You are here

SD Wedding,I'm not invited

Selly's picture

Hello all,

I'll try and keep this short (ish) as I'm really in need of some unbias advice! So thank you in advance.

I have been with my Partner ( P ) for 8 years.He's had two marriages one with three daughters the second marriage he had two sons and one daughter.The eldest of all his children is 32 the youngest in 18.

His eldest daughter is getting married and I have not been invited.

A little background.

His birth family are all very dysfunctional.So are most of his children, no one seems to have any healthy boundries, respect for each other or love.They all lack actions, talk is cheap.

His children are all happy to take whatever they can from him and often are wanting money, which he hands out.This is the type of relationships he has with them.

After one of his Nephews commited sucide I decided to back away from his entire family.I couldn't stand all the talk of love they had for this young man when in relaity no one really cared for him.

There is a history of alchol abuse,AHHD and other things within his family.

His first ex wife I  knew, I'd known her for years as two of our children danced togther for many years, so when I met my P I had no idea who he was, his ex wife had been with another man for around 15yrs when my  P and I met, so that was all good.

I've always kept his family at an arms length as I come from a very different family than he does.I have always been welcoming to his birth family and his children etc.

Fast fowward.....His first ex wife split up from her long term partner around 6 years ago. To the best of my knowledge she has been single since.

We have all been to one of the daughters 21st together and I had no issues with that at all, everything was good.

Around 1.5yrs ago his eldest daughter (B ) sent him a photo of him and his ex wife with her at the Sisters 21st, 9 which I was at ) the next text said " you and Mum look so cute together " next text said " you should go and have a coffee with her "

Can I please get your thoughts on that?

I was annoyed, I told my P that was way out of line and he needed to deal with it, It was disrecpectuful to our relantionship.I didn't care what the motive behind it was, as there must have been one but it was disrespectful end of.

My P is hopelss at dealing with things and he left it.a few weeks after this happened I sent B a messge asking why she was suggesting he take her Mum out for a coffee, her reply was " because they are my parents " I added that i found that a very odd thing for her to suggest given theyd been divorced for over 20 yrs and he had gone onto marrying again and having more children.

My P and his ex wife have zero to little contact, never any dramas but they'd moved on.

Anyway, it was left.It's been an issue for us, my P lack of dealing with issues within his family that have an impact on us.

Eventually he mananged to have a chat with her about it and bacically he blamed me for having to raise it with her! I was totally used as a cop out.He was only talkiing to her about it as I was upset!

So he wrote her a letter after speaking to his phycologist ( he's getting threapy for a few things ).

Her responce was total gas lighting, she turned it into somehting it wasn't and becamce the victim, so much so she said she was really hurt and needed some time out to process her hurt!

Hed said in the letter, her text was disrecpful to him and his ex wife ( her Mother ) and to me.

Anyway, he got the silent treatment for ages, just before his Birthday in August I sent a text to all of his kids, suggesting they all actually spend some time with him, I pointed out that in all the years I've known him not one of them have ever sought to spend time with him without an agenda, be it money, wanting help with something around their homes or looking to him for some work so they can some money.

I kid you not, not ONE of them has ever called him and taken him out to lunch, dinner, invited him/us to their home, not once!

So the silent treatment from her continued. My P called his ex wife to see if she could shed some light on it, she couldn't but she aggreed it was out of line to send the text messge she did.

This daughter has a habbit of at times sending random photos of my P and her when she was young, follwed by a text asking for money.

Previous to all of this she had asked him for some money for her wedding, which of course he'd said yes.

So the other day a link to her wedding invite came to his email and in the subject line it says "S...... is NOT invited

My P and I have not yet spoken about this as he is away.

I wasn't planning on going as I find his whole family toxic,I don't feel safe around them and for my own mental health as mentioned before I had taken a big step back. ( there is so much more I could say but I'd be here forever )

I had told my P  around 16 months ago, that I didn't want anything to do with anyone in his family at all anymore and that was something he would have to either accept or we don't stay together. 

