You are here

Step grandchild

Kelly670's picture

My SD is at the hospital having the first grandchild. Her dislike for me has always been obvious. There have been get togethers where the invitation is to my husband only....the reason for excluding me is that I make my husbands ex uncomfortable. Am I wrong not to accompany my husband to meet his grandchild?

hereiam's picture

It's really up to you but if you want to go to support your husband, go. For me, get togethers have never been an issue because my DH will not go where BM is. Period.

When my SD had her first kid, I went to the hospital with my DH. SD swore to him that she would make sure BM was not there because she knows (saw for years) that they DON'T get along.

Guess what? BM was there, with a friend, who she talked to the whole time about her new (4th) husband and her great life (who cares?). Although DH did not want to stay long, having other people there kept BM in check since she likes to prove to others that DH is the problem, not her.

Anyway, I would not let the SD or BM determine what you do. Do what YOU want to do and what you feel is best for your DH and the two of you as a couple. My SD knows, where DH goes, so do I (because he wants me to). Nothing she can do about it.

Funny side story, BM divorced the 4th husband (who she was SO happy with) shortly thereafter. She is currently trying to divorce her 5th husband, while living with a different guy, who might be lucky #6 someday.

hereiam's picture

I know, I know, because new moms have the last say about everything, including who does and does not, enter a hospital.

If her DH wants her to accompany him, she certainly can.

If she wants to stay home, she certainly can (and no, it would not be wrong).

But she does not HAVE to stay home simply because SD thinks she should (which we don't even know if that's the case).

If it's a matter of BM being uncomfortable, who cares?

Personally, my SD has never been so rude as to purposely exclude me, so.....

Disneyfan's picture

Wait a minute

When SM has a baby and doesn't want the SKs to come to the hospital, it is pretty much agreed that her husband should respect that.

Why should that line of thinking change when the person giving birth is a SK and the person being excluded is a SM?

hereiam's picture

No change of thinking here. I have never agreed that dad shouldn't bring his kids to the hospital to see their new sibling just because SM says so.

twoviewpoints's picture

No. You're not wrong in not going to the hospital. You have no business pushing yourself into the delivery and or hospital room of SD if she chooses not to have you.

Marrying her father gives you no 'rights' to intrude on the birth of her child.

Hopefully once she and baby are home and settled, you and husband can visit together to greet the child.

twoviewpoints's picture

" Am I wrong not to accompany my husband to meet his grandchild?"

She asked and I responded along with the reasoning behind my 'no' opinion.

Kelly670's picture

SD has NOT said she doesn't want me there. ( I was invited to her baby shower, two days before the shower I was told I made her mom uncomfortable...so I just dropped off the gift and actually was kind of relieved that I didn't have to go). The drive is only about 20 minutes away. I'm sure my DH is expecting me to go with him. He acknowledges SD dislike for me, but expects me to just take the rude remarks and dirty looks from both SD and his ex.....and not to respond or react. I'm tired of being their punching bag. My DH has regularly attended get togethers with his adult kids and his ex that they've told him that I am not invited. I feel like because he attends, he's sending a message loud and clear that this is acceptable. My feeling is...let them celebrate this new baby, without my presence creating any tension. I know my DH won't understand where I'm coming from.

hereiam's picture

I feel like because he attends, he's sending a message loud and clear that this is acceptable.

By not going, you continue to help send this message. I understand not wanting to create tension, but you are not really the one creating it.

twoviewpoints's picture

At the hospital in the birthing wing is one thing , but this :

"My DH has regularly attended get togethers with his adult kids and his ex that they've told him that I am not invited"

What's that all about? Why are the adults kids and the divorced parents regularly having get together? Graduation ceremonies, weddings (usually new partners are included also), but that's about it.

sammigirl's picture

If you feel uncomfortable, don't go to the hospital or any other gatherings. Let them have their games.

I did what you are expected to do for 30+ years; nothing ever changed; in the end I am the B*^*tch. When the dust cleared; I told my DH I would never do it, if I had it to do over. I would put it all on the back burner; that is what I am doing now (past 6 years). My DH was all butt hurt and sulky too; but guess what, he got over it. DH still gets sulky and pouty, but too bad, his problem; I'm no longer putting myself in the position to be treated rude and ice cold.

My DH won't go now, without me; wish he would go with SD and family, give me a break; so the games never end, but I don't play them any more.

Good Luck. I feel bad for you. It's not fair when they put you in the middle and no way out for you.

(((hugs)))

Kelly670's picture

I just read through all the comments...I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I have not been told I'm not welcome at the hospital (yet, anyway). I do not want to go because of the way they treat me, but I'm sure my DH expects me to.

sandye21's picture

I agree totally. This is the way it happened with my SD also. I never banned DH from seeing her but refused to place myself in the same no-win situation I had been in for over 20 years. It didn't take lengthy discussions, heated arguments, I just simply refused to take part in such a destructive relationship anymore. SD pretty much cut DH off because he chose to stay in the marriage. As a result, DH doesn't communicate with SD very much now.

Your DH should be able to see his Grandchild. If he wants you to be part of the that child's life he needs to put forth the effort to make it happen. While he's visiting his Grandchild, do something very special for yourself. You deserve it.

