You are here

In a sinking boat....

just.tired's picture

I am in a sinking boat. My stepkids are grown adults with children of their own and they innundate my existence with their pettiness and irresponsibility. One of the stepkids plans her vacations with her Dad(minus her husband) every summer. She has already informed her Dad that this summer, she will be leaving the kids (ages 4 and 6) with us for a week while she goes and does "her thing." My husband is @ total fault for making sure that all of her whims and fancies are met....yearly vacations to Florida, puts money into her checking account regularly so that she can continue living the life she loves (she probably would have left her hubby by now if her dad had not made sure her grandiose lifestyle continued), purchased the car they now drive, and on and on. I retreat to the sanctity of my bedroom when the gang arrives and wonder why I put up with this. Having never had children of my own, I treasure my routine, my uncluttered lifestyle, my peaceful existence. The planning for their arrival goes way beyond a little dusting...let's call it a total re-haul. My sofas get slipcovered, my kid proof throw rugs come out of the closet and my persian rugs go in hiding, my white bedspreads disappear and out come the dust mite and pee-pee proof mattress covers and like me, the cats go in hiding.I realize it's a take it or leave it situation since I know that daughters will always come first....

simifan's picture

Sounds like the perfect time for you to go do your thing. Take your own vacation n let hubby deal with the situation he created.

Sparklelady's picture

You know what? Yes, if you aren't going to leave him, then you should take a vacation of your own when they dump the kids. Child proof the house before you go, then just get going!

2Tired4Drama's picture

Skeeter, while I personally agree that a perfect house isn't necessary for a happy existence, I do think this situation is about much more than the "mess" that comes with skids and grandskids.

This situation is about consideration and respect for one's spouse and your joint home. Her DH obviously has the SD on a pedestal and can't/won't say no. Taking solo vacations with, financially supporting adult SD, and letting her drop off gskids for a week without discussion and agreement from his wife is a problem. Especially if just.tired has protested it. Sounds like DH does it anyway.

In essense, just.tired seems to be relegated to the "second tier" or is invisible whenever the skids wants and desires are involved. The messiness of their visits is just symptomatic of a bigger problem.

Being upset over that kind of situation has nothing to do with whether she has ever had her own children or not. There are plenty of people on here who have their own biokids and are still treated this way by clueless Disney Dad husbands and selfish skids. So I think pointing that out was a bit unfair - coming from a childless person myself.

whatamess's picture

My first question would be why do you put up with this? And please don't say because you love him...I mean, deep down, why would you allow someone to completely disregard your feelings? I'm a childless SM too so I know the "go along to get along" thing and maybe you're minimizing your feelings because you feel guilty because you think you don't know what it's like to have kids so it's hard to judge his choices? Idk, but you deserve more!!! Please go see a therapist so you can get to the root of why you would tolerate this behavior. I believe you deserve more but until you believe that also, nothing is going to change. {{hugs}}

Rags's picture

Why would you tolerate a marriage to a partner that does not put your marriage first and treat you as an equity partner in his life?

I think it is time to put your foot up your DH's ass and give him clarity on what marriage means. The marriage comes first, the spouse comes before the children. That is doubly so with adult children.

That said, you should be more welcoming to your husband's grandkids even if you detest the mooching adult step daughter who spawned the grandSkids. Time for your DH to quit wasting your joint marrital assets on augmenting the adult daughters lifestyle with vacations and new cars. Better to focus the resoiurces on funding the grandSkids college funds.

IMHO of course.

Pilgrim Soul's picture

I agree with 2tired that there are several issues here. To deal with them, you may need to go back to serenity prayer.

1. Time of the visit: has to be coordinated with you, for sure. How can SD just declare that you will be baby-sitting Johnny and Jessica June 30- July 7th? She needs to ASK if it is going to work for both you and your DH. If it does not, say so.

2. Money your DH gives SD: are your finances joint? Separate? Can he do as he pleases without direct repercussions for you? He is enabling a lifestyle his daughter cannot afford, so there is nothing healthy there, but if he is in charge of his money, it is his to do with as he pleases. If it creates financial stress for you, speak up.

3. SGkids' at your house: behavior: you need rules (i.e. no eating in the living room) that will be posted and/or communnicated to the kids. You have a right to expect good behavior, and to have things your way at your house - bedtime is at 9, not midnight. BUT: having them there will hopefully create good vibes and a loving relationship that will MAKE UP for the mess they produce - with a vengeance! They can enrich your lives, and you can enrich theirs. If they are only there one week a year, count your blessings, if you do not like children. They are your "bonus" grandkids - no responsibility outside of that one week, but potentially rich rewards - warm fuzzies, etc.

As a SD, i can tell you that my father has NEVER had my children at his house, largely i think due to the fact that his wife does not have grandkids, and does not want him to have too much to do with his family overall, and it is a huge LOSS for all those concerned: him, my sons, AND her - she could have have benefited from having young loving souls in her life.

So I would say, relax your house cleanliness standards, do not do the total rehaul, and re-think the whole thing. This could be an opportunity for personal growth for you. And after they are gone, you will still have 51 week a year to cherish your uncluttered existence.

As Suze Orman says, first people, then money, then things.

Pilgrim Soul's picture

Skeeter, souunds like you got it all under control. Good for you! Great for everyone else.

You were neither too passive, allowing skids to walk all over you, nor too aggressive, banning them from the house. You introduced order, announced fair rules, easy to follow, universal and predictable - and created breathing space out of chaos! You modeled how to have a backbone to DH - i am sure he must be secretly relieved.
Everybody wins...

You should write a book about how you did it! Or a DYI pamphlet anyway Smile

just.tired's picture

Skeeter, I am so happy your husband is supportive when you lay down the rules. My husband is the total opposite. He gets furious with me if I in any way make life "difficult" for his daughter or grandkids by setting up any rules. His daughter invites friends with their kids over to our house while she is visiting and tells her father of her plans....who ofcourse says"yes, no problem." I am later informed by my husband that we will be having 3 couples with their kids for an all day affair on such and such day. That's what is so aggravating.....SHE is in total control when she visits! That's why I prefer to disappear when she visits. Sad

just.tired's picture

Skeeter, he does not get physically abusive...I guess you could say he also uses his anger to control. I am the kind of person that tries to avoid confrontation which leads to a stressful existence because I tend to keep everything bottled up inside.

just.tired's picture

Skeeter,
First of all let me say how sorry I am about the loss of your sons. I am so happy you have taken control of your life...so important for both mental and physical well being.I hope I can be as strong as you in order to eventually take control of my own life for a happier existence. You sound like a great lady and I really appreciate your comforting words. ♥