We have had many issues over the past as a couple but we are commited to each other and are just about to start couples therapy togther.

I love him and he's made so many positive changes in his life, he's made many mistakes in the past too, especially regarding his children.

My birth family and also my children are extremly different to his.

So given, I had no intention of going anyway, I still feel annoyed.

I feel annoyed that she would do this to her Dad.

It's just plain nasty.

So at the moment given how fragile my P and my relationship is I feel like walking away from all of it, I feel like i want the whole lot of them out of my life for good.We have a very different emotional inteligence, as I said he is learning the tools now he didn't learn as a young person. 

I'm tired of being so bloody understanding and always making reasons for why people are the way they are, when infact some people are just A holes.

I feel like she's testing her Father, " Either her or me Dad" that type of stuff.

All his children manipulate him, each other and their Mothers. In fact his whole family are stunted in any form of emotional maturaty, their only form of emotions are talking badly about each other, flying off the handle or being the victims! it's done my head in over the years, hence my long thought out decission of not having any contact with them which by the way he understands.

I have always encourged him to see his children, call them, reach out etc. I'm not a jealous person at all and don't hold people to ransom emotioanlly. 

it will always be his choice what he does and it will always be my choice with what I do with his decission, hope that makes sence?

So please if anyone has some advice, fire away.

I would like him firstly to ask why I'm not invited.

I would also like him to act as team, our team, he tends to say one thing to them and another to me, this goes back to him not having the tools to deal with life issues.

Is it wrong of me to expect him to stand up this time?

I know if he  doesn't go to the wedding, it will all be my fault, this is another thing his family are great at, blaming others and NEVER taking responsibility of their own actions..If he doesn't go, I will feel so, so bad.If he does go, I will feel discounted.

Please help!

Newimprvmodel's picture

You been trying to be the communicator in the middle of dysfunction junction. And both sides do not appreciate your efforts. Although I am surprised that your P actually spoke to his D about the photo. My H would never have said a word. He is all light and fluff with his D. 
Regarding the wedding. I would not say anymore about it. Consider yourself lucky and plan a great day/weekend for yourself. 
I would simply let the chips fall as they may. Don't discuss it. Don't even think about it. Life is too short. Honestly I've spent years chasing for approval and you Just can't win. 

Selly's picture

Yes, absolutely dysfunctional junction all round. 
My partner and I are cut from a different cloth indeed.  I've always kept my mouth shut around his family and kids, he's 3 younger children have all stolen from me in the past too. 
The problem is my P lack of dealing with things. 
It's not that hard to communicate with others, something his entire family lack. I guess it's like pushing water up a hill. 
I feel sad about it, however I'm getting closer to not wanting any of them in my life, including my P

ESMOD's picture

Nutshell response here.

1.  You didn't need to contact his daughter about that picture.. whether it was meant rudely or not.. he should have dealt with it.. you inserted yourself.. and there is really no way that was going to go well.

2.  You don't like these people.. they aren't "family" to you.  I would not be at all concerned that I was not obligated to go to the wedding.. your SO can go as it is his daughter.. and either you can trust him to act appropriately with them.. defend you if needed.. or you can't.. in which case.. why be with him? or he can choose to not go if that is what HE wants.. I don't think I would give him any opinion or idea other than you are fine not attending but understand if he wants to for his daughter.

Selly's picture

Interesting as my P has said in the past if she doesn't invite me he won't be going. I asked why, his reply was ' because why would anyone do that' 

I feel of course he needs to go, however it would be great if he could actually have a discussion about this with her beforehand. 
I live in hope. 

ESMOD's picture

Well... if he feels that way.. it's 100% his choice.. his child... you can, for your part tell him that you would support him either way..

CajunMom's picture

I agree that you are trying to do the communicating with his kids that your SO should be doing. Been there, done that. My DH is the same. Hates confrontation and overlooks way too much bad behavior. Granted, he's made huge changes over the years but in the beginning, the interactions you describe are much like I dealt with. So, definitely stop with the "trying to fix things." Both times you interjected yourself in your post, should have both been things your DH stepped up and took care of.

