You are here

husband relationship with adult child

Lonely2020's picture

I am not really sure where to start so I am just going to type and see where this goes. I have been with my husband for 20 years, He has two kids (now grown). We have a 13 year old daughter. My husband is 14 years older than me. His kids have been a stressor in our relationship since the beginning pretty much. I don't completely blame them, I do think how my husband handles things has a lot to do with why things are the way there are. I think I also play a part. I was in my 20's when he and I started dating. When I first met his kids I didn't know how to handle the situation and it was real awkward and uncomfortable. 

My current situation in this:

Back in November my husband helped his daughter move to California. That was fine, I mean it was discussed planned whatever. I wasn't thrilled but I understood. However, my husband and I ended up getting COVID-19. Even though he was tested (and confirmed positive though he didn't tell me) he kept his plans to help her as his only symptoms was loss of smell. I was having symptoms but didn't get tested right away. Even with the symptoms and getting tested (and I am pretty sure he knew he was positive before he left)  he still traveled (by car with his daughter) knowing that I was having symptoms. The day he left I tested positive. I contacted him and couldn't get through so I called his daughters phone and she sounded "bothered" that I called. I said I needed to talk to your dad. She said he is driving. I said I don't care, I need to talk to him NOW. I was hoping he would decide to come home sooner at the very least by avoiding some of the scenic stops that they were making. He did not. The two weeks he was gone, I was ready to end things. We "talked" a lot about how upset disappointed etc I was. The night he got back was awful. And I started feeling guilty( this happens a lot) but I was still upset. I told him this is it. Nothing like this can happen again. I never expected not to help his daughter, but to post pone things until we were all better as I  of course ended up feeling pretty cruddy. 

Anyways, fast forward to the present. Things going o.k... a couple small bumps, nothing major. Then I find out my husband is going to see his adult kids in Ca. The thing is, he didn't tell me or discuss it with me. Not sure how he thought that would be better being that I would have to find out eventually. However I found out from his Google calender which I have access to. (I'm again not sure why he wasn't up front with me to begin with outside of he figured I would be upset. We haven't really hashed things out yet, and there is a lot I can add to this but with what I have shared so far, I am just curious to see what others in similar situations think.  

My husband has shared that he feels like he needs to be around his adult kids because he feels guilty for not being around when they were younger. Both of his kids are very well off, and very capable of caring for themselves. I would describe their relationship as more like friends than parents/child. Our 13 year old is feeling the affects of this and has her own life. At first she was acknowledged somewhat by her siblings, but now they have not reached out to her for her birthday or holidays. I know this hurts her. She asked her dad why she couldn't go, and he said because she would be in school. Which is right, but why schedule a trip when you know your wife and daughter can't go. Not that I Really want to go, but I do think she should have had the chance to go. My husband has always kept our families separate, even to some extent with his parents, sibling etc. but definitely with his kids. He had visitation, but he never had them over he would meet up with them and do things with them without me. I would force the issue for years, but it really never changed when they were kids. His daughter did start coming around more when she was grown and in a serious relationship. Also when her mom (husbands ex) passed away. When her serious relationship ended it turned into her and my husband meeting in town for drinks/food. Our daughter nor myself were ever invited. I once forced the issue for him to take her along and he did. He messages her a lot saying how he misses her since she moved, sharing old pictures with her of different trips they took together. Also the picture he has on his phone lock screen is of her. When I try to point these things out to him I get accused of being jealous of her. This has been going on for the majority of our relationship and I feel like it's never going to get better at this point. 

JRI's picture

Many on this site would get down on their knees and give thanks that their DH was handling the grown SKs outside the home.  I understand why you were upset about the trip last year when you were sick.  This year, I'm not understanding but I see you are using the name Lonely so I'm guessing that's why.

I would look on this as an opportunity to have some "me" time.  Give yourself a facial, get a massage, whatever.  I think you might guide your child to not expect recognition from the SKs on birthdays, holidays.  They are young adults living their own lives and probably seldom give her a thought.  I was 8 years older than my siblings and was way too busy with my own life.

You seem to be aiming for the "blended" family model but it isn't working and I'd accept that.  If he visits them once a year, so what.  I'd focus on him and your daughter and let him handle them.  I doubt the dynamics will change at this point.

