You are here

Should I end my relationship with my stepmom?

frustratedandfrayed's picture

This will be long, but I need to get it out, because it's literally keeping me awake at night.

I was born to a mom and dad, a twin brother, and a sister. My parents split when I was very young because of my mom's drug/drinking problems (I don't remember her). My dad met my stepmother when I was old enough to remember.

They were eventually married, and everything was fine for a while. We weren't in contact with our birth mother (as she was off doing drugs and getting wasted)so growing up we didn't know very much about her. My dad basically kept us away from that. I wouldn't find out the whole story until I was 18, and discover I had half sisters and half nieces and nephews.

Growing up, there was just something about my stepmom (we called her "mom") that just prevented me from ever forming a close bond with her. I never felt like I could be completely honest and open with her. I always kept this hidden, because I didn't want to hurt her. She just has a very intense, quiet, cold personality. Like I feel tense and uncomfortable when I'm around her. It's like an intense pressure is in the room.

I've always been very shy. I wasn't sportsy like my siblings. I did well in school, I loved to read, I was an indoors person. I didn't have a lot of friends. I knew I was gay when I was about 11 or 12 years old. I kept this to myself until I came out shortly after turning 18, because we live in a conservative area.

My parents have always been supportive, don't get me wrong. But it's a very intense relationship. I always felt great pressure to do well in school (stepmom is a teacher), and anytime we made a C, D, or F there were always consequences and long conversations. I never felt like I was good enough for her, and even when I did feel like I was doing good, it didn't last for very long.

Growing up we all did chores around the house. As we got older the chores became more and more until my brothe and I were doing basically everything - folding everyone's clothes (including hers), washing clothes, sweeping, dusting, gardening, dishes, taking care of pets, anything. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful because it taught me how to do all these things, but she was always very particular about how things were done and she grew worse as we grew older. By the time I was in high school we basically started cleaning when we woke up and didn't stop until dinner that night. It was hard to find time to do everything perfectly while making straight As in school. We weren't paid for this until we were 18.

My stepmom was very overprotective and strict. We didn't go out to parties, we didn't have friends over, we didn't do a whole lot of anything except school and chores. Yes, we did go out to eat for our birthdays or we went to the movies on the weekend. But so, so, so much time was spent around family. Like 24/7, except when we were at school. We ate supper together, we went to church, we did everything.

It's hard to explain her mind games she would play. If she woke up and didn't feel good, she made sure nobody else was in a good mood either that day. If she was mad, she would take it out on you. We would have to walk on eggshells around the house so as to not piss her off. We would be accused of rolling our eyes, making a face, or having a tone with her for no reason other than she wanted to fight. Physical discipline was definitely enforced around our house. She would get mad if a dish was accidentally broke. We would get accused of taking something or moving something, even though I had no idea what the heck she was talking about.

My dad was gone to work every few weeks and would stay gone for a while, so she did have the job of making sure we did homework every night and such. I will give her credit there. But almost every day she was in a bad mood about something. She didn't have a good day at work, or she would talk about one of her family members, or one of our family members. It was clear she didn't like our grandparents. Her own mother and father were very sweet people.

We got the news that my birth mother had died of an overdose when I was about 13 or 14. It didn't really affect me, because I never knew her. My parents had taken legal action to get stepmom's name put on our birth certificates.

My stepmom and my sister fought BAD when my sister was 16,17,18, 19. Like everyday, fighting. Yelling, calling each other the b word. She would talk to me about my sister all the time. My sister has always been very vocal.

My self-confidence has never been very high. My stepmom once told me and my brother that we didn't have "any common sense" and to this day, her words still hurt me. Even now, I still get very anxious in large crowds, I took a public speaking class and didn't do very well in it, and I just have trouble with self-esteem in general. I've since worked a few part-time retail jobs. She would also do things like whisper to my dad about a mistake I might have made while cleaning that day, and I could hear her in the other room. She would never talk about anyone to their face.

