You are here

Just a few words from the other side...

fairyo's picture

Now I have finally moved on with my life I just thought I would offer some advice that I would like to have received before I embarked on  my journey into steplife. It is of course, only based on my own experience but if you are in a new relationship with someone who has adult skids these are the things I wish I had done from the beginning:

1 Agree at the start of the relationship that you will not meet your partner's children for six months. This will give you time to develop your relationship as a couple, not as parents.

2 Agree that you will allow your partner time to see and contact their adult kids as before. If this is too much for you- ie he/she has to see their kids at weekends without fail then this should raise red flags if you wouldn't also see your own kids this often.

3 Do not ask too many questions or take too much of an interest in his/her adult skids. By all means have social conversations, but if your conversations seem dominated by them, then step away...make it clear to your SO that you are not there to clear up any psychological mess that has been created before you came along, however tempting or flattering this may seem.

4 Be clear that although our children are special to ourselves as parents, we cannot feel the same way about someone else's kids. The best you can expect is that you will be civil to them, but you do not want to be part of their lives.

5 Make sure the first meeting is short, on neutral ground (maybe over a meal) and separate- do not get your children and his/her children to meet until you are comfortable with this idea. Be open to the idea that your separate families will never meet- although this may not be practicable for birthdays and other celebrations.

6 Do not exchange phone numbers with your partner's children, or befriend them on social media. Keep as much distance as you can for as long as you can.

7 Discuss any meetings with your partner as soon as you can afterwards- let them know of any 'loaded' remarks, funny looks, back-handed compliments so that at any time in future you can't be accused of not saying anything. Do not pretend to like your partner's children if you do not, and make sure they know it isn't a reflection on them or their parenting skills. Be as objective as possible and at the same time- if a meeting goes well and you like your future skids then be honest about this too, but just make sure that 'liking' them as people does not make you their number one fan or in any way a replacement for any previous screwed up bios in their lives.

8 If things go great and marriage is on the cards then make sure there are ground rules that you are both happy with regarding visits, gift-giving, Christmas and birthdays and what happens in a crisis.Make sure if there is a potential 'child has to move back in' then make sure it is only temporary with time scales, financial conditions,and basic house rules.

9 Any wedding plans have to be exclusive of the joint children and fair to both sides- ensure that everyone knows this is your day as a couple and not for them to steal the limelight, construct dramas, or dictate seating priorities, or any aspect of the day that might lead to conflict or resentment.

10 If any of these things become difficult then walk away.  Steplife is crazy and can lead to depression, anxiety, self-doubt and lots of resentment. Trust your instincts and if your SO seems defensive or unreasonable then walk away because if these issues are not dealt with at the start they may eventually cost you your relationship and chances of any happiness in the future.

Others may disagree and find these guidelines a bit restrictive but trust me, if I had have followed these rules I might have saved myself a great deal of grief during the past nine, rather pointless, years...

2Tired4Drama's picture

I hope that you are finally on terra firma and are feeling good about the new direction in your life.  I think your tips above will be VERY helpful to those who read them.  This sage guidance came at significant cost to you, but take comfort in the fact that you are helping others with your wisdom.

Although you may be looking back and thinking the past nine years were pointless, try not to dwell on that too much.  It is important to chew over it for awhile, but don't choke on it.  You've already "won" by getting out of a bad situation, acknowledging where you made mistakes and vowing to not make them again.  That's a win, in my book.

Hang in there and keep hanging out here on ST.  We all can use some Fairy dust from time to time!  Smile

Suemm44's picture

And living wills. His was a mess bc he never changed it. Before one marries a dh I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask about that. He claimed he forgot about leaving everything to ex and skids

sandye21's picture

"Trust your instincts and if your SO seems defensive or unreasonable then walk away because if these issues are not dealt with at the start they may eventually cost you your relationship and chances of any happiness in the future."

This list is great!

