You are here

Twenty years of stress due to manipulation BM, SD’s (24,27) wonder how to go on

Mar's picture

Grateful to have found steptalk, I'm from the Netherlands. There used to be a stepmother site here which helped me through Some rough years in the beginning of our now 20 years of marriage. My DH ex has been terrible trying to frustrate contact between my husband and huis daughters to Some succes. We've not seen the eldest for Some years and many stressful things have happened. BM 's motto seems to be: I'm not capable of loving contact with my daughters and I do everything in my power to make sure DH ( and I) Will not either. All with a fake smile and smooth talk in public and terrible actions in real life such as faking cancer, organising things for SD's at our daughters birthday etc . Our daughter is  18 btw. and has her own relationship with SD's. She finds it very hard if I talk ugly about them. 

at this moment contact with the SD27 is minimal but ok. With YSD (24) I had grown a real strong bond in the first few years. We were always doing fun things together or the there of us, with bio daughter. Her mother neglected her completely in favour of the OSD and DH was instructed by BM to spend all huis time with OSD. 

over the years DH found himself back and changed all this, very strong and I was proud. But the last 5-10 years YSD avoids all contact. This hurts me too  since we used to be close. BM had changed her focus from OSD to YSD and although BM clearly had some personality disorder - DH , me and sometime OSD have similar views on this- that makes her act awful YSD is in complete denial of it.

DH and YSD are in relation therapy to restore contact and she says she has a loving BM. In the meantime contact is not improving. Now what Made me mad and stressed : YSD was with her mother - we did not know- when DH received some apps   That sounded like they came from BM . Very condescending and hé brought this up in the relation therapy . YSD went out of her way to talk DH into the idea that this had a whole different meaning and he was convinced that he saw it all wrong and YSD had good intentions. 

my point is : first 10 years BM manipulated DH, he slowly freed himself, then OSD, and now we're starling the same with YSD who is so sneaky but DH let himself played by her. To a point where I'm not invitedvto Some party from YSD ( everyone Else is)  and it is all turned in a way that it is my fault - 

i'm sick of all this sneaky twisting, plotting and scheming . Sorry , had to vent this for now 

Winterglow's picture

I think I would stop caring what either of the SDs do at this point. They are not your responsibility, they are adults, they do not live with you. So continue your life as if they no longer existed. If your DH wants to see them, then he can see them outside of your home. You will no longer tolerate having people who do not respect you in your home. I hope your DH has told his daughter that you and he are a package deal and that if she invites him to a party, then she automatically invites you too. Whether you go or not is your decision.

And please do not bad mouth them to your daughter any more. 

Rags's picture

YSD needs a full contact therapist to help her extricate her head from her ass regarding her BM and to help YSD with an effective Rx to get over her BM related Cranio-Rectitis.  A BM behavioral exocism if you will.

Time to repeatedly remind DH of the past behaviors re: BM and OSD and how this is nothing more, or less, than round two of that same crap only with YSD as the possessed by BM doll.

Please keep in mind that discussion of the facts regarding DD-18's two older BM possessed half sibs is not "talking ugly" about them. Facts are neither good, nor are they bad. They are merely facts.  Your DD needs clarity on this IMHO and you need to stick to the truth, facts, etc.. .and keep all appropriate noses rubbed firmly in the stench that their choices represent in relationship to the facts. In a non ugly manner of course. 

Wink

Other than that .. what Winterglow said above.

2Tired4Drama's picture

If they cannot treat you with dignity and respect then you do not need a relationship with them.

Your DH should continue on with his therapy with YSD. Maybe it will help.  Maybe it won't.  But at least he can always say he tried to everything he could to make a good relationship with his daughter.

I agree with Winterglow that your DH should NOT go to any event where you are purposely excluded. I also agree that you should not talk badly about SDs to your 18 year old daughter since they are her half-sisters.  BUT...I do think it is very important that you and your DH sit your daughter down and honsestly tell her why you will no longer have anything to do with SDs. 

You must be careful that the SDs don't poison your own daughter against you. That can easily happen if they are manipulative enough.  It sounds like they are. 

Mar's picture

Thanks so much for the clear, straight answers. I tried to fit 20 years  of rubbish in a few alineas and you still got it.

I found the item on disengaging, very appealing and although I never heard of it before, its is what I practice with OSD and it works well for everyone. DH and daughther (18) have their own contacts and sometimes, when I feel like it, I join, other times I dont. didn't know about if but yes, feels all right.

