that SO rent a separate vehicle and she sat in front with him for the 4-hour trip. I followed with my daughter and her friend in my car. She demanded constant attention, dancing in her chair at restaurants, running around the table to take selfies with Daddy, stealing our phone chargers and using my daughter's medication because she forgot hers, and dressing so provocatively that we all saw her entire breasts and many saw her vagina. When we went on a shopping trip, she grabbed attention by running outside and sobbing on the curb due to some drama with her boyfriend at home. She needed her daddy to watch her on the beach due to a (questionable) health condition so i had to go up and feed all the other kids because 25-year-old Princess wanted to build a sand castle in her bikini and Daddy had to watch so she didn't get overheated. At 25. I think she wanted to rub it in our faces that he should have let her bring the boyfriend because prior to that trip, i thought she was a nice girl and well-adjusted. I think the trip revealed her vindictive side.

All that to say I'm convinced that many of our problems on this site are not due to there being a step relationship, but instead due to the fact that some involved are assholes. If you go on vacation with assholes, it's going to suck. 

Harry's picture

First you must have separate rooms.  I would not go on a trip with out my own room.  
I think it's fair that you get to get to decide what to do for atleast one day. 
Thaveling With kids. You normally try to do things kid oriented, amusement parks,  hip restaurants, fun activities. To give the kids a childhood memory,  keep them happy, normally BP get pleasure from haveing there kids happy, unfortunately this does not apply to SP.

floralsm's picture

I haven't travelled with teens but definitely with skids and my DH attention was definitely on them a lot. It was frustrating at times we couldn't have time to ourselves. If they wanted to head somewhere and I didn't feel like it, I was left on my own alot. This trip has red flags already. The fact your bf isn't listening to start with isn't a good sign at all. 

Cover1W's picture

Ok, finally I can respond.

I've been on local and trips to other states with the SDs. Trips for fun and trips to visit family. We've brought both of them overseas. Here's my advice, especially since you have never travelled with his kid before (!!)...even locally?

* Are you going somewhere YOU want to go as well?  If your BF unilaterally decided this trip you do not have to go!  Is the trip for he and his son?  It sounds like it if he's not letting you do things YOU want to do. When DH unilaterally decided to take SDs (then YSD13 and OSD15) on a 10 day trip with us to visit his family overseas, and after many arguments he would not back down I made it very very clear that there were "x" things I wanted to do no matter what and the SDs and he would not stop me. I wanted to go because I love his family and the area they live. I have chosen before to NOT go on trips with them. That is ok too.

* Are you paying for ANY of your BF/son's costs?  If so, NO. You cover your own costs. Your BF must pay for himself and his son. This includes entertainment and excursions...maybe not food, but yes, the majority of food too. I made it clear to DH that because I didn't agee to the SDs coming that I wouldn't pay for them (I ended up helping with some of YSDs costs because she was OK and ended up being a good traveller). I would help pay only to do things I offered to do or wanted to do with everyone. Otherwise it was on him.

* Are you going somewhere where you all can speak the language? How is his son with unusual situations and handling change/lack of sleep? Is he patient/impatient? How is he around strangers and crowds?  If he's not naturally social and inquisitive it will be more difficult in airports and traveling. Both SDs were overwhelmed and sometimes rude when traveling. The clingy behavior was at another level OR suddenly OSD would immediately want to leave somewhere and argue incessantly even if DH and I were not done. OSD had no curiosity about where she was and constantly complained. Neither SD bathed for almost a week until DH's siste said something to him.

* How is the kid with food and different kinds of food and eating in restauants/cafes/on the go with little food options? OMG - this was awful for us and I predicted it. OSD and YSD and extremely picky. I told DH that on top of him being the one to corral and decide on things/keep SDs in check (I would only step in if it was over-the-top needed), HE was the food person - HE had to decide on food options and feel the pain. And he did!  Oh he did.

* Do not share a room with them unless it's necessary. DH found rentals with 2 bedrooms and he paid for an extra hotel room for the SDs (across the hall from us) when needed. You will need space and sleep.  I also demanded 2 days alone for DH and I - doable because the SDs stayed with family. We got about 1.5 days and one night away at a lovely place with no teens. This will be almost impossible for you if you have no help. If the son and friend cannot be trusted in a hotel room by themselves that is also a sign they are not ready for this trip maturity wise.

Basically you have no responsibility for the kid. It's all on your BF. I would hesitate to go if I were you since you haven't travelled with him before. You need to take into account what kind of kid/teen he is. Does his son WANT to go? Is he exited? Is your BF involving him in the planning?  If you get to do nothing then do not go. In fact, I would be reconsidering my whole relationship. I would never tell my DH on a trip that he couldn't do something he wanted to!  We don't dictate.

Rags's picture

With his spawn and the spawn+1.

Keep it simple.

If SO gets cranky about it, tell him that next time he should speak with you and listen to you to make sure the agenda is set or he will not have any time with you on the next holiday either.