I would also like to add: 

As bad or 'small' as this sounds, if you do not know for certain, it is worth your money to check SO's background and finances.  Unfortunately I didn't.  Omissions are lies in disguise.  If they have just graduated college or changed careers, give them time to build their career before marrying them.  DH led me to believe that his new career as a chef had a lot of promise.  If I had waited and checked this out I would have found that this is not always true - you have to be really aggressive to be a 'top chef', not conflict avoidant.  I know DH loves me now but I will always wonder if he married me for his own financial comfort and.security.  A pre-nup is your buddy!

Also take it slow.  Unless the biological clock is ticking there is no reason to rush a second marriage.  This will give you time to observe how they relate to their adult kids and to you.  For instance, if someone (skids included) is rude to you and SO doesn't offer support, attempts to manipulate you or tries to discredit you in any way, walk away as soon as possible

A person suggested on another post:  Don't move into his house.  Either let him move in with you or buy a house together, specifying that the house will go to you in case of death.  This way house rules will be easier and no one will be laying claim to any property.

fairyo's picture

These are great tips for dating anyone, not just someone with kids. I think attitudes to money are so important- I knew from the beginning we had differences in the way we handled finances in the past, and it was partly my  financial independence that he found hard to deal with- he wanted me to be like the other three; in need of his dosh. 

I think attitudes to previous relationships is also a biggy- particularly the bad-mouthing his previous wives, because I have a feeling he is doing this to to his new woman about me- and it was never his fault.

The only reason I could walk away was that we bought a joint property and it had to be split when I left- so, yes, moving into a place with equal ownerships is a biggy too.

Letti.R's picture

Hard won wisdom.
Thank you for posting it.
It should serve a guideline for people who get involved with divorced people with children.

Myss.Tique D'Off's picture

I am so happy to see this update from you,  fairyo. My own journey to freedom in many ways co-incided with your postings and I followed your posts closely. Well done on finding the strength to move on from steplife and emerge victorious, flourishing and happy. I have also seen your other post in the blog section and you have every right to blow your own trumpet, toot your horn! I am very happy for you!!

This page has not been book marked...  I actually printed out this sage advice and placed it in the physical diary / note book I carry with me. After being seperated since the end of Feb and divorced in June, I need these words of guidance in evaluating any future relationship. Thank you for taking the time to share this. 

To your happiness, fairyo! Drinks

fairyo's picture

Thank you so much for telling me this- finding Steptalk was a major turning point for me when I realised this was happening to so many other women and men too, and it wasn't just me. Even now some of my friends and family don't understand how I mamaged to walk away what from what they saw on the surface was a good thing, and that I haven't sat around weeping and bemoaning my lot or even demonising TheX. The truth is I couldn't have done what I did without the amazing support I received here, and it makes me so humble to think I can in turn do this for others. I still hope to be around from time to time, and I really wish you all the best in finding someone who feels right for you. As for me, I have no time or inclination for any man in my life- and if one comes along he really would have to someone very, very special. I'll keep you posted!

hereiam's picture

I know what you mean about developing your relationship as a couple, but personally, I would never wait 6 months to meet the kids. Seeing how my DH was with his daughter and how he parented was a big part of knowing that our step situation would work, because he treated her as a daughter and he did not treat me any differently when she was around.

Six months is enough time to fall in love, but then, if he has some weird relationship with his kids that you didn't see because you had never met them, never seen them interact.... I just think it would be harder to walk away and easier to ignore any red flags.

Rules and guidelines can be great but we all know that we do not always stick to them when we think we are in love and sometimes things change and we can't control that. People change. Well, not change so much as they don't reveal who they really are right away. It takes a long time to TRULY get to know someone. Unfortunately, we may not like who that person really is.

Definitely, we should trust our instincts.

fairyo's picture

Spot on- hindsight is a wonderful thing and love can make us crazy. That is why I wish someone had tapped me on the shoulder and said-'do you have ANY doubts?' I gave up my life willingly to him and was not co-erced by him, but I really, really wish I had waited before meeting his kids. Now I know that from the beginning I was just someone to shield him from his poor parenting and relationship baggage, and as soon as I moved from the front to his side he had no further use for me. In the beginning I was flattered that he saw me as a 'fixer' and trust me, I thought I could fix them. How stupid and arrogant I was to think that. 

sandye21's picture

because SD was not too bad (or maybe I was not looking for it) until we got married.  DH and I went out with each other for at least 6 months before we got married and SD showed no signs of the person she turned into afterward.  Even DH was a different person than the man he became after we married.  It was like we were all on a honeymoon before the wedding.  LOL  What I was too afraid to do - and SHOULD have done was get an annulment when the problems first began to surface.  That fear lasted for 20 years - ridiculous but it happens.  I think if ST had been around then I would have taken action a lot sooner.

sammigirl's picture

Thank you for posting these guidelines.  

