You are here

Ugh...what is with the dads and adult daughters????

bizbear's picture

A little background....I am a recently divorced bio mom of 3...D18, S almost 17 and S13. My children live with their dad, as he threatened me with draining all the family finances, dragging the kids through the court system, etc. I thought the damage would be far greater to my kids to put them through something like that, so I decided to make a graceful exit. Not to mention the money spent on 'trying to win' when we will have 2 kids back to back going to college. The ex is a control freak, but that is another story. If my bio kids had been younger, I would never have agreed to the current custodial situation, although we have joint custody. I was a stay at home mom for 17 years. The ex is a good dad and provided a good enough living for me to be able to stay home for all those years. I made the house run and took care of mostly everything...repairs, etc. He made the living he did, because I was there to take care of our kids...while he was working 10 plus hours a day and gone for 12 hours with the commute. He was/is a hard worker when it comes to his job and he is a good dad, overall. BUT, he enables our daughter. She just turned 18 and will be off to college in a few short months. Our daughter was the last straw in the demise of the marriage, in my opinion. Not that I blame her, I blame the ex and myself for not being partners and dealing with her correctly. I tried so hard. My daughter has been difficult since she was a tot. Mouthy, feeling entitled, etc. I would argue with her and the ex would come home from work and he just blew me off and didn't want to hear it. Thus, enabling the poor, disrespectable behavior. I just couldn't get him to see how disrespectful she was...until he had his way with the divorce...and she now lives with him most of the time, although she has spent a lot of time with me in the last several months. Here's the interesting thing... now he will call me after he has had a go around with her to complain and vent about her big mouth and sense of entitlement. I listen and kindly say that I wish he would have seen this behavior before and it is nothing new to me. Last week the same thing occurred and he hung up on me twice! The second time telling me he wouldn't ever call me again (about the daughter), and that I should go F myself. I had a witness who would say that I never raised my voice to the ex on the phone and there was no reason for him to get so angry and treat me that way. That type of behavior was defintely the final decision to get divorced. Today another situation arose and once again he put our daughter ahead at other's expense. When I told him that our daughter has to be accountable...she just turned 18, he hung up on me again! He just doesn't want to hear it, yet calls me when he needs to vent about her. So, what is this bi-polar type attitude? Is he afraid that the daughter won't love him in the long run? Did he not feel loved by his mother? I just don't get it. He talks my language, but then when I challange him to make her accountable, he gets mad at me! It's not like he hasn't read her the riot act and tells her to shape up, but he always caves. What is wrong with him?

I am now living with a SO in a house that we have purchased together...I provided the lump sum and he pays the monthly bills...although I have bought all the food since last fall. If anything, I have put a lot more money into this venture than he has. He asked me to marry him in February. He is a great guy and treats me very well...A hell of a lot better than the ex did. We started working on this house deal a year ago...about the same time his 19 year old daughter flunked out of college. Without going into a lot of detail, his daughter is living with us now and has been for the last year. The daughter proceeded to flunk out of JR college this year as well..by withdrawing from her classes or being withdrawn for not showing up for class. There are many other issues that I won't go into now. I have brought up these issues to the SO many times and he agrees with me all the time. I would never put up with these things from my own bio kids and have told him the same. He agrees with me....then does NOTHING. Never any good follow through on what he says he will do.

So, my question....what is it with the dad's and daughters???? My ex makes no bones about what he expects from our sons...but not from our daughter. Now, ironically I am in the same situation with a great man who is unable to stand up to his 20 year daughter...who has lied and manipulated him. Why don't these men see this???

In all fairness, I must say the SO's daughter is not mouthy like my daughter, although SO doesn't challange his daughter, if he does she is the same way as my daughter. In fairness to my daughter, she is a hard worker and has direction in her life unlike SO's daughter.

Why can't these men...in their early 50's (lots of people and work experience) get it when someone is walking all over them??