About the YSD, what happened with the party: YSD talked about it with DH AFTER their therapy (she knows it will be a thing and brings it up when DH is off guard) ; she put him on the spot with: 'my sorority house has a family thing and I can only invite 4 people, I want to invite you, BM, OSD and daugter. how about it?'. DH feels he can only say "yes" and that's it. She has me out of the picture.

So DH said its was ok, YSD said that maybe I could join later and DH said I might not like that (he blames himself for saying that). YSD was vague about the whole thinbg.  DH could nog tell me anything, time, program, who woudl be there etc.  he tried calling YSD and apping her but no reaction. 

Eventually the invite came by mail and it turns out there is no "4 people only"  rule at all and I just did not receive an invite. I feel YSD played DH because she never answered her phone of app (while glued to her phone) so yeah, I may be paranoid but I feel played somehow.

What do you think, am I parnoid or not? Not that I have any intention to go so that's water under the bridge and is does nog realy bother me. 

What really does bother me is the relationship with DH and my own daughter.

DH: what to do? Should I accept him going with BM because the rule was 4? So BM and dad are in? How do you think about that? External factors are brought up as the cause that I will not be invited. I think DH should have said 'I'm nog coming" but he feels YSD does not make the rules and it makes sense she invites BM and him. I feel that since BM is a real piece of work and I brought YSD up basically I feel left out. More so because nothing is said and it is assumed this is normal and ok. My husband is very cold to me now and thinks I'm paranoid, YSD is nog manipulative at all.. What do you think?

And yes, my biggest fear is that they put my daughter against me I trust my daughter this will not happen but I don't want her in the position that I have to explain myself constantly. Badmouthing is more like that I say ; ' I did nog get an invite to YSD's party"  like yesterday. I cannot completely get the bitterness out of my voice, so hard. How do you do that.

And my husband bringing up SD's  as conversational topics with friends, pff, I smile a bit an keep quiet. DH is really angry with me now.

Oh yeah, exorcism has crossed my mind more then once, how on earth do we get YSD to be a little less blind to BM. Really don't know. Current therapist does nog say useful things, only acknowlegde YSD in her ' I have a loving mother and DH should act normal to BM" . On this DH and I agree by the way but no idea how to get her moving in another direction.

sandye21's picture

That may sound a little weird but think of it - if they accuse you of being paranoid and you even have the slightest doubt that you MIGHT be, they have all won, you have lost.  Tell your DH that you were not paranoid at all, but his rudeness, and that of his daughter are irritating to you, along with the false, passive-aggressive, gaslighting accusations of being paranoid.  If he had any respect for you and your marriage he would have told SD he takes you to family events - period.  If he wants to be mad, so what?

Jojo4124's picture

You ARE being played. Maybe go on a little vaca while they dote on her.

Dont show that you care, cuz they get a rise about that. Go have fun. They'd probably make your time at the sorority house crappy if you did go. 

My 23yo step kids loved to get bm n dad together apart from me. They always talked with their dad about memories with bm when they were a family unit. Rude. Ppl that hurt others like this dont care that you are hurt. They dont care that you're human. Give them the same regard.

Take your daughter away for a weekend or go do special stuff with her, she's your dd too. Shower her with love n use hubby's time away panting after his old failed family to make memories with your own child. Can she be allowed to chose?

You never have to explain anything to anyone. Just say something like "it is what it is". Or after they come back, go away with your dd and dont invite hubby. I always loved taking my girls out n having fun with them, glad I did that.

Take care of YOU. Bitterness isnt worth having. Let go of what/who causes you this...you deserve peace. If DH doesnt support you doing what it takes to have peace in your life then I question whether he cares about you, in truth.

Rags's picture

THe solution is to jerk a knot in DH's tail and inform him that HE will not attend an event that BM will be present for without you. And... your daughter will not be isolated from  you in some pathetic manipulation by DH's failed family progeny and manipulative XW.

Then go get an amazing dress, get an awsome makeover and broadcast your radiance at the event.  Take your daughter for the same preparation pampering and then both of you be on your DH's arm making it clear that BM and the failed family breeding mistakes are clear that they are benieth you and your family and will not be allowed to separate you from your DH and your daughter.

Radiance, broadcast of happiness and confidence is like putting spotlight into a dark roach filled room. The roaches scury for the shadows.  Make sure BM gets the roach message.

Mar's picture

Haha, radiance is the best revenge yeah, I might just take on that advice! It worked before...