After 39 years,, the best relationship I have among my grown STEPKIDS are the ones where I kept my distance and never bonded with...My stepson.

Stay here with your progress.

((((Hugs)))))

fairyo's picture

Hi Sammi- good to hear from you.Your words have been invaluable and I will always be grateful for your (((hugs)))) You seem to have an instinct for reading between the lines which some others just can't do. Who knows how my relationship with those people I once called skids may have developed or changed? I will never know, but they will get on with their own lives just as I am doing and I am quite sure TheX has probably already introduced them to his latest 'conquest'- whatever they must think of a father like that I will never know, but can only guess.

Today I had a call from my daughter who told me she was worried about what I misheard as his name- for a few seconds I thought 'Oh God what's happened?' before realising she was referring to her own dad, my first husband. I was surprised at how I reacted with concern about TheX before realising it wasn't him. It will take time. Take care and also keep updating us. 

TheBrightSide's picture

I'm meeting my man's children tonight for the first time. We have been dating a year.  They are boys.  12 and 14.   I know what I'm getting into.  I've been around the block.  The OP's advice could even apply to meeting teenagers for the first time. 

I read somewhere that when meeting the kids, be like a cat and not a dog.

Cats are aloof.  They hang back.  You have to earn their affection. 

Dogs are in your face and try too hard.

Tonight we're going to see some live improv comedy.  They're picking me up, we'll drive there together, see the show and they'll drive me home, drop me off.  The only face to face should be about 30 minutes or so, and even then its standing around and mingling.   

So....I'm entering into this once again.   This time....eyes wide open. 

Wish me luck.

hereiam's picture

Maybe that's why my step situation has worked all of these years, my DH has always said that I have the personality of a cat!

fairyo's picture

This is good to hear- I love cats! I think you have managed this really well and I hope you have a good time, and shared laughter is a great foundation for any future relationship!

I wish all the the luck in the world and please let us know how you're getting on.

CLove's picture

Thats too funny! We used to joke about ToxicTroll's then boyfriend Tweedle Dum, likening him to our overtly/overly affectionate dog. Eager to please. Tail between his legs, happy like he hasnt seen you in a while alothough its only been 5 minutes.

Me - Im like "yo, whats up? How are you today? Ok, on to the the next thing..."

CLove's picture

Sometimes we get stunted in these situations, and when we are out of them, its like we are out of this cage that was too small, or out of a box, and when we break free of the box, we redifine ourselves, and find out we are actually quite wonderful! Instead of having these people's narrow definition of us, we can see a new reflection! And it sparkles, like "fairy" dust Biggrin

I would add that you want to make certain they are divorced first. And do background checks to verify (trust but verify!).

Also a red flag to watch out for is if they take all of BMs calls and texts right away, they are still enmeshed. That is a major problem that I wish I had been aware of before!!!! It never even dawned on me that this would be a problem - this tendency to have to jump through BM's hoops, cant say "no" to BM or there is drama.

Rags's picture

fairyo,

Take care of you. Be happy.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Missingme's picture

Rule 3(a): On the flip side, if your potential mate doesn't discuss his children much with you, walk away because he's likely had trouble with his kids running off the other wives and doesn't want to run you off, too.  No news is not always good news.  Definitely be around his kids for good lengths of time in order to know how they really are before you agree to marry or you will regret it, believe me.  

fairyo's picture

It is a tricky one I agree- when I met TheX I was attracted to him because he seemed such a caring family man. I liked the idea that he seemed so supportive of his adult chidren. The first time I met them altogether at a family celebration, however, there seemd an underlying tension that doesn't exist in my family. We are comfortable and at ease with each other, but they seemed stiff and unrelaxed. All my life I have won people over with just being me- but with them I was never allowed to be me, just their version of who they perceived me to be. It was always uncomfortable- but he seemed impervious to my feelings. Whenever we visited them they was silence in the car on the way home.

