You are here

OSD has a puppy for Christmas...!

fairyo's picture

This is just a rant. OSD has a puppy. I found out from my daughter who is still friends with her on Facebook- DH never mentioned it but I think it was a shock for him too.
As usual, it was an impulsive present to herself. The phrase, 'A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.' keeps playing in my head. Why do I feel so strongly about it when I have disengaged from this woman??
I am pretending I don't know she has it- as I've hidden her posts, but I'm bound to find out. I think I'll find it hard not to be 'caustic,' in my comments when I do.
Why are people so keen to congratulate her when her track record with pets isn't great?
I feel for the little thing, but I sure ain't dog sitting...

SonOfABrisketMaker's picture

And that's where you should stand. Ignore the situation until you are asked to act. Politely decline and then laugh about it into your cup. Then come back and tell us so we can laugh too.

Myss.Tique D'Off's picture

I detest people who can not take care of their pets.

If she mistreats that dog, I hope that every single one of her future boyfriends or husbands treats her in the same way she treats that poor animal.

SugarSpice's picture

my skids come from a family where bm never took care of the pets. cats never got kept indoors. i cant count the number of times skids told dh that their cats got run over by cars. constantly adopting and dumping the dogs on other people, "given away." one time bm bought a dog from a puppy mill. this dog got to be one year old and was "given away." dont ever get me started.

bm bought easter baby ducks (domestic ducks) and when they got to be older (and not so cute) and too much she abandoned them at the edge of a forest to be predator food. she lied the skids and told them the ducks would be fine. again dont let me start.

the attitude was passed down the skids who devalue the lives of animals.

one sd i would not trust to care for a plastic potted plant.

i am glad karma is catching up to all of them.

notasm3's picture

Stupid SS32 and his stupid GF got a PIG as a pet. It was about a foot long and kind of cute when they got it. Those things get huge. Every single person I've ever known who had a pig as a pet regretted it when they got big. And they can live a long long time.

But as I have nothing to do with those two efftards anymore I don't care what they go through.

notsobad's picture

My niece just got another cat. Her last cat died of old age, this one is a kitten.
Her son is very allergic. He was somewhat acclimated to the old cat but once it was gone there was visible improvement.
I told her she never should have gotten the cat, that her sons health was more important.

Her reply?
Well, my son was the one who wanted it. He takes his allergy medication and he'll be fine.
Face palm. Who's the parent here?

She didn't speak to me for about 2 weeks but now is saying she wished she hadn't gotten the cat. It keeps her up all night and her son has been to the Dr twice.

I'm not sure what she'll do with the cat but I wish she'd think before she acts.

2Tired4Drama's picture

I get your rant, Fairyo, as my SD does the same thing with dogs.

When she was about six months from high school graduation and going to college in the summer, she decided she just had to have a puppy she saw on-line. It meant driving almost 8 hours to get it and BM went with her. I am pretty certain it was a puppy mill puppy as the people met them at a rest stop along the highway. Any decent breeder would expect a responsible pet owner to come to the home so they could check them out and the owner could see where the pup came from.

So off SD goes to school and leaves the dog with her mother. The puppy she was so WILD about having wasn't even in her vocabulary within a year! When asked, she was essentially "ho hum" about the dog.

Fast forward to when she first moved in with her now-husband. She saw another puppy on-line and just had to have her so off they went and got it. No consideration whatsoever as to the traits of the breed and amount of attention/exercise it would need. She bought it at a puppy store which is well known for selling puppy mill dogs. Of course, none of this matters to SD. Don't bother to do any research about the breed or find a reputable breeder, just buy a dog that you want when you want it cause it's "cute".

Both of them work full-time, odd hours, and have significant commutes. The puppy was kept in a kennel for at least 12 hours a day. When let out, it peed all over the place and chewed up everything. Their idea of letting her "out" consisted of putting her out on the deck, which had dried feces and urine all over it. They couldn't be bothered with picking it up, I guess. Nonetheless, within a few months they decided that they needed yet ANOTHER puppy - so they went out and got a small puppy of a different high-energy breed!

