You are here

Legal Question sort of about pregnant adult SD

paintedwings's picture

Well my husband and I have a problem.

I will try and be short, My husband and I raised his daughter, she is now 19. She has always had some mental issues. Really am not sure what, we been getting her help since she has been 13 but she has been manipulating everyone, mostly for the attention whether its good or bad.
(IE: She told her brother she hears voices (this was when she was 14) and one day she wrote all over her self and her clothes "Die Jackie Die" and she said the voices told her too, so we immediately got her help, after months of seeing psychiatrist and her on medication he told us it didnt make sense she didnt fit any of the "Stereo types" well she eventually admired she made it all up. And this is only 1 incident of many years of them)

After she graduate she got worse she would purposely make up stuff to make my husband and I fight with each other, tell me one thing and him another, she would not work, would not go to college. So we told her she needed to move out.
We took her to mothers whom she never had a good relationship with, in fact she never saw her mother the last few years but we really could not dump her on the streets. Her mother never really was a mother to her, in fact while she pregnant with her she tried many times to miscarry her and ignored her after her birth so my husband was really all she knew as a parent till I came along.
Now with all her changes and her massive mood swings she has threaten to kill me along with some of her friends (they arent friends anymore), in fact with her friend she made a police report because it got so bad. I just ignored it, but she has said since we told her to move that she would beat me up or kill me. (I am putting it nicely)

I have pretty much cut her out of my life but today she called my husband and told him she was pregnant.

This made me so sad. She is not ready mentally or financially for it. Her mother's family is ok with it and will keep taking care of her (when they should boot her out), my SD has also been threatening her mother just the other night her mother called us scared that SD had called her and said "If you are home when I get there am gonna punch you in face" she never did and of course her mother forgave her, but I think her mother is scared of her and her family is just so happy to have her in their lives they wont kick her out.

We have begged SD and her mother to get back into counseling which she quit when she left our home. Now I am worried about this poor child she is carrying.

I am not to sure where to turn too for advice, should I just let this go, is there anything I can legally to get my SD into counseling I dont know making the state make her do it, I doubt I could take her child away her mothers family would step in, but I am truly worried of what is going to happen, or am I really just stuck to watch this horror show unfold?

anita...sigh's picture

We have an identical situation that happened to us with OSD20. She is bipolar, conduct disorder, oppisitional disorder, borderline mentally retarded. She had a baby at 16. Our local CPS almost took the baby at birth but she complied with conditions. Now that she's older, she has settled right down and is very pleasant to be around. Hopefully, your SD will experience similar growth.

Good luck

paintedwings's picture

Thank you I will look at the NAMI website right away, see if anything there could help us out.

I doubt she is considered retarded at all, in fact she was high honor roll most of her high school grades, she is quite bright when she wants to be but maybe bipolar is possible but I dont think so either. Its probably some sort of emotional disorder or something to do with wanting attention
Because sadly I do think she got pregnant on purpose, her older sister who is 22 and almost graduate of college for a teaching degree is also pregnant, but both families are ok with it (not thrilled but ok lol), she has a good boyfriend who works hard and always has and she is pretty much done with college and plans to finish her last year this year, when she gives birth she has already worked it out with her teachers to catch up later)

And she see's the attention her sister is getting. Then I really think she also did this thinking the guy that got her pregnant will be more prone to stick around.
I wouldnt put it past her to hurt herself just to get extra attention, so I dont know.

Maybe if she does something crazy during the pregnancy I can get the states attention (like that will record it like a hospital stay or something) but I figured there wasnt much I could do which I think is so sad.