I should have seen, shouldn't I, that this was a mirage? But like lots of others going into a step situation for the first time I thought it would get better- they just didn't know me well enough. TheX used to say in the early days that to know me was to love me, but his kids quite simply didn't want to get to know me. I was a complete non-person to them. Should I have walked away at the first misgivings? Don't all relationships have their teething problems? 

I wrote the rules really based on how I would approach a new relationship if, at some point in the future I met someone with adult children and grandchildren.  I would concentrate on the relationship first, and second, and third and would expect the same from him- if he seems over keen to meet my family I would back off. They are grown up and have their own lives, I would certainly keep it that way.

Missingme's picture

I get you, fairyo, but as much as I'd like to "keep them that way (away)", he would not settle for that.  He wants the spawn around and when they are, they're telling stories from when he, them and their BM were all together (and it was a long time ago!) and expect that I just sit there, smile, laugh, whatever while the stories go on and on.  I understand that the truly "good times" for the SKs were when bio parents were together, but I feel it's totally inconsiderate to make the whole converation revolve around the old days, every time to some extent anyway.  There's just no way of not having to be around them when your husband wants it, and so I think it's very important to be around them a lot before you say "I do".  I was around them just enough to have picked upon the not-so-subtle clues that they gave me that noone but their mom was okay with them, but, as we all know, "love" can be blind.  

Rags's picture

Lol.  I see your "remember when" Skid stories and raise you......

My SIL so laments being the youngest of 4 that at every IL clan gathering she will roll out the "remember when" stories from decades before she was born.

"Rembember when grandpa shot the badger?"

"Remember when grandpa died and daddy drove his Cobra at 140 MPH to get  home?"

Rember when ....... Great Grand Ma carried the vases and the piano in the covered wagon on the Oregon trail?" 

And it was not even her Great Grand Ma. It was my bride's BioDad's family that most of SIL's "Remember when?" stories are about.

My brides BioDad and MIL's first husband was killed a month before my MIL even knew she was pregnant with my bride.  SIL is the youngest of my bride's three younger half sibs.  My bride was raised by my FIL and interestingly my bride was his favorite child and he was closest to my bride of anyone including his own three bio kids and even my MIL.  FIL and my DW had a very special relationship.

I finally got to the end of my rope and started dropping the "Hmmm? Didn't that happen decades before you were born?" cards when SIL goes into her lamentation of not being around for ancient family history stories.

I would be far more tolerant if she would just ask my MIL or the Aunts to tell the "remember XYZLMNOP" stories rather than telling them like she was there herself.

smh

Dash 1

fairyo's picture

Rags you are so right- memory is a weird thing. My family are getting on and spend for too much time reminiscing for my liking- they are always taking the claim for things that I know they didn't say/do. My DS posted a pic on social media yesterday of when we were younger, and someone admired her jumper- she claimed my Aunty knitted it for her when she knitted it for me and it was a hand-me-down- it was way too big for her! No matter, I didn't correct her.

When I came back to live near my family I found all those memories so overwhelming, in the end I distanced myself from it- I want to make memories now, not pretend they are mine when they are someone else's.

Maybe,though, sometimes I ask myself, how accurate is my memory? Maybe I'm the one who got it wrong!

Rags's picture

I love history including family history.  But... I also have  eidetic memory capabilities so accurate memories are relatively easy for me.  My mom has always been less than accurate in her recounting of memories.  I learned long ago to let her run with her version.

My position with my SIL (DW's youngest sib) is driven by the fact that I just don't respect her and am highly sensitive to her bullshit.  Of which there is an seemingly endless supply.

sandye21's picture

Fairyo, Thank you for your insight.  As you wrote, your words are particularly valuable to someone who is contemplating a marriage where skids are involved.  It would be great if they could first visit Steptalk before saying, "I do."  If I had known about Steptalk before I married DH would have had some serious conversations, agreements and stipulations before agreeing to anything.

