You are here

Truly, maybe I am crazy

Maybe I am Crazy's picture

I have been married to my husband for 11 years, lived together for a few years before that. For the past 13 or so years his ex-wife has been attending his family's family reunions. I told my husband from the start that it wasn't right for her to be there, as there are other family members with ex-spouses as well and they may stop in and say hi, but they don't come for the entire weekend, in fact it felt really shitty. Well this year it sounded like my step-daughter was planning on asking her Dad to foot half the bill to get her and her mother out the 2000 kms to the reunion. If it was just the daughter and granddaughters going I would have no problem with his paying half, however, I don't think it is our responsibility to get her mother to the reunion. (Her mother lives out of the country and can only visit every couple of years). I told him if he didn't put a stop to it I was not going to the reunion myself. So he told his daughter not to bring her mother to the reunion, I was very pleased he finally took my side, however, his daughter decided to tell her mother that her dad said he didnt want the daughter at the reunion. The daughter appears to still be really angry at us, of course not angry enough to not drop 2 of her daughter off for the free childcare and transportation I provide to school every morning. Of course she just drops them at the gate and leaves without any more than a wave of her hand to make sure I am there, which I always am. My SD acts like she likes me well enough, but I am sure this will put an end to that. Am I wrong to have taken a stand?

Craving Normality's picture

Not wrong at all. I would not have gone to any reunions the ex was at for all those years.

Rags's picture

No, you are not wrong. I would provide absolute clarity on the situation to your SD though. She is welcome at the reunion. She is family.

BM is not family and is not welcome at the reunion. At lease not welcome on the dime of you and DH. If BM wants to attend she can foot the bill herself.

Maybe I am Crazy's picture

Thanks for your responses, but now I feel guilty for posting my problems on here. That is what a doormat I am. I can't do confrontation, I can't even express my discomfort without it causing me more discomfort, I need some serious help! Lol

Craving Normality's picture

Don't feel bad. Sometimes you just need some back up to know your opinions are not just owned by you. We would all feel the same way.