You are here

What is my place

Ariadne's picture

I have a 14 year old daughter and my husband has an 11 year old daughter who still lives with her mother. I feel that my husband has tremendous guilt for leaving his daughter with her mother, and tries to make up for it by babying her. I have told him that it has to stop becuase at times she still speaks like a baby when she is around him. He admits that he doesnt know how to be a parent and needs help. My SD also lies. She seems to lie to get attention which she obviously craves. Her lieing has created a huge gap between she and I. I cant relate to her as I dont know if she is telling me somehting becuase she thinks I want to hear it or if its the truth, I dont know who she is inside so I just stay away from her which is hard as I really would like a relationship with her. I have spoken to her about this and she admits that she lies and that she will stop but she doesnt. This is the first time I have not been able to connect to a child, I love kids and its SO important to my husband that I do but I just dont feel any connection to her..am I a bad person?

Dawn-Moderator's picture

It sounds like your step daughter hasn't been brought up very well. Maybe you are frustrated because there isn't much you can do to help her since she is with her mother most of the time.

My stepson tells a lot of lies to get his way also. Maybe it is because of the situation they are in. I don't know. We are still trying to get him to stop this behaviour before the lies start getting serious!!

Do the best that you can and hang in there.

Dawn

Ariadne's picture

She hasnt been brought up well... but she is happy where she is. My husband wants to integrate her into our family life and has illusions about us being a happy family but our lives are worlds apart and I just dont see it happening. My SD is a very manipulative child from a very young age - scary really but her mother is master (I wont even get into that one!) so she has learnt from a pro. My husband doesnt see through it though, he sees it as 'cute' I see it as an accident waiting to happen if something isnt done about it now. I guess I am just riddled with guilt that I can actually not like a child... I think I may be associating her with her mother.... Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can learn to see her for who she is and not see the negative traits that I are so obviously inherrited from her mother? Im sure Im not alone here... am I?

Amy's picture

You are not alone. I too relate to this comment as well. My stepson has not been brought up well. I see alot of his mother in him. My husband has the illusion of being one big happy family. Is it their guilt? I too do not think this can happen. We see him in the summer and on certain hoilidays. Now my husband has told me he is trying to convince his son to come to where we live to attend college. This thought fills me with a sense of dread. I begin to imagine all sorts of things and it is six years away and he might not be accepted. Yet, I begin to worry. I don't trust this kid. I can already see my husband suggesting he watch our pets while we take a trip. I am thinking this is an opening for him to have a party in our house or snoop. Yeah, I know, I am getting ahead of myself. I think it is difficult to see them for who they are when you see them so infrequently. I sometimes wonder if things would have been different if I saw him every other weekend. I think husbands chose not to see things about their children post divorce. Afraid to face that some of their children's present or future problems are the result of their actions. My husband is not very good at being pro active. Early on I have seen certain issues...potential problems with his stepson, but when I tried to talk to my husbabd about it I was met with anger. So I do not say anything anymore. Since I find relating to his son difficult, I keep to myself. I feel I have no say in my home and when he comes I am the outsider.

hopeful's picture

You are not alone in this...bottom line is their mother is part of who they are. My step kids even look a lot like their mom. So when issues started to build in our home, I resented even the sight of the step kids. That is getting better now that I am away from the situation and don't see them as much. Not ideal but I can cope much better with this and not feel angry, hurt and resentful so much....life is too short!

Amy's picture

I totally understand how you feel. My stepson who is 12 years old just returned home and for me it wasn't fast enough. I don't think it is jealousy. I am not sure what to call it, but it is something I struggle with every time he comes. I have been dealing with these feelings since he was 5yrs old. Every summer he would come for 6 weeks and his father would go off to work. My husband who is a surgeon works long hours. This child had no manners and no rules. He could do what ever he wanted and stay up as late as he wanted. At 12yrs old, he is still immature. My husband provides no support and critizes me in regards to my behavior towards his son. I honestly tried in the beginning, but after having a child of my own 2 years ago...a boy and having to move to a new state when my baby was a month old and my husband starting a new job, living in a house that required work and then having my stepson for 6 weeks pretty much did me in. My husband was non existent. In regards to my husband I do nothing right. So when my stepson is due to visit I feel great anxiety because the pressure is on to perform the way my husband expects it. I have a difficult time relating to his son and I suspect my husband does as well. Though he would never admit it. I guess he expects me to love and adore his son, but I don't. I try to do my best and get through it. I just hope one day I will figure it out because I do know it causes my husband great pain and it causes conflict between us.

hopeful's picture

Isn't it sad when you think that something very special bring a couple together and yet that relationship is so easily destroyed by factors outside of that coupleness. It is so, so challenging...I wish there was some kind of way to understand all of this for all of us.