My favorite quote: " Mental health is an ongoing dedication to reality at all costs.  Good luck.

diver111's picture

Great advice from JRI.

Similar situation here. I focus on my life with my two sons and DH. His adult daughter and her family are in another state and he goes to visit once a year. Our lives are separate. I have no interest in being involved (she has been a long-time addict but seems to be doing better right now). I like to keep the drama at a distance. I enjoy my peaceful life and surround myself with my friends and family. 

NoWireCoatHangarsEVER's picture

She is getting to the age where she notices her half sisters from her dad's side don't call her or remember her birthday and don't get her a Christmas present or call or anything. It hurts her.

It does hurt to see your child feeling slighted and forgotten.

I get it.  

Stepdrama2020's picture

You are lonely because he has another woman in his life, that woman is his adult daughter. Secretive or last minute mentioning of plans, he chooses moving her over a wife with Covid. If you take out daughter and asked people to insert another word, that word may very well be mistress. Doesnt feel good does it? I had that in my marriage with ex DH. His mini wife DD was the wife, and more like I was the mistress. Except not the exotic mistress, the type of mistress that scrubbed toilets and washed his clothes.

The above advice is great but I totally get how you feel, LONELY. Also your 13 yr old DD also feels left out because of the half siblings. I can only imagine the long term sadness she may have.

Other than disengaging and keeping yourself busy like above have mentioned I really have no good advice. Your DH sounds wrapped up in his adult DD and NOTHING not even covid can foil those plans. Speaking of that DANG. No wonder our US of A is where its at today. He went travelling knowing he was positive. He could have passed it on to his DD and all the people he had contact with along the way SMH!

The best you can do is have a conversation of your expectations as his WIFE. Other than that, IDK.

Blessings

Merry's picture

Your DH sounds selfish. He tested positive for COVID, didn't tell you, and still went on a roadtrip? It's good his symptoms weren't bad, but he could have spread that virus to others who DID suffer or, worse, die. This type of behavior is one reason why we continue to be in a pandemic. Selfishness.

You and SD don't have to like each other -- you're both adults and you get to pick your own friends. To her, you are just "Dad's wife." And that's fine. Your issue is really with your DH and his lack of communication and his keeping secrets about his plans. Secret relationships are the death of marriages, whether it is an actual affair or just feels like one.

There's got to be a better balance. You aren't saying he can't see his kids. You are just saying you'd like to be part of any decisions and plans that affect you--and his traveling certainly does. You, the wife, should be his primary relationship and he's not treating it as such.

The world does not revolve around him and his kids, despite the way he's acting. If he won't talk through this with you, and I doubt he'd agree to see a marriage counselor, see a counselor for yourself. A therapist will help you work through your hurt and put some boundaries around what you need to feel happy and healthy.

notarelative's picture

I got stuck at "Even though he was tested (and confirmed positive though he didn't tell me) he kept his plans to help her as his only symptoms was loss of smell." 
He drove across numerous states while Covid positive exposing everyone he met. His attitude is one of the reasons we, as a society, can't get this under control.

Rumplestiltskin's picture

This dude likely spread COVID around multiple states. I bet he's one of those who is like "I didn't have symptoms, so i don't know what everyone's complaining about." It's the same selfishness that leads these biodads (and moms) to be like "The situation doesn't bother *me*, so why change anything?" It's a character flaw and leads to discord in every area of their lives. 

CLove's picture

You gave us the bare bones of 20 years and none of it sounds good. Im sure that there was good in there, but what you described is a very selfish, self-centered man who prioritises his daughter over his wife and has excluded you and put you and your feelings to the side your entire relationship.

SO. While you mull things over, read posts on here, look up the term narcissistic and mini-wife, guilty parent, please make an appointment with a lawyer to see what your life would look like without him. Just to see what your options would be. Its never too late to start fresh. And you have your bio to look out for, who has gotten used to being low on the priority totem pole.

You dont mention working. If you dont have one, get a job now. Focus on your kiddo. Focus on yourself, because your partner DOES NOT HAVE YOUR BACK. Youve had 20 years to see who he is, he has shown you. And hes helped spread the virus to many many people, probably caused some hospitalizations and deaths. He has SHOWN YOU WHO HE IS - a person lacking in good character who doesnt have the same values that you do.

Make that consultation appointment today. 