Anyway, I see in all your answers that you are clear on DH not attending any sort of gathering without me? Here in the Netherlands there seems to absolute consensus that it is good voor children to have both their parents together at events and it's irrelevant if I'm there. So here I get te opposite advice.

It pisses me of in the case of BM who pulled every trick in the book to screw DH, children and me arount. She definitiely has some personality disorder (even OSD is convinced of that) and being in her presence gives you the chills. Well, I can handle her, she's just like my mother and I know when to hmmm in time. Never say anything substantial at all.

What I would like to know: do you really think DH should not go without me - although this is a parents ands siblings only thing as organised by her sorority house?

And do you have any tips how YSD can get out of her denial where BM is concerned. I know it's terrible to have an unloving mother but to stay in her web is not a nice thing, especially when the consequence is almoast no contact with DH and us (me, our daugher) because her mother only stimulates contact wiht people who are under her spell -boyfriends, OSD when possible -

Or do you say, let it go?

Rags's picture

You are a parent.  More importantly you are your DH's partner.  I would go.  The 4 only stipulation is false if I recall correctly.  For that reason alone I would not tolerate being excluded.

I cannot speak to the cultural norms at play in Netherlands blended family dynamics.  Being pragmatic is what guides my perspective on many blended family topics.   The manipulative nature of this whole thing would put me in zero tolerance mode if I were you.

Take care of you, your daughter and your marriage.

On a side note,  your country is my favorite European destination.  It has been since I was a young man/teen.  We have spent extensive time in your beatiful country.  My younger brother is the COO of a Dutch company.

Just an interesting  few degrees of separation thing.

sandye21's picture

"What I would like to know: do you really think DH should not go without me?"  No.

"Or do you say, let it go?" No.

You have had a major roll in SD's life.  I have traveled a lot, including the Netherlands.  I don't care what country you're in - it's still disrespectful for SD to exclude you, and for your DH to allow it.

Jojo4124's picture

You will only be seen as trying to put a wedge between her n her bm. Later in life, if she realizes her bm is nasty, she may come to you for advice. I doubt it tho. Let go of trying to rescue ppl, it'll come back to smack you in the face in this case, imho

Mar's picture

Thanks for the advice, I told DH that I'm upset about YSD not inviting me and even more upset about him accepting. Okay, he sees it's nog really nice but still goes.

He resists the idea that this is manipulation as we have endured for 10 years form BM, 5 years OSD and now this is the third wave and that I can no longer take that. Especially since I used to have a real bond with YSD.  DH does not agree with the manipulation thing either and finds I'm making problems where they are not 

Furthermore he invites her over for dinner tomorrow! What the...

S

sandye21's picture

Start preparing for a possible exit.  Your DH has let you know that you are not a priority to him, that the SKs are first.  Separate all finances and only put in your share of household expenses.  Take the remainer of your money and put it in a savings account in your name.  If possible see a therapist to help you.  And I can guarantee the therpist won't think you are paraniod.

I stayed in a relationship like this for 30 years hoping DG would one day prioritize our marriage,  It worsened with every year that went by.  It just isn't worth the waste of your time and life.

Rags's picture

Say nothing, do nothing.  Dinner is on DH and when you sit down for that dinner serve yourself first, just in case there is not quite enough for 3.

You are being gaslighted.  Do not tolerate it.

Jojo4124's picture

Take yourself out for the evening, even to the library

Jojo4124's picture

DH invalidates your feelings, his WIFE, but honors theirs? Marriage issue alert!

Exjuliemccoy's picture

I believe boundaries and clear expectations are very important in steplife, especially when dysfunction is present. So why isn't your H protecting you from his high conflict baggage? Why isn't he prioritizing your marriage? Why is he okay with you being mistreated by these adults? Because he's getting what HE wants, and would rather hurt you than anger his older daughters. The exclusion is both intentional and obvious, and even your own daughter is participating in it. 

What you're experiencing is called Relational Aggression, and it's all about power, control and territory. BM has weaponized her daughters, and you are their target. Each SD may cycle in and out of your life as their needs and current relationship with their mother fluctuates, but both are toxic. We see this often on StepTalk, especially in families that have a lot of females or are quite matriarchal. The equation also requires a weak/clueless/deliberately blind H who won't keep his baggage in line.

Nice people finish last in steplife, and you are in a precarious position. You've allowed yourself to be marginalized to the point where your own daughter can't be counted on to support/stand up for you, and that's the relationship you should be most worried about. Next, your relatonship with yourself. You've accepted so much mistreatment and been living in the detritus of someone else's failed family for so long that your self worth has likely been impacted. Lastly, your marriage. Do you even want to be married to this weak, selfish man who doesn't value you? He should be in therapy to fix himself and improve his marriage. You're overdue for some peace and self care.