Ariadne's picture

I also do believe that our spouses choose to turn a blind eye as they see their children so infrequently and tend to spoil them. My husband actualy jumped down my daughters throat when my SD accused my daughter of somehting, he didnt even stop to find out what exactly had happened - I was very angry and he ended up having to apologize to my daughter but... no punishment for his daughter for trying to make trouble. They are good guys and I guess they have to turn a blind eye to their kids failures as there is nothing they can do to rectify them. We have these 'other womens' children and are expected to love them as we would our own. It just doesnt work that way and I think if our spouses could begin understanding that, it would be a great place to start off from. I dont think there is a magic answer. Realistically though - I dont see it getting any easier. I had no idea being in a step family could be so complicated!!

happy mom's picture

Maybe not jealously, you just don't know how she really is. Maybe not enough time w/her so you can't tell whether she is telling you the truth or not. I would be distant too I guess if I was in your situation but I would try and get to know her better. It's hard to develop a deep relationship w/stepchildren if they lie constantly. Hang in there and just be there for support. You'll be fine.

Heather of Fitzgerald, GA's picture

I dated my husband for a year before we got married. During that period, his son, who is 10 now, accepted me as a friend. Since we've been married, his son has turned against me. He will not listen to me, always argues with me, calls me names, and has threatened to kill me and call the cops on me. I've done all that I can to help him understand that I'm not trying to take his mom's spot at all, but just be a mother figure. His mom has been put in jail a lot and does drugs. He can see her from time to time, but lives with me and his father. Do any of ya'll have any suggestions as how to approach these situations with his smart allec mouth and him wanting to argue about everything I tell him to do?

happy's picture

Where is his dad when he is disrespecting you so badly?
My response on this is your husband needs to step in he is the bio parent and obviously if this child is not listening to you maybe he will his dad. I also say because this poor kid has had so many issues with his bio mom that he needs counseling quickly. Sad that it would come to that but wow.. You never know now a days kids threats of killing someone are reality. I would be a little leary. Thats all I can say. His dad needs to step in and let him know who the authority figure is in the house.. And talk to him about respect...

jenny's picture

Speaking for myself I couldn't handle that. I don't know if y ou have kids with your husband, but this brat will probably not change. He was raised by the BM and I can only tell you what I would do. Send him packing back to the mom, or I would be packing myself. If I had children of my own he would not be around them.

What about your husband? How did it get to this point he is allowed to talk like that? I would tell hubby that either I go, or brat boy goes.

ACopsWife's picture

I totally agree with you on that!! My DH would never let his Kids disrespect me like that. He always tells me, if they are doing something wrong, then correct them. I rarely have to do that, because they know their boundries. My DH works alot too, hes a Cop, and His kid/Kids are my responsibility, while he is working.

Out of ideas's picture

My twelve year old SD has lived with my husband and I for a year and a half now. It started with her coming to live with us for the summer and turned into a permamnent arangement because she and her mother have a bad relationship. At the beginning she was fantastic. Never caused a problem, did as she was told, communicated well, very respectful of me and my husband. After about four months she began challenging me specifically. When I tell her to do anything she pretends that she either did not hear me or that she did not understand me. I have even tried making her repeat back to me what I have said to make sure that she understands me. She has lied to close family and friends and has even tried to cause problems between me and her father by telling each of us that we have ben saying nasty things about each other to her. We have tried counseling and it only seemed to make matters worse-if you can imagine that. As soon as we started seeing the counselor my SD ceased all forms of communicaton with both myself and her father. The counselor also told us that my SD is not capable of telling the truth and will tell even morel ies each time she is caught in one. Her behavior has become quite brazen and she is very disrespecful towards me. Now, she threatens to move back to her mom's house each time she gets into trouble, but luckily my husband does not buy into that and doesn't give her the reaction she is seeking. I just don't know what to do anymore. None of our close relatives trust anything she says anymore because she has been caught in so many lies and has caused problems in their households. She is just a pathalogical lier and nothing we do seems to help. Any advise would be appreciated.

