You are here

Stepdaughter moved in with a friend at 24

Nelliepud's picture

Hi guys this is my first post. I'm from the uk and have 3 grown up sd (24,29 and 30) and we have an 8 year old together too. My youngest sd moved into our basement flat and brought a friend for a 'few days' 4 months ago. They are not bad step children just the usual problems not bothering with birthdays for me, not engaging with their brother etc but this living situation is getting me down. They have a flat downstairs tv, fridge, microwave etc. they pay no rent although I have told them they need to pay towards bills from now on...I'll see if that happens. However they seem to see my house as an extension of their bit. I got several texts yesterday asking if I could throw toilet roll down, could they come and do their laundry and can they get into the kitchen to cook "because we need to eat". Now I don't want to share my house in the first place but I can't make my husband or them see that they need to treat us as neighbours rather than roommates. I want them to support themselves use their microwave and perhaps on a weekend do their laundry. If they don't like it they can go. Husband has issues about getting to know her as he left when she was 9 and he wants to set her on the right track and has residual guilt about their lack of a bond. We let the middle one live with us and she has a great relationship with him now but it was just her not her friend. I'm resenting everything about them especially the smoking. I hate smoking. Sorry for the rant I'm so down at the moment can anyone help?

BarkAtTheMoon's picture

Exactly what Keep said above. Rules and boundaries need to be established and you and DH must be firm about WHEN THEY WILL MOVE OUT. Have everyone sign a copy of the agreement. If they are living rent free then they should be saving to get started in their own new place down the road. DH can still have SD24 nearby, just not under the same roof where she wants to be waited on by you like a servant. It may be tough, but the next time she asks for TP, tell her you helped her out last time and she'll have to buy her own. At 24, you shouldn't have to pay for her ass getting wiped, or for a roof over her head.

~ Moon