I married a weak man from a mostly female, high conflict family who had daughters. I was too nice for too long, and became the target of RA. I found StepTalk, and it was a gamechanger. I got into therapy (just for ME, not family or marital), let the marriage drift for a bit and worked on taking care of myself. 

Here in the US, it can be difficult to find a therapist familiar with step dynamics and some can be quite child centric. I hope you'll consider seeking support, and that you're able to find a therapist familiar with RA as well as toxic step issues. Read up on RA, disengagement, and please keep blogging. We're here for you.

Rags's picture

And don't forget. Your therapist works for you. If they are not delivering to your expectations, fire them and find one who does deliver.

CLove's picture

Disengagement is your friend. It struck me that your DH excluding his partner is so ok with him, and you mention that is a societal thing. Its called "playing happy family" here on steptalk, where the skids employ these manipulations, to bring mommy and daddy back together in public settings or big holidays, and then they can pretend to be one big Happy Family again. 

So, you recognise the manipulations and the sneaky behind-the-back stuff, and because you are not that kind of person who does that kind of thing, you are puzzling over how to do battle with this. Alone. Well, your DH should be on YOUR side doing battle WITH YOU. He should definitely NOT go without you. HES upset? Well thats because you are making a stand and its uncomfortable. 20 years of this! WOW! You have been on his side the whole way, he needs to stand beside you in this.

As to the YSD and her holding BM up on that pedastal of Golden Uterus that Gave Birth. You cannot change that, so thats a let-it-go thing.

Dinner? Oh boy. Well either stay and let your husband take all that on, or make an appointment at a salon or go to the gym or schedule a date night with a close friend...

Mar's picture

Thanks all, YSD could not come yesterday but will be here tonight. I'm gonna be the polite humming about nothing person. I think you call it greyrocking? Fabulous word.

DH and I are in a complete deadlock now. 

I feel we made it through 20 years of marriage because he could see the manipulating ex, did not downplay nor deny and removed every piece of barb she had in him. So yeah, I sort of expected that the SD's could also see their BM for the psychopath toxic drama creating person she is. Using her own children to get to DH and me. I know now that this was wishful thinking of course. I was reasoning from my own situation; I went no contact with my own mother at about 18 (as did my brother later on, my sister kept in touch a little bit) best decision in my life. I now have an ok relationship with my family, it's all painful bagage but it's not drama or anything.

OSD is on and of in denial and I saved myself by disengaging. Working well there.

And now YSD starting the shit all over. DH sees it all until the point where I say: YSD is manipulating you. He denies it firmly and then comes the gaslighting: It's my past situation with my mother, my distrust in people etc. My answer is there is only one person I don't trust and that is how BM working on SD's. Next he sort of agrees again. No trust issues on my part at all with friends, family, work at all and so he knows.

It's my disspointment that after 20 years of seeing right through BM, OSD that he does not  see it now with YSD. 

For me the solution can be tot disengage from YSD, painful but good. Only at this point I cannot live with my DH not accepting that he's being worked by YSD.

And is that nog a too small thing to leave? 

Major issue is what you all point out and I dare not to think of: my own daughter: I haven't figured out how to deal with the situation. You adviced to sit down with her and talk. Probably the best but pfff, hard, what to say exactly...

Other issue for me is that I'm really on my own here where it comes to BM and DH together at events. Thanks for your support here. Ik have a therapist btw.

It's hard to find a therapist who knows how to deal with the toxic stuff: personality disorders seem to be denied or dealt with in a rational manner: you dus make good appointments about everything blabla. Totally overlooking the manipulation with mean intentions. My therapist is good with that but I've met plenty of others who cannot imagine the shit stuff some people are capable of.

The relationship therapist YSD and DH go to is nog bringing toxic behaviour into the equation, it seems not to exist for her. Which keeps the denial form YSD firmly in place.

so yeah, any idea how to find someone who knows about toxic, step, peronality disorder issues?

DH an I are at: if we start talking now the conclusion Will be divorce. So we're postponing. 

And thanks for all the support above all. I would have been completely lost the last few weeks wtihout you all.

CLove's picture

I mentioned in my comment something called "Loyalty Binds". Another keyword for you is "Enmeshment". 