Now they have two grown high-energy dogs which spend most of their time locked up in kennels. It sickens me that these two poor animals are nothing more than Facebook fodder for SD - something to make her look cute in photos.

She and her hubby are feverishly trying to get pregnant as soon as possible. I can only imagine what will happen with that poor infant.

And I would be willing to bet my bottom dollar that once the baby comes along, both of those dogs will find themselves at the local shelter after being dumped there by SD.

When my own dogs were still alive and SD came over, one of them in particular would run and hide in the basement. Never did it with anyone else - only her! If that isn't telling, I don't know what it ...

fairyo's picture

'It sickens me that these two poor animals are nothing more than Facebook fodder for SD - something to make her look cute in photos.'

Yes! This is what it is all about- a cute thing to use like a cuddly toy until she's tired of it- what I don't get are the messages she gets from people saying how wonderful it is. I, of course, remain silent.

SugarSpice's picture

one sd had to have a blood hound with a boyfriend and got one from a backyard breeder. did not even check a breed rescue. large and very messy dog. 100 pounds. she thought it would be cool to have a huge dog while playing house with her boyfriend. why didnt she just get a yorkie like all the other stupid young women?

any how sd boyfriend kicks her out of the house after she slept with another man and she had to find some place for the dog. dog was a year old. i found a home with other blood hounds who were willing to take the dog in no questions and the sd wanted "visitation rights." wtf?! this was her problems and i found a solution.

thankfully another family took the dog in and i hear he is doing very well.

stupid people should not have pets.

Acratopotes's picture

Currently we have a huge huge fight about new puppies.......

between the two houses we had 5 dogs, then we decided we will not get any new dogs... Well my dogs are no longer, they where very old, SO still has 3... now Aergia wants a puppy and it's a fight, I say NO.. she's leaving in a months time and that puppy will not be left behind..

SO says well you are thinking of getting 2 new puppies, why not just one and keep Aergia's? Humm cause she wants a puppy I do not like the breed, the puppy will not be trained not cared for, it will be like your other 3 dogs, You and Aergia never worries about the animals once out of puppy stage, hell you both will leave for a week, with out arranging a dog sitter or care for the dogs, where as I... I train my pups, I never leave them to vend for themselves, I put them above any human being and my son is just like me.....

Just when SO and I started dating, he once helped me getting my dogs to a vet, he asked me why, I replied for their annual injections... he never heard of such a thing in his life.... so no Aergia will not get a puppy cause it's cute currently,

Thumper's picture

Puppies take a lot of work.

Hope she is up for the challenge.

We are dog lovers and have 2 currently. Previously had 3. Our sweetest oldest loyal girl had to be put to sleep last spring. BROKE our hearts. Anyway, the thought of having a cute fuzzy puppy is not appealing at all.

I would rather have a baby, heck maybe twins, but a puppy NO WAY. Absolutely NO way.

Keep us posted on the Christmas Puppy Smile

fairyo's picture

Of course she isn't up for the challenge- she is one of the laziest people I know. I am yet to be officially informed of this poor thing's existence- but I can't help but see trouble ahead. I shall certainly keep you informed!

SugarSpice's picture

i am sorry for your loss goodluck. there is no way to describe the loss of a dear pet.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

8 years ago, BioHo got a dog for the skids for Christmas. 2 years ago, the dog was having MINOR medical problems so she asked DH if he would take it. He asked me. I just said, "If you want it, YOU have to take care of it. I'm too busy with work and caring for MY dog."

That facking beeyotch had the dog put down. She sucks busted clown arse.

Thumper's picture

PS. Bringing a new dog onto the turf with other established 'in the house' dogs can cause HUGE problems ACRA. We wanted to save an older dog from the chamber or pink juice.