IslandofDreams's picture

I see this too in my Hubby. When the girls ask, he melts. Luckily, he is able to see their faults (sometimes). But for the most part, I can not mention anything negative about them without wrapping it up in a pretty bow.

Basically, I am saying that it is not WHAT you say to dads about their daughters but HOW you say it.

Instead of saying Bad IOD, "your daughter is a glutton who can't even close her mouth when she eats. She shoves so much food in her mouth at one time, I think she's going to choke"

Good IOD " I am concerned about her relationship with food. She is going to be teased about her weight when she gets into middle school. "

oneoffour's picture

Princess Syndrome.

My Grand daughter's father (not involved with my daughter anymore)had his 24th birthday this week. On the cake was "Daddys Girl". WTF? His daughhter is 3. She won't notice nor can she even read. But his family act like she walks on water.

And so it continues. NOTHING terrifies a father more than losing his princess due to enforcing rules.

As far as your ex is concerned, agree with him. "I know, I know, I know. Oh well. I am sure you are doing your best."
General comments. Don't try to solve his problems. He will only hang up on you or yell at you. how can he do that if yu are agreeing with him?

ijunction's picture

i have a similar situation in which i am supposed to marry this man with 3 grown children and he has a "emotional incest" situation with his youngest daughter who is an adult. at first it appeared as though he was a caring doting father but under the rug appeared a lot of dysfunction. he thinks i'm jealous and trying to find fault but after reading a lot on the internet i found out i'm not so crazy and that this is a real thing these fathers do with their daughters to replace the exwife that they can't get over.

jojo68's picture

Oneoffour....OMG...I read what you wrote about "Daddy's Girl" and I had to tell you a story about the other day I went to Wal mart and was standing in line at the checkout and this little girl was standing there with this shirt on that said "when Daddy's Little Princess aint happy...aint nobody happy" I actually found myself getting angry about it...LOL I know that is crazy right. I was thinking these people have no f'ing idea what they are doing promoting that sort of thinking.
You are so so right...nothing scares a daddy more than losing his princess due to enforcing rules. I live with it everyday and as the years pass it is getting worse...much worse. When she starts driving and going out with boys...no good can come of it. I told my BF that he is going to have some serious heartache and headaches coming.

2ndTimeAround's picture

I agree and have seen this many times with men - both in my own family and in men who I've been involved with. IMO, I think when the relationship between the adult parents is not good, there is the possibility that either or both of the parents will unconsciously (or actively) seek out an emotional 'surrogate' in the child(ren) of the opposite gender. Therefore, you wind up with Daddy's Girls and Mama's Boys. I do think it tends to happen more on the Daddy's Girls side, though. And popular culture just feeds it. For example, just listen to country music (which many men listen to). You can't go 15 minutes without hearing some sappy song that has a "daddy's girl" theme it in. Kind of sick really; it used to be love songs were about men and women. Now it's about men and their daughters!

Matchmadejns's picture

Now that I think of all the country songs on the radio, I see how so very right you are. Thankful that my BF doesn't listen to country, other than love songs I play...but his daughters listen to it all the time. No wonder! :O

kit2kat00's picture

Sounds like my situation - my DH can see no wrong in his 19 yr old college student. she drags him around by the nose and he just goes. last year when she graduated high school, I gave her money and a gift and she never sent a thank you. when I mentioned it to him, he said "oh, I can't believe it!" but I never did get a thank you. I don't have enough time or energy to tell every situation, but talk about enabling bad behavior!!