Perhaps take a less emotional approach and a more "scientific" unemotional approach. He doesnt want to "lose" his daughter. You are presenting a problem and (not to be sexist) most men like to find a solution, and get frustrated with problems that dont have any solutions. A therapist is good as a third party removed to give an opinion that "yes indeed this is a PROBLEM, and here is your SOLUTION". 

I dont have a child of my own, so Im not a good resource in how to approach things with your daughter. She has loyalty to the YSD, so anything negative is going to activate her "Loyalty binds". Also YSD has "Loyalty Binds" to her biomother. So I encourage you to read up and look that up. Again, take an unemotional approach that is solution-oriented. And you might want to introduce the concept of disengagement to your husband. Also there take an unemotional approach that is solution-oriented. "I have been treated thusly, that is unacceptable and violates my personal boundaries, and therefore I am disengaging thusly until things change."

Present your issues (no emotion - FACTS, not opinions and feelings) "YSD does xyz, which is a problem for me and this is how I feel together we should approach it. She wants to exclude me and have you and her mother together playing 'happy family', but you and bm are no longer family and we ARE family, so you as my husband need to take that stand with YSD."

See - problem and solution. You are not critiqing YSD nor him. Saying she is manipulating him criticises her and emasculates him. Take the FACTs. Always refer back to the FACTs.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Movingonisbest's picture

Present your issues (no emotion - FACTS, not opinions and feelings) "YSD does xyz, which is a problem for me and this is how I feel together we should approach it. She wants to exclude me and have you and her mother together playing 'happy family', but you and bm are no longer family and we ARE family, so you as my husband need to take that stand with YSD."

I don't think this is a wise suggestion for the original poster. She has been married for 20 years and has gone through this with BM, OSD, and now YSD. Her DH already knows what the issue is, of course he does, it is HIS daughter. But the only reason he allows his daughter to be an issue is because HE is at the center of the issue. Now original poster's own DD has more loyalty to toxicity than she does to the original poster. 

Original poster found enough strength to walk away from her own mother who presumably was toxic, therefore, my recommendation would be for her to find that same strength and get out of this toxic situation. If she can walk away from her own mother's toxicity, then why in the world would she take on her cowardly husband's toxicity? It's like she traded toxicity from her mother, to then take on toxicity from her DH, BM, and their offspring. My response to that is H-LL NO!

Her DH knows how difficult her life has been, yet he brought toxicity into her life that has lasted 20 years? And the toxicity is continuing. She has no boundaries if she feels the need to leave her house because someone who has been down right cruel to her was invited to come over. YSD wants to play the exclusion game??? Well I would exclude her from my house. If DH doesn't like it, guess what? He would get excluded from the house as well, even if that meant divorce. She doesn't deserve to be treated like this. He is outright disrespectful. Where there is disrespect, there is no love and happiness.

See - problem and solution. You are not critiqing YSD nor him. Saying she is manipulating him criticises her and emasculates him. Take the FACTs. Always refer back to the FACTs.

Emasculating him?? From the sounds of it, he was already emasculated before she even met him. If anyone has or is emasculating him it's BM and his two daughters. She doesn't have to walk on egg shells for them. As for YSD, her toxicity is HER issue. There is no way in h-ll that I would ever let HER issues become my issues. The fact that she is playing exclusion game with original poster, yet still thinks she is welcome to come over for dinner is appalling. She wouldn't be welcome in my house.

Mar's picture

... and for tonight I'm gonna use the phonecall escape as I read here in the forum . Gives me some breathing room to know that I Will be 'called' at a certain time

Mar's picture

Twice posted 

Mar's picture

YSD came to dinner yesterday. She asked about my father (who had a stroke last weekend, serious hospital) which was nice and after some chatting started to talk about stuff that she was dealing with.

She was clearly stressed and started crying soon and kept on crying during most of the evening. It turned out she was in close contact again with her mother again. BM is trying to keep inheritance money for SD's away for herself. On this issue both SD's  were talking with BM under guidance of some sort of coach (as chosen by BM, earlier 'moderators'  were fired as soon as they were showing an interest in SD's). YSD said they had 2 conversations and that BM was now really keeping her promises etc.... My heart sank in my shoes (do you say it like that in english?) BM succeeded again in pulling the SD's into her web. YSD clearly beleiving this time it will all be different.

It was sad to see her hopes that her mother has changed this time and especially how far YSD went on that:

YSD had decided to  move back in BM's house! BM promised to announce when she would be home (she's living partly abroad) as to not surprise YSD. YSD went out of her way to explain to us that this was all very well thought over etc.  It is just back to the old situation again. Completely under her mothers' spell. She said it was difficult to tell us this.

