You are here

Wow - SS30 threatens to block my cell number!

dmtst's picture

Oldest SS30 sent me this text:  "If you won't comply to my request, my recourse will likely be to block your number in the future.  Need I remind you that contacting me is a privilege, not a right.  If you choose to abuse that privilege to my detriment despite my very reasonable request, I will take appropriate action".  His request was to not text him before 9:00am.  This text came to me after sending SS30 4 different unanswered texts over a weeks time - the first being at 10:53am, inviting him to a family BBQ for June 16th Father's Day, asking if he could make it that day. 

It's a bit shocking that a 30 year old man (single, no girlfriend since age 16) would threaten their stepmom with blocking the cell number, because he cannot manage to put his cell phone on do-not-disturb if he is sleeping.  He told his father I disrespected his sleep schedule. Hmmm, like I know what that is!  He previously told his father that he did not call him back because his phone is on silent and he doesn't always get the messages...what a crock of balony that is.  He just doesn't want to talk to his dad.  Only time he is around is if he is "getting" something, a birthday present, or Christmas presents.  Does not get his father birthday or Father's Day cards or gifts.  He surely expects presents from his father though, it's always a 1 way relationship with this SS30, he takes, never gives.  

Are we now to consider sending text messages to our skids a "privilege"?  Not a right? This felt to me like getting a middle finger from him. 

I am just not sure how to respond to his text.  DH texted SS30 to apologize to me, but he never would.  I feel like texting him back to get counseling...thoughts?  

DH asked SS30 recently to help spread some mulch in our small yard, he asked how much would he get paid.  So, I said I don't want his help if that's all he cares about. DH father at age 84 came over and helped/volunteered for free!  So we took him out to a very nice dinner to thank him!

SteppedOut's picture

I would NEVER send that skidult another message again. Zip. Forever. 

You do not need that kind of privilege.

ndc's picture

I simply would never contact SS30 again.  It sounds like he can't be bothered to respond to repeated requests for an answer anyway, so why bother texting to ask?  If your husband wants to contact the little asshole, let him.  You don't need that supreme privilege, so don't give him another thought.

sandye21's picture

"I can only wish you will take action!"

Cogito Ergo Sum's picture

“I have decided, to save you the inconvenience of taking the reasonable & appropriate action to block me in future, that I will not be contacting you from this point onwards. You have ensured that my only resource is to block you first, to ensure I am not tempted to enact my privilege & text you at a highly inappropriate time of the day, it was never my intention to disrespect your sleep schedule. For that, accept my apology, I mistakenly assumed that you were aware of the do not disturb function on your device.”

dmtst's picture

Yes, thinking the same kind of response you note above Cogito Ergo Sum - this will solve a lot, he won't be able to contact me, and he won't be invited to family events that I coordinate. Then I am DONE with that! Oh well...Thanks for your feedback!  It helps to know others understand where I am coming from and my thoughts are not off base.   

Cogito Ergo Sum's picture

I realise it's completely sarcastic - but I don't think I could take the moral high ground on this one! The other response I was tempted to post was just a swear word or two. Absolutely, leave him out of your events, I hope everyone else has a bunch of fun in his absence. I still can't get over the part about rights vs privilege. Wow. 

FuriousStepmum's picture

I would respond with a stack of *ROFL* *ROFL* *ROFL* and then block him.

Counselling is a waste of everyone's time and money - and the line he fed you about "disrespecting his sleep schedule" screams of a counsellor telling him to "set boundaries".

SacrificialLamb's picture

Well, there it is. Don't send this unappreciative SS another message. Let his father deal with his crappy son. If he doesn't want to deal with him, that is his choice. You stay out of it and stay away from the lunacy.

shellpell's picture

what a f@cking weirdo! Don’t text hmm again. Don’t do anything for him. Don’t invite him to ANYTHING. Don’t cook for him. Don’t buy him gifts. Wtf is that? A PRIVILEGE?!?! I can’t even....

Powerfamily's picture

I wouldn't even bother with a reply, just block and ignore.  Because let's face it he will block you today  but WHEN not IF his next request demand for you to give him something then he will unblock and text you again.

Britmum's picture

I think I would just have to send him a text message with a picture of you hysterically laughing at his pathetic message.