FaithL's picture

I so agree with 2ndtimearound. My DH was divorced for 18 years, from the time his "girls" were 5 and 7. We married 8 years ago, when his "girls" were 23 and 25. Needless to say, you can imagine how that has went. He has even agreed that the oldest one, which he is closest too (34 now), had taken on many of the wifely roles for him (nothing sexual), because he had no woman in his life. My problem is now it is so hard for them and him to see me as the #1 woman in his life and it really gets old - although he says that is how he wants it to be. It's really tough (I'm sure for everyone) - but he should have thought about that before he asked me to marry him. And they should be happy he is not alone and has someone who cares about him. I would love to just throw in the towel, we'll see.

glynne's picture

I have no solution for you Biz

Just a huge amount of compassion. My DH is the same way with his daughter, the Princess. The only thing that I can suggest is to put a time limit on how long SD can live with you and make SO aware that she is HIS responsiblity not yours.

Are you still planning on marriage? I don't know if pre-marital couseling will work but it might be worth a shot. My DH is also a great guy, I know that he loves me and he is nobcdy's fool with the exception of his daughter. It just doesn't make sense and I don't have the answer and have disengaged.

bizbear's picture

Oneoffour...yes, I agree with you to agree with the ex. But sometimes he wants myself and or my son to fill in for the princess. Asking me to do something is one thing, but my son is another. BUT, I have learned to listen to him when he's venting and agree and smile to myslef! It's actually comical at times!

Islandofdreams- examples. BAD-1)Your fat @@s daughter is so lazy she can't clean her room. 2) her room is so gross there's probably bugs in her bedsheets. 3)I hope daughter does(n't) poke her eye out when putting in her brow 'earring' 4)I've hidden all the sugared pop under our bed so your DD won't drink it all 5)She flunked again? 6)You have got to be kidding...she ran up a $1600 credit card bill in one weekend?
GOOD 1) Maybe I can help DD clean her room, I'm great at organizing 2)I will wash her laundry and bedsheets for her! 3)Gee those piercings sure look attractive 4)I have bought plenty of diet pop for DD. 5)she seems to need some extra help with her studies, I would be happy to help her 6)Oh honey, I don't mind if you pay off her crdit card bill...what a wonderful thing you are doing for your DD.

OK, that's a joke above, but I couldn't resist!

2ndtimearound...I think you are right in the situation with my ex and bio daughter...I never thought of it in that way,thanks for the insight. I think you hit the nail on the head. With the SO i don't think that applies. He wants his daughter out of here as much as me but just doesn't have the nerve to put his foot down. Funny neither one of us cares for country music, now I know why! LOL

Kit-what is your DH'd daughter doing know? Something productive I hope.

bizbear's picture

I hear you Steperg, in more ways than one.

My bio is the mouthy one, although if the SD was pushed to the wall I believe she would be as equally mouthy. I am thrilled that my bio has direction and wants to do something with her life and will be starting college in the fall. She will have 3 roommates so she will have to learn real fast to get along with others in close quarters. For some reason, I don't think this will be a problem, as she usually 'targets' her dad or I when she is feeling "o wow is me". Like your SD, my bio targets one or the other of us as her whipping post depending upon who is being nice to her. It's a vicious cycle and a horrible dynamic. Our fault for not partnering in parenting her from a long time ago. I knew this was coming as she has always had a mouth. Her dad would not stand next to me in agreement on discipline, when she sorely needed it. Nothing has changed, although he says he won't pick up the phone if she calls from college and asks for money all the time. I don't believe him, he will cave as always. Very interesting, the ex's father was a big city cop and came from a large family and tolerated NOTHING in the way of disrespect or bad behavior. The ex is a tough guy, but for the daughter he is mush.

The SD is another animal all together. Barely graduated HS because of lack of attendance. Flunked out of college twice and her latest feat, got fired from her first job after only 5 days. I think she wants to be a singer in a rock band. Well, we know that's a one in a million chance! Nothing wrong with having those aspirations, but one needs something to fall back on. She is lazy as the day is long and a slob. Stays up all night and sleeps all day. Eats all the poor food (junk) choices and is obese. Loves the color black and has red and black hair. Extremely poor habits. Yesterday she had every excuse in the book for not cleaning her room. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut. Then yesterday while searching for the cat in her pigsty I found most of my bins of beads stacked up in her room! I couldn't believe she would just take those without asking. I was furious. Of course this was after telling her dad that noone should be looking in her room...Hello, she lives here for free and it is not her house nor her room. I agree she HAS GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE! Back to mom or the military.

