You are here

When bad SK situations get worse...

DazeyChain's picture

Hello, all! It's been a long time since I've posted in here, but I think it's time to stop lurking and start actively giving my support. Nearly 2 years ago, I was at my wit's end and ready to leave DH over YSD23's failure to launch as I was told would happen. I would have delayed getting married and moving here had I known that she was going to continue living here for several years, but DH assured me that she was off to university and would be moving out just a few months after I was scheduled to move. OSD25 was already out of the house (more on that later). Anyway, you all gave me some great advice about disengaging, and, although DH thought it was unkind to not cater to her, I found that it helped me keep things in perspective while I waited for the situation to change.

You see (and this next statement is key) I never, ever in my entire life wanted children. DH knows this and has known this since long before we ever got married. I just didn't have the biological, psychological, or sociological needs or desires to be a "mom". Admittedly, I'm rather selfish. I enjoy deciding what to do with my time and my money, and I like being able to come and go as I please without any regard to "littles". I believe that when one has a child, one's own wants must always take a back seat to the child's needs. That isn't a commitment I was ever willing to make; hence, no children. Perhaps you think this unkind or cruel, but I think it's just a matter of being self-aware and making appropriate decisions based on that self-awareness.

Anyway, YSD23 finally finished university but then decided that she didn't like her chosen profession, so we paid for another college degree. She liked that work, having performed an internship in her field during school, and having completed the second degree, she's presently gainfully employed full-time in her profession. Additionally, she has moved out of our home and lives with her SO who is a very nice young man. Things would be better now, except that now OSD25 steps in and makes a mess of everything.

Let me try to give you the short version. OSD25 was living in her own apartment. About 5 years ago, OSD and her partner (we'll call her 'Hagatha') decided that it would be a good idea for OSD25 to have a child, so they somehow managed to get OSD25 pregnant. Hagatha is a bit older than I am (yes, old enough to be OSD25's mother) and lives off the state. Neither OSD25 nor Hagatha had completed any education at that point, and Hagatha never even finished high school, GED, anything. She has grown children of her own who were taken away from her when they were younger, and the cyle of laziness, entitlement, and poverty continues in them. On numerous occasions, Hagatha told OSD25 that it was our job to provide money to them, because we have more money than they do, and OSD25 is DH's daughter after all. Keep in mind that OSD25 will be 26 this year, so these are adults we're talking about here.

Now DH and I have his money, my money, and our money, so I'm not normally interested in what he does with his money. However, he gave tons of it away to this sinking ship over the last 5 years, and all because OSD25's child needed things. During this time, OSD25 supposedly got funding in the form of a grant for school and allegedly learned a good trade, one that will pay a good wage once she gets established in a medical business. However, that will never happen, because (and this is where it gets fun, boys and girls!), as it turns out, OSD25 and Hagatha are both hard-core drug addicts. I won't get into what they do, but we're not talking an occasional joint or pill. We're talking John Belushi, River Phoenix, "Less than Zero" kinds of junk. Anyway, nearly a year ago, some medical issues landed OSD25 in the hospital which is where we found out about the drug abuse. The hospital reported it to Social Services, and they removed DH's GD4 from OSD25's home. Additionally, BM of OSD25 and YSD23, who had moved into OSD25's apartment when Hagatha moved out, found herself evicted from the place, because OSD25 hadn't paid rent in months. DH's GD4 came to stay with DH and me, and we allowed BM to move in with us temporarily until she could figure out what to do next. A few months later, she moved in with some friends, and now she comes and stays with us every weekend, so she can visit GD4.

A few days ago, DH and I were talking, and he revealed to me that he suspects OSD25 no longer wants to get GD4 back, a suspicion I have held (but kept to myself) for several months based on a series of actions since December that I won't go into right now. Now I'm raising DH's GD4 nearly on my own, because DH's job has him out of town a lot. I feel very overwhelmed, because I'm stuck in a situation that I NEVER wanted to find myself in, and there's no way out other than to leave. Strangely, I had not
previously considered leaving to be an option in this situation. However, DH actually asked me the other day if I was thinking about it, and I honestly have been ever since.