Anonymous's picture

Did you ever see any signs of her lying when she was younger? Im sorry I have no help to offer you as I have a similar problem.. my SD is showing signds of being a pathalogical lier and my husband just thinks that she will grow out of it but I am afraid that if it is not dealt with now, that it will soon be out of control as it seems your situation is. My husband thinks that she is at an age that she just makes up stories like she is in some kind of fantasy world and just laughs it off, I do believe that he even thinks its cute.... I cant make him do anything about it if he doesnt see it being a potential problem. He never wants to deal with her as a 'functioning' parent should due to the guilt of not being able to see her as as much as he should... Any suggestions?

jenny's picture

Take her shopping for a nice new suitcase.

happy's picture

I am no expert on this.. But I know that when I used to threaten my mom with I will go live with my dad all the time.. She finally looked at me and said you know what go pack.. I did this to my daughter to when she would say that, and she has never said it again.
It sounds like this little girl is very lost. Yet very smart.
My sister is a pathological liar, cannot tell you the truth if it is something as simple as the color of her socks. She was 7-8 months pregnant in 91 and when we asked her if she was pregnant she said she had a tumor and in feb. 92 that tumor was my new niece.
Needless to say she is in her 40's nothing has changed in her except for the fact that none of us speak to her at all anymore.
Maybe you could find a support group to help you deal with her personality. Maybe then there will be someone who was in her shoes and can talk to her. I personally do not understand lying all the time or at all but it must be very hard.
I am sorry to hear that you are going thru this. You and your husband just be very strong.

Not just a friend's picture

I met my stepdaughter 13 years ago when she was 16. At the time my daughter was 1. I married her father 10 years ago. Things started out
ok now that I look back it was ok as long as we were looking the other way but for how long does that go on? Well I learned how long until they do it to your other children. She was the only one in daddies life for a few formatable years. Her mother received child support and did nothing more that put a roof over her head all of the extras in HS and her whole college education was paid by my husband and myself. We have 3 children together. The SD got pregant inside of 3 months of knowing this new guy great a hope she would mature. She lost the baby and then still got married all inside 3 months. It all hit the fan at the shower 3 weeks before the wedding.
She wanted me to sit at the table with her mother and her friends and to leave my 2 girls age 12 and 7 at the time at a table with my sisters. She said I was her step mother and she was as much my daughter as they were. I said your right and they have more right to sit at the table with you then your friends do. The next three weeks she didn't talk to us.The girls and I didn't go to the rehearsal dinner. She exploded at my husband and myself the day before the wedding and her wedding day was the last we saw her. It is a hurt I haven't been able to reconcile with and I am just as angry with my husband as I am with myself and her. He was an overindulgent parent who didn't stick up for himself, our children, or me. We never left her out she had a room in our home she is Godmother to our 5 year old.
She is now 8 months pregnant and has told the other family not to tell us what do we do? My husband doesn't think she has changed. One thing we did try to talk to her but she didn't want to speak with me only him and he said no. If we remain estranged from her I am fearful it could happen with our children. Any advise???

Jason's picture

I've been married to my wife for nearly 14 years. She had a son from a previous relationship (not married). He was shacked up with his girlfriend on&off for almost 3 years. Now they have a 1 year old girl and they broke up. They were suppose to get married. My SS moved back in almost a month ago. He had to break the lease at the apt they lived in since they broke up. (he's moved at least 3 times in the last 3 years). He virtually has their entire apartment stashed in my garage. It's packed to the brim! He sleeps in my living room on a futon, doesn't pick up after himself, and there's stuff littered throughout the house. He even has his two cats in my house. (My wife and I already have 2 cats and 2 dogs ourselves) Our house is 1600 sq ft. Last week, we ended up watching his daughter for nearly 4 days straight. He doesn't have his own car. He was using his ex-girlfriend's car the whole time they lived together. Now, he's using our cars to get back and forth to work. He works fulltime at a factory 2nd shift. He eats our groceries, drinks the beverages in the fridge, and doesn't help out with any living expenses. He pays nothing!! In the last few days, his cousin who is 2 years older than him has been stopping over unannounced and making himself at home! Eating food, drinking sodas, etc.. He's even spent the night. I'm starting to feel my nice house I work so hard to maintain and pay a mortgage on is turning into a local "Days Inn". I can't even relax in my living room because this is where my SS sleeps. I work 3rd shift and I've lost sleep either because of noise, his baby crying, or I've had to wake up and babysit so he can leave for work. I'm really at my wits end and am afraid if I confront my ss directly and express how I feel to my wife, there will be a mushroom cloud over my house. Need advice, please...