One of our two dogs took well to the new arrival. BUT the other one did not.

Dog 1 protected the newbie from Dog 2

Then dog 1 and 2 would fight with each other all the while NEWBIE hid.

It was crazy. We know we cant do that again.

Just something to think about.

marblefawn's picture

I don't know why I even read this. It makes my blood boil when poor animals are brought into miserable lives.

ESMOD's picture

It's like clockwork too. A few months after Christmas you start seeing the "rehoming" ads because dog doesn't fit into their lifestyle. "needs more attention" "needs a fenced yard to play in" "needs more time than we can give it."

Translation to all that? We got a cute little puppy on impulse and now several months later, the puppy is no longer cute, isn't trained and is destroying our home and possessions.

I call it "knocking the puppy off and trying to offload YOUR bad decisions on someone else!". I mean, all puppies are cute... but they grow up. They need to be taken care of and interacted with. They aren't a video game that can be turned off. Now you have created a 6 to 8 month old monster of a dog that is now an awkward looking teen that has no manners or training.

Think of it this way. Cute little babies are a breeze to adopt out but get a gangly teenager that has issues? they languish in social services and have a hard time finding a home.

ESMOD, isn't it funny how you can relate the puppies to kids/skids?

Cute in the beginning until they grow up untrained and destroying our home and possessions...

ESMOD's picture

Yep.. it is funny.. and people who have kids sometimes get offended when you compare raising a pet to a child. I mean, yes people, I understand that there are differences but in many cases, there are similarities in how you handle kids and pets. consistency, fairness, love affection.. they respond to those things. I think that one way of understanding why sometimes skids have a hard time of it is that they have two masters.. with different rules, expectations etc.. (also masters that hate each other so punish the puppy for loving the other one).

I truly believe that all people who are considering having a child should have to raise/train a puppy/dog. While it's not identical to raising a child, it definitely has some similarities.

marblefawn's picture

I'm more offended that someone compares puppies to kids when there simply is NO comparison! Give me a puppy any day (or an older dog!)

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

Dogs - My Twit and her hubby are two that should never have them. They let them run loose because, as Twit says, "they can go run and play with their friends aka, pack of dogs that runs wild)" When the one got shot for chasing livestock Twit had a fit, called the police, etc. and was informed that the farmer had the right to shoot the dog running loose. Of course, according to the cretin, she was in the right and the law was WRONG.

The USPO has refused to deliver packages to her house because of all the dogs she has being loose. They will just put a slip in the road side mail box for her to pick them up, which Twit moans about.

She lets the old animals get so bad they are skin & bones (old age), but doesn't seem to notice. DH had to actually tell her and demand she put the one old dog down as he could see it was having a very hard time. Now, folks, she does feed them, it is just that old animals either can's eat or have other problems that cause them to lose weight.

They are people that don't deserve to have animals, but then they shouldn't have been allowed to have children either, as her offspring can attest to. When 3 out of 3 are losers there is definitely something wrong in the house they were raised in.

ESMOD's picture

I think that people often like the IDEA of something but the reality is much different. They don't realize the time commitment or the work that goes into having a pet.

I guess it's like I would love to be one of those yoga pose marathon athletes then I look at my thighs..hahaha

Or people who like the idea of climbing mount everest, but are no where near up to the task.

Like the IDEA of having a child. Hello!! Unlike a pet, you cannot leave your 3mo at home alone. Unlike a pet, you have to buy clothes. Unlike a pet, you have to watch your language so your child doesn't say "F*CK" in the doctor's office when the doc sticks a tongue depressor in your child's mouth.

While furbabies most definitely require TLC, they are not exactly the same level of commitment as a child.