Let me be clear -- none of this is GD4's fault, and I don't blame her at all. That doesn't mean I've changed my mind about never wanting to have/raise children. I still don't, and the way my life has had to change to accommodate her only serves to validate my feelings. I've already put out so much of my own money to get this child things like new clothes (hers reeked so much I didn't want them in my house), furniture for her room (we didn't even have a bed for her at first), and toys (I was concerned about any residual drugs that might be on them). I've paid to put her in activities like swim lessons and soccer (I know they're not necessary, but I felt like she needed some stability in her life). DH is paying for her pre-school but plans to put her in public school in the autumn. I think that at that point (if I'm still here), I will let him know that I won't be paying for these things for her anymore. He can use the pre-school tuition he'll be saving if he wants to continue her in those things.

I've given up all my freedom, because I can't come and go as I please. I can't even get a babysitter, because Social Services won't allow us to leave her alone with anyone they haven't deemed acceptable. My mother came to visit, and we couldn't even leave GD4 with my mother to go to a movie, because Social Services hadn't performed a background check on her.

Meanwhile, OSD25 sits at home, doing nothing, collecting welfare and some sort of monthly stipend for being a single parent. She shops, hangs out with friends, goes for hikes in the mountains, etc., etc. She won't work, because she's trying to get approved to receive disability for a "heart condition" that she supposedly has. Ironically, the "heart condition" she claims to have is common in IV drug abusers. And don't even get me started on her criminal activity! This post is already too long! To top everything off, we suspect she is using again. We don't have proof, but she's looking like she did before she ended up in the hospital the first time last May.

Needless to say, I have a lot of thinking to do, and some things are going to change around here. The question I have to answer is "How much change am I willing to initiate?" Thanks for reading...hope to see you around the boards, and I hope that I will be able to help you all with some of my experiences. Cheers!

NoWireCoatHangarsEVER's picture

Holy S*(^& balls!!!!!!!!!!!!! You poor thing!!!!!! Wow. Just wow. Your SD takes the prize for the worst SD ever, I mean ever!!!!!!!! I don't even have any advice for you but your story is sending alarm bells off for me. My SD15 is dating an adult woman. An adult woman who is a dropout and does drugs and drinks and SD15 told us this weekend that she took the screen off of her bedroom window and adult girlfriend sneaks into her bed at 2 am after she finishes her shift at the pizza joint and sd15's mom allows it. I see a Hagitha situation could come up in my future for sure.

So ... can you get those background clearance checks for people you want to hire as sitters? Get the ball rolling on that because you need a break for sure. A little bit of what was normalcy for you. And is grandma ever going to be in a position where she can raise her granddaughter with perhaps your husband's financial support. Once she becomes school age and there is no pre-k cost could that money be given to her so that she can raise granddaughter and free you up?

You are definitely going to need a long term plan and solution because you are right about OSD25. She won't ever be a parent. Or should I say your husband is going to need to start working on a permanent plan to relieve you.

Personally I think you are a saint and don't apologize for not wanting to be a parent. You shouldn't have to sacrifice your lifestyle for ODS25 bad, bad, bad decisions but I do hope something can be done for that little girl that will be safe and happy as you did invest some time and money in her and that investment should be handed off to a worthy person.

Ninji's picture

I have also told my SO that I don't want children and when his kids grow up, I won't be raising their kids. Easier said than done a lot of times.

I'm sorry you have been put in this situation. You need to talk to DH about your growing frustration and the two of you need to come up with an action plan. Will OSD25 give up her rights and allow this child to be adopted? It doesn't sound like OSD or BM are able to take care of her now and probably never.

intrinsicmemory's picture

Have you considered writing a screenplay... or novel..? This whole situation is terrifying.

DazeyChain's picture

Thank you all for your insight, your thoughts, and your opinions. Several of you have asked questions, so let me see what I can address.

Dtzyblnd, OSD is still collecting money from the govt, because technically (as in legally on paper) OSD still has custody of GD. The type of agreement that we're in is called kinship, and it allows Social Services to place a minor with family instead of formally being placed in foster care. It's considered a "voluntary" program in lieu of a court-mandated placement in a foster home. OSD is not allowed to stay in my home as a caretaker, because a) she isn't allowed to be alone with GD, b) we know for a fact that she enabled drugs to be brought into my home, and c) she has stolen from us.