Now it's time to disengage. Stop all communication (texting, calling). Let your DH handle that. Start following the "civil but superficial" policy when his kids are around.....treat them like you'd treat the clerk checking you out at the store. As for the wedding, thank your lucky stars. You really did not want to go anyway and I'd just tell your DH she didn't need to put her snarky comment in the invite....you weren't going anyway. If he wants to attend, send him offf happily and plan yourself a special day. Heck, even a nice weekend somewhere so your SO can say, "Selly is at the beach with her girlfriends." OWN that day. If you are the gift buyer, stop that, also. Anything you are doing that a "mom" figure would do, STOP.  I'd also make myself "disappear" when they do come around. 

With that said, after 8 years, do you think your DH will ever change?? Are you willing to continue living the way you? Are you okay with these problems being around forever (as they usually are). 8 years is a long time with no change......

ImperfectlyPerfect's picture

Sage sage sage advice CajunMom - Selly hope you take this and enact it. Go have fun! That's what I do. DH wanted a SKIDDO vacay this past summer - I used to take everyone 2x a year on vacations (all paid for) which I was half of the funds and after another miserable crappy set of behaviors by both skiddos and a DIL I realized I was throwing precious time and resources at folks who were never going to be grateful. Why the heck am I chasing them? I still have trouble and do generous things once and awhile but I get the same ungrateful and resentful results and it reminds me to button my wallet right back UP. Back to the time DH & Skiddos went on a trip - very limited resources, camping situation and I headed 1,000s of miles away for a luxiourous stay in a bed and breakfast with girlfriends near the ocean where I ate at 5 star resturants. I sent photos to DH and wished him a good time and that we should go together soometime. I felt no regret and I am very very very happy with the results. The wedding situation- she's telling you - you're not ever going to be family so believe her actions and go on your merry way. DON'T go out of your way to help on anything - not a wedding present, nothing whatsoever. Put that precious money towards your vacation or staycation...albeit if you can get the heck out of dodge.

justmakingthebest's picture

I hate the term "over stepping" but that is really what happened here. I realize you are trying to stand up for your relationship and for your partner but in texting his adult children, you have made yourself out to be the wedge in between them and their father. 

Like others said, disengage. Don't contact them again and IF they contact you, either ignore it or respond shortly and factually. No emotions- just yes/no type answer. 

Support him in going to his daughter's wedding. You spend the day at the spa- full day of pampering. De-stress and let it go. 

Selly's picture

Given I had what I thought was a sort of friendship with this daughter is why I sent her the text. I'd lent her money in the past, she had insisted i start going to her for my haircuts, she's a hairdresser. She'd told me in the past how good I'd been for her Dad, that type of stuff. 
I agree, my partner should have been the one to raise this stupid text she sent with her. He's hopeless, he wrote it off as her just being ' dumb' 

AgedOut's picture

Stepping back is great, but the next time your reaction to their craptastic ways is to contact any of them .. DON'T! Nothing good will come of you contacting thme and it gives them fodder for their hatreds. 

It's his child, he should go but you shouldn't sit home. Make plans for a girls day/night out and live it up. 

CLove's picture

Anytime I get inside a conflict, I live to regret it.

Steplife sucks. If you were married, it MIGHT be a different thing, but there are two camps, the first camp is "your partner must have you by his side, because you are life partners and to not invite you is disrespectul." The other camp is "disengage and live your best life for YOU. Dont let them "live inside your head rent-free".

In this instance, I have to say that you set yourself up for failure those two times that you have described. When the "are you two cute together" text prompted a response from you to adult SD, and when you texted his kids and took them to task for not having a decent non-transactional relationship to their father.

It was never going to go well. Thats just the way the ball swings in steplife. We are good for anything money or help-related but zero parenting. Its your partners choice to give money and continue with his ATM transactional relationships. Husband over here - when SD23 Feral Forger cant get what she wants/needs by mooching from someone will occasionaly call her father. She called briefly for fathers day. He moved her from 3 hours away...and cleaned it up for her. That was ALL him. I just made sympathetic noises.