The 'silence' thing is a big warning sign that, as you pointed out, is discredited as "just getting to know each other".  I think we have to look at our initial meeting with the Skids as we would with any other people we meet.  If we detect a certain 'strangeness' in the exchange of communication we say to ourselves that this will not be a friendship to pursue further, it is overly optimistic and unrealistic to think it will get better with time.  When we are in love with our partner we WANT the relationship to work out so much that we delude ourselves into believing what society tells us:  Married people are happier than unmarried people.  Turn the other cheek.  And of course, we look at a future mate who adores their children as a big plus.  I did. 

Our parents taught us to gravitate toward people who were our intellectual, emotional and financial equals.  We were exposed to a Father who defended his wife, much different to what many of us find in our DHs.  In  most cases, if they didn't divorce, our parents knew nothing about second marriages or step children so we had to depend on knowledge gleaned from the media and what we read.  Unfortunately, there is not sufficient or dependable data out there to make an educated decision so we use our instincts and misleading information promoted by society.  Society tells us all children are innocent and SMs are all bad - that can't apply to us because we know we aren't bad.  We're different.  But because all children, no matter how old, are innocent, when things start to go south we question ourselves instead of viewing these people as similar to other a$$es we've encountered and disengaged from.  And because our potential mate is going to promise to 'honor and cherish' us we are stunned and hurt rather than telling them to get lost because we deserve to be honored and cherished.

fairyo's picture

Sandye I think you are spot on with these statements. Our own lives and upbringings do not necessarily prepare us for anything except traditional marriage (maybe co-habiting too these days) having the 3.2 children and raising them in a nuclear family. Despite lots of societal changes- more divorces, same-sex marriage, co-habition, step-parenting etc- being married with children is still the overwhelming norm and I think although we tolerate all sorts of combinations of relationships the ones between step-parents and step-kids is one that is massively under researched and frequently mis-understood. 

I have said many times before that I had not anticipated the issues around having adult skids- in fact for many years I did not even consider myself to be a step-parent. I really just wanted to be in a mutually loving and respectful adult relationship.

I think it is a shame we have to hide here on Steptalk, but when I have tried to explain my relationship difficulties to people outside they just don't seem to get it. You are certainly made to feel it is some sort of flaw in your own character that somehow you can't deal with a bunch of adults to whom you are not related, but with whom you seem to be at only one remove.

I really do think there ought to be far more awareness of what it is to take on someone else's children, and it is something that everyone needs to know about.

A very good friend of mine was a relationship counsellor for years- I would off-load onto her thinking that she had some expertise in this, but she had a successful and reasonably happy marriage so had never known what it was to be single, let alone re-married, let alone a steparent. The advice she gave me was to speak my truth to TheX, but when I did everything came crashing down. I am no longer in touch with this friend, as neither she nor I could deal with what had happened.

What I feel now is that if steplife starts off difficult, it remains difficult and no amount of love or sacrifice will change that. If a strong and mutually respectful relationship between two people has not been built prior to taking on each other's children then I believe it will not last without eventually inflicting pain upon one partner or the other.

I will not do it again- that's all I know. If I cannot feel honoured and cherished by a partner/husband then I will just have to honour and cherish myself.

Missingme's picture

"What I feel now is that if steplife starts off difficult, it remains difficult and no amount of love or sacrifice will change that. If a strong and mutually respectful relationship between two people has not been built prior to taking on each other's children then I believe it will not last without eventually inflicting pain upon one partner or the other."

-------

While I'm starting to believe you're right, I hate to read it.  :-(  

sandye21's picture

Fairyo is so right about this.  No matter the 'solution' to a difficult step situation, there is always a sacrifice that requires a compromise which may be livable but is less than ideal to everyone involved.   In the first marriage DH and BM created a bond with each other before the kids came into the picture.  It's a lot easier to establish roles than in a second marriage where many DH's seem unable to separate or prioritize roles of wife and child.  There are just too many changes in the dynamics and too many threats to his Fatherhood. 