I kept quiet most of the evening - as did DH - and mumbled : there's a lot going on in your life right now.

DH said: BM promises but now you have to see how it works out in practice...

And we were so relieved when YSD left her mothers' house 4 years ago. Now she's back in. It explains a lot about the last few months when she has hardly any contact with us and tells DH that her mother is a really loving, well meaning person. AAAAhhh

I went to bed and let them talk a bit more.

DH asked me what I thougt and I said: well we're back where we were 4 years ago, she's completely in her mothers' web.

DH said he thougt this was a very negative reaction. He is 'dissappointed'  that she's moving back in but feels YSD is in control  concerning her mother. I have the opposite idea on that, clearly. So we had a fight - again. 

I asked if he brought up the invitation of the sorority house party and he said yes And that YSD really wanted to invite me. I said I did not receive an invite and then he told me the 4 people only rule was still in place so she asked BM. And DH said:

'Very good you did since BM will never forgive you when you don't!" to YSD. 

I couldn't believe my ears. DH thinks YSD is not back into the golden uterus womb at all, he thinks she's making good choices and I told him basicaly to f***k off.

Came back form work an he's nowhere to be seen. I've had it with him.

Feels like the end of our relationship at the moment and I'm very sad.

Rags's picture

Re-read your posts and you will be crystal clear on what excitement rather than sadness is in order.

Winterglow's picture

The kid is 24 (TWENTY-FOUR). Why dies he treat her and speak to her as if she were 12? It's time he learned to let her make her own mistakes and also time for her to stand on her own two feet without dragging everyone into her business. When does she graduate and when will she be entering the working world?

Mar's picture

...you're right she's 24. YSD coming in crying and telling sad stories so that I feel sorry for her. Yes, I felt sorry for her during the evening. Not for the first time. And then it comes: something about her mother and I feel so played. It often takes a while before I realize this is a complete set up. The moving in with BM has already been decided quite sometime ago. She's only been thinking how to say it. She playes on our sympathy by making arguments on how difficult it is to find a house (she currently has one but hey,) all blabla. And if that's not enough the card is played that we're not nice enough about her mother so no criticizing. And I cannot be nice about the psychopath BM so I keep my mouth shut. Knowing once she's in the sphere of BM we will see nor hear anyting from YSD for months in a row. That's what's so painful.

When she leaves  - message delivered - we'll not see/hear so yeah, she's sitting here as if she's confiding in us, smooth talking (" oh yes, I' d love to invite you but..") etc. etc. And when she's gone a sick feeling in the stomach tells me something is not right here. 

I know it sounds petty "I'm angry because I'm not invited to the party" but that's not the issue, it's being played at, it's me opening up, being empathic towards here and feeling drained when she's gone and we do not get any sign of her. That's why I disengage and tell DH time and time I do not want her here.

The only thing I want is out of this s***t , I just cannot believe time and time again YSD is as scheming and plotting as her BM. YSD is not a mean person like her mother but she has learned her share of emotional blackmailing. 

Anyway, do you think full disengagement will save my marriage? I have the idea only if DH cooperates in nog inviting her here anymore, nor confront me with her stuff. It is sad she's in the 'BM golden uterus cultus' but not my problem and I do not want to here about it

When I went to bed I already notices I did not feel sorry for YSD anymore.

Mar's picture

This morning I visited my therapist. I told him about the situation and he was very supportive:

He calls it 'colonisation' of the brain: BM colonises YSD's brain so that she seems not to be able to think for herself. I think that word describes it perfectly.

Furthermore he says it seems to have expanded to DH this time in a way that he does not see it clearly anymore. The 'it' is called suggestive power (from BH, through YSD directed at DH and me). I love this word as well because that is exactly what it is: suggestive power.

Therapist says that you have to be familiair with these kind of powers/personality disorders/dysfunction to even be able to see it. That's when I told him I get a lot of support from this site, people who are not familiar with it cannot really grasp the impact. So I'm really grateful for your life lines here, it got me through the last 2 weeks.

Therapist said he would give it some more time - I told him I wanted out of the relationship - since DH saw all this very clear before so he might come around. I will, but not forever. The recognition gave me strength to give it a chance, therapist thinks the moment of the party might (where he will be with BM) be the moment he can see what he's doing and come around.

Obviously he said: 'I would not go without my wife' so also very clear on the invitation topic.