SugarSpice's picture

imo the obligation to an animal is the same as to a small child. they require time and attention too.

you can leave a dog or cat in the house or yard alone but only for a short while. (you cant do that with a small child.)

pets dont grow up to go to become members of society but stay like little children their entire lives. having a pet is a different type of moral obligation. they require attention and love just as much.

in our home the pets were regarded as siblings to the skids. the level of commitment was the same. meal times were never put as a last priority for us.

on the up side (if they are altered) pets never come home pregnant, demand you divorce their father, demand the latest gadgets and luxury clothes, or require a college fund.

and they never talk back to you! Smile

Catsmom10's picture

Ugh. I'm so sorry to hear this. Unfortunately a lot of these entitled skids have to have their wants.

fairyo's picture

Yep- I like it I want it I have to have it- pretty much sums her up. She treats all her pets like babies for a few weeks and then gets tired of them.She shouldn't have pets- her children are another matter lol!

marblefawn's picture

Well, it's OK. Eventually she'll take that dog to a shelter and then someone like me will get the fantastic beast for life and the dog will be the most grateful skid in the history of the universe...unlike their human counterparts!

Catsmom10's picture

Christmas is a bad time to get a new puppy even if you're a good, responsible pet owner. I'd been looking for the right gsd puppy for over a year... finally found one...and it was right before Christmas. Ugh!! It was stressful having the extra work of a puppy and trying to decorate and keep the house clean and neat for the holidays.

fairyo's picture

This was my way of thinking too. DH loves dogs and I have often thought of getting one as a surprise, but of course think better of it. His attitude is that it would be unfair on the animal as he works so much and we go away so often (at least we used to) and I think unless you are 100% prepared it shouldn't happen. I think DH is upset about her getting the puppy for these reasons.
My OSD is a very immature and impulsive individual who thinks 'getting' things makes you happy- she was clearly not ready to take this animal as the very next day she went out on a drink binge. Her other pets have been cuddled to distraction for the first few weeks ad then pretty much forgotten about. I don't see how this will be any different.
I think it is petty much the worst time of year to get a pet for the reasons you stated so much going on- however it is not my circus so I will stand aside and watch the parade from a discreet distance.

Catsmom10's picture

Agree but it's just unfortunate her idiocy will affect an animal. My boyfriend bought his kids two rabbits one time (they wanted them), after a few weeks they completely forgot about them. Luckily my bf realized they weren't being cared for and he continued to feed them for a few weeks and one day said, "So, how are your rabbits doing?". They sat there, jaws hanging open because they realized they'd forgotten about them. They were teenagers at the time.

sammigirl's picture

My grown skids are actually jealous of our two dachshunds, because we treat them like our own babies.

They are always commenting about how spoiled these two girls are. I just smile and cuddle them more when they come around. They ARE spoiled, but never neglected.

SD57 always gets a kitten or puppy and then when they are out of the kitten and puppy stage, she doesn't really want them to care for. She pawns them off on her DH or friends.

It's sad. My girls were chosen and we treat them like our own children.

I always knew you could tell what type of person someone is, by the way they treat their pets. People that choose no pets, for whatever reason, are doing right, because they know they cannot give 100%.

Fairyo, I would not want to know what is happening with this pet; or if you do, call humane society if necessary.

SugarSpice's picture

sammi see my comment above on how pets are treated in our home! skids were actually jealous of the time and money we spent on the pets. (skids thought the money was better spent on them.)

you are so right about attitudes toward animals.

fairyo's picture

Officially, I still don't know of this pet's existence- DH still hasn't told me and perhaps he never will but I think he feels frustrated by it- we shall just have to see. I'm not sure what happened to the other pets- maybe she still has them (they are always 'hers'- never the families) but I wouldn't put her down as being deliberately cruel, she will just expect everyone else to do the 'caring' as she expects everyone to do everything else for her. Just a story from the past- when they were away they asked BM to feed the cat and when they returned they found she had been feeding the wrong cat! A cat that didn't belong to them was 'hanging around' and so that got fed. This made me realise that BM must not visit the house too often, as she didn't even know what her daughter's cat looked like!