You are here

Holidays on an ice block...not happening!

sammigirl's picture

I've been disengaged from SD55 for six years now. Of course, as we all know, disengagement is an every day maintenance, especially with my SD living one block up the street; and the drama queen that she loves portraying. I have been civil, but very generic about all family events, since disengagement; my DH sees and spends time with his grown skids whenever and anytime he wishes, no problem, as long as I don't have to be pressured into it.

DH and I have always spent holidays together. This year, I was TOLD that SD was doing Thanksgiving and really never invited; but like I said DH and I have always spent holidays together (36 yrs.). I didn't want to go to SD's for Thanksgiving, but decided it was only for a couple of hours and just up the street, so I went with DH, taking my 99 yr. young Father with us.

Thanksgiving (cold turkey) was more ice cold treatment than ever before, which I expected; for me it went ok, civil, and I was glad to come home with my Father, after a couple of hours. When I asked what the plans for Christmas were, DH stated "SD is having dinner, SS and wife are coming for the day (out of State, 2 hours), that is the plan"; never ask what I might want to do, of course.

My Father lives out of State (3 hours) and lives alone. I do not want my Father to spend Christmas alone and I do not want another "ice block" dinner at SD's. So I discussed it with DH and have decided to go to my Father's two days prior to Christmas, cook him a nice dinner for Christmas Eve, and drive home on Christmas Day, so that DH and I can have our Christmas at home on Christmas evening, thus missing all the Skids gathering. DH seems fine with this; he will visit SS & Wife at SD's for Christmas dinner, up the street.

It feels strange to spend Christmas Eve away from DH, but I'm SO tired of going thru "Ice block" family gatherings. I hope this doesn't cause another drama melt down with SD to DH; but I am tired of trying to hold this family together (giving and not receiving).

I am really looking forward to having Christmas with my Father. I'm so over SD, I am so much better away from her.

enuf's picture

Does your dh notice the ice block treatment from your sd? If you dh notices the ice treatment, what has he done about it? Why does your dh not accompany you to your df for xmas eve? It seems that you have been going out of your way to make dh happy by accompanying him to dd, it only seems fair that he accompany you to visit your df. Especially knowing that your df has been in your dh life as long as you have been married. You are making the right decision by sharing some very treasured moments with your df, these moments will remain in your heart forever, moreover you are doing the right thing by spending time with him. I am sure he looks forward to spending time with you, as it is an act of kindness and love.

sandye21's picture

Your plan for Christmas day sounds very reasonable. But I can see that you feel conflicted as far as what you view as your 'wifely duty' and enduring the 'ice block' treatment vs. spending valuable time with your Father. I'm also wondering if your DH notices SD's ice block treatment, and if so, what he is doing about it. He didn't ask you what you wanted to do. Does he ever do that? If not, there needs to be communication between the two of you about how you will take turns about how to celebrate the holidays.

For instance, DH will be going to visit his family for a pre-Christams party. I will not be accompanying him because, even though I love the rest of his family his brother's wife has become too hostile and catty to be around. I told him I had something else planned but I would rather have a root canal than to endure any more abuse from her. But we seem to both realize the importance of being together to celebrate the actual day of Christmas.

I'll bet SD gives you the 'ice block' treatment other than on holidays, and it has grown old. Time to take a rest from her. If DH wants you to accompany him to visit SD, or wants her to visit your home he must make the choice of demonstrating to SD that you are united, that he cherishes you. Then and only THEN, you will make an attempt at having a relationship with SD.

sammigirl's picture

Yes, my DH notices the ice. He has never covered my back concerning his Princess, long history, even almost ruined our marriage. I'm over that and am handling SD on my own, leaving DH out of it; caused too much stress in my marriage and I have too much invested in 36 years, including property, etc. I wish my DH would go with me, but he is disabled and it is very difficult for him to travel, which he uses as an excuse most of the time. I think it would be good for him to make the trip, but again this only creates argument.

I have made my point the past year about the unfairness of it all and DH knows it, but will never admit it. I am a much stronger person in the past year, because I have taken a very strong stand on boundaries with SD and our marriage; this is just another stand; I will not spend any more "ice" time with DH's grown kids or grown grandkids. My Father thinks very highly of my DH; DH is good to my Dad and they get along well. I have never betrayed my DH to anyone.