I would celebrate the day that the skids block my number, or even better delete mine and H's number

tog redux's picture

He sounds like an asshole, why would you want to text him ever, anyway. He’s not your kid, stop expecting anything from him. 

(I will say, I hate when people text early because I don’t put my phone on DND but early to me is 5 am, not 10:53)

hereiam's picture

Oh, no! Not blocked by asshole SS! Whatever will you do? How will you sleep at night? How will you go on? We're here for you.

I would tell him he need not bother, you have no intention of ever contacting him again.

I really don't know if I would respond or not. I like something along the lines of what Cogito Ergo Sum composed but I also like not giving people like that the time of day and would most likely just block him and never invite him to anything again. Letting people think they've gotten the last word, while mentally giving them the finger, is quite satisfying.

And when he tries contacting you (for whatever stupid nonsense he feels the need to spew) and finds out that he is blocked? Priceless.

Harry's picture

Happy Days.  If I never have to get a text or phone call from SS my life would just be better.  Let your DH deal with his kids. Just make sure it’s not your problem.  They will never like you. 

Ispofacto's picture

Please do not respond.  He wants a reaction.  Just block him and never contact him again.  It will drive him bonkers.

sandye21's picture

Did you tell DH about this?  If so, what was his reaction?  I know you posted this for all of us to get a big laugh.  What are you planning to do?  By the way, there IS a sight where you can copy a text version of an extended middle finger to send to him - at 7 am of course.

soccermom830's picture

What a dick!  I wouldn't respond at all and block him.  Sounds like the logical thing to do.  But maybe before I did I would say "Being in your father's life is a privilege - your loss - I will never bother you again."  Man, he sounds like a complete entitled douche.  I would just tell your DH it is up to him to contact him from now on. 

Rags's picture

Reply with an appropriately cutting but classy dissing response, and block him.  

Then watch him whine and squirm to daddy about big bad mean SM being mean to him.

And ... have fun!

smh... This SS is a dipshit of monumental proportions.

Enjoy purging him from your life.

2Tired4Drama's picture

Which would mean that when the time comes that a serious health issue presents itself to your DH, then SS should be informed now that you will STILL be complying with his wishes and will not bother him to advise of his father's condition.

Suggested text:

"As you wish.  Will immediately fulfill your request and will now sever contact with you.  This will include family gatherings.    Also be advised that in the future, should illness, accident or other serious matter affect your father, I will not communicate that event nor provide updates to you per your request.  Maintaining your relationship with your father is your responsibility.  Therefore, I do not want any further communciation from you as there is no need for it."  

sandye21's picture

Perfect!  And simple.  DH is 75 and has had heart operations, has chronic leukemia, high cholesterol.  If anything should happen to DH I will inform his relatives and ask them to relay the message to SD that she will have to contact me prior to 'visiting' my home.  Sounds cold, doesn't it, but I am simply returning the sentiments I've received for 28 years.  

It's been over 8 years since SD and I have had any contact.  She has moved a few times since then.  I assume if DH and SD wanted me to get in touch with her if something comes up I would have been given her number.

Every action or inaction has a consequence.  This is something many DH's and skids don't seem to comprehend while they are so busy being a 'team', undermining SM and turning her into a monster.  It's not our responsibility to 'enlighten' them or drum up compassion when we've never received any from them.  "Be careful of what you wish for."

Mountains's picture

I have not seen skids in 10 years...no interaction in many years, never any positive.  My DH is 86 and I am trying to figure out how to contact them if something happens to their dad.  SS will only share email...SD is a total basket case.  In any event, it is good to see what others in similar situations are thinking.  They are not allowed in the house which has been a huge issue for SD.  She doesn’t understand there are consequences to her rude behavior.  

lorlors's picture

I wouldn’t give him the satisfaction of a response; either now or until the end of time. I’d give him absolutely NOTHING from here on out. How bloody RUDE and he is 30 years of age! I am cringing for him!

Sandybeaches's picture

"Are we now to consider sending text messages to our skids a "privilege"?  Not a right?  

It is certainly not a privilege and do you really want that right??????? I don't really think so if you think it over!!! 

What a disrespectful immature person he is.  I agree with the others and would not give him the satisfaction of ever contacting him again!!!!  I believe your husband should ignore his request as well!!!

I don't know your story but I would not loose any sleep over such a disrespectful adult!!!