Fast forward to the last few years. My stepmom's mom and dad sadly passed away within the same year. This was a very tough time for her as she was an only child. We were there for her and I am glad I was able to be there with my grandparents during their last few months and be there for her afterwards.

However, something about her changed after they died. I thought she would be at peace with it, as we are Christians and we always see passing on as a happy thing because it takes us to heaven. However, she became very bitter and depressed, and it was really hard to be around her for long periods of time, even two years after they died. Any time she was depressed, the whole household would turn gloomy.

In the last year, my brother decided to move out and live with my grandparents after we started college. It was getting very difficult to keep up with cleaning the house and balancing homework, forget a social life. He works now. I ended up coming out around this time, and I met my current boyfriend.

She was slow to accept that I was gay. She kept asking was I really sure I was gay, and acted like it was really hard for her to understand. My dad took it better than she did. My boyfriend came over and everyone got along for about a month.

However, she started becoming really strict with me going out to see him. One time I came in 10 minutes late (she had locked me out of the house), and when she let me in the house she told me I was grounded for two weeks and wouldn't be able to see him (even though we both went to the same college and had class together?)

That was when I decided I'd had enough. She had been trying to persuade me and manipulate me into breaking up with him, saying he was controlling, she just didn't like him for some reason, I could do better, I could find someone who looked better, on and on.

So, he got tired of it and asked me to move in with him. So I did. All hell broke loose. I ended up having to stop talking to my parents for about two months while I let them deal with this change and get over it. I kept going to school and working, and so did he while we lived together.

A couple of months later, we ended up getting into trouble with the law, and we were arrested. I later heard that she did not want to bail me out, but my brother actually ended up being the one who bailed me out. My boyfriend and I were split up during this time, about a couple weeks, while he went to live in his hometown which is about 3 hours away and I lived with my grandparents. My stepmother decided that once I moved out, I couldn't move back in with them (not that I wanted to!)

So my boyfriend drove to my hometown and I snuck away from my grandparents home, and we moved into an apartment in his home town, which is where we are now. Of course she was livid.

But something had changed. Now she and my sister were teaming up on me, talking about me in front of my brother and dad. Now, recall how she would bad-mouth my sister to me. She had found somebody new to talk about.

She claims to be "Christian", but she has a hard time forgiving and letting go of things. She still hates my boyfriend for going to jail. Even though we have clearly learned from that mistake and went through all kinds of hell to pay for it.

She unfriended me on Facebook (I don't really care), she stopped talking to me, she pretty much made herself out to be the victim in all this. I asked if I could come see her this past Christmas, and she wouldn't allow it. She totally flipped out, saying she didn't support my life choices, that me and my brother were "spoiled brats", and how much I've messed up.

Me and my brother are NOT spoiled. First of all, I'm living on my own and paying my own bills. Also, my brother and I had to share EVERYTHING growing up. We shared cell phones, we shared our vehicle, we shared clothes. If she had to raise the kids I grew up with in school, she wouldn't even know what to think. We never got into any trouble growing up, we didn't ask for much, we were obedient, and we did awesome in school.

My brother posted something on Facebook about wishing he had known his birth mother, and she flipped out. My sister also went off on him for this post. All he said was that he wish he had at least gotten to know her himself, so that he could form his own opinions about her without listening to everyone else. What child wouldn't want to meet their birth mother?

It seems to me that she has always tried to fill that role of birth mother, knowing that she could never really do it. I love her, I do, I am thankful she pushed me hard to do well in school, I'm thankful she cooked meals for me. I give her credit where credit is due.

However, it's the holding onto the past and not forgiving mistakes that gets me. Anytime I have talked to her in the last few months it has only been to hear her criticize me and make me feel like a terrible person.

My sister got pregnant by some guy she hardly knew, and they aren't even married. But my stepmom is just eating her up like she is the best child on the planet. It's a double standard. She doesn't accept my life choices because I'm gay, but she's fine with my sister getting knocked up because she finally has a grandchild.

I never want to adopt a child because I know she would play favorites and exclude any child I raise, and I thought want to put another child through that. In fact, I feel sorry for my new baby niece because I know she will have to deal with that woman's drama as she grows older.