Enuf: the fact that you said it was kind made me know I am doing the right thing. I just can't let my Father or any elderly person spend a holiday alone. I brought my Father home to our house for Thanksgiving, for a week. Gimlet: Thank you. beaccountable: I dread the day I'm without my Dad; I miss my Mom very much. (RIP) I understand your grief.

I am just a bit nervous that I will be sad leaving DH home on Christmas Eve. I don't think SD will even look in on him; maybe she will.

sandye21's picture

Sorry to hear your DH does not cover your back. My DH is the same. Like you, I had to place boundaries on both SD and DH about not allowing anymore disrespectful behavior in our home. Know that you are doing the right thing spending Christmas with your Father. You are giving your DH the choice whether he goes with you to visit your Dad or spend Christmas morning with SD. This is more than reasonable. If SD doesn't look in on him Christmas Eve that is a consequence which goes along with his choice. You and I both know (because I've been there), that he will still make excuses for her. No pity for self-inflicted wounds.

sammigirl's picture

_____-------_______

"THIS"""

I look back of the 36 years and realize DH never watched my back and I let it happen. Now I have taken a very strong stand and it is the stand I should have taken many years ago. You might say I caused my own misery, but DH knows now what damage he has done and we are moving forward from this past year; we live more like room mates now and it is difficult.

Thanks for your support sandye21.

enuf's picture

Isn't it sad to get to the last quarter of our lives and have to live like roomates instead of husband and wife. My dh wants the same thing. He wants us to come and go as we want without letting the other person know any of the details such as what you are leaving and about what time you expect to be home, or even if you are heading out the door with a goodbye.

He also has his own accounts and expects me to have my own after being together 26 years and not having to need them. I just informed him that I had been paying for my medication and he looked stunned as he pays for any medical and educational needs his ds of 47 years has. I personally hope he fell like a fool for letting it come to that. However, he just nudged me into feeling more independent and living life without him. I feel stronger and I am now willing to let him go as I can do better by myself. I bet he did not expect that with his actions.

Keep on being strong, it feels good. I laugh more and I am finally enjoying my time on earth. I just stopped taking the medication that made living with him and having to deal with his ds tolerable. You sound strong and willing to make the decisions to make your own life better. Bravo!!!

sammigirl's picture

It is sad that we don't enjoy our retirement years relaxing. My DH and SD are (bottom line) gossips and always have been for the 36 years I've been in the picture. It has caused nothing but hate and discontent and hurt the entire family; and they still do it and will never stop.

I am sorry your DH feels the way he feels about living separate. It hurts! It's not fair to you! I know! I just don't understand why DH's cannot separate their marriage from their past lives. I've just never had a problem doing that. If you read my profile, you will know that it is possible to separate it all and move forward. I've come to the decision my DH and grown SD are narcissist.

I will not fall into their trap, the way I let them treat me for years, every again. I do not spend Christmas away from my DH because I want to; it is heartbreaking to me; I do it because I refuse to be treated badly on a grateful day.

I hope you can stay strong as well; thinking of you and wishing you peace.

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

OP - Your time to spend with your Father is much more important than putting up with your SD.

Perhaps if you point that out to your husband, he would understand Sadly many men just don't think that way.

You know nothing is going to change in the dynamics with your SD so enjoy Dad, being with him, spending Christmas with him.

sammigirl's picture

I am so glad to hear from you "shes driving me"; I have been worried about you. I hope you are feeling better. Have you had any success with house hunting? Keep us posted on how you are doing.

I told my DH six years ago I was not doing this any longer. I should not have even told him I was disengaging; I should have just did it more slowly. I am now moving much slower and do discuss more with him, in a more civil manner.

I explained to him I felt more comfortable spending Christmas with my 99 year young Father. I stated that I knew I wasn't welcome at SD's and he would have a much nicer visit and time with his grown kids, if I drove to see my Father. I also padded it with spending Christmas evening doing our Christmas, together, at home, which is the plan. I also padded it with my Father is 99 and may not have next Christmas (although is very healthy). It went over quite well and he has never commented; I know he knows I am finished with the games and will move forward with him, or without him. I invited him to go with me and he uses this silent treatment to play is head games; it doesn't work any more; it's his problem, I'm out of here for a few days.

Thank you, I am very excited to spend time with my Dad for a couple of days; Christmas morning I will be spending with my Nephew and family and my Niece and her family, before driving home. I know this will be ok and good for me.