Thanks everybody, I was in a bad place last week(s) and now feeling strong again. Let's see how it develops.

Harry's picture

DH divorce BM. His happy family with BM ended with the divorce.  He married you. He does not get to play happy family with SD and BM.   Never.   So no going to any event with out you.  No limints of guest.  If limit is 4 what puts him over he can not go. 
He should of understand this years ago.  He should of understand you will not disrespect.  This is disrespect. By SD. 
He must understand that if he and SD disrespect you, you will leave the marriage  and he can play happy family with BM.  O.  O. That did not work out the first time ?   

AgedOut's picture

fully disengaging is also telling your husband you no longer need to hear his BM/Sd drama. It's finding things outside the home/him that engage you. Join a hiking club, a churcgh group, a book club, volunteer, anything that you can engage your mind in to fill up all the space disengaging is going to give you. 

I happened to be on the phone w/ the Mr when I was first reading it and I asked him if he'd deliberately leave me home so that he can go to a party w/ his son and BM. I didn't even finish explaining and he had already said "hell no". 

I'm not telling you to leave your husband, I'm not telling you not to. Only you know where that limit you have is. You know  it's time to go when you know it's time to go. Until you reach that point, be honest about feeling how you feel. Don't let anyone tell you you do not have the right to feel deliberately pushed out. You are being left out. You have ever right to feel your feels. 

so I guess my advice is to be honest w/ him and yourself. Never let anyone take away your power to know how you feel. And if you reach a point when you know it's done, look foreward to your clean slate, you deserve to be respected, you deserve love, you deserve to be seen not hidden away. 

Mar's picture

and that is the weirdest part; he's never done nor said anything like this in the past 20 years. We had our share of the emotional blackmail/manipulation which took him som time to see through but never has he given in and become part of the whole s''tty mess! And I feel now that he has, I cannot count om him. 

I told my therapist that I did not recognize my DH anymore and that gives me the creeps. Because him playing happy family and excluding me never happend in 20 years time the therapist said that must be terrible, feeling like the only sane person and still adviced me to give it some time if I could stand it because he thinks chances are DH comes to his senses.

My feeling is he's not going to see through it this time. That makes me said, I'm not very hopeful at the moment.

If not, I'm out. I feel very supported by you and my therapist whom I will see next week again.The manipulation of BM through SD's was only tolerable because we were in it together, there's nothing here for me when I'm alone in this.

sandye21's picture

Sometimes when we are 'outnumbered' by people who see a situation a certain way we start to question ourselves - even if we know in our hearts we are right.  Try putting this is another perspective:  If your family or your child invited you to an event and told you that your DH wasn't invited, what would you do?

As sad as it is, sometimes we have to move forward and make changes for our own sanity and peace.  We have to draw a line and take a stand.  There are three possible outcomes for your marraige:  1. Your DH sees the light, supports you, and tells SD he will not allow her to exclude you.  2. You accept DH's decision to be the 'good guy' with SD and BM, and go on, but I can guarantee you will never feel the same about him again.  3. You decide that you are valuable enough to be respected, give him one chance to demonstrate that he supports you, and if he fails, you do what is necessary to live a happy and mentally healthy life.

I mentioned that you will never forget this moment, either positive or negative.  My exDH and I had been married for 20 years when he failed to show SD that I was valuable enough to him to support me when she was screaming at me and pointing her fat finger in my face.  Our marraige wasn't that great before the incident, but if he had shown his support for me at that particular time, we might still be married.  Instead, he CHOSE the negative path that the marraige took for the next 10 years, with his inaction and we both were miserable.

I am so glad to hear you are going to a therpist who supports you and will help to guide you in making a good choice for your future.  And speaking of choices, this IS your DH's CHOICE, not yours.  What you choose is to value yourself or not.

Survivingstephell's picture

Has DH had a full physical lately?  A psyche evaluation?  I'm not clear, is this a sudden turn around for him ?  

Mar's picture

That just crossed my mind. Another completely out of character incident happened last Sunday: DH and our daughter had a discussion and DH took a really werid point of view. Normally these discussions are fun and they come to some interesting point of view together.

Both DH and daugher are ' sweet souls' (as a Canadian friend of ours calls it, love the term), love literature, music, politics and both are open minded, free spirits. this time the discussion took on a nasty turn, never happened in 18 years time.