My dad has been more supportive of me, and he pushes me to have a relationship with her, but I just don't know if I want in on the drama anymore. It's so exhausting. I just want to walk away from all the negative energy in my life, and she is a major source of it. She could be a royal b-word sometimes, and my mind just keeps flashing back to that.

I have never felt like I was good enough for her. She's never had children of her own, so maybe that is why she was so intense about jumping in and calling all the shots in my life. She wanted so bad to control everything, and she couldnt' stand it when I finally got old enough to say no and go my own way. I have never called her an ugly name, but she sure has done some bad-mouthing about me.

I'm to the point of telling her all this and just letting loose. I want to say I'm done and just walk away from it. She always makes a point of puffing herself up. One thing she recently said was, "I didn't HAVE to raise you, but I did!"

Ok, so you didn't have to raise me, yet you married my dad? What were you going to do, sit there while he raised us by himself? We were 6 when they married. I'm tired of the guilt trips and her making me feel like I owe her the world. I'm an adult. There comes a time when you move away from home, and you don't have to talk to your parents every day of the week, right?

Oh,and by the way - it's not just me she has drama with. From aunts to co-workers, she always seems to have a problem with SOMEONE and constantly judges other people and talks about them. There is always, always, always drama in her world.

Towanda's picture

How old are you? What did you and your boyfriend get arrested for?
I am not going to comment on this but it will help to read the rest of your story.

whatamess's picture

I'm sorry for what you've had to go through. First off, please find yourself a good therapist. You deserve to be released from the damage she did to you as a child. I think it will also help you cut your emotional ties to this woman. It sounds like she has some deep, emotional issues that she has taken out on you and your brother and sister. The answer to your question, in my opinion, is yes, end your relationship with her and focus on making a happy life for yourself without her.

Amber Miller's picture

Hi there,
I think the book you are referring to is........

Understanding the Borderline Mother
By: Christine Lawson

This is the book that I saw someone suggest on one of the forums. I hope this helps.
Amber

doll faced sm's picture

Your step mom could be my late step mom, and I empathize with your situation. Yes, you *always* have permission to cut toxic people out of your life. Also, don't let your step-mothers issues dictate life choices such as whether or not to raise children. My MIL believes my daughter is the result of an affair and not her son's (my husband's) child, so she plays favorites in front of her. MIL is dead to me; problem solved.

Kattkatt's picture

As far as how you were raised-- your stepmom sounds like my dad. Like exactly. Hey, guess what, it's probably bipolar or manic depression combined with OCD! We did piles of chores, we would get yelled at for weird things, sometimes spanked or hit for minor things, sometimes a bigger mistake would get nothing more than a slap on the wrist, we never knew what to expect! Sometimes a good mood, colored with snarky and cruel verbal jabs, sometimes a bad mood where doing everything perfectly was not good enough! We always described it as a minefield of daisies- it all looks good until you hit a mine and you're suddenly blown to hell! Things changed for me and my dad when i left right out of college, we used to have screaming fights, he used to threaten all kinds of shit and even throttled me a few times. When I moved out and lived away suddenly things were a million times easier. I love my dad, but we had some really hard times. I will always have a relationship with him, and he will always be unpredictable and questionably stable. I know it, and I accept it, and i can see the good in him anyway.
You need to decide if you see any good in your stepmom worth hanging on to.
She needs help. She should probably be seeing a therapist and/or taking meds. Good news, that's not your responsibility!
If you want to maintain a relationship with her, that's your call. I would probably just disengage, politely, and without making a thing of it, like HRNYC suggested. Just stop going there, don't talk to her, and decline invites, politely. If you are at a family thing with her, don't make a thing of it, just avoid her, be polite but don't engage. You don't need a giant public shunning, and making rules up like "I won't come to Xmas if SHE'S there" will only put your family in the awkward place of having to choose between you and her and probably your dad, which is just hard for everyone, and rude, really, since they are not in the middle of it and putting them there isn't kind. Yeah, she is probably a giant homophobe, and struggling with accepting you and your life. Some folks can never wrap their heads around new information. She is being unfair and unkind, and you don't need to listen to her or give what she says any weight in your life, but disengaging is hard! Stepping back and deciding to not be affected is way harder than it sounds! I suggest meditation, or a support group, or pick an exercise routine that you enjoy and do it regularly, and let your mind relax at least once a week! Don't let her rule your thoughts, and don't sever your ties to the rest of your family. It's not an easy path! Good luck!