I hope you have a peaceful Christmas.

Indigo's picture

Ah, sweetie, you are a kind, loving woman. Your father will appreciate you and the effort you invest for a Christmas Eve dinner. Your DH can enjoy the Christmas night with you.

I wondered when you went for Thanksgiving to SD's house, how well that would turn out. I thought you were brave to do the "civil/polite" thing with SD since she has actively worked against you for decades. DH is danged lucky that you decided not to divorce him last year, so he should be happy with whatever time you carve out for him.

You have chosen not to live the same life you tolerated for years. Now, you are actively creating your days under a different set of expectations. Kudos. Keep us in the loop.

sammigirl's picture

Thank you for your support.

I've never understood why people don't appreciate what others do for them and "live and let live". I think my DH, and so many mates on this site, do not appreciate the love that comes from the person they live with. If only they would give and not take so much.

Indigo, have a peaceful Christmas.

2Tired4Drama's picture

Sammi, that's the wonderful thing about disengagement. You are ... disengaged! Smile

While you may feel badly now about not spending Christmas eve with DH, you will certainly spend time with him on Christmas. At this stage in life, what difference should it matter whether it's the eve or the day? You will have your time together.

The most important thing is indeed spending precious time with your dad. I sure wouldn't feel a drop of guilt about that, at all. And to be fair, your DH shouldn't be guilty about the holiday time he spends with his kids & grandkids either. He values his time with his kids, just like your Dad will value his time with you.

While it may be somewhat different than what you've done in the past, you and DH can still enjoy alone time together for the holiday - without any other family members around. Seems like everyone will essentially have their time with each other during the holiday.

The only down side is that your DH won't see your dad which I'm sure he would like to do. But that seems to be the choice DH has made - to spend the holiday with his own kids. Maybe in the back of his mind he's figuring he's not getting any younger, either, and he wants to spend the holidays with his kids and grands.

This is the kind of compromise that stepfamilies have to make when the skids or other family members are not welcoming to the spouse. I'd rather spend less quality time together with my DH without skid drama, than a whole day feeling ignored and minimized.

Rags's picture

Good for you for being assertive on what you will and not tolerate from the shallow and polluted end of your DH's gene pool.

Enjoy your day with your dad, and your evening with DH.

Take care of you.

sammigirl's picture

Have great holidays Rags.

It took me a long time to get to this point and thanks to the support I get here.

sammigirl's picture

2tired4drama: Yes, you nail it!

Have a very nice Christmas.

Thank you for your support; it helps more than you realize to read your post here.

Happy New Year!

sammigirl's picture

Thank you for your encouragement StepAside. I am a bit nervous about being away, but will be home Christmas day to enjoy. My mood is also much better for the holidays, now that I've made this decision to never go again for this cold treatment.

SGD30 opened her mouth over Thanksgiving, when I and my Father arrived for dinner. Her comment was "Oh, they're here ummm....", in a very sarcastic voice; my DH was sitting right there. I overheard her, SGD didn't think I was in ear shot. DH was quiet after that; so they show their true colors every now and then. I had to get past the "caring what they think", so I don't care what is said about me; I'm looking forward to "NOT" going to SD's.

You have a nice Christmas and Happy New Year!

sammigirl's picture

No FIL involved Sally: Just my 99 year young Father. He lives out of State and I brought him home for Thanksgiving for a few days. SS57 and DIL are coming from out of State, Christmas morning only, here to SD's. DH doesn't get to visit with them often. SS57 and DIL are good with me; just SD55 and SGD30 are toxic family members. Of course DH's princess55 can't do without making hate and discontent with other family members also; so I'm out of here for a couple of days.

DH and I have no problem separating it all for a day or two and it makes less stress for us. We are both in a good mood for the holidays and I'm convinced that it is this arrangement. I am so relieved I don't have to be around SD and SGD, I'm excited to go to the neighboring State to visit my family alone. P.S. I'm taking my two Dachshunds with me, won't be lonely driving.

I am working at this disengagement very slowly (six years now); it has strong boundaries, since DH and I are back together. Staying away from SD and SGD are my goals. I will have to be around them, in our home, for a few minutes, maybe six times a year; which will include DH's birthday visit or whatever; they give him 15 minutes. I am very determined to never go back to this toxic "ice" treatment. Is Pluto further away than Mars???? }:) I have to look that up!

