You are here

They say its the thought that counts...

grace8205's picture

But there was no thought of skid’s own in this gift.

My DH wrapped all of his gifts and put them under the tree.

One is labeled to me from skid22. I bet it will be the nicest gift I have ever received from skid ever, but I know we paid for it, my husband chose it and skid did not have anything to do with it.

Do I bother thanking skid? Thank skid for the wrong item to confirm that he had no part in it? Not say anything to skid and leave it at that?

I want to believe my husband’s intentions are good but I don’t like anyone to think they are fooling me either. Do I tell my husband I know and thank him for being thoughtful?

hereiam's picture

I think it's wrong for your DH to do this. He should just give you what he wants and it should be from HIM, his kid is too old for this little game.

He should either teach his kid some manners and etiquette or let his kid be known for who he is.

I absolutely would not thank the step kid, if you know that your DH bought it.

If my DH did this, we would be having a little talk. It's deceiving and it's not teaching his son anything.

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

IMO if adult stepchildren can't or don't want to be "bothered" to acknowledge you with a gift, then the h*ll with them! Your DH is just making excuses for them.

And, having been the recipient of some real trashy, dirty, garbage gifts from my Twit, who follows them up with the old chestnut "it's the thought that counts" I can honestly say it is not. Because IMHO what is meant that she only saw me as worth trash.

Don't make excuses for the adult kid, just try, and it is hard, to face that he is a total jerk and will never change. I would not go out of my way for him at all.

watergirl714's picture

Rotten what your husband is doing. Have a frank talk with him. It is important that he never deceive you when it comes to the SS. Honesty is what a marriage needs to be based upon. And he is setting up years of ridiculousness by this poor decision.

My SS (who has borderline personality disorder) gave me the ugliest, cheapest thing she could find one year. It was from the Dollar Spot at Target and it cost (drumroll) a dollar. This from a nurse who's pushing 40. It was an obvious slam. But I'm glad my husband didn't buy me something "from the kids" or any such nonsense as we all know exactly how they feel about me and how I feel about them. These days, I get the SKs nothing and they, of course, are happy not to buy for me. Suits me just fine.

After you tell your husband your expectations, give him a chance to make it right. Hopefully, he'll see that there's alot more to this than pulling out his wallet and pretending that you're one big happy family. That's just delusional, dishonest and disrespectful.

notsobad's picture

Thank the skid, go on about how lovely and perfect it is. Where did they find it? How did they know it was just what you wanted?

They will either dig themselves a hole with lies or they'll come clean. Either way let DH know you don't appreciate it.