This time we both could not follow DH in his point of view at all, there was no argumentation but he hurt our daughter - the topic was personal for her. She was really upset - never is actually, very stable emotionally. Ik took her home instead of her taking the bus/train/bike and drank some tea just to calm her down a little. We both said we did not understand DH at alle, we did not recognize him like this, it was so out of character for him.

There was more lately - he's usually very sharp on how to bring complex topics on to an audience (his work) , I ask him for advice sometimes and last week he said 'O, what you have is pretty okay" . Huh?? this never happened before.

In general he's different in any aspect daily life. Like he's unattached or someting, do not know how te describe it. Emotional as well.

I'm now really worried something else is going on, like a TIA or maybe some age-related thing in his brain (runs in his family). Physicals is not something you do here in the Netherlands. Ik have no idea how to proceed. Get him to see a physician. But he's already blaming me for being paranoid. Hmm, any ideas?

AgedOut's picture

The best kind of TIA is me! (Tia is my name) 

If he's paranoid and accusing you of being paranoid then there's nothing you can do that won't make him even more paranoid. Step back and watch. If, after this event he's going to, his behaviors are still odd maybe try to work it into conversation that at your ages you're thinking a physical would be good so you can alter dietary concerns, etc. (fake it to get him in) 

But please, remember this tug of war his daughter is pulling isn't your fight, it's his. You gave your opinion to him, you explained your hurt, your feelings, etc. I'd drop it now. If he tries to bring it up remind him that you told him how you feel, you explained the dynamic but you won't force him to not exclude you. He may decide w/out contiuously arguing with you to try to justify what he's doing to your marriage, to see it clearly or he may not. Just protect you. Make your own plans for that day. Make it a lunch w/ friends day or a just you day of pampering and whatever your bliss is. Do not punish yourself by sitting home feeling lonely and sad. Get your buns out that day. Start looking now, find a local event to go to, find a concert, a shopping trip, a play, a lunch date, ANYTHING to occupy your mind. Let his actions give you the answers you need.

Winterglow's picture

"Here in the Netherlands there seems to absolute consensus that it is good voor children to have both their parents together at events and it's irrelevant if I'm there. "

I thiknk you might be surprised to know how many of the SPs here have heard the same thing (or something very similar), regardless of their country. Generally speaking, the people who form the "consensus" are usually those who have no experience of being a step parent and who genuinely believe that nonsense. Second spouses are not disposable. 

Mar's picture

Thanks, I'm going away for a few days, starting with the day of the party. I booked a room with dinner and breakfast for 3 nights for me and the dog. Long walks during the day will do me good anyway.

DH and I are on the same page where our situation is concerned: I said: 'we are afraid to talk because we both fear the consequences.'

DH agreed: ' I fear that we will no longer be together.' 

So we both know where we are. And yes, I told him how I feel, no room for misunderstandings and he does see it differently. It's all very very clear. I realized I was clutching at straws with the physic/brain/ out of character stuff. It does not even matter anymore.

I feel horrible in the stomach, I wish I felt something like relieve. That's the reason for postponing as well, I feel like some coward. so yeah, I will listen to my therapist who adviced me to give it some time - gave me and excuse.

sandye21's picture

"I will listen to my therapist who adviced me to give it some time - gave me and excuse."  Time can be a healing thing or it can be debilitating - especially if you are wasting it.  You will take your trip and your DH will attend the party.  He may even apologize afterward to smooth things over - until the next party or whatever that you are excluded from.

Instead of using time as a measuring stick, perhaps look at how many of these events have taken place and how often they occur.  When BM was causing havoc in your marraige, how did DH show his support for you as his wife?  Did he demonstrate to BM that you were his top priority?  How often did you 'give it time'?

My DH threatened to leave on the average of once every 6 months for 30 years. Once every couple of years he failed to be there when I needed him for assistance with occassional medical issues or to support me when I was verbally attacked - more often with SD..  In every instance he would either love bomb or be nicer for a while.  In every instance I told myself I would give it some time - then maybe he would show he loved me a little more, then maybe he would be more considerate, maybe he learned a lesson about how to treat his wife.  Every instance, after an initial improvment, we returned to a worse marraige than before.

When you visit your therapist again ask him to define what he means when he says, "Give it time."  Ask him if 'giving it time' - too many times - is giving DH permission to do it again and again.  Ask him how much time you should wait for a permanent solution, before taking action so you can have a happy, healthy life. 

Jojo4124's picture

Doesnt cause a**holes to change. Ppl without empathy will simply never have it.

Do some internet research. Can be better than therapy, especially unhelpful therapy...