Thanks for your advice, I value it. I follow your posts.

sammigirl's picture

I AM looking so forward to this trip and time away from SD during the family drama.

Example: This morning, while we're having breakfast, SD55 texts DH to tell him, her cousin was found dead last night. I know the family and feel very badly; but this is DH's Ex's niece. Niece was in her 50's and it was a tragic accident. I truly understand the shock and grief; I've been there. With this said; it will be the topic at SD's Christmas dinner, so I'm very glad I will not be attending. Hopefully nobody else has tragic events like this, but SD won't put it away for Christmas, and I fight depression anyway during the holidays. Every day it's new drama with SD55, even the slightest events; she always adds her twist to everything to keep the ball rolling.

I wish you could be skid free, Sally; believe me this is a first and I am very excited.

Thinking of you
Merry Christmas Smile

enuf's picture

It always befuddles me when individuals use drama to attract attention. Why not just talk intelligently to keeps someone's attention? I am so tired of individuals using drama for attention, as I have found that when that does not work then they up the ante to anger in order to get attention.

I hate being around drama infused individuals and unfortunately there are two persons in my life who behave that way. Ss is still one person who continues to be have this way and no one corrects him, fortunately he will be out of my life when I head out to Arizona. The other person is my ex daughter-in-law who is bipolar. However, I have managed to find a way to redirect her drama to a more positive light which really works. I ignore her behavior once and then if she continues I peacefully tell her that "I prefer a more calm, peaceful environment" while breathing deeply when I tell her. Sometimes I have to tell her more than once, but she usually gets it and I can see her body start to relax and as she no longer has to be on edge to communicate drama. As Cesar, on his series about dogs, be calm and show the dog who is in charge until the dog is in a "calm and submissive state". }:)

sammigirl's picture

I have ignored these two women and it works well; I only wish I could turn off my ears too. }:) My grown SD has to be in charge of everything. When grown SGD comes to town, SHE has to be in charge; so it is a struggle between mother/daughter. I can't take both of them running their mouths and refuse to subject myself again, unless it's for an unavoidable 15 minutes max.

I am very stubborn with my goals. I can be flexible on how I accomplish the goals; but I am too old to tolerate the cool treatment and will do everything to avoid it in the future.

Thinking of you during the Christmas holidays.

notasm3's picture

I'm just a few months away from being 70. I realize that at most I may have another 10-15 years - maybe 20 if I am very lucky (and healthy).

Not going to put up with any crap. The time for "waiting things out" is over.

sammigirl's picture

notasm3; I gave up on waiting for things to change, also. I was to blame for letting myself be used for 30+ years. I am the same age as yourself and have spent the past six years moving forward. Best decision I've made in the past 36 years.

I am doing much better with my disengagement; SD55 is history and she knows it. SD loves drama and tries to keep it alive (being nice to me, etc.), but I don't let her push my buttons any longer. Not to say I don't get frustrated and have a private melt down; but I work at taking care of myself more than ever in my life. I know DH loves his DD and I just have to let it go, ignore SD, and stay away from her.

DH and I are doing better; with that said we have a much different relationship, for sure, but time changes everything.

Merry Christmas

sammigirl's picture

My Christmas was so peaceful. I made the trip out of State fine, even though the roads were a nightmare. DH and I had a nice Christmas evening at home with no skids, when I returned. OSS and wife came, from neighboring State, and spent Christmas with DH and they went up the street to SD55 for dinner. I enjoyed my family for a couple of days, which made my Father very happy.

DH had to tell me all about SD's Christmas; she didn't even put up a Christmas tree. I did not respond to DH's comments and I didn't ask any questions. It was the first Christmas Eve DH and I have spent apart. It was very difficult, but well worth the break. I haven't heard from SD55 nor have I spoke to her, since Thanksgiving. I only wish I had made this break years ago.

I will admit, it's hard to be away from our (DH & I) tradition; I don't believe SD55 thought I would ever stay away. The result: I am at peace, no drama from SD55, and I feel so independent of all the control.

With all of this said; I'm still going to work at keeping this on the high road for 2016; fewer private melt downs.