Which I suggest you do when talk comes up regarding the wedding. SD is ok to put her hand or for money, yet disrespects her father and her fathers partner. HE chooses to accept it or not. HIS choice. Do not feel discounted, because you get to do you. Leave her to her misery of herself.

Stepdrama2020's picture

Be happy you arent invited.

You already know how dysfunctional they are. Any type of celebration the toxic clan pull out more toxic. Weddings are their playground.

Besides if you werent invited, why the F would you want to be there. I get it hurts. But lady the proof is in the pudding. They love to exclude and a wedding is their perfect opportunity.

Be kind to yourself.

Rags's picture

I would if I were you.

Hit a nice boutique for an amazing outfit, get a makeover and a rocking flattering hair style.  Be radiant, and be on SO's arm beeming your happiness. Those who are toxic and manipulative will scatter for the shadows when you enter radiantly on your SOs arm.  Like cockroaches who run for the dark corners when a light is turned on in a dark roach filled room. Let the roaches scurry.

A parent of the bride or groom should not tolerate being isolated from their own mate by failed family historic baggage or issues.  Even when it is the wedding of that baggage.

IMHO of course.

Miss T's picture

I'm with Rags here. We are in the minority it appears. But Bridezilla needs her chain yanked HARD. Contrary to what appears to be her belief, weddings are not for the happy couple (who statistically wil be divorced and at each other's throats within 10 years in any case, so I hope no one's spending a lot of money on this).

Anyway, about the chain yanking. If sweet sweet Daddy won't do it, you should. Insist on going. Get yourself looking your greatest and practice your most evil smile.

I'm not a big wedding person but if you're going to have one, have it the correct way, which means among other things respecting social units such as husband and wife. And if lambykins can't do that, someone needs to step in and make sure it gets done for her. Daddee appears reluctant to enforce the rules, so that leaves the task to you. Weddings are solemn social events. They're not subject to the whims of  spoiled little beeotches.

Kids these days.

ETA: Here's another thing your DH appears to need done for him: A new one ripped because he's even considering going without you. He likely cannot uttter the words, "Sorry, Lambykins, but I won't attend a wedding without my beloved Selly." Oh boy, spawn's incivility so would not fly with me.

I will say that this behavior answers any questions about where his spawn got their ill manners.

Selly's picture

Wow Rags. I love the comment on failed historic family issues.  It's a cycle for them. 
I wouldn't go as I'm not invited. I think I really need to let them get on with it. I know who I am, what type of person I am etc.  

I could have written and essay on how damaging and dysfunctional his family are. It's the damaging part that gets me, they're all damaged and they continue to damage.  
The strange things is, he's 2nd ex wife is invited! I've got to laugh as no one likes her! 
In fact his own birth family ( mother, sisters brother and step Father don't like any of the now and in the past in laws.  They talk really negative things about them, even the soon to be brides Mother ( my P's first ex wife ) yet they are all invited. Part of me thinks they all need to be exposed, however they will continue to live their dysfunctional and nasty life. I however have a very different life and family. Not perfect by far but at least we all own our shit! 
The more I think about it the more I want to run away from all of them, my partner included.  

Stepdrama2020's picture

The 2nd wifey is invited, and she is not liked by them.  BUT dear ol daddios wife , you, gets excluded. Dang they are good at the nasty fight huh? Good flipping gawd.

I take that as an even bigger punch to you. They want to keep stabbing at you.

I dont blame you one bit for wanting to run away from them all, and your DH too. 

Thank the heavenly powers you werent invited. Someone above IS watching over you.