Sueu2, thank you for your thought-provoking perspective. I have never been happy about this arrangement. Granted, I do enjoy spending time with DH's GD in small amounts. As Twizzler, Ybarra357, and others have pointed out, I do care for DH's GD, but I would have compassion for any innocent child caught in this situation. I made a decision in the beginning to take her in, because she needed someone to be an advocate for her. Things happened very quickly, and neither GD nor BM (DH's ex) had anywhere to go. Taking them in seemed like the "right thing to do" at the time, and I believed that it would be temporary. It wasn't what I wanted, but I'm not heartless. I believe that sometimes we have to make decisions we don't want to make and do things we don't want to do, or we risk losing our humanity. I really hoped that OSD would get her life together. After all, I'd managed to surf the wave of YSD's drama, and prior to all of this, DH and I were finally at a point where we were going to be able to start living OUR life the way we wanted. We were both really looking forward to that. When he asked me that, it was sort of the "slap in the face" jolting me back to reality if you will. I don't feel like he owes me anything. We made a decision together to take her in until OSD healed, and I absolutely own my share of that. I was feeling defeated and thought that perhaps the other players (DH, BM) had forgotten how I feel about children, but your statements cause me to think that perhaps they think I have forgotten how I feel. Perhaps I need to readdress with them and approach it from the direction of seeking resolution, so, again, thank you for that.

To those that suggested getting a list of pre-approved sitters, I will check into that. Thanks for the idea! Perhaps a regular break provided by someone who isn't DH's ex staying in my guest room will help me to feel more balanced. Smile

still learning's picture

Wow :jawdrop: This is exactly the reason why I'm not pushing any of my kids to procreate anytime soon. You never know what can happen.

godess-clueless's picture

I am surprised that children's service does not have a time limit on the length of time a child can remain in the system in Canada. I was in a similar situation about 10 years ago. Dh was retired and I still working when for the second time one of his daughter's had a child removed from the home.

Since she was pre school age and dh was not one that I would leave to watch my own grandchildren, I ended up leaving my job.
In U. S. Our state places the child for one year, and sometimes up to 18 months. There are meetings to check out if the parent is doing what needs to be done to have their child returned to them.

Dh made life far too easy for his daughter. Dh requested that his daughter not pay child support. She had a job. There was one requirement made of her and that was for her to get her teen son into counseling. After 1 year , she still had not done that. Childrens Services wanted her off their case load and suggested that we (both of us were named on the paperwork) take custody so they could close their case on her.

I refused, I insisted they return the child and if the child ever was removed from her home and came back to us , it would be with full adoption. The court returned the child to mom. Childrens Service closed their case after 3 months of the child returning home.

In the end , it was a terrible financial strain when I gave up my job. Dh made it way to easy for his daughter to do nothing that she was supposed to do. Dh never showed appreciation for taking on the child and actually got quite nasty with me when I insisted the mom start fulfilling her own responsibilities or pay the consequences . When given a choice of " sink or swim " the mom did surprisingly well.

I actually love chidren, had 5 of my own, and both children were a delight when they each lived with me. There are just times when the coddling needs to stop .

Rags's picture

Ouch. Time to put the GSkid up for adoption and increase cash to SD-25 so she accelerates her heart explosion with some really good drugs. There are many couples who would love to have a small child to raise and who are already prescreened by Social Services. If Dh and BioGrandMa want a relationship with the GSkid they can negotiate an open adoption.

Sad I know. But .... good riddance when it happens.

Some wrecks of humanity are not worth the cost and effort of salvage. If they do not have the fortitude and character to fix themselves it is often far better to write them off and focus on your own life.

Take care of yourself.

joan mary's picture

One thing to consider is that a lot of men and women who had no intentions of ever having a child have ended up with one in their lives. I have a couple of friends who intended to remain childless and they have made the unexpected journey into parenthood. They have made the best parents and found many unexpected joys in their child. I think it is the clear headed thought process, and the lack of unreal expectations that have made them so wonderful. They were also aware that the time consuming years are really very short. By the time their child was in his teens they had much of their freedom back as he was launching into his own life.

I don't think that you need to make it a stay or go proposition. It is more about good boundaries. First I would get BM OUT OF YOUR HOUSE!!! Second, I would insist that DH take a job closer to home and become the primary care giver for this child. Third, I would make it legal so that the future is less uncertain. Then you can pick your own babysitters without needing Social Services approval.

Without the weight of the 3 items above you might find you enjoy this child more than you think.

By the way, you sound like you would make a wonderful mom to this little girl!!