LONGTIME SM's picture

Agree. After my husbands adult children stopped talking to him except for the numerous toxic phone rants a few years ago I let him know I was done entertaining them in my house. He was free to pursue any relationship he chose to have with them as long as he didn't include me or our bios. For whatever reason of his own he did not pursue a relationship and neither did they. Of course according to the adult step kids it was all my fault as I had to have been keeping hin from them - according to them.

Nothing could have been further from the truth. My husband alone decided not to put forth any effort seeing them. He certainly did not alter his pursuit of his other leisurely activities that also don't involve me or my bios. . I don't know why he didn't chose to visit them and I don't care as their relationship is their business not mine. I think that if it takes effort on their part our husbands just chose not to put forth the effort in a relationship with their adult children. whatever. They all need to own the results themselves as they and only they are responsible for their relationship. .

Kelly670's picture

Thank you StepAside...that puts this in perfect perspective for me! I can keep calm and explain that I'm uncomfortable without reliving all the reasons why.....and I think that might be the key to getting DH to understand. Thank you!

sandye21's picture

This is double standard logic. It's OK for DH to bring his rude kids into a home he shares with SM but it is SD's right to make SM unwelcome. If Skids have a right to not welcome SM, then SM has a right to not welcome skids in her home.

Kelly670's picture

Umm....I don't want to go to the hospital.. My question is helping my DH understand this in a way that doesn't cause issues between him and I. I support him 100% in being there for his daughter..lit would be really odd if he weren't!

Kelly670's picture

Umm....I don't want to go to the hospital.. My question is helping my DH understand this in a way that doesn't cause issues between him and I. I support him 100% in being there for his daughter..lit would be really odd if he weren't!

hereiam's picture

If it hasn't caused issues in the past when he has gone to do family things without you, why would this be any different?

hereiam's picture

Well, screw that. If my DH would be fine leaving me home for everything else, he would have to be fine leaving me home for this.

notasm3's picture

My husband's son's GF had a baby in December. We were out of town. It's not that we planned to be out of town for the birth but she delivered almost 6 weeks early. I don't know if DH would have gone to the hospital to await the birth if we'd been there. That would have been his decision not mine. But I would not have gone.

DH has stopped by to see the baby several times. The GF got her feelings hurt that I had not come to see the baby. My thoughts - Really? I'd never met her. I was not invited to one shower (there were several). The gifts I sent with DH were never acknowledged. And I have never once been invited to their new house. I don't just drop by strangers' homes where I have not been invited.

A few days later DH asked me if SS could stop by to pick something up (or drop something off - I didn't really pay attention). SS shows up with the baby and GF so now I've met both. It's a baby. Cute. But I felt no attachment at all. I have no attachment. I have had more attachment to my friends' babies.

I don't think the GF has the best mothering skills. She yelled at the baby (yes really scolded him harshly) when the baby spit up. That's what babies do. It's not on purpose.

Ben's picture

1) "Her dislike for me is obvious".
2) It's your DHs grandkid not yours.

Why would you even want to be at the hospital?

Leave SD to celebrate her first child without making this an issue involving yourself. It sounds like she would not want you there anyway.

Ben's picture

Hmm, I don't recall addressing you.
Are you just naturally rude? Or the God of comment reading police?

Ben's picture

Ben's picture

Ben's picture

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

I agree - just say no - thank you. Tell DH go and enjoy meeting your new grandchild. See you when you get home. End of discussion. The more you say the more likely it will turn into a big argument or power struggle.

I wouldn't go if I were in your shoes either. Nothing to get upset about - it is what it is Smile

still learning's picture

OP,

this is where you practice loving detachment; love and support your husband in "HIS" situation, while you detach. If you want to be involved at all you could help him choose a gift to bring to the hospital, sign the congrats card...etc. If he pressures you to go, tell him that you love him and are supportive of his relationships and gracefully decline. If you feel like you need an excuse not to go, say that you have a runny nose and don't want to expose the new baby to germs.

When ss26 was still in the military, DH had the option of flying back east to greet his first grandchild. He mulled over it and I told him to go. I of course was not going to go with him because I had obligations at home and knew there would be other chances to meet the baby. BM and DIL's mother were of course going to be there, but they were not factors in my decision. In the end DH didnt go because he didn't want to shell out the $$$. But I came out smelling like a rose because of how supportive I was.

TexasPickles's picture

It sounds counter-intuitive, but I advise that you don't offer any detailed explanations of why you aren't going. Resist the temptation to bring up anything about SD not liking you, past hurts, or how you don't feel wanted there, or whatever. In my experience, the more you try to explain, the more you will become the bad guy. Just be nice, offer congrats, don't apologize for your decision and don't let him pull you into a fight because he wants explanations that he can argue against.

Your DH is likely to resist the idea that you are not going. He may even get huffy over it. When I first started detaching from my adult skids DH was crushed. It was a learning curve for him. Now he gets it (usually, but still he sometimes can't believe that I don't want to be part of the crazy).

