You are here

OMG.... I knew we would get to the reason.. Need to vent part 2

Sandybeaches's picture

So the reason for the contact last week.   SD wants a new car.  Of course we are not buying it but I am thinking she wanted her father to co-sign which is not going to happen.  He has paid for enough and thank God feels that way too !! So SD wants to try to get a loan.  So she wants to run a free credit report before she goes to a bank. She doesn’t know how to do this and doesn't have a computer.  She used our computer.  I just over see it, I don’t type anything so that technically she did it herself.   So, immediately all of these red stop signs pop up.  I have never seen this before.  More than 2 dozen accounts with negative comments and some charge off and collections.

SD says that the accounts are her mothers.  SO BM has charged up everything from Computers to direct TV and cell phones and none of it belongs to SD according to her.  Which is likely true for some of it,  because SD was only 18 when some of it was charged.  I just sit there sick to my stomach trying to imagine who would do this to their child but also wishing we had not gotten involved.  This is BM’s problem to fix.  We are not paying for any of it.  While I felt very bad for SD at first she did not seem surprised about the accounts she said it very matter of factly.  Since this all happened, she has been falling all over BM telling my SIL Sunday that she thinks her mother is wonderful and she doesn’t know what she would do without her. This makes my blood boil! As she treats her father terribly! 

I think she knew full well about her credit report.  I think it is possible that she and BM schemed it up to have us run the credit so that DH would sign for the loan.  I think she let or at least knew BM did it not realizing that BM wouldn’t pay it and how it would affect her. I even think that SD has charged some of it too knowing they would try to get DH to bail her out and get her a car loan.  

Step kids are toxic.  Back story they are in their later twenties, and BM is toxic and harassing and has been blocked from our phones since the youngest turned 18. She is crazy and harasses us every chance she gets even still after of the these years.  We tried with the kids but she and her craziness always won.  She was more fun than us wanting to be their friend and my husband and I with rules that's no fun.   They think she is WONDERFUL NOT MATTER WHAT SHE DOES.

Constant drama!!! Now DH is sorry we helped run the credit because he thinks that SD blames us because we are the ones that brought it to her attention.  Really? I am tired of this and tired of getting the blame because they never do the right thing.  It is choices they all make!!! 

I told SD, do not tell BM we helped you run your credit and I gave her, her options on fixing it which was you've got a choice.  You would have to either dispute it all and your mother would get in trouble, or pay it off check with a credit counselor and set up a payment plan, or go to your mother and say hey I wanted to get a car and this is what my credit report shows and you have to pay this!! 

So sick of the drama landing at our front door!!  DH is always on board with me at first, but then starts to feel sorry for SK's and gives into them and gets mad at me. 

Harry's picture

SD knew about what her BM did.  They just are running out of people.  SD wants a car, you Co-signing is the only way she can do it.  She knows that.

please don't do it, it in black and white they never pay there bills.  You will be paying for that car 

Sandybeaches's picture

I think he at least gets that!!  I don't think he would do that!!

Missingme's picture

Hopefully you're right that he won't let the guilt he carries such him into enabling his spawn!  What a shizzy situation you have.  If he does it, I would seriously consider leaving.  

hereiam's picture

She couldn't have used her phone to run a credit report? A library? A friend's computer?

beebeel's picture

Right? The whole thing was a setup. SD probably did ruin her own credit, but is trying to blame it on mom to get sympathy out of dad. That's why she is still singing mom's praises because if bm really had done this, she would be extremely angry with her. Bm may be in on the plot, but I wouldn't trust a single thing this chick says or does.

Sandybeaches's picture

I get what you're saying but I do think BM did at least some of it.  SD is on our cell phone plan so no reason to have a cell phone and she has no need for Direct TV she lives with BM.  Some of the accounts are old when SD was too young.  Also her student loans are on there in collections too and BM took us to court and said she paid them off and wanted us to pay her back at least half.  She has paid nothing they are in collections.  Also BM did do this to DH when they were married.  He had a boat load of bills that were not his when they got divorced.

While I do think SD knew about it and shared in some of things the credit cards purchased, she is very immature and I don't think she understands even now this entire situation and what will happen if it is not paid off.  

beebeel's picture

Holy crap. Well, she's in her mid to late-20s now, right? Sd should understand the severity of this by now, "immature" or not. She is allowing it. 

What a poor excuse for a parent. I would make it very clear to my DH that any efforts by him to enable these women would be met with separation: either his head from his body or myself from the marriage! 