Nise's picture

It seems like there is already a lot of tension in your home…it’s just not being verbalized…1600 square feet is the perfect amount of space for you, your wife and your pets…however, NOT OPTIMAL for adding two more pets, another grown man, his baby and all his crap that needs to be in storage! If he has a job, why isn’t he contributing to the household in some way? You watch his daughter so he can work but when he gets paid he doesn’t give you anything?! If he is saving all of his money to move out and get his own place then he should be able to tell you “I will be out in X number of months when I get X number of dollars saved”…if that happens…it is likely that you will be able to grin and bear it a little while longer b/c you will have a resolution soon…however, if he isn’t saving and isn’t contributing, what the heck is he doing with his money?! You need to talk to your wife and tell her how you are feeling before it comes out in an explosion and becomes a fight…I’ve found in my marriage that it’s always better to address stuff like this during the “calm”…. come at her in a “I want to find a way to help him help himself sort of manner” and come up with a plan for him to 1. stay for however many more months rent free under the pretense that he is saving money and WILL move out by such and such a date…or 2. stay for a longer period of time then he would in option one, paying however much a month you all decide on with an extended “drop dead” date for him to move out…I mean this is only reasonable…he cannot sleep on your couch until eternity and it sounds like he needs a little “push” in the “planning department”…keep us posted!

Make a GREAT Day!

Anonymous's picture

He's supposed to be moving out 10-31. I hope, so he says anyway. My wife and I have had several verbal combat situations recently regarding these issues and I hate it! Just yesterday, I asked my wife what was he doing with his money, and she told me that he's been paying a lot of his bills from the hospital from the birth of their child. And he's supposedly trying to gather funds for an apt, car, etc... Nevertheless, the inconvenience, let alone heavy stress on us is becoming rather exhausting. These kinds of issues can be a deadly cancer to any marriage that will result in a slow painful death to the marriage. I don't want ours to become one the statistics of failed marriages. I'm just hoping if I can get him a car, he will go away. The only downside is everytime we get together with him, or if he comes over in the future, there will always be tension.

Bobbi's picture

Jason,

Have you made any attempts to express your feelings to your wife or to get her feelings on the subject? If you have not, you are anticipating her reaction without really knowing. She may be just as tired of the whole situation as you are.

I really need to know where your wife stands on the subject.

Jason's picture

I've been back and forth with her on this subject. We have even gotten into some pretty bad arguments over it with little solution. She basically sides with her son. Regardless if he's completely out of line. Recently, (this past weekend), I found out I was missing $50.00 cash out of my top desk drawer in my home office. I usually don't do this, but I've been trying to save for a new storm door for our house. I went into the drawer the other day to discover $30.00 was missing. I called my wife to check maybe to see if she used it for whatever reason, seeing it is her money as much as mine. I told her, and she said no. It was either my stepson who took it, or his sleepover cousin. Last night, I recovered the $30.00, however, I think my stepson was covering for his cousin. Either way, this is completely out of line!!!! Now he/they are stealing from us and this goes on??!!! I told my wife he needs to go, and I did not want his cousin in my house or even close to my office. She said we shouldn't raise the issue, because it could cause a family feud/war. AAAHHH!!!

Anonymous's picture

Like my dear ole dad use to say...If hes old enough to father a child hes old enough to support himself.

I'm still wondering why you let him move back in in the first place.

Jason's picture

Well, I allowed him back in because I guess I'm too nice. At the moment, I had a feeling of compassion and I didn't want him on the street. When I allowed him back in (temporarily) of course, I said a couple weeks, (month) tops. I did not realize what the can of worms I had spilled open. I would say the worms have been pretty poisonous to say the least.

Jason's picture

I wish I would have read your reply sooner, because it makes total sense to me now!! I have done everything wrong. I have done everything I wasn't suppose to do, according to your advice. I've bitched, complained, and verbalized my resentments which have caused several firefights. Not to make excuses, but, when something like this affects me so personally and causes so much unnecessary stress, I have a very hard time just standing back getting kicked in the teeth. I will try the tactics you've suggested, because it sounds like a very intelligent solution. Thanks