Happy New Year to all of you. We'll all be here together.

sandye21's picture

Glad to hear your Christmas went well and you enjoyed the time with your Dad. There are still times, especially around the holidays, when I have the urge ask DH about SD - no presents, no card, no call again. I have learned over time to just keep my mouth shut and the urge goes away. I'm afraid if I show any interest in SD DH will think it's time to bring her back into our home again - and I just could not endure her abusive behavior again. One of my best gifts this year was not having to put up with SD.

sammigirl's picture

You are doing right by NOT asking. It is very difficult to feel left out (even though I chose that road), after 30+ years of being involved. I have never had this much peace during Christmas; I realize now how I was inflicting stress upon myself; no one else was doing this to me, but me.

My SD lives less than one block away and presents herself at will; but I have to re-gear myself to ignore her every time. It is getting easier and I do have private melt downs; I go for a long walk and bite my tongue at this time. The abusive behavior is much worse, than not knowing about my SD. I wish I never had to be around this toxic woman again, but I know that is not possible, as long as I'm married to DH (36 years).

You and I, along with many others here have to move forward to keep our sanity. I'm not ever going back to the abusive treatment, EVER!

Hang in there Sandye21, you're doing ok. Happy New Year!

sandye21's picture

"I feel so thankful that I have learned to set boundaries early on. If not for your stories, I would have probably spent years in misery!" Thank you SOOO much for say this - because that is the reason I come back to Steptalk every day, even though I have not been in contact with SD for 5 years. I share my experiences with a SD much like yours, plus when I read that many of the SM's are going through what I did, it reinforces my resolve to never allow it to happen again. (((HUGS)))

sammigirl's picture

It is so encouraging reading stepmomlee1 and sandye21, that you both have found some peace. Setting boundaries was the key for myself also; it was much more difficult than anticipated to do my disengagement. The difficulty came because I let myself be treated badly for 30+ years; then DH couldn't understand why I didn't want to let myself be controlled any longer. "EARLY" is best.

DH is doing better with time and I am doing much, much better. My Christmas and New Years were very good this season.

Thank you for your daily support. Love you guys here!!!!!

Happy New Year!

sandye21's picture

Sammi, I agree that "EARLY" is definitely best. In the early stages in our marriage I was too afraid to say anything. I was afraid if I DID DH would surely leave because his little princess was so special to him, and I didn't want another divorce. I wish I knew then what I know now, that NO marriage is worth that kind of sacrifice and abuse.

About 10 years into the marriage I put my foot down and told DH that SD was not allowed in my home until she showed me respect. But during this first 'disengagement' I would occasionally ask about her and I failed to acknowledge that most of the problem was DH. That lasted a few years. DH assured me she would behave and I let her back in. In a short time the situation was back to usual, SD was more obnoxious that ever, and DH was again routinely throwing me under the bus. With the 'education' recieved in Steptalk, I learned that nothing will change until DH can demonstrate to SD that the marriage is his first priority. Until DH decides to take action, I have made ME my top priority and I will never again waiver from reasonable boundaries. As time goes by the possibility of any reconciliation or caring on my part diminishes. I've found I am much happier if SD is not part of my life.

My Christmas and New Years were great too. And I owe it to your support. Thanks to you too, and have a wonderful year ahead.

Modernworld1011's picture

I spend Christmas day with my daughter and parents too. We all love it. We love it so much that we dread coming home to the ice that is his children refusing to speak at the table, and walking out of the room during gift exchange. The one child calls the whole thing a farce. I guess what he does not get is that it is not a farce for anyone else. I think I will suggest to my husband that they don't visit during that time as they don't enjoy it, or just finish the night at my parents and exchange gifts with him privately. It is so sad that people feel the need to use a holiday to inflict hurt and venom. I am sorry you were put through the "ice" and am glad that you will share the day in a loved space from now forward. Life is challenging enough without people actively trying to make things worse.

sandye21's picture

"--- just finish the night at my parents and exchange gifts with him privately." Sounds like a good plan - until your DH can inform him that such behavior is not allowed in your home.

Modernworld1011's picture

I do wish he could draw those lines, but he does not want his children to feel unwelcome and unable to be in their other home when they wish. In a way I do understand that. I am however next year going to encourage him to remind them of the fact that the same behavior persisted the last two christmas holidays, and if they are that uncomfortable they should make plans to end their visit before the holiday or come the day after. They are in college, so no custody schedule. They have always spent vacation in conjunction with when a set of friends will be home as well, so that is how they have ended up here for the holiday both years.