Today is her 20th birthday. I can't even bring myself to say happy birthday.

I have thought of counseling and will suggest that after I read the book you suggested, if still no progress is made.

Thanks for your suggestions and support.

StepX2's picture

First time as SM had 4SDs and I saw this pattern very clearly and after my dear hubby died and I got back into dating, my #1 rule was: Do Not get involved with a man who has this type of relationship with his daughter. Even though DF has 1DD and 3DS, he just doesn't have a close relationship with DD but on the flip side he is way too involved with 2 of his sons' lives. He has enabeled both to be nonproductive members of society and allows them to use him all the while treating him like sh!t (It was frustration with this that brought me to this site). The 3rd son (oldest son) is very responsible and has his act together and he and I get along very well, with oldest son even venting to me a lot about how sad his brother's situation is. Still, I think I can handle this current relationship better than the one with the 4SDs because as women we want to be the #1 woman in our man's life and with some men their daughter, regardless of the age, will ALWAYS be their #1.

bizbear's picture

Thank you StepX2...unfortunately, I think I am reliving that same thing that broke up a 20 year marriage, with my own bio daughter. Thanks for stating it so clearly.

AVDetroit's picture

Sounds like various degrees of the Oedipus complex. There is a big difference between being Daddy's Little Girl, Princess Syndrome and emotional incest. I'm a daddy's girl and my stepmom hates it, but there is a connection between a parent and their children. My dad can sit down and talk with my brother and I as if we talked yesterday when we haven't spoken in months, but my stepmom gets angry because she feels left out and that she's not my father's personal favorite. But that's her deal. Princess Syndrome and emotional incest take a normal connection too far, one person is being taken advantage of in those situations.

I see the Prince Syndrome with my DH and the emotional incest with my SS's BM. My SS takes advantage of my DH's bank account and my SS's BM uses my SS for an emotional tampon, probably most people would tell her she's nuts if she confided in them instead.

Matchmadejns's picture

I thought I was being b1tchy about the fact that hearing the 20 y/o call him Dadda makes me sick. Barf!

mtnwife530's picture

Anyone else have a SD40, that still exclusively uses " daddy" ? But BM is still "Mother"? Whats p with that?????

AVDetroit's picture

For a long time it wasn't manly or macho for boys to resort to emotional blackmail, but they are doing it more and more. Its comes out in expressions like, my feelings were hurt by "x", this is all a misunderstanding and SS feels he's being blamed for it. Creative, yet manipulative, expressions like these.

AVR1962's picture

Bizbear, my husband didn't expect anything from his sons either so I don't think it is just a father/daughter thing. Husband and I have a bio daughter together and I think he has actually expected more from her that he did from his boys. I think it may have something to do with his age but he is also more involved with her than he was with his sons.

stepgin's picture

My SD32 has openly admitted that she's a "daddy's girl." But when we do talk (rarely these days) she's the first to bash her dad to me. But always praises her mom and talks about how she admires her. BTW: her mom wanted the divorce becasue she was already screwing husband #2.
Anyway, my DH plays right into all that princess crap and it's really kind of icky. He uses the same endearments for both of us. Darlin', baby and sweetheart. I've told him to pick one for each of us and not to use them otherwise cause it's creepy when he calls "Baby!" and both of us answer!

SugarSpice's picture

this was the case with dh and his children.

bm wanted out of the marriage because she was also screwing husband # 2 who was married. (20 years later #2 cheated on bm. how is that for payback?)

why do divorced dads become door mats?

a lot has to do with guilt and they lose their balls.

look up "mini wife" on this site and see what you get.

tofurkey's picture

wow, all so familiar. I agree with you and everyone else, it's just gross. I DO NOT buy into the daddy's girl thing. Ew, ew , ew. And MAJOR ew when it's a grown woman who still calls her father "daddy."