So in the end WE are the ones who have to compromise even though we had nothing to do with the first marriage or subsequent divorce.  In steplife there is always someone who has to make a concession so the marriage is livable.  In our marriage DH doesn't see SD as much.  He can not welcome her into our home, she punishes him,.and I know he struggles with this.  It must insult her that she is not welcome in our home and her Father is willing to agree to it.  For me, I live with the uncertainty that he may one day get tired of the situation and leave.  I also live with the knowledge that I will be the one to defend myself if needed.  DH will not rise up to the occasion, and I know if this happens too often I will ask him to leave.

There is no guarantee that a first marriage will survive - mine didn't, but it seems like skids throw an extra wrench into second marriages.

still learning's picture

Like you, most of us had no idea about the drama of dealing with adult "children."  We all came in starry-eyed about everyone being friendly and taking on the role of cool step-grandma.  Little did we know that our very existence in relationship w/their father is a threat to their mother and a slap in the face reminder that the first family as they knew it is gone.  How dare we build a life with their parent and steal THEIR inheritance (aka every cent they can squeeze out of their father).  Next we become a target for all the family dysfunction, funny how dads suddenly form a closer bond with their formerly distant children when SM becomes a target.  

I wish I had read a list like this before marrying DH.  There were immediate issues but I went along just like Henny Penny, "So she went along, and she went along, and she went along..." I went along for yeeeeaaaaarrrrrs until in desperations I turned to Google and found this lovely coven of wicked SM's I could relate to.  

I wish you a bright future fairyo, you've learned your lesson and done your time.  

Missingme's picture

"Next we become a target for all the family dysfunction, funny how dads suddenly form a closer bond with their formerly distant children when SM becomes a target." 

-----

WOW, very well said--so true!  Everything you said it the way it really is.  So, why are we still in the relationship?    

CANYOUHELP's picture

I wish I had prepared for the worst jealousy triangulaton of my life from the get go.  Instead, I lived in my Disney Step World far too long, thinking everybody would love me if I worked hard to please them.  I wasted precious minutes in my life, added unnecessary stress and emotion, only to reinforce their crazy antics to make me feel like a big pile of zero family dog crap, over and over again. Don't waste your life on people who purposely take away your joy and happiness. It is horrible for your health and DH could care less how it effects you.  He is only working to please them, he thinks he has you in the bag; (more likely obvious to you).  Nobody deserves to be the family trashed outlier, especially if you have done your best to be included and liked.  Erase the family psychosis completely from your life and if DH cannot support you (or step up, which is doubtful); erase him too.  Life is short and this site is a God send.

fairyo's picture

None of us prepared for the mess of step-life that is for sure- and you sum it up so well. It is eight months since I left and what you say about DH thinking he had me in the bag is spot on- because once I was out of that bag he wanted nothing more to do with me. Even his children made no attempt to communicate with me which speaks volumes about their feelings for me and for their dad.

Now I am very content in a home of my own and surrounded by people who want my company. I hardly think of him. I stay here because I know how difficult it was to leave him. but want others to know it can be done.

2Tired4Drama's picture

...from out of your DH's life.   It makes me wonder about people like this - are they truly indifferent to the fact their partner is life is gone?  Or are they so emotionally bankrupt they are no longer capable of experiencing any true emotion.  Same goes for skids.

Personally, I think they are incapable of true emotions.  For whatever the reasons, these skids seems dulled to the nuances of basic human interaction.  I do think that it might often be driven by parental alienation, which can even happen in in-tact families.  When mommy/daddy makes the kid(s) the whole focus of their being, I think it ruins them.   Thus, if you don't put the skids on a pedestal and worship at their feet, you are of no value to them.   Even bending over backwards isn't enough - they expect a one-way worshipful "relationship" like the one with the parent.

This is the trap that many stepparents find themselves in.  I have found disengagement works for the most part but it certainly isn't a solution.  Even then, you still hear/see/experience things the adult skids do, worming its way into your psyche if you let it.  

What you've done, Fairy, is the ultimate disengagement - and the only TRUE solution to unrelenting spouses and their children who want to use us as trampolines.  Sometimes you have to just jump off the ride and call it a day, and get back onto calm and level ground so you can move forward.  Congrats to you for doing so!