I'm not sure how you can soften the blow for him, but I am fairly certain you are right in your decision not to go.

twoviewpoints's picture

"Your DH is likely to resist the idea that you are not going. He may even get huffy over it. When I first started detaching from my adult skids DH was crushed. It was a learning curve for him. Now he gets it (usually, but still he sometimes can't believe that I don't want to be part of the crazy).I'm not sure how you can soften the blow for him, but I am fairly certain you are right in your decision not to go."

See, that's the part that makes no sense to me. As HereIam stated further up blog:

"Well, screw that. If my DH would be fine leaving me home for everything else, he would have to be fine leaving me home for this."

Why is moment/event? Just because his adult daughter is about to deliver his first grandkid, why should he think he should have either his wife or his daughter make an exception? We had one member a while back (since departed the site), whose DH insisted his new wife go to hospital for grandkids birth. It was a free-for-all blow out with the BM and damaged relationships. That member knew before she went she was not welcome, but she went to 'support her man' with the 'ol I have a right blah blah mind frame going on.

Why would anyone want to put their wife in that position?

twoviewpoints's picture

Lucky. Luckymom? Something like that. She had a couple adult SDs and a third one that belonged to his ex (not his biologically).

TexasPickles's picture

dup

peacemaker's picture

This decision should be based off from your relationship with sd. Is it a relationship of choice? (where both of you have mutually come to the table and decided to engage in a relationship with each other) or is it a relationship of circumstance? (both of you end up being in the same space because of circumstances). With that being said...it sounds like a relationship of circumstance to me. Having a baby is a pretty intimate moment in life...If she does not want you in her space...I think you should respect that. Don't wait for her to have to tell you to stay away...( you know inside how they feel)...I would respect that she is an adult, and that is where she is at. I would not be waiting in the background, pining for acceptance (or an invitation)...Now is the time to rejuvenate a new respect for yourself as a person. If that is how they feel...accept it. Not all relationships are created equal. (even in families that remain in tact)...

They are not all going to be relationships of choice...spme people just choose not to...Move on..I would not buy gifts or send cards or do anything that reflects you are begging to be involved with this person's life...You have to be able to walk away...and they need to know that is an option you are willing to exercise..."It is what it is" right now...I would totally focus on something else for now...let the silence do the talking.

Dh should not expect you to keep laying yourself out there like that..only to be rejected over and over again...That is so thoughtless and uncaring for your personhood. If you do not respect yourself enough to protect yourself from such harmful attitudes and exclusionary treatment...then how do you expect him to respect you? It has to start with you caring about yourself enough to stop being the rug for the rest of them...you are worth more than that..and you need to network with others who feel the same...who celebrate you...not tolerate you.

You are the one who chooses...not them...right now, I would quietly redirect my focus to something else...anything else..you need to not make them the center of your attention...you need to choose not to be the audience for their theatrics...it is called individualizing in a relationship when you chose to pull away...and start treating it like it is...a relationship of circumstances...that's all.
There is more to life than step kids. much more....we spend so much time beating ourselves up...questioning every move we make...Is this the right thing to do? who am I going to effect if I do that? shoot, by the time you read all these responses, the kid will be graduating high school before you get to decide...They consume Way too much of our energy.

Somehow, you need to re evaluate the power you have allowed them to have in your life, and push it pack a few more levels...then a few more, then a few more...it takes time to reset the bar. They will struggle at first with your new found freedom to live life completely whole and happy without them...but, in the end...one person should not have that much power over another to begin with...Our position as sm is a total setup for being victimized by hostility...take your life back ...peace

peacemaker's picture

...lol...

Submitted by FruitSalad704 on Sat, 04/02/2016 - 12:59pm.
OP has said repeatedly she doesn't want to go to the hospital. Does..not..want..to..go. As in not go. Stay home, stay away from the hospital.

Have you not read her subsequent posts?

...lol...

and as for it being impossible for you to understand? Well...Can't help you there!

peacemaker's picture

... Grammatical advice from someone who can't seem to figure out how to write in full sentences? Did you examine your own comment above? (Of course you did}.

Yes, Ben was correct...you are rude.
I can appreciate clever, and sassy...

I'm not wasting anymore energy on this...

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

Peacemaker's posts are well written and quite easy for me to understand. I find her advice has depth and meaning.

Fruitsalad, you really have no business telling posters HOW to post, darlin. That is so condescending.

stepmomlee 1's picture

OP, I went thru the same agonizing decision last year when grandskid was born. I ended up going to support my DH and spent hours waiting around with DH & I ignoring nasty looks & snarky comments from SD & BM. And for what? In the end you get to see the baby for 10 or fifteen minutes tops the first day. I wasted a year of my life trying to be the bigger person, trying to guess what games skids were playing, and trying to play nice because I was worried about what skids, in laws & DH would think. I now no longer give one single f$ck and do whatever I want to do. If you don't want to go, don't, and don't feel one single bit guilty. You don't want to go, SD probably doesn't want you there, it's a win win for everyone. DH will be fine, he's a big boy & he's enabled this mess, let him sit there alone. I have had the same experience a previous poster had, once I quit playing along & attending everything (no matter how miserable) DH had much less desire to deal with skids as well.