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

If I didn't know better, I'd have said your stepmother is of Asian or Italian descent.

Some parents are like that, bio or step, I don't think it ohas much to do with whether she was your stepmother or not, rather, that is just the way she is. Ever read about that Tiger Mom? The Yale professor? What you went through is pretty much how asian households are often run under the matriarch so I'm sorry if I don't find it that strange (coming from that background myself.) Children are not allowed to go to parties, sleepovers, etc. and are expected to do house chores or schoolwork all the time. I began going over to friends houses ocassionally at 14, and it was only because my parents knew their parents. It's extremely isolating. You're often told you are a disgrace, should be ashamed, or aren't good enough, and that you owe your parents (under Confucian doctrine) to meet their expectations because they raised you, especially when you do something that they don't agree with.

My mom's mom (who I loved so much and who loved me) would hold out a handful of sleeping pills and tell my mother to take them with her so they can both die to be free from the shame of my mom not doing good in school. Yeah. This is actually common. They think they aren't doing their job if they go "easy" on their kids. It can cause people to get really messed up, but some do grow to appreciate it too because they got pushed beyond what they thought their limits are. However, when grandchildren come, they do a 180, especially to their daughters because during pregnancy, the woman carrying the child is literally queen--no one is ALLOWED to upset her for fear of hurting the baby.

I do not personally think it's an effective way to parent, and certainly won't raise my children this way, I was raised partly this way--however, I'm just trying to illustrate that it is a parenting style, and quite a common one depending on the culture. I also added Italian above, because my MIL, whose mother is old world Italian, ran her home like that too--with 8 children.

Anyway, the one thing that did strike me was that you treat it like it was her responsibility to raise you and your siblings--it wasn't. Yes, she could have let your dad do all the raising, as it WAS his responsibility. Here, we advocate that only the bioparent actually parent, and the stepparent step back and don't do anything that isn't required to keep the child alive.

I think you should do whatever makes you happy, but remember that there's a sad old lady out there who spent the majority of her life raising kids who aren't hers, who is misguided in her faith against your lifestyle, who was unhappy and didn't know how to deal with it in a constructive way, who raised these children as best as she could given her above circumstances, and likely never was fully secure in the idea that she was truly loved by those around her and therefore lashed out in such a way.

I am not giving her excuses for what she did (which I don't think is that bad considering her parenting style is considered normal where I come from), but what I am saying is that if you truly feel like if you cut her out of your life, and one day she died, and you wouldn't feel guilty for doing so, then go ahead. But if there's even a piece of you that would, don't. Because guilt is a heavy burden to carry in life.

Many bioparents, especially of certain faiths, react the way she did to you. Not that it's right, but I do not believe it has anything to do with being a step.

I think because she is your stepmother, that you were never fully confident that she loved you and your siblings like she would her own (which no one will ever know because she never had any of her own) and therefore a majority of what she does is automatically attributed to her being a stepparent. However, if she was your bioparent, would you cut her out of your life based on what she has done? I think it would take a lot more than what you've written to completely write her off.

And this is the conundrum of the blended family dynamic--no one knows if the other person truly loves them like blood, and therefore takes greater offense to slights than if it were blood.

I can tell you one thing that I'm almost positive about: if she didn't care about all of you, she would not have pushed you all to succeed in school, and have been overprotective in terms of letting you guys go to parties and stuff. If she didn't care, she would have stepped back, let you all fail, and laughed about it. That's what it means to not care.