As a side note to stepgin's post - the same exact thing has happened to me. Sometimes my DH calls me "sugar" , after he said that while we were at his mom's house and his kid was there and we both answered, I was like uhm barf? I also told him he makes sure to differentiate between the two of us. Just gross....

Shannon61's picture

I'm also part of the DH has a "daddy's girl" team and him putting her first is becoming more difficult to tolerate. As many of you know, she lives with us (another story). She'll be 27 next month, doesn't work (claims she's looking), doesn't contribute to household chores, is lazy and has caused the most conflict in our marrage.

When I moved in a few years ago, she walked around the house wearing a pair of short that read "daddy's girl" on her butt.
I should have ran for the hills right then and there.

It's deflating to be put second in your own home, the home that you're paying bills in I might add. But you witness the daughter get the princess treatment. I'm still kicking myself for marrying a man with children . . especially a daughter! If I had it to do over again, I would have married the other guy who was nuts about me . . who has no blasted children! I've told DH if she's not gone by next year this time, I'm done. Not sure who's more pathetic . . him or her. :sick:

Shannon61's picture

Heck I couldn't wait to get in my own place and was so excited. But I don't see that in her. But I think she's finally starting to realize how pathetic living at home at her age makes her look.

Instead of being the self-assured, independent, self-reliant woman that she should be, she's a coddled, dependent, immature woman child that has no common sense or wisdom to know that the only person you should depend on to take care of you is the one you see in the mirror. I honestly think DH still wants her to still depend on him.

mtnwife530's picture

I totally agree, 27 living at home is a bit much, BS was moved into the collage dorm at 18 and BD was still 17 her first day of collage and she went to a school 2 states away! All I can say obviously no one on this site lives in Utah. o offense to anyone, But I have IL's there and kids don't move out til they get married ! No joke ,BIL did have the "family" record at 27 ( now 65) but niece has the "family record" that will never be broken! 34! No kidding! Hey, she a great person, has had a fulltime job with the same place for 14yrs. She does help in the house, buy groceries (but no rent) And no one bats an eye about it because... she's not married. She did move out once for about 2 mos, but was spending more time at her parents than her own place, so she moved back. It could always be worse!

kk's picture

I read with interest the emotional incest comment, that's what my DH has...his parents didn't get along, his father had him for a buddy and DH appointed oldest SD the princess. When I tried to discuss this with a marriage counselor she told me that was offensive and incest was only sexual, etc.etc. Now that I've ordered the book from Amazon I intend to further my education. My 38/soon 39 yo SD climbed in his lap and counselor said Oh it doesn't mean anything. I'm soooo over this DH and his fixation on the SD and his emotional unavailability to me!!!! :sick: His father molested my other SD and my DH has emotionally replaced any woman with the emotional enmeshment with SD!

SugarSpice's picture

i really wish i had married some one else with no children.

its really too late now so disengagement is best for me at my age.

dh goes nuts with one of the sds. she is almost thirty. her life is a train wreck of alcohol and drugs, car crashes and end less string of lovers. no stable relationships.

she was fired from a job where she had an affair with a supervisor.

after twenty years of wedding "bliss" the gift dh gave to me was a solitaire ring almost the same size as the one he got me when we married. twenty years and that is all i get.

otoh sd is barely making minimum wage at her job but at least she is out of the house. dh paid for her cosmetic surgery about four thousand dollars and is now paying to send her on a vacation overseas for two weeks. another four thousand dollars.

he is also buying a new luxury car for himself and you can imagine the amount for that.

my anniversary jewellery cost only half of dh surgery. i am just waiting for sd to have another life emergency and watch dh open his wallet.

add to this dh is bullying me to pay $100 for the annual gym membership.