CompletelyPuzzled's picture

If she is in her mid to late 20s and some of this was from when she was 18 or 19, it may be passed the statue of limitations.  It depends on your state.  Your SD should dispute anything that is older, as it will probably fall off her credit report.

Its crappy that she would blame you for bringing it to her attention.  Most likely, she thought this would garner enough sympathy that her dad would cave and co-sign. If I were your DH, I'd offer to help her find out what rights she has and if anything will fall off her credit report.  Other than that, she needs to do it on her own.

Sandybeaches's picture

Hahahaha now that was good !!!!  Loved it!!  Yes those would be the only 2 options!!!

Sandybeaches's picture

I didn't know it would turn out this way hind sight ..... I wish she had!

tog redux's picture

Now, I will give my DH credit, he would have said point blank to SS19: "You know this is a crime right? And your mother has now ruined your credit? And if you think I'm co-signing a loan, you are sadly mistaken."

But he's always been direct with SS and refuses to let his fear of losing him stop him from being a parent. 

I don't think they planned this, but even if SD knew, she can't let anything bad in about BM or her whole house of cards world will come crashing down.  All DH can do is stop letting them use him.

Sandybeaches's picture

However I think it could have been a set up...  

Unfortunatley I don't think DH is at the stafe your DH is with the fear.  You however have given me a whole new perspective on this.  I see it from a whole new angle with fear card.  

Wish my DH could have said that! we would not be where are today ... not talking 

tog redux's picture

I used to think my DH was too hard on SS and that he needed to be less so since BM was such an alienator - now I appreciate that he has never given up being a parent because of fear.  Yes, he fears losing him - but he seems to fear losing his own self-respect more.

Sandybeaches's picture

My DH could get to that or at the very least not get mad at me over them!!

Another Holiday probably runined!

Missingme's picture

Well said.  Your DH wants to retain his own self respect--count yourself fortunate.  If only all DH realized that guilty, enabling behavior deprives them of respect from most close others to include the Skids who are the enabled.   

Movingonisbest's picture

I think it is so unfortunate and so disrespectful for an adult kid to try to manipulate his or her father like this. I wouldn't help her. She can go get 2 jobs and figure it out herself. 

Sandybeaches's picture

If my DH givies her anything toward those bills I would be furious!

Newimprvmodel's picture

is there anyway to just let DH handle the adult kids as he sees fit but then you are free to manage your own kids?  There is no way around that of course each parent will come down on the side of their own child. An impossible situation.  My DH and I mostly have separate finances. We both make good money. I told him I don’t want to hear about it. But likewise I am free to use my money. Maybe each partner has a separate account and if they want to blow it all on a kid. They can. It’s just so damn devisive. 

Sandybeaches's picture

I get what you are saying but it isn't just about his kids.  It is about how he treats me during it.  It is also impossible to separate some of the issues as it is OUR money and OUR household that it all disrupts.

As far as his kid verses my child first they are all adults my son and step-son are married SD isn't.  So they are all old enough to not be causing these type of teenage issues.  I would have no problem saying when my son is wrong I was happy to treat all of the kids the same.  I felt it harder to say hey take your shoes off to my step-son then to my son as step-son didn't want to and his father let him because he didn't want to.  It was always walking on eggshells.  

Rags's picture

At some point the baggage inherited from parents becomes the adult kid's to deal with.  

Now is the time for SD to start adulting.  Long past time.

Sandybeaches's picture

I just don't see these kids ever growing up and facing life without being victims.  It is sad.  I saw DH separating himself from it and I didn't see him falling back in.  I think I am surprised by that and now somehow have the feeling that he never will.  

Funny it seems the only one he doesn't have any allowances for is me.  SK can do anything and he doesn't stop talking to them.  I give any opinion or have any feeling and I get the silent treatment.  

SacrificialLamb's picture

These guys don't want a reminder of their poor parenting and failures to launch.  A common theme on this site is that if we bring up their poorly behaved children, it's a problem, but they can do it.  Be silent, stay away, let him deal with it on his own.  I told my DH if he is going to be snippy towards me about things that have nothing to do with me, I will immediately pack my bags and head to the $400/night resort down on the water so he can sulk in privacy. He got the message.

still learning's picture

Be silent, stay away, let him deal with it on his own.  

Yes, this is the best advice and exactly how my therapist told me to deal with DH and his issues with his adult son.  Once the SM is involved it gives DH and skid someone else to blame.  My response now is either "Huh, mmmm or wow" when DH tells me about something stupid ss had done.  I don't give my opinion, get involved, or advise anymore.  He gets to deal with precious prince all on his own.  I'll be with Lamb down at the resort Wink