Missingme's picture

I agree 100% with CLove. He knew he had Covid and didn't tel his wife?! WTH? And when you had it, he ignored that and kept on sight seeing with his mini wife?! He didn't care that he would be spreading it to others?! He's taking another trip to visit mini wife and hasn't told you?! And this type behavior has gone on for years?! 

I know it may seem easy for me to say, but that man you're sleeping with only loves himself--really. Please get a job and lawyer and prepare to leave. Please don't waste anymore precious time with him. I'm sorry you've been treated so unkindly. 

LARoman62's picture

My guess is he scheduled it for a time he knew darn well you two couldn't go.  Just like he left you home sick with a disease that has killed 612K in the U.S. alone.  Many people died after initial onset over a few days.  Apparently he wasn't even concerned his own child would be left alone should you have passed. Hell, he was so engrossed in his older daughter that he exposed her, the one he loves so much, and the public at large, to COVID-19.  I think your intuition is right, your marriage is in serious trouble.  Jeeze, It doesn't sound like he bothers with his other adult kid/kids either, just obsesses over the one.  You're describing a kind of psychological incest.  Now, weather it is conscious or subconscious only he can answer that.  People have recommended some great things.  Counseling for yourself is a great way to start.  Making friends away from your husband would help you a lot also, maybe with a lady with a pre-teen girl too so you have things in common.  Save up money of your own just in case you decide to leave.  Just take it one step at a time until you make a decision.  Please, if you haven't gotten your 13 y.o. vaccinated yet, make it your first priority.  The Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine has been approved for kids aged 12-15.  I can relate some as I have a similar issue with my bf and his 24yo son, who he is sickeningly codependent on his son.  

Lonely2020's picture

Thank you, and thanks for your advice, I am considering a lot of options but it is an overwhelming situation so taking it one step at a time is a good way to handle it. We are all vaccinated, and his daughter knew he had it (well symptoms). She did not care and even more ridiculous is that she works in the medical field. 

Missingme's picture

Obsesses over the one daughter, so much so that he left you to battle Covid by yourself. That inappropriate, sickening situation will never change. LARoman has given great advice, IMO. 

Rags's picture

Your DH is not only a shitty father to his prior failed family progeny, he is a shitty father to your daughter as well. Not to mention a shitty husband. Your adult Skids have had their turn to have him be their father when they were 13.  It is now your daughter's turn to have her dad around and fortunately she has you to put your foot up his idiot ass. So... apply foot to idiot ass.  You need to crush him repeatedly with the heart break and bullshit he is perpetrating against your young daughter and against you and your marriage.

Time to give him clarity that this ends now. No more adult kid ass sucking worship fest trips or visits with them. From now on, you and your young teen daughter go. And... immediatly he starts taking his "family" of the three of you only vacations.  Your Skids are adults. His daughter with you is not.

Your DH... is just a dick. Not to mention a complete and total dumb ass.

Grrrrr. This guy pisses me off.

Lonely2020's picture

I need to clarify a couple things that I neglected to on my original post. He does take us places (he loves to travel) and I truly appreciate him doing that. However, when I am upset about things (like his upcoming trip) he likes to bring up the trips he takes us on as a way to defend his actions. 

Missingme's picture

He planned a trip to see mini wife and others without you knowing. Planning departure from a marriage is an ominous situation. I wish you the best. 

MissTexas's picture

"make it up to them" until his last breath. It's apparent in his "help" with the move to CA, her photos on his phone lock screen and his trip to CA without you or your daughter. 

Most of these daddies compartmentalize relationships. In the beginning they don't, but one thing we women eventually realize is we don't have a SK problem, we have a DH PROBLEM.  Mine is the architect of his own hell. Though I absolutely adored him (despite the fact he is much older than me, no sex, no financial security and more...I overlooked a lot and catered to his every whim) he would talk negatively about me to them, which of course changed our entire dynamic.They bond over their dysfunction. Doing things for them or with them is their way of showing them their undying love to SKs. 

As for him not telling you, or sharing with you that he plans to make another trip, this is a playbook they all read from. These "men" do this because they don't want to hear anything from us about it. They CHOOSE to take the path of least resistance because that is what works best for THEM. It's actually VERY SELFISH. The least he/they (DHs) could do is tell us in advance so WE CAN MAKE PLANS to do whatever brings US JOY.