Sorry this is so long, but this is my humble opinion on his matter. You can limit contact and steer the conversations away from things that would upset you both, but you don't have to cut this woman out if you think you will feel guilty for it when she is gone.

2Tired4Drama's picture

To be honest, much of what you describe above can be applied to intact families, too.

All people have faults. Your mother did, your father does and your stepmother does. So do you and your partner. Likewise, everyone goes through difficult periods of time in life. Whether it's finding ones true identify, brushes with the law, troubling teen years, or coming to grips with death and grief. And all families gossip about other members in the family, depending on what's going on.

Here's what I know to be true: I am a person with faults and failures but I am loved anyway.

When I am ruminating about a loved one's (relatively minor) faults or personality failings, I often make myself remember that mantra and apply the same standards. Part of that comes with age and wisdom, and knowing that people die or are taken from you so you need to enjoy what you can about your relationship with them. Every day is a gift, after all.

I know many people subscribe to therapy for solutions to everyday life and that's fine if it works for them. It is certainly warranted in truly abusive situations. But I don't think therapy will change someone's character or fundamental personality, and probably will not un-do a lifetime of how someone has approached life. Especially the older they get.

If you truly consider your stepmother to be "toxic" then you can slowly curtail your time with her. But I am sure it won't go unnoticed, including by your Dad. Remember, this is the woman he has chosen to live his life with and who sacrificed a great deal to help raise you kids. Your departue will affect him, too, and will probably be most hurtful to him.

Maybe she doesn't like your partner but many bio parents would not either, including those who were perfectly accepting of your sexuality. Especially if their felt their child's partner has gotten them into an arrest/legal hot water. As you say, you were all good kids and never got in trouble, so it would be natural for a parent (bio or step) to become vocal if they felt the partner was not a good choice. Of course, you are an adult and you have to make your own choices, but parents are parents - and will often tell you what they think unfiltered.

I don't think it's a stretch for her to think this guy may have steered you wrong. She may have reacted exactly the same way if you were heterosexual and the person who got you arrested was your girlfriend. I think time will show that this is a "blip" in your relationship history, both of you are now wiser, and there will be no more problems with the law. She will probably come around more at that point.

Speaking of acceptance, keep in mind that you can continue to exhibit it towards her as well. I'm not sure how old she is, but she may be in the throes of menopause as well as dealing with the grief of losing her own parents and seeing all you skids grow up and leave the nest. Add to that she never had children of her own and you can see why they call this "the change of life." It can be a hard time for women.

You say you helped/supported her with her immediate grief over her parents' deaths. But then it was "over" for you; it wasn't for her. Grief can take quite a bit of time to resolve and it's very individual. She may still be struggling with this every day, even a few years later. Have you ever sat down with her and had a heart to heart about how much you miss her parents - maybe she will open up and you will see how much she is hurting.

Of course, this is written from a "stepmom" perspective so I hope you can understand my approach. I think despite all the faults she may have exhibited to you growing up (which ALL parents have) she seems like a solid woman who stood by her husband and fully supported you kids. While some of the things you point out are certainly annoying and may have been hurtful, I don't see anything that screams abuse and cruelty to me. You may describe the chores as excessive,but she may describe it as the only way to keep the household in decent order, especially if she was working, too.

One thing you can say - she never left you, that's for sure. And that says a lot.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

I forgot to even mention the arrested part!

If some guy or gal will steer BD wrong (and parents can sniff that out like hounds) I'd be trying to limit their contact as much as possible too.

Reminds me of a friend I had in HS--I really liked her, what I thought was a cool chick, etc. My mom didn't.

Limited my time with her and didn't really welcome her which did upset me. Our friendship fizzled in the end (through no fault of my mom--girl had issues I didn't see) and where is she now?

A stripper.

They know. Don't know how they know, but moms do.