May the bride get a severe case of diarrhea walking down the aisle. LOL  only kidding, well sort of ..........

shamds's picture

For 3.5 with 2 kids aged 1 & 2.5 when sd's both decided to reconnect with their dad after a 5.5 yr disappearing and cutting off all contact. 

sd's were 13 and 23.5 when the eldest contacted her dad by txt message. This was followed shortly after with random pics of dad whilst married to her mum with a message "just happened to find this pic when you were younger and married to mum" like he was so happy yet the truth was their 16 yrs pf marriage was pure torture.

this continued a few more times, followed by pics of airport arrival hall and telling hubby she was there waiting for her mum and affair stepdad (yup they both had an affair before even separating from their exspouses) so trust me, my husband hates her with the fire of a thousand suns.

sd would then repeatedly message my husband that her mum reckons her marriage won't last long etc. my husband refused to answer any of these messages and it took him another 1.5 yrs before telling off eldest sd that this was inappropriate.

that they had both remarried and my husband had happily remarried and was building a future with me and our 2 young kids and that any crap of bio mum was not of his concern and he did not want her mentioned ever again. My husband told her it was incredibly disrespectful to me and our marriage that sd continue with this crap. 
the most hypocritical thing is biomum can whore around with affair stepdad and marry him whilst skids were at school and didn't even know their mum was having an affair etc yet 5.5 yrs post divorce, hubby is guilted for marrying me and even at the 8 plus year mark.

eldest sd fake cried call dad claiming he abandoned them to marry me and have 2 kids with me who were 2 & 3.5. Reality is they ended contact with their dad and i'm a convenient scapegoat

Sd's went no contact as usual. Now eldest sd goes no contact and will out of the blue send a picture with no message no hi, just plain rude and disrespectful. 

i refuse to be at any meets or family events sd's are at. Every prior outings they'd wear black when i was there. When i and our 2 kids aren't there, instant colour. Its like this miniwife crap where they fake mourn daddy married his so called half naked christian whore. Yup, batshit crazy exwife called me that. 

my husband even told his 3 kids from exwife that nobody wants to be around disrespectful miserable people and how they behave makes him not want to be around them and in the limited free time he has, he's made it clear he will not shuffle between our household and theirs because they refuse to be inclusive and just wanna be petty.

ss has come a long way, but sd's are just like their mum. Eldest sd is just like her mum and younges sd follows eldest sd out of fear and allegiance 

disengaging means i cut off sd's ability to report back to biomum and stepdad about me and our kids, it prevents them interfering and attempting to destroy our marriage. 
i have wondered when sd's marry if hubby would attend. He knows biomum can't be trusted along with her abusive narc family amd she would definitely cause a scene. I have a feeling hubby would tell his son to step in his place instead. But we'll see when the time comes

Selly's picture

I really don't get why the photos are sent! 
I mean I get why much younger children have day dreams about their parents getting back together and all that. In my case we're talking about a 31 yr old! I who's Father went into get remarried and have 3 other children with his second wife! 
He hasn't been with the SD mother for well over 20yrs.  
I get why she has sent pic of my SO and her together followed by asking for money, that's pure manipulatiion but to send the pic of the BM and her and my SO together and to then suggest he should take her out for a cofffee!!! What's that about? Just pure nastiness? It's mind boggling to me. There's a reason why she did it, yet I fail to see it. 
Never had she ever suggested anything like that to my SO before.  
If one of my kids did that, I would be calling them out on it straight away, however my kids would never do that type of stuff. They respect my relationship with my SO. 
I'm glad I called her out on it, since my SO was too scared to do so, if anyone in my life did that I would call them out too.  

shamds's picture

His life away

from the toxic be and bullshit manipulation. They can't accept or handle it so have to remind daddy that life was better when married to exwife.

in my case this was absurd since skids knew biomum was whoring around and had an affair, the abuse etc but since they are narcs like biomum, they need to up their self as being better than everyone else

shamds's picture

His life away

from the toxic be and bullshit manipulation. They can't accept or handle it so have to remind daddy that life was better when married to exwife.

in my case this was absurd since skids knew biomum was whoring around and had an affair, the abuse etc but since they are narcs like biomum, they need to up their self as being better than everyone else

Dovina's picture

Id rather stick a needle in my eye than go to a skid wedding where toxic BS is the theme

Do something nice and fun for yourself instead. Life is too short to waste time on people who do not want you around.