If your DH doesn't "get it" it's because he doesn't want to. I mean, to admit things need to change is self admission that he's a failure as a parent to his first brood. Nothing will change on his behalf where change is not desired, sadly.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this mess. I really feel badly for you and your 13 year old daughter you share with him.

Lonely2020's picture

I want to thank everyone for the advice and support. I wish I had found this page a long time ago. I have learned a lot and see that I'm not alone with this. It has been a rough  20 years and I thought things would. Get better as his kids grew up, but that didn't really happen. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I am Going to  Reprioritize my life his presence in my life. I was actually working on this back in 2019 and then Covid happened which threw a wrench on a lot of my plans. Sadly, I always end up feeling like the bad guy when it comes to his kids. But then I also feel neglected Which was the outcome of this last incident. 

Lonely2020's picture

After a lot of soul searching...I asked my husband to cancel the trip and to reschedule it in November during the Thanksgiving holiday. I told him that is what I needed for us to be together. He refused accusing me of giving him and ultimatum and I guess in a way i did. At first he was very mean and combative, pointing all of my "faults" and things that he has done for me. He said I was unappreciative for helping me with my financial troubles and for trips that we have been on.l We are only communicating through text and email now. Now he has calmed down and has been sending my messages about how much he loves me, misses me etc. and how he didn't mean the things and that he said  them because he was hurting, HOWEVER, he has not brought up the actual reason that things are like they are. It is hard because I do love him with all of my being, and I want to be with him, but I know if I give in, in the long run there will be more issues. I have scheduled to go see a consoler today to work some of this out. 

Missingme's picture

Naw, it's my opinion that he is keeping you on the hook while he gets his legal details worked out. I know that's not what you want to hear. I would definitely be lining out my own legal details if I were you. Very painful I can imagine. Stay strong. There has to be a better life. 

Olivia2020's picture

They can sniff it out pretty quickly when we (women) are done. When we're done, we're done. My experience with the emotional mind F (ahem, roller coaster) is something of the past, thank goodness!). Oh, that used to wear me out, going down those rabbit holes and so off topic. 

One of the last gaslit arguements that exDHNarc conjured up had me crouched down on the bedroom floor crying so hard, I really thought my stomach was coming up and out. All these ugly things he had thrown at me in defense of his DaughterWife and I screamed that I should have let him die. He stopped dead silent. What? I repeated that I should have let him die in the hospital after his prostate removal surgery. He was gushing blood from an abdominal drain tube tear that opened the incision wide open when it tore open as they were wheeling him from OR to PACU. He pulled his knees up to his chest in pain (he was tall, very long legs) and tore it right open but he was still not out from anesthesia. After 3 1/2 hours in PACU is when I could see him and he was out cold, on morphine, from the pain, but no one had discovered the bleeding under the sheets! When I went to pull his body up in the bed, his tall body was slouched down and feet/legs hanging way off the end is when I discovered the gaping wound as I pulled the sheets back first so they wouldn't get tangled in the IV's. He was fading fast and I kept yelling for nurses and making him keep his eyes on mine, blood pressure dropping, machines all beeping, my pulling him to the good side of his body to put pressure on the hole and get him out of some of the pooled blood that the nurses didn't notice nor anticipate, he couldn't even feel it. So that last argument before I left him, I told him I should have let him die because the last 4 years would've been without him on this earth to wear me down to better the lives for him and his two ungrateful daughters, the one was the DaughterWife23 that I caught him in bed with only days after the nuptials. I can't believe that dark thought flew out of my mouth but I'm glad it got him to shut up about what he did for me, he was a total cheapskate with me, and I've always supported myself so he did me no favors at all. No better parting words could've been spoken, ahem...screamed at...that will haunt him until he's dead. Of course do not model my bad behavior, the person I was dealing with was Satan.

So that crap with telling you how much he's done for you....hit him where it hurts so he'll hush up! I feel for your daughter being emotionally abandoned by her dad (if that is the case) and please make sure she doesn't get a boyfriend too young, it's a trend that is too common when the young ladies can see with their own eyes how different they are treated than the step siblings. Keep her close mom!

I wish you the best my dear

Winterglow's picture

What utter tosh! He was "hurting" because his wife would like him to reprogram a long-distance trip so that she and their daughter can go with him? What kind of crap is that?