Generic's picture

I did not catch this vibe AT ALL about this young man. He is reaching out, trying to understand his situation.
It looks to me he has tried his very best all his life to do the right thing. I think it's interesting that nobody has said that perhaps it is the SM that is toxic and that this young man would actually be better off cutting her out. This is his time in life. He deserves happiness, peace and be relieved of the burden of guilt that SM repeatedly lays across his lap. No, I'm quite sure it is him who needs the peace and it's is the SM who has given everyone a run for their money. His father chose this woman to live out the rest of their days, so they should. Father and son could cultivate their own relationship but only if father can quit shoving SM down his throat. If not, the son deserves to be left alone to find happiness of his own. Father and son's bond just might not be strong enough and that is a travesty.

Orange County Ca's picture

People are very complicated and trying to figure out or put a label on step-mom is fruitless and likely to fail. I'd ignore any advise to that end. As an adult you are free to associate (or not) with anyone you choose.

I don't see any abuse in your story just a woman dealing with her own personality while doing what she thought was best for a house filled with step-children. She ran her home like her classroom and even you admit it worked. I suspect a lot of her students remember her as strict but like you admire what they learned while in her care.

Always keeping these things in mind the bottom line is you don't owe her anything if you really feel that way. She signed on just as any biological mother agrees when birthing a child. I think you should minimize your contact with her but when you are in her presence such as at holidays or other special events you should treat her as if she was one of the most important people in your childhood. As indeed she was.

2Tired4Drama's picture

Biggest question of all ...

Will "frayed" respond to any of our inputs, or will we never hear from him again?

I've found that oftentimes the best advice on here is given to those who never respond back. Sad.

QueenBeau's picture

"Ok, so you didn't have to raise me, yet you married my dad? What were you going to do, sit there while he raised us by himself?"

Yes. A lot of stepmoms do this - it's called disengaging.

Anyways, I don't know the whole situation - BUT...

It doesn't sound like she abused you. Just like she was like my BM - kind of overbearing & not ready to let you grow up & make your own mistakes. She was right about your BF - she just wanted you to break up with him & avoid getting in trouble. You didn't & you got arrested. It's hard for overbearing moms to let go & let their kids fail. They get angry when you don't listen & start messing up your life.

I'm not saying it's right - but I'm sure from her point of view she thinks "I was right all along about that bf & now they went to jail & he snuck out of his grandparents house to move in with him". Doesn't sound mature or like good decision making.

Also, to be mad that she didn't bail you out of jail? You're an adult - you shouldn't be in jail but if you are you should have funds to bail yourself out. Seems like you expect that she owes you a lot. But she doesn't owe you anything - & you don't owe her anything either.

Generic's picture

I wonder how many men would go through with a marriage with a woman who made it clear she would be "disengaged" from his kids. What I mean is, regardless of the children's problems, behaviors, manners, mental illness - how much of a marriage decision is based on how much work future wife is going to put in with the kids. Once the fantasy of a big happy blended family is shattered, it's usually too late to end things. Too much invested, too many bridges burned. Do the DHs grow resentful? Do they feel like they were sold a bill of goods? He can't very well say," Hey! This is not what I signed up for". But does he think it? Would he dare?

2Tired4Drama's picture

I like the dog analogy. Could also use "aloof cats" in my case. Skids are rarely seen, don't want to display any affection/involvement with us, and you have no clue about their day-to-day existence.

Personally, I'm tired of trying to coax them out.

Although not announced to SO or anyone else, I decided this holiday season was the last time I made any effort. They have no interest in their father (which is sad) but I guess that's better than getting ankles chewed.

sandye21's picture

You mentioned being sold as a bill of goods and asked would we enter into a marriage where his dog chewed my ankle. In my case, SD pretty much behaved herself before we got married. It was the night before the wedding that she showed her teeth. I never looked upon her as part of the package. She lived with BM and DH had limited contact. I would have never married DH if I knew what I was in for. I wonder how many step parents marry with good intentions, seeing a false picture beforehand, then find out they have stepped into a hostile dog fight? I agree about your views with the term 'work'. The only 'work' that should be required of SMs and adult skids is practicing mutual respect.

Generic's picture

Oops, forgot we were adult forums. You are right! No, my hypothetical deals with young children.